• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 1,400 Views, 83 Comments

Quest for Earth Pony Magic: the Disciple - IMN



When refugees came to Equestria fleeing war, Princess Celestia accepted them with open hooves. Ten years later, their youngest made the castle a little too much his own home; but Sun Light's leisure is about to be challenged rather unexpectidly

  • ...
6
 83
 1,400

Chapter XI. The Earth Pony Conundrum.

“So are you going to tell me what that was about?” Twilight asked as she and Sun Light marched toward the Athenaeum, “between you and Blueblood.”

“Didn't think you'd notice such trivialities,” Sun Light shooed the baby dragon who was chewing on his ear. Again.

“It’s kind of hard not to,” Twilight remarked, “You treat everyone with bluntness, but with him… you cower.”

Sun Light faked a gasp, causing Spike to rear, “if only we weren’t friends,” he faked a dissatisfied tone.

Twilight giggled at his play, “No seriously, what’s up between you two?” she pressured.

“Colt stuff,” Sun Light said with a finally, “nothing you should concern yourself about unless you want the stingy disgusting details of the life of a colt.”

“You make it sound like it’s about peeing or pooping,” Twilight deadpanned.

“What makes you think it’s otherwise?”

Sun Light retort caused Twilight to fake a gag.

Once they reached the Athenaeum, Princess Celestia was in the middle of a heated discussion with Kibitz, “I said no Kibitz, and that is final.”

With that Kibitz finally relented, then excused himself. As he walked past the children, Sun Light said to him, “Don’t worry grandpa secretary, you’ll have your day eventually.” With a snort, Kibitz continued his way.

“Sun Light, good to see you again!” Princess Celestia greeted, “I’m glad that you decided to come despite your lack of fur, it goes to show that the fur does not make stallions,” she quipped.

Only to have Sun Light hiss at her in response.

With a head shake, she replied, “Very mature, Sunny. As a reward, here is the list of what I want you to do.”

She levitated the list and Sun Light snatched it with an ‘hmpf’. “I am a foal of ten years old, maturity is wasted upon me.”

“I can see that,” Celestia remarked with a sly smile on her face, “Can I trouble you to stay here for a moment before you start?”

Sun Light looked incredulously at Princess Celestia before saying, “okay.”

“And can you put Spike down please?”

Sun Light did as he was told, “you’re not going to ask me to strip, are you? Because I’m not doing that.”

Celestia giggled, “No I’m not,” she said before turning to Twilight, “Now Twilight. Can you levitate Sun Light for me?”

Both foals looked at Celestia in surprise.

“I don’t know princess, I mean, I can levitate small objects, but I have never tried that on a living being before,” Twilight said.

“Can you at least try?” Celestia encouraged.

Twilight nodded hesitantly, “Oh boy,” Sun Light said as he prepared himself to receive a spell from an untrained magician.

Purple aura enveloped a stiff Sun Light, Twilight immediately lifted her head, but nothing happened. She tried to pull harder, shaking her head left and right, but still, nothing happened. The more she struggled, the more Sun Light relaxed, the more he relaxed the more guilt he felt that she wasn’t succeeding.

With a final ‘Umpf’ Twilight sat on the ground, the purple aura dissipating from around Sun Light, and he walked toward Twilight then gave her a reassuring pat with a smile.

Twilight looked up and returned the smile and said, “I know you are trying to be nice, but without your fur, you look kind of weird.”

Sun Light’s eye twitched, “I will get you for that.”

“Now, now you two,” Celestia interfered, “Weird furless colts’ aside,” she said while peering at Sun Light from the corner of her eye, causing him to hiss at her again, “This will be your goal for next week training, you will try to levitate Sun Light, even for a hair width above ground.”

“Levitation,” she went on, “Is the most basic of all unicorn spells. Almost every unicorn can do it, however mastering it is another ordeal altogether.” She turned to Twilight Sparkle who looked captivated by her speech, “And that brings us to our lesson for today, we are going to break apart the spell known as telekinesis and figure out how it works.”

The moment she turned around, she saw all the materials that were on her list ready and waiting in a neat pile with Sun Light hugging Spike in the corner with a broad smile on his face, So it’s levitation you are interested in, she thought at the sight of his glittering eyes, let’s see what you can make of this.

Princess Celestia levitated the first book, then motioned to both Twilight and Sun Light to come closer before she started her explanation, “The basic of telekinesis is…”


Evening Star had a lot of work today, he did not know that a few days of distractions would amount to so much work.

His stomach protested his hunger, He knew his son would have prepared dinner for both of them. He thought about how to broach the subject of this morning. He knew Sun Light would shower him with questions and inquiries, it is normal since he didn’t want him to interfere in the first place.

With a sigh he opened the door to the house, only to find it eerily quiet.

“Sun Light!” he yelled but no one answered, he walked to the kitchen and found no one, no plates, no dishes, no food, nothing.

“Now where could that colt be?” he said to himself. But then a loud stomp came from upstairs.

Evening walked toward the source of the noise, which he identified as his son’s room. Slowly, he started to recognize even more noise, scribbling, paper throwing, grunts and shouts of frustrations.

He opened the door to his son’s room, slowly, “Sunny?” he asked before words became lost to him.

The room he opened was nothing like Sun Light’s room. Books stacked in fortresses were found everywhere, the walls were filled with papers and scribbles of spells, calculations, runes, and formulas in the likes of which he had never seen. The bed was turned into a fortress in and off itself, books stacked too high, it might kill a pony if they fall over. And then he recognized the desk, the desk was set up in the epicenter of this great city of books, like a capital of a great civilization. He peered his son sitting on it, candlelight surrounding him, his head between his hooves.

“Sunny, you okay?” Evening only saw this phenomenon once, last year when Sun Light was studying for an exam he was too young to take. And he knew what it meant, something was boggling him greatly.

With a loud groan, Sun Light replied, “I can’t do it.”

“Do what?”

“Levitation, Telekinesis, whatever you want to call it,” Sun Light let out a yell of frustration, “it is impossible for an earth pony like me to do it.”

“Why?”

“Because it requires a pony to be motionless,” his son answered with a groan.

“Motionless?! The horror!” Evening looked agape at his son.

“Oh, I know you’re faking it,” Sun Light hissed at his father’s joke.

“I can’t help it, you’re not making a lick of sense,” Evening walked toward his son then sat next to his desk, “now, explain everything in details, please.”

“Fine, fine,” Sun Light lamented, “First, let me quote what Celestia said,” Sun Light opened a binder that had more sticky notes coming out of it than the feathers on a bird’s wing, “It is a great misconception that you can wave your head and expect something to fly in that direction, you need your hooves firmly planted on the ground and immense concentration to be able to pull telekinesis off correctly, any unnecessary motion will cut down on that concentration and will diminish your telekinetic grab efficiency.”

Evening mused on what his son had just said, “and why is that?” he ended up asking.

“Ah, let me continue,” Sun Light turned the page, “The most basic forms of telekinesis require first and foremost to counter the gravity of the object you wish to grab, this is done by transferring part of its mass to your horn through a weightlessness field which connects your horn to the object in question. In your first lesson, you learned Channeling, in your second lesson you learned Projection. Now you will learn the opposite of projection, probing. And only when you can probe an object correctly can you levitate any and all objects with ease.”

“You know, for a spell that almost every unicorn can use, I think Princess Celestia over-complicated it a bit,” Evening concluded.

“Twilight asked the same question,” Sun Light replied before turning yet another page, “Probing is an innate skill for all unicorns, but for high-level mages, you’re not only required to do it innately but to actively understand how to do it.”

“Did you write down every word Celestia and Twilight have said during today’s lesson?”

“Uh, yeah? I also wrote down their expressions and their body motions just in case I missed something.”

Evening snorted, “I’m beginning to think your cutie mark is for spying not analyzing.”

“I’m not in the mood dad,” Sun Light snapped at is father, “After today’s lesson I went to five different libraries, search for every book I can find about levitation, telekinesis, probing… I researched every word in that lecture from A to Z,” Sun Light stood up and went to one of the book fortresses, “I was so focused that I forgot Spike with me and ended up bringing him home,” He pulled one of the books from the bottom causing all the books in the tower to fall surprisingly neatly on top of each other, revealing a baby dragon snoozing soundly with a gem wrapped between his tiny claws behind it all.

Suppressing to sneer at his son, Evening went to check on the baby dragon, while Sun Light returned to his desk. Picking him up, Spike gave a hearty yawn before cooing at Evening, with Evening cooing back at him, “You know, he is kind of adorable up close,” he told his son, however his comment was ignored by Sun Light returning to his studies, focused as ever.

Evening sighed. Spike gave another big yawn before leaning into Evening’s chest and closing his eyes for another snooze, “Aww, you must be tired little one, let’s get you to bed first, now where did I put Sun Light’s cradle?” but just as Evening turned around, a book caught his eye.

“Telekinesis for Dummies,” he read out loud, “Sun Light, I thought you said that this entire series is a blight on literature.”

“Not hearing it,” Sun Light answered without even lifting his head from the book.

“Yikes, you’re crankier than Cranky,” Evening remembered the donkey coming for a visit today, “continue like that and you might lose what little fur that remains on you faster than even Cranky himself,” he fussed his son’s mane, eliciting a groan in response.

No sooner was it followed with a gurgle from his stomach. Sun Light looked surprised at first, but then he cast a sad look on the portfolio in front of him, Evening nudged his son with his head, “You’ll figure it out after a good meal and a good night sleep; you’ll get it in no time.”

Sun Light looked at his father with a smile, renewed hope drawn on his face. “Guess you’re right, I’ll cook then,” he said while standing from his chair, noticing Spike sleeping in his father’s grasp, “Dad?”

Sun Light wasn’t really sure what to expect, however, one thing came clear from the image he was seeing, his father was definitely cooing at Spike as if he’s baby foal.