• Published 1st Apr 2015
  • 9,123 Views, 272 Comments

Trickster Priest - Fresnor



Equestria has to deal with monsters on a weekly basis but what happens when an actual monster shows up in the from as a once costumed human?

  • ...
29
 272
 9,123

Chapter 37

Xellos yawned as he launched yet another thorn into the base of a vine that was gripping yet another pony. Seeing as he already knew what was going to happen he didn't bother following the six alicorns into the Everfree and was instead watching over Ponyville as they dealt with the latest problem left over from over a thousand years ago. He had contemplated ratting out Discord before they left, but he doubted that the mares would believe him after the recent adventure Twilight had gone on, especially as he let Sunset Shimmer just run on by. His boredom was ended when a ringing sound began to sound from his bag, causing him to grin.

“Well now. It seems that she has finally found that little present I left her.” Reaching into his bag he pulled out a large red book and opened it to the first entry.

Dear Diary, I have no idea where I picked this book up from, but I am glad I did get it since I really needed somewhere to put down my thoughts. This last week has been one of the worst in my life, even worse than when the princess kicked me out of what had been my home for over a decade. It all started when I tried to stole an Element of Harmony from Equestria and brought it to this side of the mirror. I still don't know what I was even thinking back then, but in the end everything collapsed around me and I was left at the lowest point I've ever been in my life. I mean, what was I even thinking?! What would a bunch of high school students have even done against the Royal Guard?

Now the entire school hates me, the portal back to Equestria is closed, and the only ones that will even talk with me are the ones that I probably hurt the most. The only reason that they even have anything to do with me is because SHE asked them to. If it wasn't for her...

No, I can't think like that. This was all my fault in the end. If only it didn't take me turning into that she-demon for me to realize it.

Sunset Shimmer sighed as she looked down at the book in her lap before she slowly closed it. She wasn't sure just what caused her to actually write her thoughts out, but she couldn't decide if it was a good idea or a bad one. Shaking her head she moved to set the book on the table by her bed but she dropped it in shock when it began to vibrate in her hands. Fearfully she looked at the glowing and vibrating book on her floor and only one thing came to mind as she recognized the effect.

“P-Princess Celestia?” The human shakily reached for the book and lifted it up onto her nearby bed. After taking a deep breath she opened it to the latest page of writing before stepping back. Reading over what was now written in the book, Sunset frowned is she realized that it wasn't who she was expecting, but was unsure if she should be relieved that it wasn't her or annoyed with who it actually was.

Well, well, well. It seems that Sunbutt Jr has finally found the little gift that I left for her. So how was your little adventure into villainy?

The teenager winced at the little reminder of what started all this while she tried to figure out just how he had gotten this to her. She quickly realized that the moment in the hall where he had put his arm over her must have been a distraction just so he could leave her this book. After contemplating whether it was a good or bad idea to answer him, she decided to just go with it since it wasn't like there were any others wanting to talk with her lately.

I'd ask how you snuck this book over here, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that. Why are you, Xellos, one of the most dangerous creatures in history that the princess couldn't stop, so interested in me and this world that is devoid of magic?

Sunset frowned as she watched the next blank section of the book as writing began to appear on it in response.

You're right. Paying attention to a unicorn with mommy issues who tries to invade her home with an army of mind controlled teenagers is just too boring to keep an eye on. Babysitting a town being overrun by overgrown weeds is just so much more important.

The former mare rolls her eyes at his sarcasm though winces at one specific word.

Ugh, why does everyone seem to think that Princess Celestia is my mother? Sure she may have taken me in and raised me since I was orphaned, but she was just my teacher!

On his side of the mirror, Xellos chuckled at striking a nerve, and like any good monster would do kept poking at it.

Really? That's not how I read it when I went through Sunbutt's diaries. You were about all she could write about for almost three entire books. Who knows what it is she even wanted to tell you in that one entry that I read to you.

Sunset Shimmer wiped her eyes at reading about what she felt deep in her heart but would never admit to herself, especially after what had recently happened to her. With a sad sigh she wrote her reply.

Why would she ever want someone like me anyways, especially since she has Twilight and those other alicorns now. I'm just a failure that ran away from home who can't even get accepted by a bunch of teenagers even with them being asked to help.

Xellos yawned as he glanced around and spotted Twilight talking with Discord by herself. Seeing that things were still well in hand he tosses a fireball off to the side, freeing the trio of flower sisters from the thorns that had wrapped around them before looking down once again.

Really? I would have thought it would be easy to at least get Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie on your side. Just help Fluttershy out with some animals and Pinkie would be even easier. At least if they're anything like their counterparts on this side. There isn't much that my adoptive niece will forgive if you really mean it.

The mare-turned-girl blinked at what she read and tilted her head to the side in confusion.

Wait, you adopted a pony? And it just happened to be one of the humans that are supposed to be watching over me? Just how did that happen?

With a smirk the monster flipped to the next page of the book.

More like her family adopted me when I first met them over a thousand years ago, but I always did have a soft spot for that crazy family. Though I'm surprised that you didn't know who Twilight's friends were over here. The other alicorn's that you were surprised to find out about just happen to be the same five as the ones she made over there. Why else do you think it was so easy for her to actually get along with them.

Sunset Shimmer's jaw dropped at this information before she brought a hand up to her face. “Oh great, yet another reason why I was such a failure. How could I not even check out what had changed since I was last in Equestria. It had been years since the Princess even wrote to me trying to get me to respond.” Removing her hand she found that the monster had continued writing.

By the way, just where did you learn how to do those spells? Princess Sunbutt had locked away all spells of sorcery away from her ponies since she banished her sister. The only ponies that I know who can cast those spells now are the few that I've taught myself. And then there is that fireball spell you used. I've never seen a spell be modified like that, not even the Dragon Slayer and self-proclaimed sorcery genius could make spells like that.

The girl's cheeks reddened slightly at the praise, as well as some embarrassment, as she looked over at her book with all her notes on the magic, remembering where she found the original notes.

It... Well, I found the spells in one of the Princess' diaries. Most of them were devoted towards drawing power from the sun and I managed to combine them with the fireball spell I found. I have a couple others as well but I never managed to test them since there isn't any magic over here.

She assumed that was probably the reason why he didn't follow her through the mirror but his next words disabused her of that notion.

Oh there's magic over there, but it probably is a bit different than you are used to. I noticed that you still used your horn to cast the spells, but sorcery is not restricted to being used by unicorns. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo are just as capable as Sweetie Belle is at it.

Sunset Shimmer's eyes widened at the names, and knew that if they were anything like their counterparts on this side then she could only imagine the damage those three could cause with sorcery under their command. Still, hearing that magic should still be possible without her horn made her look at her hands.
“Light which burns beyond crimson flame,
let thy power gather in my hand!
LIGHTING!”

When she saw a small point of light appear above her hand she felt a bit giddy, even if it was nowhere near the size she was trying for. It was still magic and was something she had missed ever since she had come to this side of the mirror.

Huh, it actually does work, but it's much weaker than over in Equestria. But if there is magic over here, why didn't you follow Twilight? From how I understand it what happened those couple days would have been the kind of thing you would have enjoyed watching.

The response she read was nothing close to what she expected and actually scared her a little.

Oh, I could probably figure out a way over there, but that would require me to get near the mirror. You see back when Starswirl made the mirror he tossed another monster through but it didn't come out as he expected. The monster race is closer to forces of nature than anything so what went in on this side was nothing like what came out over there. Pity, I actually liked little Grendel. His appetite made him a good partner for eating contests.

Sunset blinked a few times as she recognized the name from an old book assigned in school. The creature described was very dangerous and she could only imagine just what Xellos would come out as. She distracted herself by considering her other spells that she knew and just how they would work over here.

I guess I should thank you. I never thought that magic worked over here. It may not be as strong but at least it's something and even in small amounts can be useful. Though I will not be casting that one spell again, strongest spell my sun-stamped flank. I still don't know why she even HAS a spell that summons an alicorn that proceeded to spank me.

Xellos burst out laughing at reading this as he knew exactly which spell she cast. After hearing how different the spell was on this world he had wondered just how different the spell would be in the end. It had worked just as he expected with his draconic acquaintance, but hearing how the Lord of Nightmares was the mother of the two eldest alicorns told him it wasn't quite intended to be used like that. Finding out that it actually summoned her physical form only gave him more ammo to use against the transformed mare.

Ah, so I see you met your grandmother. Good to see that she at least knows how to discipline others, too bad she never taught Celestia how to properly do so.

Sunset growled as she gripped her pen tighter.

I told you she's not my... Wait, that was Celestia's MOTHER!?

Her pupils shrank as she stared off into space at the realization of just what she had done back then. Little was known about that parents of the princesses, but it was said that their power was immeasurable. For her to have summoned one of them... She just shuddered at the thought. Her attention was drawn back to the book as Xellos sent another message.

So, after having cast the strongest spell in the entire world, how about I teach you one that is nearly as powerful but without summoning directly from your Granny's power.

The teenager frowned at once again being called Celestia's daughter, but at the offer of a spell nearly as strong old habits came back. She knew she should refuse, but the chance to learn something new was always a weakness of hers. Especially when it was a powerful new spell, not that she would ever really use it.

I'm listening.

As Xellos proceeded to tell her about the spell her eyes widened at just what it was. She had seen her mentor's weapon when she had gone out to the training ground once, but the spell described was leagues above it in power. She promised herself that she would become worthy to wield it some day, but first she had to master the spell. Xellos chuckled as he finished writing everything out for the displaced unicorn. This didn't go unnoticed as a voice spoke up over his shoulder.

“Whatcha doing Uncle Xellos?” Looking to the side he noticed Pinkie Pie sitting on his shoulder trying to read the book he was writing in. Closing the book he ruffled the pink ponies mane before sliding the book away.

“Oh it's nothing you should worry about Pinkie. Just talking to an acquaintance. I'm sure you'll meet her eventually.” As the mare gasped and ran off to make plans, Xellos just shook his head before his mind turned towards another problem.

“Well now that the backup plan is in place, just how should I deal with him? Considering just what he can do it just has to be him.” Xellos looked at the dim white gem that was a part of his set of Demon's Blood Talismans. Only the black and blue ones were glowing at this time and he was sure the other two would show up eventually. Though he had a hint of the third, he was unsure just who or what form the most dangerous of the quartet would take, and that worried him as it was the one that he doubted he would be able to do anything about.

Author's Note:

Meant to add much of this last chapter, but it works here pretty well. Have fun figuring out where I'm going with all of this. :pinkiecrazy: