• Published 21st Mar 2015
  • 865 Views, 4 Comments

Buck Nothing - GJT_Productions



Buck Withers, formerly a highschool rival to Shining Armor for Cadance's affections, is transferred to Canterlot and soon finds himself tempted to join the enemy within!

  • ...
3
 4
 865

Temptation

Dearest Lemony Gems,

I'm writing this letter to you because I have been transferred to Canterlot from field service - yes, actually in the castle, although I can't say I'm thrilled about it because who else is there...

I don't know when I'll be able to see you again. I wish I had known you were in Canterlot when those griffons came around, so that I could've written a letter telling you where to meet me. I can't ask for leave, talking to my new CO is too painful a prospect for that. Please write me back if you do decide to go to Canterlot again, miss you so dearly...

Having lots of new experiences working the night shift. I must say those bat ponies are certainly very different from even the pegasi. I heard the griffon defector is going to come on the night shift eventually as well - that's going to be even more interesting. Haven't met Princess Luna, honestly not sure if I ever want to - there's so many rumors and no easy way to tell what's true or not.

Oh yes, almost forgot! I'm going to be a speaker at the award dinner for Terry Broadshank - you probably remember all the times I bored you with facts about his career - that's set later this week. Princess Celestia's going to be the one giving the award, of course - I don't think I've been this nervous about anything in a long time! Maybe you can come to that dinner and watch me speak...

I can't think of anything else to put here. Love you lots, hope to see you soon.

Forever and always yours,
Guard Lower Class Buck Withers, Canterlot Division Night Shift, E.U.P. Guard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above letter, sent to Lemony Gems in Ponyville, in reality downplayed the constant nerves Buck was experiencing the first few days after the transfer to Canterlot. He picked up a few hostile stares from the Lieutenants - Buck's best guess was that they remembered his visit from earlier in their careers and subsequently despised him as a result. The fact that he had been chosen to speak at the upcoming award dinner got him more unwanted attention. Finally, the "official" formation of Guard LARPing and Tabletop RPG groups placed Buck firmly on the wrong side of the popular trends - never a good thing in the Canterlot Guard.

The posters for the new groups were everywhere as Buck proceeded toward the offices of Captain Gibraltar and the Lieutenant Captains. LARPing (or Live Action Roleplaying), Oubliettes and Ogres, Hocus Pocus: The-Get-Together... all haunting him like ghosts of a past he'd rather not remember. The posters all bore the sun cutie mark of Princess Celestia - the mark of a royally endorsed activity. Not participating in such activities not only got you criticism, it actively hurt your future career prospects in the Royal Guard.

Buck was a bundle of nerves as he approached the door to the office of Lieutenant Captain Shining Armor, the "what-ifs" filling his mind. What if he was denied? What if he was berated for his past sins? What if he was told to ask Princess Celestia herself, despite that being against Guard regulations? It took all his willpower just to knock on the door.

"Yes, what is it?" Shining Armor was heard saying, his face hidden behind the folder of paperwork he was assembling, sheets floating around covered in magenta colored magic as the folder was put together.

"Guard Lower Class Buck... Withers, sir. Here for... exemption for award dinner..." Buck replied, his voice having an unusual halting shyness in tone.

"Oh yes, the exemption to be around Princess Celestia." Shining comments in an off-handed tone, the face remaining hidden behind the folder. A sheet surrounded by magenta-colored magic is floated toward Buck as Shining continues his work.

"Take this, fill it out, turn it in to the Captain at the end of your shift." Shining explains in deadpan as Buck grabs the sheet out of mid-air.

"... That's it, sir?" Buck asks, again getting the "missing something" feeling in the pit of his stomach.

"That's it. Unless there's something else you want to discuss, Guard." Shining replies, the folder still blocking direct view of his face.

"No, sir." Buck quickly replies, cutting off the possibility of an awkward silence that would eventually have to be answered in some way.

"Assignments are going to be given out in 10 minutes, Guard. Better report to the Lieutenant." Shining states as a reminder, and the sound of Buck's hooves clopping on the floor as he exits the office seems to be indication that he had taken that advice.

It's only after Buck is out of sight that Shining Armor drops to the desk the folder he was working on, lets out a sigh accompanied by an eyeroll, then quickly continues on the work in front of him...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buck Withers was still en route to report into his Lieutenant when he finds his way blocked by a strange figure - completely cloaked, and with stockings tied around his hooves. Except for glowing red eyes, Buck has no idea who or what he's looking at.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" Buck asks, wondering if he had run into somepony that shouldn't be there.

"It is true that you have a jawline a Guard helmet can't hide, Buck Withers." the figure comments.

"How do you know my name? Do I know you?" Buck asks again, his tone more insistent this time.

"I have my sources, Buck. My name is Snake in the Grass. I am leader of the Agents of Chaos, and I have an offer to make to you." the figure answers.

"I'm not interested in any of your offers!" Buck exclaims, his face contorting into a scowl.

"Not even if they involved Princess Cadance?" Snake tries, and immediately Buck's face flips to a surprised expression.

Buck pauses for a moment, then briefly looks around to see if anypony else is watching. Snake can see it in Buck's eyes - being spurned by a princess, particularly publicly, is not something one gets over easily after all. He can see Buck still wants her, still wants revenge, way deep down under the layers he's put on over the years since high school. Like so many before him, Buck was easy prey to the temptations Snake offered - promise a heart's desire to get followers and pawns in his schemes. With Buck, that deep down desire for revenge made him easy to sway.

"How does this involve Cadance?" Buck finally asks, dropping to a stage whisper as he speaks.

"You cooperate with me, Shining Armor goes away, Cadance is all yours again." Snake simply states, the metaphorical bombshell detonating with the intended effect.

"Yes, I see it in your eyes. You've never gotten over the high school dumping, have you?"

"No, no I haven't." Buck agrees, that fire in his eyes flaring brighter as his expression changes to determination.

"Then I will give you the means to get the revenge you've kept repressed for so long." Snake states, reaching into the cloak and pulling out a small stack of papers.

"What are these?" Buck asks as he takes the stack.

"You read them in place of whatever speech you had prepared for the upcoming award dinner. Two of your fellow Agents will do the rest." Snake explains. "I hereby dub you 'Agent WB'. You do your job, Agent, and you will be rewarded with Cadance herself."

"I understand... sir." Buck replies somewhat hesitantly, quickly shoving the papers into the duty bag he was wearing.

"Good luck then, Agent. Do not fail me." Snake affirms, turning away and around a corner. He stops and hears Buck Withers continuing on his way with a double-time march, doubtless because of not wanting to think too much about what he was getting into.

"Perfect. That fool will get the shining one out of our way for good. With him gone, our resurrection of the chaotic one will not be hindered much longer." Snake says to himself, following this with a chuckle that only one set on evil and chaos could make...