• Published 7th May 2012
  • 1,210 Views, 20 Comments

The Birth of Grenth: Where we went wrong... - Nightshade shadow kitty



The story of a young unicorn filly and her strange new friend and tragedy that befalls them.

  • ...
0
 20
 1,210

Chapter 5: Anger and BloodLust

Mia and Grenth ran as fast as their legs could carry them, well, Mia ran as fast as HER legs could carry her. Grenth could have easily run past her if he wasn’t relying on her to lead the way. He didn’t really know where he was going.

“We’re almost there!” Cried Mia as they approached her house.

Now that he knew where to go he went into full gallop as his body slowly began to disappear.

***

Tyrant stood over Farune’s body, his hoof still pressing on her throat. She had stopped struggling but he kept his hoof there for good measure.

He lowered his head so that his mouth was by her ear. “You brought this on yourself Farune.” He whispered into her ear.

He brought his head back up and raised a hoof and prepared to crush her skull, just to make sure she was dead.
He began to bring his hoof down when something slammed into his side with tremendous force. The impact sent him flying and he spat out blood as he slammed into ground.

He could feel something standing on him. He looked up and glowing red eyes stared down on him filled with feral rage. Tyrant swung his head around and attempted to slash his attacker but his horn phased right through without leaving so much as a mark.

“What!?”

Grenth smiled darkly.

“Impossible! How can you attack me physically and still be immune to physical attacks!? What are you!?”

Grenth lowered his head to Tyrants ear. “A demon.” He whispered darkly before tearing off Tyrant’s ear with his razor sharp teeth. The taste of copper drove Grenth’s senses wild, awakening a dark urge for violence and blood.

Tyrant cried out in pain and shot his hoof out instinctively. To both their surprise it made contact and sent Grenth flying backwards. He was on his hooves almost instantly charging towards the shadowy creature with his horn lowered.
Grenth stood his ground and smiled, his sharp teeth shining in the fading light. Tyrant passed through him and collided with a wall, breaking his horn. He cried out in pain.

He let out a gasp as something icy cold began wrapping around his waist and legs, lifting him into the air.
Grenth’s tendrils slammed Tyrant into the ground then raised him up again before slamming him into the ground once more. He continued smashing Tyrant a dozen or more times, with increasing ferocity, smiling all the while.

“Now I see why Abaddon enjoyed this so much... it’s rather entertaining...”

“Grenth that’s enough...” Mia said under her breath, her whole body trembling with fear.

He either couldn’t hear her or simply ignored her as he began dragging Tyrant’s bloody form across the ground harshly.

“Grenth please stop...”

He forced Tyrant through a wall.

“Please... that’s enough...”

He snapped one of Tyrant’s legs.

“GRENTH THAT’S ENOUGH!!!”

Grenth instantly ceased his onslaught and dropped Tyrant on the ground harshly. The bloodlust quickly faded.
He turned to face Mia looking ashamed.

“Sorry... I’m really sorry... I...I got carried away...”

She walked past him and glanced at her father’s broken form. He was still breathing but barely. She disregarded him and walked over to her mother.

“Mommy? Are you okay?”

No reply.

“Mommy, I’m here. Please wake up...”

Still nothing.

“M...mommy?”

A black tendril slithered past Mia and touched the back of Farune’s neck.
Farune gasped from the shock of the ice cold sensation and began coughing and gasping for breath.

“MOMMY!” Cried Mia as she wrapped her hooves around her mother who returned the hug.

“It’s *cough* alright dear. I’m *cough* alright.”

Farune looked around and noticed Tyrant’s broken form.

“W...What happened?”

Mia looked a little sheepish and buried her face in her mother’s mane.

“My friend happened...”

Farune now noticed the shadowy colt standing nearby. He shifted uncomfortably under her gaze. She smiled warmly at him.

“Thank you for saving us.” A tear rolled down her cheek.

“Um... sure... anytime...” If he could blush he would have.

Farune got to her feet. She struggled to keep her balance for a moment but finally corrected herself. She noticed that her saddlebags where on the ground, their contents scattered about. She let out a sigh and began returning the items to her saddlebags. Mia and Grenth helped the best they could.

As they worked Grenth noticed a black book with a skull insignia on the cover.

“Is this...?” He stared at the book then at Farune. “A necromancy spell book?”

Farune nodded sadly. Grenth returned his gaze to the book, an idea forming in his head. He returned his gaze to the mare.

“You wouldn’t happen to know how to use this would you?”

Farune was taken aback for a moment. “W... what possible reason could YOU have for asking somepony to perform necromancy!?”

He rolled his eyes then gestured at himself. “I’m not exactly flesh and blood you know. Besides, there’s one spell in particular I would like performed.”

Farune looked at him with suspicion. “What spell is it you want casting?”

Grenth flipped the book open and skipped to the last page.

“THIS one.”

Farune walked over and looked, her eyes widened.

“Th...that’s one of the most dangerous spells in the whole book!”

“It’s also the only one that can be used to truly resurrect somepony.”

She looked at him then at the book then shook her head.

“I’m sorry I can’t help you. It’s far, FAR too dangerous!”

He lowered his head sadly. “Alright... it was a silly idea anyway...” He perked up again then gave her a confused look.

“Wait a minute... how do you even know about this kind of magic?”

Farune packed the book into her saddle bag and began walking away.

“Runs in the family...”

While she had never told anypony, her entire family were Necromancers. Even she had delved into the dark arts during her youth, but she had given up that way of life when she met Tyrant, though to this day she still didn’t know WHY she had married him.

She turned her head to glance at the two youngsters, signaling for them to follow. They complied and hurried after her.
There was a lot to do. She needed to find a new home, and a job. She couldn’t stay here, not with Tyrant here. He would no doubt recover, and he would be snapping at their hooves until he either killed them or they killed him. Still... she couldn’t bring herself to kill somepony that had been beaten to that extent, no matter how much she hated him...
From now on, things would be MUCH more difficult.