• Published 15th May 2012
  • 502 Views, 2 Comments

The Tour - TechyBrony



Princess Celestia gives a tour of the royal palace to a weary traveler.

  • ...
 2
 502

The Gardens

CHAPTER ONE

THE GARDENS

“I hope I'm not intruding,” the light brown stallion asks as he bows and enters the palace.

“Nonsense,” Princess Celestia replies, “All are welcome into the palace as long as I approve.”

Princess Celestia and the stallion walk through the elegant palace foyer and up the stairs to the East wing. They enter a room with multiple chairs and sofas surrounding a lit fireplace.

“Sit and rest here. You look like you need it.” says Princess Celestia.

“Oh, my most humble thanks, Princess.”

The light brown stallion sits in the arm chair closest to the fire. Feeling a sudden sense of relaxation from the comfy chair, he immediately starts to nod off. Remembering that he is a guest of the Princess, he tries with all of his might to stay awake, but fails.

After a nice 3 hour nap, the light brown stallion awakens to find Princess Celestia sitting across the room reading a book of which the stallion could not see the title. With a sudden realization that he was still a guest of the princess, he snaps fully awake and is extremely apologetic.

“Oh my, my apologies, Princess. It's just that I have been traveling for days without sleep,” says the stallion with the most apologetic tone he could muster up.

“That is quite alright. Was your nap sufficient?” asks Princess Celestia, as she closes the book and gingerly lays it on the coffee table.

“Oh yes, this chair is most comfortable.” replies the stallion.

“It is. I don't believe you have told me your name,” says the Princess.

“Solardancer, but you may call me Solar.” answers Solar.

“Well, Solar, where have you came from?”

“I come have from the Kingdom of Marecia. I am a member of the Pegasus House of Heartstrong, a very prominent and wealthy family, many members of which are close friends of that of the royal family.”

“I have heard of the Kingdom of Marecia, very far away. You traveled all the way here on hoof?” Princess Celestia asks, now with great interest of this mysterious Pegasus.

“Yes,” replies Solar, “I left the kingdom under my own decision. I do not want to be any kind of royalty. I just wish to live a simple life as an average Pegasus. Which is why I am traveling around Equestria. I am looking for a small town to call home.”

“You have come to the right place. Just Southwest of here is a town called Ponyville. I'm sure it would suit you and your needs quite well.” says Princess Celestia.

“ Why thank you, Princess. I probably wouldn't have ever came across it if it wasn't for you.”

The Princess smiles, “I'm still a bit confused. Why didn't you just fly around Equestria?”

“I enjoy nature and all it has to offer down on the ground, which is why I prefer to walk as much as I can, just so I can soak in the beauty of nature itself,” replies Solar while staring of into the distance, reminiscing about all of the animals and plants he saw on his travels.

“That's very beautiful and poetic, Solar,” says Princess Celestia.

The Princess sits and stares at the stallion before her, examining him as he drifts off into a daydream. He has a light brown coat with such a short, shaggy, dark brown mane that is so dark, it is almost black. He has green eyes and a slightly longer muzzle than most other stallions. His strong muscular legs give proof to his take on walking instead of flying. The thing that interests the princess the most is his cutie mark. It is a blue and yellow shield with three pink and blue butterflies in the middle. How odd. That cutie mark looks familiar, but I just can't place my hoof on it.

“Would you like a tour of the palace?” the Princess asks, snapping Solar out of his day dream.

“I would love one. Where should we start?”

“You pick,” the princess answers, smiling.

“I would love to see the gardens.” The stallion says with the most hopeful expression.

“Of course. My gardens are kept up by some of the most prestigious gardeners in Equestria.”

The light brown stallion giggles with excitement as the Princess stands and walks over to the back door of the East wing. “After you,” the Princess says.

Solar bolts out the door and down the winding path to the entrance of the most beautiful and amazing garden he has ever seen. Colorful flowers, winding paths, and majestic statues of Pegasi, Unicorns, and Earth Ponies as far as the eye could see. A huge fountain stands in the middle of all of it spraying water at least 15 feet into the air. The light brown stallion just stands there, wide eyed, mouth agape, trying to take in all the stands before him. Princess Celestia walks up beside him and puts a hoof on his shoulder. Solar doesn't even notice until Princess Celestia speaks.

“Quite a sight isn't it?”

Without looking away from the gardens, Solar nods his head slowly, still trying to comprehend the shear beauty that stands before him.

“This is all yours?” Solar finally asks.

“No.” The Princess answers, “It belongs to anypony who wishes to enjoy it. Well don't just stand there, go in.”

The stallion runs in wearing the biggest smile Princess Celestia has ever seen on anypony. She finds Solar sitting in a small grassy area watching a small bunny nibble at some grass. He reaches out ever so slowly and within about 3 inches of the bunnies head, he stops. The princess stands and watches Solar to see what he is doing.

“It's okay,” the light brown stallion whispers in a soft, caring tone. “C'mon, it's yummy.”

The Princess continues to watch, wondering what Solar is holding in his hoof. She quietly walks a little closer and sits down, without taking her eyes off of the stallion. She is finally able to see what Solar is holding. It's a small piece of carrot that he probably got from the carrot patch they passed along the way.

The bunny looks over at the outstretched hoof and sees the piece of carrot. It cautiously walks over to the hoof, sniffs the carrot piece, and now with a sense of trust in the stallion, picks up the carrot and eats it. Solar smiles, reaches around and picks up the happily eating bunny with utmost care. He holds it close and cuddles it. The bunny, now finished with his gift, notices the warmth of the stallions arms and snuggles in. Solar is beaming with delight.

Princess Celestia decides it was safe to approach and does so. She lays down next to the stallion and watches the now sleeping bunny being rocked gingerly in the stallions arms.

“You really are great with animals,” she whispers, smiling at Solar.

“They are like family to me. Back in Marecia I was constantly in our gardens taking care of the small creatures that resided there. But, unfortunately, my family did not approve of my constant attention to the animals. They found it to be a waste of time, that the animals can take care of themselves. Parts of their reasoning I believed to be true, the animals can take care of themselves, but everypony, every living thing deserves some love and attention every now and then. But my family didn't allow me to follow my dream. So I left. To travel around Marecia, and now Equestria to find a place where I can take care of animals without punishment."

Solar lays the bunny on a soft patch a grass to continue his peaceful nap.

"That's very brave of you, Solar," Princess Celestia says after taking in his heartbreaking story.

“It took a lot of courage to leave. But I'm glad I did it. Your gardeners do a wonderful job of taking care of these gardens, but I have one question, who are all of these ponies portrayed in these statues?” Solar asks quickly changing the subject.

The Princess understands that the light brown stallion no longer wishes to talk about his past and answers his question.

“All of the ponies you see represent a different quality.” That statue over there with the three ponies represents friendship, and the mare with the flag represents victory, and this one-”

“I know what this one is. It's Discord, the spirit of disharmony, first defeated by you, and then defeated once again by six mares wielding the elements of harmony.” Solar says.

“Yes, you know the story, but did you know, those six mare live in Ponyville Southwest of here?” Princess Celestia asks.

“I had no idea,” Solar replies, “I would love to meet them sometime.”

“Well, shall we get on with our tour?” the Princess asks.

“We shall. I am quite hungry though,” the stallion says while holding his stomach.

“Then off to the Kitchen. My expert chefs will whip up anything your heart, or stomach, desires.” says Princess Celestia.