• Published 17th Apr 2015
  • 13,788 Views, 2,028 Comments

Reformation of the Hives - law abiding pony



War has ravaged the changeling jungles while Queen Twilight Sparkle and Queen Rainbow Dash remain aloof of the conflict. However they will be thrust upon center stage, whether they like it or not.

  • ...
27
 2,028
 13,788

20.5: Meet the Troops

Hushed voices murmured amongst themselves as Captain Rourke finished her presentation on the chalkboard. The briefing room was filled with over a dozen Equestrian captains from the various ships in the fleet along with Princess Luna as acting admiral. Rourke stood at the head of the briefing room with her eyes dancing between Cadista and Luna at the inquiries she knew were coming. “Any questions?” she directed at everyone.

Princess Luna bore a sour face, complete with an intense scowl, one she had been wearing since half way through the briefing. It was a look shared by many in the room, outside of Cadista. “I don’t like the idea of the Steamrunner going off alone like this. You said it yourself, the new cloaking field isn’t perfect.”

Cadista felt personal betrayal resurge towards Kreesus at the mention of her once plentiful crystals. “We’ve had an issue with our admittedly limited production capability. We couldn’t have known for sure if the ship’s size would become an issue with the cloaking field. We had to abridge the shakedown cruise after all.”

“One can hardly blame you for that, Regent Cadista,” Luna said with an almost reluctant tone at such a lowly title for her. “What if the weather changes and the skies turn clear?”

“No plan is perfect, your highness,” Cadista replied with a polite yet firm tone. “Yet it is the best one we have. Polybia’s swarm is simply too large compared to our own to spread it out enough to have a traditional campaign. Not to mention that Chrysalis’ scouts have detected a near constant stream of new drones coming from the southern hive.”

“I don’t like basing our plan of attack on a traitor and the intelligence of a duplicitous queen,” one of the more senior pony officers called out. Cadista and Rourke’s eyes fell upon the bulldozer of an earth pony with the name Spear Point on his uniform. “I am no stranger to suicide missions, both running and ordering them, but the risk of detection is far too great.”

“I firmly stand by my queens, Admiral,” Rourke replied with steel matching Cadista. “Time is of the essence. I fear with Equestria starting to turn more of its industry and marepower towards the war effort, Polybia, in her mental instability, might unleash something truly devastating.”

It amazes me how far Twilight and Rainbow Dash have come as rulers to abide such a terrible risk. Luna tsked at the whole thing, but wasn’t about to argue further. I can’t imagine what they are going through giving such an order to their own children. “If this is going to work, we need to maximize our chances. I’m going with you.”


Rourke was stunned, along with a few of the pony officers. The others, Cadista included, fully expected it out of Luna. “Your company will be much appreciated, your highness.”

Those ponies who were not expecting it started clamoring about her safety with a pegasus commander being heard by all. “It’s dangerous enough for you being in the vanguard as it is, Princess. Surely-”

“I am not here as just a symbol, Commander Flash,” Luna rebuked harshly, cowing the officer back into his seat. Luna took to her hooves and made it a point to stare at each officer in the eyes, to convey what her words could not. “I am here to lend my strength to our friends and allies. My strength does not lay in commanding ships and cunning naval maneuvers.” She turned to the pony admiral. “I would be deferring to you far too often if I remained here.” She resumed her attention on the rest of the crowd. “My place on the battlefield is in the thick of it with the common soldier, and that is where I shall be.

“I will be trusting all of you to play to your strengths as well, for it is through that, that we shall find victory over Polybia and Grogar.”

A brief silence amidst the officers revealed that they knew she brooked no further argument. Shortly, a pale yellow pegasus mare in a skin tight blue uniform stood up. “Then let me and a squad of my best Wonderbolts accompany you.”

“Very well, Captain Sky Flurry, but only the best. Polybia will be suspicious if all of your fliers are absent from patrols.”

Rourke spoke out before any more volunteers could come forward to stand with the princess. “The Steamrunner is already above maximum capacity in our troop quarters. We can only take on a hoofful more.”

The announcement brought about many scowls and hard, yet professional glowers. Luna decided to let the officers brood on their own time. “Flurry, you depart within the hour. The rest of you, get a rotation drawn up for our magi. We have a rogue queen to kill.”


Shortly thereafter, the fleet of seventeen Equestrian warships and the Steamrunner entered a massive cloud bank a few miles south of the ruins of Stripped Gear. Once the fleet was obscured, the Steamrunner broke away while magi on the remaining ships fabricated an enormous doppelganger of the changeling cruiser in its place.

The Steamrunner extended several crystal bound arms around the hull before shimmering into obscurity. However, it was all too easy for the pony observers to spot the rippling air and roiling cloud at the ship’s passage.

The Equestrian admiral puffed heavily on his cigar as worry threatened to compromise his ability to command. I pray those imperfections are unnoticeable at a distance.


Princess Luna was quick to depart the queen’s quarters she was given (in the absence of Twilight and Rainbow Dash), and set out to inspect the troops as it were. Escorting the princess through the halls were two drones being puppeted by their queens.

Twilight was beside herself with worry while Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but to admire the princess’ commitment. “I hope you like my room,” Rainbow said with slight amusement. “Not the best accommodations I admit, but…”

With a thin smile on a hard face, Luna hummed at her. “It is spartan, cramped, and to the point,” she said with an approving tone. “Although I suspect the large bed is put to more use than sleeping, given its owner.”

All Rainbow did in response was to shrug shamelessly. “What can I say, I enjoy my royal duty.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. I swear, sometimes I wonder whether Rainbow influenced Aegis or the other way around. “My apologies, Princess. I was the one who ordered the shipwrights to minimize our quarters so we could accommodate more marines.”

“Nonsense,” Luna declared sternly, catching Twilight off guard. “The last time I was in a real war, I slept in a tent along with every other soldier. It gave me the clarity I feel many generals and… admirals these days forget. I only allowed myself a larger tent for the war table, and nothing else.”

“Hear, hear,” Rainbow Dash cheered. “Makes the luxury of home all the better I say.”

The group was passing through the midline of the ship, closing in on the barracks. The conversation had lapsed enough for Luna to change topics. “How fares your side of battle?”

“Badly,” Twilight stated flatly, sapping the joy out of her sister. “Polybia sent twenty thousand after us. We’ve been able to keep our distance, but it will be difficult to spare a squadron to assist in Kreesus’ defense.”

Not that she shouldn’t be left to rot, Rainbow fumed heatedly to herself. “I’m not worried about that traitor. She’s using the ley line under her hive to conjure up a heavy mana storm around the peak and harden the mountain stone itself. Polybia will have to fight the storm and climb rather than fly. She can hold out indefinitely.”

“It’s why she’s lasted this long in the war, even though she’s been surrounded by enemies for centuries.”

A Jevruun Vrunningee passing along the ceiling brought Luna’s focus on where they were, and the warriors she wanted to see for herself. Especially that bunch of terrorists.

It was not long before Luna and the two queens passed through the final bulkhead and into the forward most part of the marines’ quarters. Luna found herself in the same chamber that Aegis had fought the PCE, only now it was prepared to carry the host of marines within. The large open space in the center had been closed off by removable flooring to allow more bunks and lights. The bunks were two a piece, with enough room for each marine’s equipment.

The marines themselves were standing at attention by their beds, awaiting inspection. The narrow confines made it difficult for each marine to stand in a line while giving the royals enough space to move through, so only half of their number were present.

The closest marine, a lieutenant if Luna guessed correctly clicked his hooves at the royals’ entry. “Royalty on deck!”

All conversation both physical and over the Link died in an instant with every marine snapping to attention. Rainbow Dash took immense pride, smiling broadly, at the display of military bearing. While Twilight would have liked to avoid physical conflict, she too was impressed by the professionalism of her children.

Luna remained stoic however, falling into old habits she had half expected to be forgotten. After quietly nodding to the changeling officer, she walked deliberately slow down the narrow path to do a proper inspection. Good. There’s none of that softness I’ve seen all too prevalent in the Equestrian naval staff.

The first few dozen marines Luna, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash observed were all changelings wearing their drab blue or purple uniforms. Each drone wore the opposite color of their fur. A statement of unity perhaps? Luna mused inquisitively.

Held aloft in their magic was each marine’s weapon of choice, ranging from short swords and shields, to a specially designed short barreled carbine with gas-based flame throwers being just as common. The latter being without fuel at the moment.

Luna’s focus however quickly shifted to the spattering of sphinxes interspersed throughout the rows upon rows of changelings. Both queens quickly picked up on the curious look upon Luna’s face, but wordlessly decided to ask her about it later.

However their patience was not needed when Luna came upon a grecian tom with an NCO rank upon his shoulder. “Yelger Vonbukin… You’re one of the Psykera who’ve joined the PR navy I’ve heard whispers about.”

“It is an honor to serve the sister-queens, your highness,” he said with professional pride.

Luna revealed nothing through her calm mask. “How far does that honor go, I wonder.”

Without a second’s hesitation he replied, “I would march on Gilandrus City itself, if asked.”

Luna only hummed at the statement, keeping her own council. “Let us hope it never comes to that.”

“I concur,” Twilight replied evenly as she followed after Luna. Rainbow Dash lingered behind just long enough to convey her approval with a curt nod towards the NCO.

The inspection proceeded at a careful pace. With the Steamrunner now off on its own, and no signs of Polybia, the trio of royals wanted to be sure there were no possible snares. Save for one.

Located in the far stern-port side section of the barrack, and guarded by other marines, was a large group of former PCE ponies who were more than willing to keep to themselves. “I’m surprised they’re even allowed to remain armed on your ship.”

“They wouldn’t be if they hadn’t submitted to a geas,” Twilight Sparkle replied sourly, and loudly enough for the closest PCE to overhear.

Unlike the marines, some of the PCE ponies had lost any sort of discipline that may once have had. Clothes, weapons, and kit were strewn about as if it were a child’s dirty room. The closest PCE pony, a unicorn mare with a scar across her snout perked an ear at the insult. She and several others quickly spotted Luna but ignored the two drones. She quickly bowed and barked at the others to do the same.

“Your highness, Regiment Commander Sea Breeze at your service. I half expected our little penance regiment would be forgotten once we left Equestria.”

Luna briefly glanced at the puppets, and noticed their eyes were back to that of normal drones. They still do not want others to know of that ability do they? Playing ignorant of the queens’ presence, Luna focused entirely on the former PCE. “Believe me when I say this: the crowns will not forget what you have done. Both past… and present.

“If any of you wish to journey to the Elysian Fields when your time on this plane ends, then act out of honor and penance. Not just so some of you can escape prison and execution.”

“You need not fear our sincerity, your highness,” Sea Breeze proclaimed.

In disjointed unity, the rest of the PCE came to some semblance of attention. “We offer our lives for the preservation of Equestria and the princesses!”

Twilight, Rainbow, and just about every other changeling who heard the declaration internally scoffed or jeered that them. They’re only here because they’ll finally get a chance to kill changelings with the princesses’ blessing, Rainbow growled to herself.

Luna quickly picked up on the growing friction surrounding her. I hope this idea of yours doesn’t backfire on us all, Tia. “I trust all of you, both pony and changeling alike, to keep the peace. There is an enemy to direct such energies toward.”

Twilight mentally prodded her sister. <She’s right about that. Plus I don’t want you abusing the geas keeping them complacent.>

<I’m not about to stoop to their level, Twilight,> Rainbow hissed back, grumbling that it needed to be said at all. <But they’re going in the meatgrinder first. Let that be their penitence.>

Rainbow Dash withdrew from her puppet while casting her focus on the air battle that would soon resume in earnest. This unfortunately forced the poor drone to race away to find some privacy from the ponies and sphinxes before the after effects became uncontrollable.

Twilight bid Luna goodbye for the time being, but only departed her puppet after the drone was away from public. What strange bedfellows we’ve accumulated. That geas doesn’t stop them from fleeing. I hope they don’t flee at the first sign of what actually hostile changelings are like.

While the fate of the Streamrunner and its crew weighed heavily upon her, Twilight’s mind couldn’t shake a troubling conundrum. Everypony is so fixated on the numbers Polybia is showing, but where exactly did she get them all from?

With the focus of her mind back in her body, Twilight sat back in her throne on the carrier’s bridge, pondering the mystery. Yet there was one person who did have an inkling.

Back on the Streamrunner, Cadista was also lost in thought upon her bunk. She was fortunate enough to have a personal, albeit tiny, room. Dearly wishing she had even a lone piece of charcoal and a canvas, instead she poured through her oldest memories. Memories almost as ancient as her race itself, and as dark as the abyss Polybia had perched herself so precariously upon.

The numbers simply don’t add up. It’s too many drones for one queen, and as far as Chrysalis’ intelligence says, only a tenth of those drones are undead. The old, best long forgotten aspect of every living queen today doggedly refused to leave Cadista’s mind. Could we have been fighting nothing but enhanced drones made to look like Polybia? If the dark magic of Grogar has been rotting her mind for the better part of four years… No. Cadista shot up into a sitting position to grab the glass of water nearby.

She chugged the entire glass in one go, her mind reeling at the prospect. Could she have really gone to such lengths as to- Cadista shuddered heavily at the dark thought. The memory was old, far too old for her to get any real context on it, save that it was heavily tainted with disgust, heresy, and unbound contempt. Once you eliminate the impossible, the only thing left, no matter how inconceivable… is the truth.

Polybia must have awakened the Sa'rook Shol'va within her real body.

Author's Note:

It's an aside chapter, not a real one, i know, i know. Dunks under a thrown tomato. But i figured, hey, might as well keep this separate so action battle super special transformation sequence Zoltron won't be interrupted by random exposition on how he's powered through the dragon chaos emeralds of Antioch. In other news, Pinkie Pie has recently invented Super Cake™. This cake is designed to hold your taste buds ransom while taking them out to a nice dinner and a movie while blasting them with chew 5² gum.

Until next time!