• Published 23rd Mar 2015
  • 11,204 Views, 600 Comments

Prisoner of War - Radiant



When captured by the enemy, can one soldier remain loyal to his country?

  • ...
55
 600
 11,204

Chapter Twelve

When I finally began to comprehend anything, I was lying down, staring upwards into the canopy of a tree. After sitting up and taking a look around, I sighed.

“God damn it.”

I was sitting under the only tree in a sea of endless, rolling hills, just like the last time Luna had payed me a visit in my dreams.

“What are we going to do with you, Corporal?”

I didn’t even bother turning to look at the sound of Luna’s voice. “You could always let me go.”

“Were the decision solely up to me, I would actually consider it.” She moved up from behind me and sat down on my left. “You are more trouble than you are worth, do you realize this?”

I gave the princess a sidelong glance before I replied. “Duh. I’m a prisoner, it comes with the territory.”

“Even to the point of picking fights with guards?”

Crossing my legs and leaning forward, I shrugged. “Sure. Not that a fight would have been allowed to go far. I wanted to wipe that smug sense of superiority off his face. I just didn’t think he’d jump me from behind.” I finally gave Luna my attention and looked at her. “What was his problem?”

The princess regarded me with a serious gaze.“You insulted him in one of the worst ways possible.”

I frowned and tilted my head in confusion. “I did?”

Luna nodded. “Indeed, which surprises me, as you have been… somewhat respectful in your time here.”

Shaking my head, I sighed. “What part of what I said was so insulting?” The whole remark was supposed to be insulting, but I didn’t expect a homicidal kind of reaction.

“You called him a… I cannot believe I am actually going to say it— ‘dirtbag’.”

I gave the princess a deadpan stare. “...Really? That’s what upset him?”

Luna frowned and eyed me. “You… you do not have any clue, do you?”

I shook my head.

“Scythe is an earth pony.”

“Okay, so what does dirtbag have to…” I trailed off as it clicked. It’s a cultural thing. “That’s not…” My hand slowly rose to my face as I groaned. “Where I’m from, ‘dirtbag’ is a less flattering way to call someone rude. I didn’t know it could be interpreted as a racial slur. That’s not a line I cross.”

“So it was unintentional?”

Lowering my hand, I nodded. “Yes. Don’t get me wrong, I was trying to be insulting, but not on that kind of level. Still, if that’s all it takes to get your guards to snap and do shit they know they’re not supposed to, they need better training.”

The princess frowned at me. “Our guards have not experienced war. They are struggling to cope with what they are experiencing, and these new feelings, and you,” she pointed accusingly at me with a forehoof, “are not helping, unintentional or not.” She sighed and stared forward, off into the distance. “It also does not help that they see you and are reminded of the friends who have been wounded or lost. It does not matter to them that you were not personally responsible for this. I have spoken with many guards personally, and they have confessed to feeling anger towards you upon seeing you. Cobalt and Prism are an excellent example. They both decided that killing you would help them feel better, and avenge the deaths of their comrades.”

I wonder how the guards assigned to me feel. I started thinking back on my first deployment. That had been years ago and I was still suffering the consequences, and I came from a world where war was commonplace. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like for the citizens of a peaceful place like Equestria, especially those doing the fighting. Having a pretty good idea of what they were going through, I felt kinda bad for them. On the other hand, they were the enemy, so why did I care at all? Maybe it was because they were still soldiers, regardless of who they were fighting for. Being a relatively nice guy sucks sometimes.

After a long silence, I decided to change the subject.

“So how messed up am I this time?”

Luna’s expression became passive. “Four broken ribs, several others damaged, and you nearly had a lung punctured.”

I winced. “Lovely. More things to add to the ‘Shit that’s happened to me’ list.” Sighing, I pushed myself to my feet. “So why are you here this time? Can’t imagine you’re simply here to talk.”

Looking over, I saw Luna shake her head.

“The purpose of this visit was to hear what you had to say about what happened, sooner rather than later.”

“Then I guess there’s nothing more you need from me.” I started down the hill.

“No, nothing in particular.” Luna said. I could hear her following me.

“So what are you still doing here?” As we descended the hill, a road appeared at the bottom. The road snaked its way around, over, and between the hills.

“I am now curious to see what you are doing.”

“Stress relief.” I replied, walking towards the motorcycle that had just appeared on the road. “Since you were nice enough to put me into this lucid state, I’m going to take advantage of it.”

While not perfect, the bike was a pretty decent replica of mine back home, even down to some of the dings and scratches. It handled like a dream, and I would sometimes just go on rides with no real destination in mind, just to get away for a while.

“I remember these types of vehicles from my visits to your world.” Luna said, examining the bike as I hopped on. “I always thought those who rode them had to be somewhat crazy. I see now that I was correct in my theory.”

“In my case, maybe.” I sighed as the princess circled around. “I can’t figure you out. What’s your angle?”

Luna stopped an looked at me. “I beg your pardon?”

“Last time you paid me a visit, you were ready to beat me senseless. This time, you’re acting like you did the first time you were in my head. Are you bipolar or something?”

The princess gave me a dirty look. “I see you are still in your disrespectful state. I will pretend I did not hear that… this time.”

“That’s exactly what I’m talking about.” I said, pointing at her. “You’re just going to let that slide?”

Luna regarded me with a level gaze. “It will take more than some disrespectful comments from a prisoner to get a reaction from me.”

“What about last time? You fuckin’ kicked me.”

The princess closed her eyes, and inclined her head. “The circumstances were different.” Opening her eyes, Luna returned her attention to me. “As for my ‘angle’, that is on a ‘need to know’ basis.”

I rolled my eyes and turned the ignition key. “Uh huh.” Using my right thumb, I pressed the ignition button, and the bike rumbled to life. “Well, I don’t like you being in my head, so would you leave?”

Luna gave me a devious grin. “I believe the phrase is: make me.”

Fucking bitch. I glared at the princess. “Don’t you have laws about being in someone’s dreams without their permission or something?”

“For citizens of Equestria, yes. You do not have that luxury.”

So much for stress relief. The bike and the road vanished. “You know what? Fine.” I sat down and just stared at the princess. “If that’s the way you’re going to be, then I’m not going to do anything.”

Luna shrugged. “Very well. I guess you will not be needing this lucid dream anymore.”

Before I could respond, her horn flashed and everything went black.


Waking up sucks, even more so when you do so in a hospital bed. I knew it was a hospital bed because I remembered what happened, I could hear an EKG, and my chest was uncomfortably sore. Opening my eyes, I gave the room a groggy examination. If I had to guess, I’d say I was in the same room as last time, but for all I knew, all the rooms were the same. Of course, I’m sure none of the other rooms came with guards posted at the door.

“Ah, how convenient. Now I won’t have to come back later.”

Looking from the door to my left, I saw a light blue unicorn in a lab coat studying a clipboard.

“You’re the doc from last time,” I rasped, “the one with the contradictory name.”

The doctor looked up. “Contradictory?” He asked.

“Needles aren’t gentle.”

Needles looked thoughtful. “I’ve never heard my name described in that way. You dislike needles, I take it.”

“Yes.”

The doctor gave me a cheerful smile. “I would suggest you don’t look at your arm then.”

Now that he’d mentioned it, I could feel them stuck in me. Bastard. I decided to follow his advice, and keep my arm out of my sight, and try not to think about it.

“Now then, how are you feeling, Corporal?”

I gave Needles a flat look and deadpanned, “Seriously?”

Needles, still smiling, simply nodded. “You know better than anypony how you are feeling, so rather than guess, I ask.”

I sighed, which caused an unpleasant sensation to go through my chest. “No pain, currently, but extremely unpleasant.”

“Painkillers must be wearing off.” The doctor took a pencil from the top of the clipboard and wrote something down, using his mouth. Replacing the pencil, he said, “I’ll have another dose administered soon. You’ll be happy to know that you are healing well, and should be out of here in a few days.”

“That fast?”

“While it may not be instantaneous, magic does accelerate the healing process.”

“Neat.” I swallowed. “Can I get some water?”

“On your right.”

I hadn’t noticed it earlier, but Private Breeze was definitely one the guards at the door. A quick look showed that she, and the unicorn she was paired with, were wearing neutral expressions. I probably lost any respect they might have had for me, if they had any at all. Looking to my right, I found a glass waiting on the small side table. As I went through the process of satisfying my thirst, the door opened, and Princess Celestia walked in. Since the night guards were on duty, it must have been sometime during the night, and I never would have expected Princess Celestia to make a personal visit at that kind of hour.

“My apologies, Doctor, but I must ask that you leave.”

Needles turned and bowed. “Of course, Princess.”

As he made his way out of the room, the princess addressed the guards.

“Wait outside.”

Both guards saluted. “Yes, Your Highness.”

For a second, I was worried, remembering that pretty much the same thing had happened with Luna, however, unlike that experience, Celestia didn’t appear upset. I would just have to wait and see how things played out, since there wasn’t much else I could do. If I’d pissed them off that much, I’m sure they’d have just let me die. The princess waited till they had all left and closed the door before turning her attention to me.

She regarded me in silence for a moment, before speaking, “If you were a pony, your talent would most certainly be being a nuisance. Scythe was a skilled leader, and now his abilities are being wasted.”

I replaced the glass on the table and shifted around, trying to get more comfortable. As I did, Celestia continued.

“I do not expect you to cooperate with everything we ask, and I expect you to challenge us every step of the way, but to cause this much trouble?” Celestia gave me a long hard stare. “You seem to get along with Sergeant Heartmender and Private Midnight Breeze, so I know you are capable of getting along with us. Why not try to get along with others, or at least keep your mouth shut.”

I returned the princess’s gaze, though having just woken up, and being drugged, I don’t think it had the same effect. “Just because I can be nice to some, doesn’t mean I will be nice to everyone. I can get along with them because they don't treat me like I'm inferior. Besides, if someone is going to talk shit, I’m going to give it right back.”

The princess sighed. “Let me ask you something, Corporal Duran.” I watched as Celestia moved to the side of the bed where Dr. Needles had previously been. “Do you know why you have had it so nice here, even being a prisoner?”

I was going to argue that there was nothing nice about this whole thing, but aside from the two incidents that sent me to the infirmary, nothing else was that bad. I was fed three times a day, had a decent bed to sleep on, someone to talk to, and for a little while, and the chance to waste time outside. Why I’d been treated this way, I didn’t know.

I shook my head and shrugged. “If I had to guess, I’d say it’s because you guys are too damn nice for your own good, or you just don’t know how prisoners should be treated.”

Celestia gave a chuckle. “Yes, I’m sure your way of dealing with prisoners differs greatly from ours.” The mirth left the princess’s face. “I’m going to be honest with you, Corporal. The reason we have been showing you this kindness, in spite of what your comrades have done, is because we do not want to fight you. We wish to be friends.”

“Friends.” I echoed, not fully believing what she’d said. “I don’t think your subjects all feel the same way.”

“Of course it would not happen overnight, but given time, I believe our nations could still have positive relations, even after what has happened.”

All the shit that’s gone down, and she still wants to be friends. It’s not like that hasn’t happened before, but still, why is she so determined?

“All the patrols you sent out make it hard to believe that you didn’t want to fight us.”

Celestia exhaled slowly. “You are still a hostile, intrusive force, and I cannot allow you to run around unchecked inside my borders, even if you were content to stay hidden and not cause trouble.”

I paused to think about what she’d said. It didn’t all add up.

“Using lethal force isn’t the best way to show that you want to be friendly. We’ve lost guys.”

Celestia’s expression didn’t change. “Ultimately, the lives of my ponies are more important to me than yours, and if lethal force is what’s needed for them to return home from a mission, so be it.”

I paused again, running my right hand through my hair, which was probably out of regs by now. I still doubted that I could trust the princess, but she’d piqued my interest.

“What would you do if you knew where we were hiding?”

Celestia perked slightly at my question, like she hadn’t expected the conversation to go in that direction. She probably thinks I’m finally considering telling her.

“I would send an ambassador to negotiate for your surrender.”

“And if that didn’t work?” And it probably wouldn’t.

“I would have you all subdued with as little bloodshed as possible.”

With each answer, the princess seemed to be slightly more cheerful. I could even see the hint of a smile on her lips. She’s got to be telling me this to convince me that everything will be okay if I just give in and talk. I decided to keep going.

“To what end? What’ll you do when you’ve got us?”

Now Celestia was smiling. “I’ll send you home.”

That… wasn’t what I had been expecting. At all.

“Lemme get this straight. You want to find us, convince us to surrender, or capture us, and just... send us home?” At Celestia’s nod, I asked, “Why?

“As a show of goodwill. With the Gate under our control, and your threat removed, we can then begin our recovery. Then, after sufficient time has passed, I would attempt to begin peace talks with your nation.”

I was staring at the princess, almost in disbelief. Based on what she’d said, if it could be believed, I could have been home already. All I wanted to do was put this all behind me, but the pricetag of betrayal, was too high. Looking down at the foot of the bed, I absently rubbed my chest, which was becoming noticeably more uncomfortable as time passed.

Even knowing the cost, and consequences, I still began to have second thoughts. I could end this whole stupid thing right now, and we could all go home. There’s also the chance that no one would find out if I said anything… but I would know. Would I be able to live with that decision? And since I’ve been a PoW, I’m sure I’ll be thoroughly debriefed. Would I be able to keep my betrayal a secret? I must have spend a decent amount of time in thought, because Celestia cleared her throat. When I looked up, her smile was gone, replaced by her mask of seriousness.

“It is quite clear you have been thinking about what I have said. I imagine it changed a few things for you. Have you, perhaps, decided what you want to do?”

After a moment’s hesitation, I nodded. “I have your word that nobody will be hurt?”

Celestia nodded in return. “As much as I can give. If they insist on being uncooperative, then I cannot promise anything.”

“That’s the best I can hope for, I guess… I’m gonna need a map.”

The princess’ eyes lit up, and her smile came back in force. Wasting no time, she moved moved to the door, opening it when she got there.

Celestia leaned outside, and I heard her say, “Bring me a map, quickly.”

There was an acknowledgement, followed by the sound of hooves rapidly leaving. With nothing to do but wait, the princess turned and addressed me again.

“Had I known simply telling you my intentions would have worked, I would have done so long ago.”

I didn’t respond, too busy thinking about what I was going to do. Celestia must have noticed my melancholy demeanor.

“Do not feel bad, Corporal. It was inevitable that we would find your hiding place. You are simply accelerating the process. Do not worry, this will work out to everyone’s benefit.”

“Uh huh.”

A few minutes later, I noticed Celestia’s ears perk. Moments later, I heard it too, the sound of hoofsteps quickly getting closer. A guard soon appeared, trotting through the doorway, and passed a rolled map to Celestia. The princess passed it to me, and I unrolled it over my lap and began studying it.

After looking for a short time, I glanced up. “Is this map up to date?”

In response, Celestia looked to the guard that had brought it, who was still standing in the room.

“As far as I know, it’s current, Your Highness,” The bat pony replied.

Strange that it wasn’t Clipper, but that wasn’t important right now. “You sure? I can’t find the landmark.”

Celestia leaned in and began scrutinizing the map. “I know my kingdom well, what landmark can’t you find?”

Leaning to the side, I pushed her flowing mane out of the way. The act left a weird sensation on my hand, but I ignored it and put my finger on a random spot on the map. Keeping my voice calm and level, I said, “Camp Gullible was next to Mount Got Ya, which isn’t listed anywhere on this map.”

Celestia’s head slowly rose from the map. As it came up, she turned to look at me, a mixture of emotion on her face, disbelief the most prominent.

“What?” I asked innocently. “Maybe if we tried a different–”

“You had no intention of showing me where your friends are hiding.” Celestia stated, not letting me finish my suggestion.

“Of course not.” I said, dropping the act and rolling the map. “I don’t know if you’re being sincere or just telling me something you think I want to hear. Regardless, treason isn’t something I’m going to commit.”

“Then why go through all this? Why not just say so?”

“Because you must think I’m stupid or something and I don’t appreciate it. Plus the look on your fa–”

Celestia’s horn suddenly lit up, interrupting me. I instinctively tried to move away, but the golden glow surrounding me prevented any movement. The EKG began beeping rapidly, matching my heart, as I slowly began to panic. Celestia had to know about my phobia, and the fact that she was holding me in place, and the slow, deliberate way she magically took the map from me made it pretty clear she was quite upset. A panicked look was all I needed to confirm this. Unlike Heartmender holding me before, I couldn’t even squirm in Celestia’s hold. All I could do was grit my teeth and try to keep my panic under control, as my brain screamed at me to do something I could not.

“I do not know why I thought, even for a moment, that you would cooperate.” The princess turned to leave. The guard, glaring at me, followed suite. “Do not think I have forgotten what brought you to the infirmary this time, Corporal. As you have proven that you cannot behave, once you are released, you are hereby confined to your cell. Furthermore, you are forbidden to interact with any guards, besides those assigned to you. Disobey that, and you will be punished further.”

When she passed through the doorway, Celestia’s magic faded and I immediately began pushing myself as far up the back of the bed as possible till I finally began to calm down. Mental note, don’t troll the princess.

As I collected myself, Breeze and another guard retook their position inside the door, which they closed behind them. Breathing heavily, an ache built in my chest, my reward for my sudden movement. Maybe they should have just let me die. Things would be a whole lot easier. Settling in, I wondered If I would get a even get another dose of painkillers.

Author's Note:

You can blame life for how long it took to get this one up.