• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 1,880 Views, 35 Comments

Their First Date - CrackedInkWell



This is a rule 63 Octavia x Vinyl shipping of their first date from high school.

  • ...
13
 35
 1,880

Part 2: Six o’clock


Octave took Record to one of Canterlot’s cafés, Il Fuoco Della Cucina or, as it’s known in Equestrian, The Burning Kitchen, because he knew that it’s the only in the city that serves authentic Istallion pizza for only a few bits per slice. The only downside is that ponies are offered only a very limited menu from these two bit slices.

Nevertheless, at least they were getting fed, and Octave knew that Record loved cheese pizza.

“Wow, dude,” the white unicorn said after swallowing a bite. “I wish I’d known this place sooner. This has to be the best pizza I've ever had!”

“And it’s not too far from my house,” Octave nodded. “My family usually comes here if we were craving anything Istallion. The pasta is alright, and the desserts are good too, but the pizza is what really stands out.”

“Amen to that!” Record cocked his head back and dropped the remainder of the crust into his mouth.

Octave, meanwhile, picked his glass of soda, only staring at the warped reflections off of the glass. It wasn't until Record snapped him out of his thoughts that the cellist looked up, “Pardon?”

“I said, what are ya thinking? You zoned out for a moment, there.”

“Oh,” Octave blushed in embarrassment. “Sorry, I was just thinking.”

“About?”

“Perhaps it’s just me, but don’t you think that… oh, how do I say this… this all seems rather... forced.”

“Forced?”

“I mean think about it, not less than hour ago, I just found out that my family has found out that I’m… you know. Not to mention that I’m having my first date with you. I’m trying my best to think that I haven’t fallen asleep.”

Record laughed. “I can tell ya, buddy, you’re awake, and this is happening.”

“Yes, but… the way that they’re making us go out, it just seems rather unexpected to me.”

“Huh? How come?”

Octave rubbed a hoof over his other foreleg. “To be honest, I wasn't planning on… coming out to them myself… or you, for that matter.”

Record tilted his head to the side. “You've just lost me.”

“What I mean is that up until recently, I knew that all of you would find out sooner or later about me, but I didn't think it’ll be this soon.”

“What, do ya mean that you’d planned to say something later?”

Octave nodded, “Something like that.”

“When?” The cellist looked up to his friend, “I mean, if you weren't planning on telling us now, tomorrow, next week, next month or next year, when?” Octave went silent. Record sighed, “Look, what happened doesn't matter. I mean, your family is overjoyed that you’re going out with an awesome pony like me, right?”

“I… I suppose so. Record, what-” Octave began to say before he was interrupted by the waitress arriving at the table, and placing down the bill. “Was everything alright,” the mare questioned. The young stallion told her that it was, and paid her the correct amount.

As the two began to leave, Octave spoke up before Record could, ironically enough, with the same question that the DJ had been about to ask. “Huh? Oh, that’s right. Record, please be honest with me when I ask this, but what do you think of me really?”

“What do ya mean?”

“I mean, how do you see me as? Do you see me as your friend, brother, lo-… o-or what?”

Record thought for a moment before replying, “To be honest? Before your dad sent me that letter, I've always seen ya as my best friend, who’s kinda like the uptight brother that I’d never had, as sappy as that sounds.”

“I’m not uptight,” Octave protested.

“Dude... really? You play the cello, listen to nothing except either classical music or movie scores-”

Which I still consider to be classical music,” the gray earth pony interrupted, raising a hoof to accentuate.

“Right, there, you've just shown how opinionated ya are. That you tend to want to have things your own way. I mean, you’re practically an aristocrat, without actually being one. But honestly… I kinda envy ya.”

Octave blinked, “What? You envy me? Whatever for?”

“Brony, are you really that blind to how lucky you really are?” Record deadpanned. “Your dad conducts some fancy orchestra, your mom was literally born lucky, your family is pretty well-off, despite not having any servants, you live on one of the richest streets in Canterlot, AND you play on something that I really suck at. I mean, dude, what you do with that cello is good. Really good, so I won’t be surprised if you end up playing in huge concert halls and all that. Octie, you have a future,” Here, the unicorn gave a sad sigh. “Meanwhile, I’m just somepony who lives with a family that’s always tight on money. Look, I know that I might be somewhat ‘popular’ in school, but I know that once I get out of there, I’ll be forgotten by everypony.”

Octave’s jaw dropped, he couldn't believe what he was hearing coming from his best friend, his date. “Record, do you honestly think like that? How could the pony I envy so much say anything like what you've just said?!”

Record’s ears perked up, “Hold on a second, you envy me?”

“What do you think?!” Octave snapped, “I mean, for Solaris’s sake, you are the very embodiment of everything I’ve ever wanted to be! You’re outgoing, you’re fun to be around, you have the courage to challenge authority when you need to, y-you’re certainly braver than I could ever be! So what that your family isn't as rich as mine, Record? You have a computer on which you create music (although I do question your tastes). But, unlike you, I don’t have the imagination to create music like you do! I’m just someone who plays out whatever is written, and you know how terrible I am at improvising. I don’t know what you do with your buttons and turntable, but you can create a song on the spot that everyone seems to like. So how could I not envy you?”

When Octave’s rant was over, he turned to his friend. Record’s mouth was hanging open slightly, and he took off his shades, staring at the cellist with wide eyes.

“Whoa, that’s what you really think of me?”

Octave took a deep breath, “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, I shouldn't have let my feelings get the better of me.”

“Dude, it’s okay.” Record put a hoof over Octave’s shoulder. “You were being honest with me. So I guess when you’re in the closet for so long, you tend to bottle everything up, right?” The cellist nodded, “Look, from here on out, whatever you feel, don't be afraid to tell me. Besides, we’re on a date after all, and from experience, the best ones I've ever been on are the ones where the other pony is being open.”

“Oh… well, alright. So... we've eaten dinner. What do you want to do now?”

Record shrugged, “I don’t know, I thought you knew.”

“Well, I was rather shoved on the spot on this whole date thing.” Octave replied, “Do you want to see a movie?”

“Like what? There’s nothing good playing now,” Record thought for a moment, but then suddenly stopped. “What’s this place?” Octave looked up to see what Record was staring at. The sign that hung from the side of the building was of a silky black cat with a saxophone, next to it were the words: The Singing Cat. The two young stallions could hear jazz music oozing out through its stylized double doors.

“I don’t know,” Octave admitted. “I've never been in there before.”

Record smiled, “Why don’t we go in?”

“But we don’t know what this place is,” the cellist protested.

“All the more reason to check it out,” the unicorn went up and pushed open the right hoof door. Now they could hear clearly drums, brass, and wind instruments playing wildly, with a mare singing over top of them all. Record looked back at his friend. “You coming?”

Octave paused. He had been told since he was a little colt that he should always stick to places that he knew. This place was something that he was completely unfamiliar with, but looking at Record, he could see that he seemed ready to jump into the unknown with nothing but that cocky smile to invite him in.

“I’m coming,” Octave said, and with that, the two of them stepped into The Singing Cat.