• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 4,795 Views, 439 Comments

The Shield's Protector - Carapace



There is nothing he wouldn't do to protect her from harm, nothing he wouldn't do to show his love. But, whether he was Captain of the Guard or Prince of the Crystal Empire, Shining Armor was her stallion, first and foremost. Her beloved.

  • ...
21
 439
 4,795

17. Writing On the Wall

A beam of sunlight shone through the window, spilling a stream of bright light into the Royal Suite. The mare sprawled out on the bed cringed and curled up defensively, her forehead felt as though it were about to split down the middle.

Damn you, Auntie! Cadence cursed. I know you do this on purpose somehow! This is why Auntie Luna is best princess after Twilight. And me. I’m definitely somewhere in the mix.

Her stomach churned, a hoof leapt to clutch at her belly. The taste of rum was still fresh on her lips. Oh, why did I have to go and challenge Windy? It’s been way too long since I had that much!

The clacking of hooves—two pairs, judging by the cadence—on crystal floor were like cymbals crashing right next to her ears. Cadence groaned piteously, and pressed her muzzle deeper into her pillow. If I pretend I’m not here, I can sleep a little longer, she told herself. Ow, never gonna drink like that again! Never ever again!

“Good morning, Princess!” Tourmaline’s overly peppy voice pounded her ears, like somepony were driving an icepick into her skull. “Come on! We’ve got a lot to do today! Up, up, up!”

Tourmie!” she whined into her pillow. “Just… just take the morning off and lemme sit here and—“ she deftly slipped the pillow out from under herself and covered her head with it “—contemplate my life. Or die. Or demand that alcohol come served with a hangover cure potion. Whichever comes first.”

A snort of laughter made her flick an ear. “I’m afraid we can’t do that, Princess!” Prism’s voice called. “You’ve got Court today, and you explicitly ordered us to make sure that you never slept through it unless you were deathly ill!”

“This qualifies. I’m quite certain it does.”

“I’m afraid not! But, since you’ve chosen to be difficult, I’m afraid you’ve forced our hoof: Tourmaline, kindly relieve Princess Cadence of her pillow.”

“Aye, aye!” Tourmaline practically sang as she stepped around the bed. There was a metallic clank, a steady cadence of hooves, and then a tugging on Cadence’s pillow,. Tourmaline was trying to pull it free. “Come on! You know it’s time to get up, Princess!” With one last pull, she ripped it away from Cadence’s grasp.

Grumbling, Cadence made no move to get up. “I ought to have you both tossed in the dungeons…”

“You could, but you won’t! You love me far too much! And just think of all the gossip about my dinners with Stouty you’d miss out on! Not to mention the chance to help set Miss Frumpy up with her one-and-only!”

I am not frumpy!

… Damn it, Tourmie. She cursed, and planted her left forehoof against the mattress. With a weak push, Cadence rolled herself onto her back so she could fix Tourmaline with a glare. “You’d better have something juicier than ‘he laughed at my jokes’ or I’m going to have to hurt you—oh, why did I think drinking was a good idea?” she groaned, holding her head. A whimper escaped her throat. “Tourmie… could you be a dear and send somepony to visit Field Medic Honeysuckle?”

“Looking for one of her herbal cures?” Tourmaline asked. “Looks like she and Prince Armor were a few steps ahead of you last night—he left some on the nightstand for us to make into tea.”

Prism turned sideways to display the tea tray balanced on her back. “Indeed. He made sure to let me know exactly where to find it, and asked that I let you sleep a bit longer. That said, Court was pushed back to allow you sufficient time to recuperate, bathe, and eat before starting. However—“ she moved to set the tray beside Cadence “—I’m afraid that I wasn’t able to buy us enough time to wrestle you out of bed, so I’d very much like to forgo that if possible.”

Her wit went uncommented on, as Cadence’s full attention was locked on the pot of tea and cup of the steaming ambrosia before her. She made to channel magic through her horn, but stopped when a hot lance of pain nearly split her skull.

No magic while hungover! Bad idea! She whimpered and reached with her hooves, gently cradling the china cup as though it were something of untold value. Ooooh, Honey, you’re a saint! Without any further prompting, she raised it to her lips and took a deep sip. Her eyes fluttered shut, a tiny smile made its way across her muzzle despite her aching head.

“Oh, heavens, this is amazing!” she whispered breathily, bringing the cup close to her chest. “Girls, I may very well have to make Shiny order Honey to move in with us so I can beg her to join the staff and make me herbal teas every day. Valiance, too—otherwise, he’ll grumble and be cross with me.”

“Duly noted, Princess,” Prism replied smoothly. “And how is your stomach feeling?”

“Like somepony shook me up and is waiting for me to burst.” Almost on cue, she tasted bile in the back of her mouth. She brought a hoof up to cover herself, her ears pinned back against her scalp. “Ugh. I don’t suppose either of you brought me a—“

“Right here!” Tourmaline reached down and lifted a metal bucket by the handle, and gave it a playful waggle before setting it down next to Cadence.

“Thank you.” Without further ado, Cadence leaned over the bucket and emptied the contents of her stomach. She retched, the scent of bile and vomit burned her snout. Inhaling deeply, she opened her mouth and heaved once more.

Upon finishing, she remained hunched over the bucket, and wiped her mouth on the back of her hoof. “Okay… fun. How much time did you say I had, Prism?”

“Well, after your little episode, we have just enough time for Tourmie to help you bathe…” Prism sniffed, and promptly wrinkled her nose. “Twice, I think. Tourmie be sure to use the scented salts, they should help knock off the smell of alcohol, and for the love of the Crystal Heart don’t let her leave until she’s looking the very picture of magnificence befitting her station.”

Tourmaline giggled and snapped a quick salute. She stepped over to Cadence’s side and nudged her shoulder. “Come on, Princess, the baths await!”

“Now, wait a moment! What about my tea?”

Prism rolled her eyes. “Take the tea tray as well, Tourmie. I’ll dispose of—“ she waved a hoof at the half-filled bucket “—this mess. And to answer your question more thoroughly, Princess: you have just enough time to give one bit of complaint before we have you whisked along your morning routine until you arrive, at long last, in the Throne Room. So—”

The twins stood on either side of the bed—Prism with her nose still wrinkled at the bucket, and Tourmaline grinning cheekily with the tray balanced neatly on her back. “—let’s hear it,” both said in perfect unison, a routine they so loved to pull the morning after she drank with Shining.

Scowling, Cadence rolled over and kicked the covers off. She placed her forehooves on the crystal floor, grumbling as she staggered out of bed and toward the bathroom. “That’d better be some damn juicy gossip, Tourmie, or you’re toast. And, Prism, don’t think you’re safe—I’ve got plenty of time on my hooves to find your special somepony. Just you wait…”

Their laughter made the very tips of her ears burn as she hurried into the bathroom, her retort cut off by a sudden wave of nausea. They’ll both get theirs. Later. Much later.


After being thoroughly scrubbed—twice, just as Prism Shine had demanded—brushed, and groomed by Tourmaline, and then practically being fed by the sisters, Cadence managed to walk into the Throne Room with her head held high. Though, the wheels in her head were still turning, furiously working to come up with a few ideas.

Their teasing quips, all those little comments on how the public might react if she appeared to hold Crystal Court “hungover and looking as though death and Sombra had relations” would not go unpunished.

Flanked on either side by Stout Heart and Valiance, and with Prism trailing in her wake, Cadence strode through the great crystalline archway, pausing only to nod to the pair of guards in the outer hall, and made her way down the red carpet toward the dais.

Her gaze flitted to Stout Heart. The poor stallion looked as though he’d been through the wringer. His breath was ragged, every step brought a wince of pain, even through his well-practiced stoicism. Vaguely, she recalled that he’d been at the pub, and sat right between Valiance and Shining.

She hummed and stole a look to the Corporal. Something was a bit off in his partner and she had a feeling he knew exactly what was up.

The little twitch at the corners of his mouth, his tell that he was trying his very best to hide a grin, confirmed her suspicion. Stout Heart had been a victim of some silly guardspony shenanigans, and he knew what happened.

A small part of her begged to know, but she smothered it and climbed the stairs to her Throne. Probably one of their drinking games, she mused as she slid gracefully onto the cushioned seat. I’ll bet it was the one where the loser has to do some ridiculous stunt. I can only imagine what Shiny made him do.

Not the time or the place to start questioning, especially if her suspicions were correct—their antics were sophomoric at best, bordering on obscene at worst. A rather strange way to foster brotherhood, but who was she to judge?

“My Princess,” Prism said, “shall we begin?”

Cadence nodded and settled herself in. “I’m ready. Call in the first petitioner, Corporal Valiance!”

“Yes, My Princess,” he bowed and trotted briskly out to the hallway.

Her stomach lurched, the back of her throat burned with bile. Cadence closed her eyes and took a deep breath to help calm her nausea. Come on, relax. Just breathe deep and think of something else. Happy thoughts—the smiling faces of her subjects after she’d heard their needs and offered them aid.

A smile crossed her muzzle as the feeling left her, and the bile settled back into her stomach.

Good. Another crisis averted. I can only imagine what the talk around town would be if I got sick during Court, a shudder ran down her spine. How long before the Council would send a letter congratulating Shiny and I on providing an heir?

“Princess?” Prism called from her place on Cadence’s right. “Is everything alright? How do you feel?”

Smiling brightly, she replied, “Oh, about as well as I was feeling this morning—minus a headache, but with all the fun of my stomach still doing backflips!”

A sympathetic wince. “I’d hoped the tea and breakfast would’ve settled your stomach a bit more. All jokes aside, would you like us to call off Court for the day? If you really are that ill—“

“I’ll survive, Prism. Thank you.” She turned her attention to the doorway, just in time to see Valiance trotting back in.

“Hear ye, hear ye!” he boomed. “Crystal Court is now in session! Her Imperial Majesty, Princess Cadence, presiding!”

Cadence nodded in acknowledgement, all routine by now. “Thank you, Corporal. Please send the first petitioner in.”

“At once, Your Majesty!” Valiance turned in place to address the ponies outside. “Presenting Mister Howlite and Miss Strawberry Quartz of Garnet and Quartz Districts, respectively!”

A couple? Cadence fought the urge to ruffle her feathers. Nothing out of the ordinary, but with her getting back into the swing—and with Shining’s blessing, no less—she should take a bit more time with such petitions.

Wait, don’t get your hopes up quite yet. See what they’re here for.

Howlite—a stallion of pale gray cote and white mane—and Strawberry Quartz—a mare with a soft pink mane and clear, glasslike coat—stepped forward, their gaze down as they approached. The pair stopped a short distance from the dais and bent at the knees, bowing low enough to touch their foreheads against the floor.

“Good tidings and praise be unto you, Your Majesty,” they greeted in unison.

From then on, Howlite continued, “Thank you for seeing us today! Truly, it is an honor to stand in your presence!”

A slight flick of her tail, Cadence let out a sharp breath through her nose. Maybe Shiny has a point. That is getting a bit grating. “Rise, my ponies! The Crystal Court is always pleased to welcome its subjects and hear their interests! Tell me, how might I help you today?”

The pair shared a look, matching blushes colored their cheeks. Howlite took a none-too-subtle step closer to Strawberry and grasped her hoof. “Er, if it wouldn’t be too much trouble, Your Highness,” he began, a silly grin crossed his muzzle, “Strawberry and I were looking to get married—we haven’t yet had a chance to set a date, but we wanted to come before you to ask… uh… Berry, could you?” his face was almost more red than gray as he ducked low and gave her shoulder a nudge.

Giggling, Strawberry Quartz pressed against his side and, much to Cadence’s surprise, looked up to meet her gaze. “We wanted to ask for your blessing, Your Majesty!” she said, her voice full of confidence and joy.

Her tail swished, her ears stood to their fullest height. The corners of her mouth twitched, her tiny smile grew into a full-blown grin.

And then she stood. Howlite and Strawberry quickly bowed low, averting their eyes once again as she stepped down from the dais.

She tutted. No, no, that won’t do. “I said rise, my friends! Please, no need to stand on ceremony today!” she said, her tone light and chipper. “I’m quite honored and privileged that you’d come before me and ask my blessing. Helping ponies find love and maintain their bond is something that brings me joy like no other!”

They raised their heads, blinking owlishly at the command to forgo tradition. “Really?” Howlite asked, his smile back in place.

Cadence raised an eyebrow at him and giggled. “Oh, Howlite, dear! In Equestria, I’m known more as the Princess of Love than the Imperial Princess of the Crystal Empire. Love is my special talent! It’s my thing, just like Prince Armor can put up shields that are nigh impossible to break, finding the spark that brings ponies together is what makes me happiest!” She beamed at the pair, and spread her wings wide. “I’d be happy to give you my blessing—“

“Really?” Their tails wagged, their faces lit up eagerly. Cadence could practically see stars shining in Strawberry Quartz’s eyes.

So cute! I’ll bet Shiny and I were the same around that time! Hiding a smile, she held up a hoof. “I wasn’t finished. I’ll give you my blessing, on one condition,” she let the sentence hang a moment, a tiny bit of the showmareship Auntie Celestia taught her bled into her presentation. Cadence dropped all pretense and beamed. “As Princess of Love, I get to preside over the wedding.”

She blinked and, suddenly, her subjects had her wrapped in a tight hug—a far cry from the crystal ponies who scrapped and bowed and dared not meet her eye. Their jubilant cries of gratitude rang in her ears, drowning out everything else.

Her chest filled with warmth as she wrapped her hooves around the pair. “Congratulations,” she whispered in their ears. “I hope your lives together are as full of love and happiness as mine.”


There was nothing, no force of nature or power known to pony kind, that could take the smile off her muzzle or the joy from her heart. It had been a long time coming, but she’d finally managed to get herself back into her groove as Princess of Love.

Howlite and Strawberry Quartz had only been the first couple of four to come asking for her blessing—each of them were overjoyed, not only to receive it, but to have an offer from their princess herself!

Naturally, Prism Shine made sure to point out a bit of oversight on her part: she hadn’t extended the offer to those she’d already given her blessing to.

Cadence gave an embarrassed chuckle as she stepped into the Royal Suite and kicked off her golden shoes, and levitated her crown over to rest on the countertop. The solution wasn’t exactly easy, but better to offer the chance for ponies to renew their vows than to make them feel as though their marriages were cheapened because she’d been run ragged and too busy to preside over them.

Thank Celestia for Prism, she thought, and not for the first time. If not for her, I‘d be completely lost!

Only now did she understand why Raven was so important to Auntie Celestia. The level of organization it took to keep everything neat and tidy in ruling the Crystal Empire—what remained of it, anyway—was only a tiny fraction of what it took to run Equestria.

Humming idly, she levitated her shoes to rest near her crown, and turned to make her way to the couch.

She froze in place, the sight of a letter resting on the table made her heart leap into her throat. Prism had beaten her back from Court in time to deliver the mail? Was it really that late in the day?

Her eyes darted to the clock. Just past four. Her walk back hadn’t taken that long. Then again, she sent Prism off to make the announcement about wedding vows.

Stalling, she scolded herself, stepping toward the couch with a tremble in her step. Even from afar, Twilight’s neat, pointed script stood out. Like a light in the darkness of night, both a welcome site and one that made her blood run cold.

Cadence forced herself to sit down, biting her lips as her rump came into contact with the couch’s plush cushion, and lit up her horn. Her sky blue magic flickered, almost as nervous as she, and took hold of the letter, shakily bringing it up to float in front of her muzzle.

She took a deep breath and broke the seal with a flick of her magic. Reaching inward, she took hold of the letter and pulled it out.

Almost as though somepony had taken control from her, the letter unfolded itself, and revealed Twilight’s reply:

“Dear Cadence,

“I’m combining two replies into one this time around for the sake of brevity. And because I’ve nearly run out of paper and Quill ’n Sofa won’t have an order in until tomorrow and this can’t wait.

“First of all, I’ve begun my studies of the crystals you’ve sent and come up with two working hypotheses: The first, is that, considering the nature of the Crystal Heart, the Crystal Empire is able to produce crystals that react stronger to magic than those found elsewhere. The second is that, keeping in mind the strength of their reaction, these crystals are able to hold spell enchantments longer and stronger than those used in traditional alchemic experiments. If you have any you’d like me to make in addition, please let me know. Also, as I’m sure you’re aware, I won’t be able to complete this project before the meeting, so this will be more of a preliminary proposal to be given to Lord Alfons—I hope that’s acceptable.

“On to more personal matters… Wow. I’m really unsure of how to address all that you’ve told me. Objectively, the Council does bring up several good points: between his injuries in the forest and the events that lead to Sombra’s regime—what we know, at least—there is a legitimate issue to be had with how Shiny takes care of himself. Or rather, how he doesn’t. You and I both know how he is on that front. Additionally, they make a logical point on providing an heir, see the aforementioned for reasons.

“I wouldn’t dare tell the pair of you to up and have a foal before you were ready—heavens no! That’s a conversation that you and Shiny desperately need to have at some point. Just sit down, discuss, and plan with him.

“As for the point on his future in the guard… I’m of two minds. The little filly in me wants her big brother safe, but also knows that being a guard is what Shiny dreamed about. And the Princess of Friendship knows that, as Captain, Shining Armor is vital to the security of the Crystal Empire and Equestria as a whole, but I can’t ignore his importance as a prince. Either way, somepony isn’t going to be happy with the final decision.

“I don’t recall any provision that states anypony other than one of the princesses or officers of the Royal Guard have the power to dismiss one of their own. Not without criminal offense, at least, but that would go to either civilian court or military tribunal, depending on the offense. Really, the ball is in your court on this matter. That said, you’ve got to talk to him. The two of us could sit down and read through every last book on Royal Guard regulations, but if he finds out we knew about this, he’ll freak out. I doubt he’ll be too happy, since you’ve kept this under wraps for a while, but it’ll be better if he hears it from you rather than being called into their chambers to discuss whether or not he’s picked his replacement yet. At the very least, the two of you can figure out where to go from here.

“I’m really sorry I don’t have anything better for you, but this is all I can suggest. Please, Cady. Talk to him. Tell him what’s going on and why, so he doesn’t get blindsided with this by some politician. I don’t mean to guilt trip you, but, for his services, he’s owed that much. And let me know what you two decide. I’ll support you both in any way I can, and I know Celestia and Luna would do the same.

“Love, Twilight Sparkle. Your LSILBFF.”

Cadence sighed, letting the letter dip in the air in time with her sinking heart. Of course Twilight would be objective on the matter, it was in her nature. It was something Auntie Celestia impressed upon her from the first day she’d taken her on as her personal student.

No easy answer, no way to simply wave her hoof and make the problem go away. Either way she went about it, Shining would have to find out eventually—whether it was from one of the council members complaining that she’d ignored the issues they’d raised, and the logic behind them, or from her own mouth, Shining would learn of it.

Either way would hurt him, she thought, her wings drooped at the image her mind conjured. Cerulean eyes wide and full of dejection, a silent plea for her to tell him it was some sort of cruel joke, his mouth hanging open in a small ‘O’ shape, his ears laying flat against his scalp.

The image alone was enough to make her mouth feel dry. The Guard was his dream. Serving and protecting is part of who he is, and always wanted to be. Her eyes flitted back to the letter, focusing on the passage concerning his importance to the Empire as the prince.

Not to mention, his importance in terms of providing an heir to the Crystal Throne.

Danger would always be associated with his station, an intrinsic fact of being a Royal Guard. Protecting others from harm meant, invariably, putting oneself in harms way.

And he had done so, multiple times. Sombra, Discord and Tirek, protecting small towns on the Equestrian-U.G.T. border from bandits, Shining Armor ran headlong into the fray with a fire in his eyes and horn alight with magical glow, fully prepared to meet his end should it mean protecting just one pony.

Squeezing her eyes shut, Cadence tried to block the memories out. Nights she spent fretting over his safety came in a rush, the way he’d trot into Canterlot Castle with his coat battered, dirtied, and bloodied, his armor scuffed, and a tired smile on his muzzle flashed before her in a rush. Black crystal shards piercing his horn and rendering him magically inert, his weakened body after Tirek drained the magic from him.

All from his sworn duty to protect. A fact he accepted years ago.

But there was something else. Of all the memories, there was one she tried to keep locked away above all others. The closest she’d ever come to losing him.

A vacant smile, his face lined with stress and exhaustion, strong cerulean eyes empty and glowing an eerie green, and echoing, dual-toned laughter.

Her laughter.

Cadence grit her teeth, slowly she opened her eyes and stared at the letter. Reply, she told herself. Thank her for offering help, and let her know that you’ll find a way to tell him. Break it to him easily, so he’s not hurt as badly. She stood, trotting with heavy heart and slow step to her desk, and plopped herself down into the chair.

With a sigh, she lit her horn, floating quill, ink, and paper out of their respective places in the drawer. Dipping the tip of her quill into the inkwell, she mused over her reply.

How to begin? A generic reply? Assurances that she’d “get to it as soon as possible”?

Snorting, she shook her head. No, thank her for offering her advice, and impressing the need for urgency. The vision of Shining Armor gaping at her, eyes full of hurt, returned to the forefront of her mind. Her heart ached at the mere thought, that he would look at her in such a way.

But the alternative was worse. Hurt became betrayal, low-hanging jaw and wide eyes morphed into an angry scowl.

A shudder ran down her spine. It has to be me. Twily is right, of course. Cadence lifted the quill in her magic and brought it to hover over the blank sheet of paper. “Good thing one of us can be objective and not scramble around,” she muttered.

The sound of hooves on crystal made her ear flick to the door. Heavy steps, a more solid sound rather than that of crystal pony hoof.

Either Shining or a guard.

The doorknob turned, Cadence hastily threw open the drawer, stuffed Twilight’s letter into the envelope, and tossed it inside, before closing it with a soft thud. She turned and fixed a bright smile on her muzzle as she greeted Shining, still in his gleaming armor. “Welcome back! How were the trainees?”

Shining gave a tired smile. “Not bad, they’re making progress. A little slower than my liking, but that’s been the story of the program, so I can’t really say too much there.” He strode across the room, smiling as he came close enough to lean forward and steal a kiss from her lips. “Mm, sweet as always!” Shining hummed. “And, suddenly, I’ve got enough energy to wrestle a hydra!”

She hesitated to respond, her smile strained. “Oh. Good. Glad to hear it…”

His ears perked up, his lips curved into a small frown before Cadence could begin to scold herself. “Are you okay, Cady?”

“Me? I’m fine!” Another plastic grin, toothy and bright like she was posing for cameras. “Just a little tired. I had a bit of a rough morning to start off today.”

Wincing in sympathy, Shining looped a hoof around her shoulders. “I forgot you had a bit much to drink last night. You took Honeysuckle’s remedy, right?” At her nod, he smiled, kissed her cheek, and then continued. “Well, at least it was short-lived. Not a fun way to wake up, though. I hope Court wasn’t too much trouble today.”

This time, her smile was more genuine. “Oh, no, not at all! It was a good day,” she said, her tone lighter and more chipper. “I was asked to give my blessing to another couple today, and I decided that it would be a good time to get myself back in the game as Princess of Love.”

“Oh?” His brow arched. “How so?”

“I offered to preside over their wedding.” Cadence sighed, her feathers fluffing up. “It’ll be a little extra work, but it’ll be nice to get back to it again.”

Shining grinned and gave her another kiss. “That’s great!”

Humming at the affection he gave, Cadence beamed. “You’re okay with me doing a little extra?”

“I know how much you like helping ponies find love, Cady, of course I’m okay with it!” His tail swished, he almost seemed ready to bounce on his hooves. “If you wanna get more involved in the city and it means giving you a chance to do something you love, I’m totally on board! Besides, it’s good to see you getting back into the swing of thing—even if that means the return of your love webs.”

Cadence giggled despite herself. “Thank you, Shining.” She kissed the end of his snout and nosed against him, sighing happily.

You need to talk to him.

She could almost hear Twilight’s voice echoing in her head, a stern reminder that she’d put it off too long.

Yes, yes, I know. Cadence drew back and took a breath, readying to bare her burden to Shining. The words were on the tip of her tongue, four words that spelled trouble for any couple.

We need to talk.

But one look into his eyes, how happy he was that she’d gone ahead and done something she enjoyed, gave her pause. A lump caught in her throat. The words wouldn’t come forth, no matter how hard she tried.

Shining blinked and tilted his head, confusion at her change in mood written plainly across his face. Giving a tiny smile, he nosed against her cheek. “Hey, how about we get out and go to dinner tonight? Give the kitchen staff a break and the two of us do stuff together like the old days.”

Warmth flooded her chest, she gave a happy swish of her tail. Time with Shining where they could sit together and relax like they had in Canterlot was precious, and his offer for an evening out would go for a nice change in pace.

No. Tell him.

“That sounds like a great idea!” Cadence said. Though she cursed her cowardice internally, she maintained a smile as his eyes lit up and he kissed her once more.

“Great!” He drew back and grinned. “I’m gonna go get out of my armor and get a quick shower. Can’t have my Princess of Love seen consorting with a pony who smells like a wet dog, can I?”

“Certainly not!” She forced a short laugh. Whether for his benefit or hers, she wasn’t entirely sure. Her smile still in place, she gave him a playful shove toward the bathroom. “Go de-louse yourself!”

Her eyes lingered on him, watching him trot away with a bounce in his step and a merry swishing of his tail. So happy, so lively, a stark contrast to the rundown stallion who’d tried to juggle training, administrative duties, the Court, and her moods a few short weeks ago.

Tonight, she decided. I’ll tell him tonight.

It was far from the first time she’d lied to herself.