• Published 1st Mar 2015
  • 692 Views, 4 Comments

The Disappearance of Twilight Sparkle - Charliemane



When a Princess disappears it becomes the job of the Royal Equestrian Police Nationale to find her.

  • ...
1
 4
 692

Chapter 6

“What in tarnation? Applebloom, go get Big Mac and let him know we got another wanderer coming through.”

Applejack opened the large barn door slightly wider, causing the newly raised sun's light to fall onto the sleeping unicorn. The mare stirred slowly at first, but when she seemed to realize where she was, she shot up immediately.

“Whoa there filly, ain't no pony gonna hurt you here. The Apple family is always willing to help a fellow pony who's down on their luck.”

Sunset Shimmer looked at Applejack intently for a moment.

“A-Applejack?”

Applejack stepped back slightly.

“Umm...have we met?”

Sunset Shimmer immediately looked away.

“No, I'm sorry, I just...Do you know Princess Twilight Sparkle?”

Applejack's eyes widened and immediately she was in Sunset Shimmer's face.

“Strange enough, I happen to know her real well. So tell me, what do you know about Princess Twilight?”

Sunset Shimmer sighed as she sat down on the pile of hay that had served as her bed.

“I actually know her pretty well myself, which is why I came looking for her, she hasn't answered any of my letters lately, so I came to see why and now it looks like she's gone.”

Sunset Shimmer looked at Applejack's eyes. Applejack was looking at her with almost the same piercing gaze that Inspector Javanner had given her, but Applejack smiled as she down next her.

“Where are you from, Sugarcube?”

“I don't expect you would believe me.”

“Maybe from a magical portal in Twilight's castle?”

Sunset Shimmer's eyes widened as she looked at the earth pony.

“How did you-”

“Twilight mentioned that she had a pen-pal when she came back from that mirror world. I guess that would make you Sunset Shimmer?”

Sunset nodded as Applejack tipped her hat.

“As you guessed, I'm Applejack. So, if you're a friend of Twilight's, why are you sleeping in a barn?”

Sunset Shimmer's voice grew quiet as she looked out towards the door.

“Evidently, the police think that I kidnapped Twilight.”

“You do look like the pony they described a while back.”

Sunset Shimmer looked at Applejack directly with pleading eyes.

“It wasn't me! I promise! I'm a changed pony! I wouldn't even dream of hurting Twilight! She's my friend!”

“Easy there Sugarcube, I ain't accusing you of nothing. I doubt you'd be staying in my barn if I did.”

“But, who did this? How did they describe them?”

“A yellow unicorn with a red mane. I have to admit, you do look like you fit the description.”

Sunset Shimmer looked at the ground as her mind raced to put the puzzle pieces together.

“When did they release that description?”

“About two days ago. When did you get into town?”

“Last night. How could a unicorn have taken Twilight? Her magic is too strong to be taken out so easily.”

“They think it was a sleeping potion of some kind, but that's all I've heard.”

“That will only keep her out of it for so long. What will they do when she wakes up?”

Sunset Shimmer stood up and began walking towards the door.

“Where's the nearest pharmacy?”

“Where are you going?”

“If the Police Nationale think I'm the culprit, they're going to waste time looking for me. Somebody needs to be looking for Twilight.”

Applejack straightened her hat and walked up next to her as Big Mac and Applebloom approached.

“I think I know just the place we can go that will keep you out of sight while answering your questions. Are you familiar with the Everfree Forest?”


It was a small hut, not too deep in the forest. Sunset Shimmer couldn't even remember the last time she had even looked at the Everfree Forest, but she knew she had never heard of a pony living inside the boundary of its woods.

“Who lives here?”

Applejack smiled as she knocked on the door.

“A friend of ours. She's zebra named Zecora. She may talk a little weird, but there ain't a pony wiser in all of Ponyville.”

Zecora opened the door and smiled as she made eye contact with Applejack.

“Who is this that at my door does rap? Why it's none other than my good friend Applejack!”

“Howdy Zecora, Sorry to trouble you, but I have a friend here who wanted to ask you a few questions.”

Zecora smiled as she turned toward Sunset Shimmer.

“This for you I will gladly do, to help a friend of yours is to help...you!”

Zecora's eyes widened as she pointed directly at Sunset Shimmer.

“Could it be you came to attack?! Do you know her, Applejack?!”

Applejack carefully raised a hoof to show that they meant no harm.

“Now Zecora, I know she looks like the pony the police are looking for-”

“It is not by description that I recognize, but by recalling what I saw with my own eyes!”

Applejack turned and looked back at Sunset who was speechless.

“What do you mean?”

“She bought potions from me this week! She is the one the police seek!”

Sunset Shimmer stepped back as the Zebra pointed an accusing hoof towards her. She had thought that she had grown accustomed to people blaming and suspecting her, but suddenly all of these ponies accusing her brought back the shame she thought she had gotten past.

She wasn't certain when she had started running. It was almost as if she had just regained consciousness as she raced through the woods with tears in her eyes. Uncertain where she should go, Sunset Shimmer paused for a moment amongst some blue flowers and tried to catch her breath and dry her tears.


Princess Luna was already lowering the sun by the time Applejack got back to the farm. She was hungry and tired, but she also knew she didn't have time to worry about herself. Zecora was adamant that Sunset Shimmer was the pony responsible for Twilight's disappearance, but somehow, Applejack just couldn't believe it and she knew she needed to let Sunset Shimmer know.

Applejack carefully poked around the farm. She somehow suspected that Sunset Shimmer didn't have anywhere else to go. Slowly opening the barn door, Applejack called out into the darkened building.

“Sunset? You in here?”

“It wasn't me! I promise! Please believe me!”

Applejack slowly closed the door behind her, but strangely, the barn still seemed to be slightly illuminated, despite all of the light sources being gone. But Applejack paid little attention to that and took a step towards the weakened voice.

“I believe you. It's alright. Just come on out and let's talk about it.”

Slowly, Sunset Shimmer came out from behind a bale of hay at the back of the barn, but what surprised Applejack, was that she was glowing a bright series of neon colors.

“What in tarnation?”

“Applejack, I didn't do it! You believe me, don't you?”

“Of course I do, Sugarcube, but umm...why are you glowing?”

“P-Poison joke, I guess it can tell that I'd rather not be seen by anypony right now.”

Applejack sighed in relief as she sat down.

“Don't worry, Applebloom's been studying under Zecora for a while, I bet she can whip up a herb bath that will fix you up in no time.”

“You've seen it before?”

“Shucks, it gave all of us a hard time, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, all of us, even Twilight was hit by it.”

“What did it do to her?”

Applejack smirked as she slowly got up and approached the nervous pony.

“It made her horn all floppy and useless.”

Sunset Shimmer's eyes widened.

“That's it! That's how they're keeping Twilight prisoner!”

“Umm...what?”

“Poison joke will render Twilight's magic useless. Without her magic, she's just like any other pony!”

Applejack nodded as she turned back towards the door.

“I'm going to fetch Applebloom. We'll get you cleaned up and make a little extra for Twilight. If you're right, we'll want her cured as soon as possible too.”

Sunset Shimmer nodded.

“Can I stay here tonight?”

“Shucks Sunset, you don't need to stay out here, you can stay in the house.”

“No, if the police find me here, they won't think you did anything to help me, but if they find me in the house, they'll arrest all of you too.”

“Now don't you worry yourself about that. Applebloom will get you all set and tomorrow I'll grab everypony else and we'll help you find Twilight.”

Sunset raised her hoof, but Applejack was out the door and gone before she could say another word.