• Published 15th Jun 2016
  • 504 Views, 4 Comments

Dr Whooves and the Classical Moon - Paganbrony



When the Tardis lands unexpectedly in the middle of the newly built Canterlot Opera House, the Doctor finds himself caught between a mare and a monster as he delves into the secrets hidden backstage...

  • ...
 4
 504

Part One: Screams In The Night.

DR WHOOVES AND THE CLASSICAL MOON.

Part One: Screams In The Night.

Octavia’s breath was ragged as she ran flat out for the first time since she was a filly; just ahead of her was a stallion that seemed to know exactly where he was going and that was headlong into trouble.

The aforementioned Octavia had been up until the sudden arrival of a large blue box practicing with her cello onstage at the newly built Canterlot opera house.

She’d been playing late into the night in preparation of her first major solo performance booked for the next day, where she would reveal her first professional composition.

All of Canterlot’s upper class would be in attendance as the young mare that had spent years honing her craft and was considered a prodigy by her peer’s preformed her piece.

The mare had a grey coat black mane white collar and pink bow-tie, an octave shaped cutie mark and purple eyes, she was considered extremely pretty and many young suitors had tried and failed to make an impact on her or tear her away from her beloved instrument...

Her instrument that now lay crushed beneath the blue box on the stage, the box that when she had stepped from the stage into the wings to get a drink had magically appeared in a gust of wind with a wheezing coughing sound that filled the empty opera hall.

Upon chastising the stallion that appeared from the door on the front of the blue box the young mare and the stallion were stopped from any further interaction by a most bloodcurdling scream emanating from deep within the maze like set of corridors and storage rooms that were behind the stage.

Without hesitating the stallion had expected her to either stay put or to follow him and find the source of the disturbance.

Now Octavia was born into a wealthy family who had instilled in her all the required airs and graces manners and beliefs that came with their position in society, and she was not in the habit of having ‘adventures’ or following strange stallions into dark and foreboding places, however after hearing such a sound sitting by oneself in a moderately lit huge empty room wasn’t her cup of tea either.

So she had given him her hoof and run into the dark with him and now as he slowed down then cantered to a stop she finally caught up, breathing heavily she leaned against the wall next to her, like all the other walls in all the corridors they had run down it was painted a drab green and white striped pattern with oak colored doors every forty hooves or so with matching skirting boards and oak floorboards.

Octavia watched the stallion as he clenched a metal tube that he had fished out from inside his jacket with his teeth, tapping it with his hoof it extended itself; he began moving his head back and forth as the tube sprang into life.

The tip of this strange metal object glowed bright blue and was emitting a shrill pulsing sound that Octavia had never heard before and as it increased in intensity the stallion grunted and snapping it shut stowed it back inside his suit jacket.

“Come on it’s this way…”

“W-Wait… J-Just wait… Before I go any further I demand to know who you are sir and what was that contraption you were waving about… Is that your wand? Are you some sort of stage magician?”

The stallion gave her a look of confusion before he twigged what she was on about; he turned to face her and attempted to explain.

“Sorry about the whole landing on your double bass thingy, it’s just I was in Ponyville and I meant to jump forward a few years to catch up with some friends…”

The way he said ‘friends’ sounded wistful to Octavia who regardless interrupted angrily out of habit at the mere mention her cello was a lowly double bass.

“I will have you know that the instrument you call a ‘double bass’ was in fact a priceless one of a kind cello by the finest crafts pony of his generation! And your childish trick box destroyed it!”

The stallion was taken aback by the commanding tone of the youthful mare that stood upright quivering with rage as she berated him tears welling in her eyes in response to the loss.

“And what dear sir do you mean by ‘in Ponyville’? I have never heard of such a place, and what by her majesty Celestia did you mean by ‘jump forward a few years’ are you some kind of lunatic?”

“Ah yes… Well that might be a bit…”

(Remembering he’d landed in the wrong time the Doctor realized Ponyville wouldn’t have been founded for at least another century or so…)

“I am waiting!”

“…Hard to explain you see, it’s all gone a bit wrong… Listen I’d love to stop and chat but the scream…? ”

Octavia remembered the whole reason she was alone with this stallion and uncertain in the dimly lit passages which way to turn she reluctantly relented and asked the next thing on her mind.

“So did your ‘wand’ tell you which way that scream came from?”

“It’s not a wand it’s a sonic screwdriver… A bit ahead of your time I’m afraid… But never mind that, it’s picking up some sort of residual energy in that direction.”

He pointed a hoof towards yet another identical corridor not far away from where they were stood.

“Did you say a sonic screwdriver? Preposterous you’re speaking in riddles and nonsense… Now if this is some kind of joke some pony is playing on me then I want to know now.”

“Sorry I forgot to ask your name…”

“Hmph… My name is Miss Octavia Melody… And yours…?”

The stallion puffed out his chest and with a dramatic look and tone of voice he addressed Octavia his blue eyes alight with fire.

“Oh I’m afraid it’s no joke… My names the Doctor I come from Gallophrey I am nine hun…”

*AIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!*

The scream cut short the Doctor mid sentence as he and Octavia jumped at the sound only this one was much closer and sounded even more desperate than before.

“Shall we?”

The Doctor asked the mare as she hastily nodded her heart thumping as the shock wore off and the adrenaline rushed back into her system and she took off after the stallion once again.