• Published 12th Feb 2015
  • 631 Views, 2 Comments

The Son of Two Worlds - Saelure



The sky has split open, and the world below it threatens to do the same. Magic is disappearing, and nations are falling. But a curious being has taken notice, and Celestia can only hope that he can help.

  • ...
1
 2
 631

Prologue

Splintering, ice-filled wind skitters over my face and fur. With every step my hooves dug into the deep snow. I try to hold my thin make-shift cloak even closer to my body to contain what little heat I had left as the wind picks up. It didn’t help that all I was wearing was a formal gown meant to appear regal and majestic. A lot of good that did me now, torn and covered in blood as it is. But at least I’m not bleeding anymore, what little magic I had did the trick.

How did it even get this bad? The Crystal Empire overrun, everypony captured, and for some reason almost no magic works. Where did those… things even come from? In all my years I had never seen nor heard of such creatures.

And I failed to protect them.
The sudden thought causes my entire body to drop into the snow, and I start to sob uncontrollably.

How could I do that?! I have been their ruler for over a thousand years, and when they need me most, I fail!

My voice of inner reason spoke up.

There was nothing you could do. You were unprepared.

That doesn’t excuse anything!

It wasn’t your fault!

Yes it was!

I lay here in the freezing snow, still sobbing at the thought of my subjects being held captive or even killed by those monsters. I barely even noticed as the cold started to spread even more throughout my body and the darkness began to overcome my mind.

2 Hours Earlier

Twilight Sparkle, my ever-faithful student, trailed close behind me as we walked through the crystal castle’s extravagant halls. She was dressed appropriately for the formal event about to take place between us the princesses of Equestria, and the recently arrived ambassadors.
“Remember Twilight, we must show these visitors that their arrival is important to us and they deserve our respect.”
Twilight nodded, “I understand Princess.”
“Do not misjudge me, my faithful student, I know you will set a fine example before the delegates. But I also know that you have a tendency to… ramble a little when speaking about magic?
She blushed slightly in embarrassment.
“I do like to go into detail.”
I giggled slightly. “I know you mean well Twilight, but all I ask is for you to keep it short and simple. Their time is valuable.”
Twilight nodded once more, though I could tell she was going through a mental checklist and removing certain things.
We soon arrived at the large crystal doors leading into the council chamber. Posted on both sides of the grand entryway two unicorn officers of the Crystal Empire’s royal guard. They bowed as we approached and magically opened up both doors. As we were fully inside, the doors closed with a solid THUD and I could sense a magical barrier being placed from the other side and a small smile touched my lips.

Good to see the guard being extra cautious today. I don’t want this meeting to be interrupted.

Twilight and I approached the table. Despite being the last ones to arrive to the meeting, all attendees sat quietly on their cushioned seats, waiting for us to take our places at the table. I took my seat at the head of the table, on my sides sat Luna and Twilight.

“We apologize for keeping you all waiting.”

“There is no need to apologize, Princess Celestia. We understand you are both important mares.” Princess Cadence spoke up.

The ambassador of the Griffin Empire nodded, “Indeed, though I would still appreciate being told why we are gathered here.”
“Indeed. While I have no doubt that there is a good reason for this gathering, we have all traveled far and have waited patiently for clarification.” The ambassador of Saddle Arabia agreed.
I nodded in response. “Of course ambassadors. You are here because Princess Twilight has located a curious disturbance within the atmosphere.” I glanced to my left as a notion for Twilight to take over.
She took a breath and looked at the rest of the ambassadors. “Yes, one day ago, an area within the sky became filled with an unknown magic. What’s even stranger is that it has taken the shape of a thin, perfectly round disk.”
“Have you sent anyone to examine this disk closely?”

“Yes,” Luna began, “we sent some of our guard and Canterlot’s leading scientists. But they could not get close to the object. An overwhelming force pushed them back whenever they got close.

“And what is more alarming is that the area that pushes them away and the disk itself are expanding.”

That got their attention. It wasn’t long before another spoke up.

“Princess Twilight, is there anything else you can tell us about this disk?”

“Sadly, not much. However, weather around the disk has started to change on it’s own dramatically. I’m sure you all saw the large circular clouds forming above the area when you arrived. While we can’t say what exactly is causing this, we believe that this is a matter worthy for concern.”

Well put my dear student.

Twilight had been studying the proper speech patterns to use with high-ranking officials ever since she found out that she would be the main voice in this meeting. That mare had a book for everything and anything.

“I propose we form a new research team to-“ A loud crack of lightning silenced her completely. Immediately, a member of the royal guard barged through the doors panting heavily.

“Your highness! We are being invaded!”

I felt an immediate chill run down my spine.

“Who dares to even attempt such a thing?!” Luna demanded.

“We don’t know what they are, your highness, but they are coming from the disk.”

“Organize the guard, I must see this for myself. Ambassadors, please head to the inner chambers, it is the most substantially fortified part of the castle. Twilight, gather your friends, we may need their help. Luna, come with me.”

No one questioned my directions and soon the council chamber was emptied. As we followed the guard outside, my mind was racing.

Who would even attempt an attack on us now? With the ambassadors’ escorts, the royal guard, as well as myself and the other princesses, this is currently the most heavily armed area in all of Equestria.

It wasn’t long before we reached the balcony overlooking the city. Normally the sky would be clear and sunny. Instead what greeted me was a swirling tempest unlike any storm I have seen since Discord’s era. Within the tempest, just floating motionlessly, were the most disturbing creatures I had ever seen. They were black, humanoid figures that had a strange static outline and seemed as tall as I was. They did not seem to have hooves or claws, instead their limbs ended in simple stubs. Their bodies seemed solid from afar, but as they moved, they almost seemed liquid. But what struck me most were their eyes. They shifted in color from white to red, and as I looked into them, I felt something that is hard to describe. It was like they could see everything I was, everything I am, and everything I will be. I almost was sick.

In the middle of the mass was a much larger version of the creatures. It seemed to be twice the size of the others.

I shook my head slightly to clear my head. Luna spoke up. “I feel it too, sister. They are not natural.”

“Indeed.” I looked to them once more and called out to them in a tone I hoped seemed only calm and non-threatening.

“I am Princess Celestia. Beside me is my sister Princess Luna. We represent the land of Equestria and its people. We do not wish for any violence, only to speak so that we may understand and help one another.”

I waited with held breath for a response. Soon, the larger one lifted its arm, and lightning began to crackle at the tip of the appendage. My reaction was quick; the strongest shield I could conjure appeared between us and the bolt of blue energy. The attack ricocheted off my shield and off into the distance. Despite this, the shield shattered after the impact and I watched wide-eyed as the bolt flew off towards one of the snow-covered mountains around the city. When it landed, I could see the explosion it created from the balcony.

Luna reacted before I could speak, launching off the balcony towards the creature that launched the attack. Horn charged to strike; she shot passed the other creatures. Then, in the blink of an eye, one of the creatures had her. The stubs acting like tendrils grasping both her neck and horn. Luna squirmed in its grip, struggling for air.

“Luna!” I took off to intervene, only to be intercepted by one of the creatures. “Move aside!” I charged my horn to blast away my obstacle, but before I could fire, I felt a wave of fatigue wash over me, and my magic faded. I had to steady myself so I wouldn’t plummet out of the sky. I looked up just in time to see the creature in front of me raise its leg. To tired to react, I watched as the leg swung with immense speed and connected with my side.

Next thing I knew, I was flying away from the battle, the Crystal Empire growing smaller and smaller as I spun. The pain caught up with my mind, and I lost consciousness.

Author's Note:

My first chapter to this story was hard to write. It has been years since my last fanfiction, but I really wanted to give this idea I had a shot. Criticism is appreciated The prologue is the only one that will be set in 1st person. The rest will be in 3rd. Also, I am looking for anyone who is willing to make artwork for this piece.