• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 222 Views, 0 Comments

Equestria Offensive - Roxanne Crisis



Midnight is out to find the griffin who killed his father, Will midnight Find the griffin?

  • ...
 0
 222

Chapter 1

Ponyville, 6:38 P.M. March 6th, 2013

The night of the Grand Galloping Gala had come faster than Midnight was expecting. He’d heard tales of the Gala events of two years ago from Rainbow Dash and all of their other friends who were in attendance. When she’d reminded him of the event about a week before, he hadn’t been sure whether or not going was a good idea. The choice was already out of his hooves though, as Rainbow Dash was scheduled to perform with the Wonderbolts as one of the main events of this year’s party. The thought missing that never even crossed his mind. In addition to the time he could spend with his beloved fillyfriend, Twilight was also going and there would be plenty of time for them to talk while Rainbow Dash was busy with her new teammates. Twilight had been very much a stranger since he returned, despite the time that had passed. Her studies and various other going on had kept them from really spending much time together. But tonight was the perfect time to really catch up.

“Alright girls, you ready?” Midnight had been standing outside of Rarity’s boutique with Spike, waiting for the girls to finish changing into their new Gala dresses, once again generously designed by Rarity herself. As well as the dresses, Rarity had custom designed him a stunning tuxedo, as she had promised him, soon after they met. Her talent was unmatched in Ponyville and it showed in his new formal attire: a jet-black suit that was just a shade darker than his coat. The suits sleek appearance was enhanced by the flame designs that graced the sleeves and neckline. Each lick of flame matched the color changes of his mane and tail perfectly.

“I said are you ready?”

Much to his annoyance, the answer was not what he was looking for, although exactly what he was expecting: “one eentsy teensy more minute, Midnight.” Pinkie Pie, the ever-bouncy pink filly suffered from a perpetual case of a good mood, which only served to press Midnight’s patience a little further.

The next half hour went by much as the rest of the afternoon had, waiting for the girls to finish getting ready and poking around Carousel boutique for anything of interest, which there was none. And so went the rest of the time before departure save for a snafu involving Rarity’s tiara, which she “simply could not go without” Midnight’s patience had nearly run out as he let himself into the changing room, with the permission of its occupants, and soon after found the accessory in question resting safely on her dresser, hidden ever so well behind a powder box.

From then on out, everything went much more smoothly. Before they had even entered the boutique, several hours ago by now, Twilight had used transformation magic on an apple provided by Applejack to create their carriage for the night. She had told him afterward that it seemed a bit too similar to last year, but then justified the lack of originality by pointing out that in the end, it doesn’t even matter, so long as they all arrive there together to have the wonderful night they were all looking forward to. Rarity had insisted that Twilight transform the carriage beforehand, claiming that such magical exertions would befoul all her efforts later to help style and dress her for the Gala. This was but Rarity was Rarity after all. But now, Midnight was grateful for her fussiness, because it meant they would be able to leave that much sooner now that they all were ready.

Midnight stood beside the carriage as he waited for the girls to come outside, of whom, Twilight was first. She crossed the grassy patch in front of Carousel Boutique over to Midnight.

“Wow, Twilight. You look amazing, I’ve never seen you like this before, all dressed up.” He was so used to seeing her shut away in her library behind stacks of books for days on end. She almost looked like a whole other pony now, certainly more elegant. The gown was a beautiful deep blue, with pink shoes, matching the characteristic streak in her hair. The most interesting aspect of the outfit though, was the delicate golden tiara, with a beautiful amethyst magically suspended just above the tip.

“Thanks, Midnight.” She replied as she walked past to the door of the carriage. “You know Rarity when it comes to fashion. She never ceases to amaze.” She gave Midnight a contented smile as she climbed inside.

The next pony out the door was Rainbow Dash, an exasperated expression characteristic to her in times of intense annoyance or boredom. “Ughhhh! Rarity is such a draaag!”

“Hasn’t she calmed down yet? We did find her tiara. What has it been? Fifteen minutes since then?”

“Yeah, but she’s still a drama queen. And she wouldn’t stop messing with my hair! I kept telling her it’s fine, it’ll get messed up when I change into my uniform anyway! She ‘insisted’ though.”

“Somepony has to look out for fashion’s best interests around here.” remarked Rarity as she passed by and too, got on board the carriage, only stopping to compliment Midnight, and by extension herself on how handsome he looked in his new outfit. “My, Midnight, you do look dashing in that suit.” She chuckled at her little pun and then climbed aboard. Rainbow Dash gave Midnight one last glance, rolling her eyes dramatically, and then followed behind Rarity.

What followed could only be described as comical. It even lightened Midnight’s mood after a day of boredom and irritation. Pinkie Pie came rushing out the door, pushing Applejack out in front of her repeatedly shouting “Let’s get going, I’m gonna miss my window!”

Midnight couldn’t help but laugh. “Now what could she possibly be planning this time?” he thought.

Applejack did not look too happy as she was shuffled along by the pink pony. Baring her teeth in frustration, with Pinkie heaving her unceremoniously into the carriage and then bouncing aboard herself. Fluttershy followed them out close behind, looking quite worried about the whole thing. She looked over to Midnight as she got on, but didn’t say anything. Once the last wisps of her breezy green silk gown were over the threshold, Midnight shut the carriage door behind her.

“Alright Spike, Let’s get going. Strap me into this thing.”

“Aye aye, Midnight!” He hopped out of his coach’s chair. Midnight walked up to the front of the carriage. Spike hefted the sturdy metal harness and threw it over Midnight’s back.

He flexed his wings and legs as he acclimated to the added weight. They were going to fly this time. Midnight had volunteered to pull the carriage himself. It was the least he could do. They were all his very best friends and they deserved to ride in style, especially to such an important event.

The night was warm and there looked to be a storm off to the south, but it was moving in the opposite direction from Canterlot, so the sky would be clear for the events of the Gala. Midnight prepared himself for takeoff, digging his back hooves into the soft earth and raising his wings for the downbeat.

“Come on Midnight, let’s blow this taco stand!” Pinkie yelled out the window.

“Consider it blown.” Midnight thrust his wings down as he galloped forward, lifting himself as well as the carriage into the air.

“It’s hard to believe we’re actually going back to the Grand Galloping Gala. After the last time I wasn’t sure the Celestia would want us to come back.” Twilight said.

“She just knows the Gala wouldn’t be the same without me.” Rainbow Dash drew incredulous glances from the other ponies in the carriage. “I mean us, of course... you girls can’t take a joke?” They didn’t seem entirely convinced, but they all knew Rainbow Dash, and her heart was in a good place. “But I’ve gotta go this year. I can’t miss a performance just because I wouldn’t want to go to the Gala.”

“Anyway,” Twilight went on, “Celestia has invited Midnight and I to a special meeting. She hasn’t told us what it’s about though.”

“I reckon she just wants to see her favorite student again, y’all didn’t get much of a chance to catch up last time around.”

“Maybe, it sounded important in her letter though. That would be nice I suppose, we haven’t talked in a while, I know. By the way, what was your plan for tonight, Applejack? What have you got in this cart Midnight loaded in the carriage for you?”

“Oh just a little somethin’ Mr. and Mrs. Cake helped me with. Ah think I’ll have more luck with those ‘high class’ ponies this time.” She glanced at Rarity, who turned her nose up at her jokingly. Then the two of them laughed together, to everypony else’s confusion. They had had their disagreements from time to time, but had come to an understanding.

“Well,” Rarity began, “while Applejack is peddling her wares, I will be meeting with some of the most esteemed ponies in the world of fashion. This Gala could be an important step in my career.”

“Oh, that’s wonderful, Rarity. I’m so happy for you.” Fluttershy chimed in.

“Thank you, Fluttershy. I know you can appreciate the finer things. And I certainly won’t be there to win the favor of Celestia’s scum of Equestria nephew again.”

The carriage grew quiet as they remembered what had happened between him and Midnight.

“What is it?” Rarity asked, confused.

“You don’t remember?” Rainbow Dash answered, “Midnight... killed him. Back when Nightmare Moon was still inside of him.”

“Ah, yes. Regrettable I suppose, but it’s not like anypony is missing him.” It was true, Blueblood had never been a very good prince, and nopony really missed terribly him after what happened.

“Well it looks like we’re all a lot more prepared than last time, things should be goin’ a lot better fer each of us this time around. Ah reckon this’ll be the best night ever! I do feel a little bad for Midnight, though, pullin out carriage all by himself.”

“He offered to do it, Applejack. He told me he wanted to make the ride memorable for us. I think a flying carriage beats a grounded one any day.” Rainbow Dash told her.

“I know I’ve told you this a lot, but ya sure have a nice guy on your hooves there.” She continued to look out the front facing window at Midnight, pulling their carriage through the sky on the way to Canterlot.

“Hey, eyes off the pony pulling the carriage.”

“Sorry, sugarcube, you can’t blame a girl for starin’ at a pony like that once in a while.”

“*sigh* Yeah, I guess you’re right. But after what happened before I joined The Wonderbolts, I know I can trust you not to try anything funny behind my back.”

“You know y’all can trust me, Dash. I know to keep my boundaries.”

“And I love that about you.” She looked down to think for a moment before she met Applejack’s eyes again. “Just for that, I think I’m gonna have him do something special for you for your 18th birthday. How long away is that?”

“Exactly 2 weeks from today.” Rainbow Dash leaned in close and whispered in her ear. Applejack’s face went blank in the sudden surprise, “Uh, Dash? You really gonna get him to do that fer me?”

Rainbow Dash shook her head to get herself back to her senses. “Of course I will. He won’t like the idea at first because he’ll think that I won’t trust him, but he’ll ease up to the idea and will eventually see that he’s gonna love it. I’ve just got less time then I expected to get him to ease up to it.”

“Well that’s uh... mighty kind of you, Rainbow Dash. But I’m not sure how I’d be able to pay y’all back fer somethin like that.”

“No need. Consider it a birthday present from me to you.”

“Wow, this is probably the nicest thing y’all have done fer me. Which is surprising from y’all. I’m not so sure why yer bein so generous about somethin you’ve had so much problems with in the past.”

“Hmm...I dunno. I guess I just have known him for so long, and have so many moments where he’s proven his loyalty, that I just don’t worry about it anymore.”

“Well, I guess that makes sense, but still, I’m still havin’ trouble believin’ y’all are willing to do that fer me.”

“So Twilight, what do you think your meeting with Princess Celestia is about?” Fluttershy asked.

“I’m not sure. All she told us is that she needed to discuss some urgent matters on the future well being of Canterlot, but I’m not really sure what she means by that exactly.” Twilight replied.

“Well I guess yer gonna hafta wait n’ see, Twilight. So, what’re yah gonna do after yer little meeting with the Princess and all?”

“I was thinking of stopping at the palace library to see if there’s anything new that I haven’t read yet. Maybe Midnight and I can go visit our parents some time after our meeting, they still live in Canterlot so we should be able to go see them while we’re here.”

“Well, Midnight promised that we’d spend the time that we’re both available together.” Rainbow Dash interrupted.

“Well, when is your performance?”

“That’s not until later in the night, but we have some “special plans” for when the performance is over.”

“So would you mind if I stole him away from you during your performance for a few hours and he could go be alone with you when your performance is over?”

“Yeah, sure. I don’t see why not.”

“Excellent. I’ll make sure he’s back by the end of your show.”

“Alright, sounds good to me. I hope you both have fun seeing your parents again.”

“Thanks, and I hope you have fun being alone with him tonight.”

“Thanks, even though that’s a little awkward.”

“Sorry, it’s just that when I see you two together, I wish I had somepony who could make me feel like that.”

“Hey, don’t sweat it, Twilight. I’m sure there’s somepony out there who’s perfect for you. You’ve just gotta keep lookin.”

“Yeah, I guess. I’ll make sure to keep that in mind. Thanks, Dash. I never really thought that you’d be the pony that I’d talk to for love advice.”

“No problem, Twilight. You’re one of my best friends. Isn’t that what friends are for? Plus, I’d do it for anypony.”

“Yeah, that’s what you said when you tried getting that extra Gala ticket from me a few years ago.”

“Eheheheh.” Rainbow Dash was scratching the back of her head in embarrassment. “Yeah, I guess I did. But now is different. I really wouldn’t mind doing it for anypony.”

As they made the approach to Canterlot, The castle and surrounding landscape came into Midnight’s view. The white spires and towers jutting out from the cliff the palace was built on were alight with the glow of the celebration. Midnight found himself getting caught up in the grand spectacle of it all. There were columns of ponies queued to enter through the main doors and other carriages lined up by the entrance, all for the same grand event. The Princesses had gone all out this year. There were small fireworks sporadically lighting up the crowd and casting the white walls of the towers in bright reds, oranges and deep blues.

“You all there, Midnight?” Spike asked. Until this moment they had been holding a conversation on the subject of Spike’s ‘secret’ feelings for Rarity.

“Of course. Like I was saying before, and I’m sorry to say it, but I just don’t think that Rarity is going to have any change of heart. I mean think about it, she’s a unicorn, and you’re a dragon. Not to mention the massive age difference.”

“Yeah, I know. *sigh* It’s just hard for me to get over it. I love her and she doesn’t feel the same.”

“Maybe you should try looking to girls your age. I’m sure that there’s some girl out there for you somewhere. Hell, maybe it’s another dragon! But the first step is for you to get over Rarity. And next, maybe you could talk to her and she could help set you up with a girl she thinks would be perfect for you. I’m sure she must be acquainted with quite a few, you know, because of that boutique of hers.”

“Yeah, you could be right. Thanks, Midnight. I’ve never had anypony to talk to about this kind of thing from the guy’s view. I think I hang out with the girls too much; it can be hard to find another guy to get another view on things like that. Not that I’m completely giving up hope just yet.

“No problem, Spike. It’s just what I like to do.” He said with a grin. His mood had already changed from just a short while ago. “I think I should to talk with Spike more often.” He thought to himself. “I might be able to give him a better perspective on things.”

He then started to wonder why Spike liked Rarity in the first place. Sure she was attractive, but what could really make him feel that way for her? He looked back to see the girls all talking away, then looked back at Spike. He was quietly eating small gems whole clawfuls at a time. “Heh, maybe he was hungry for those gems on Rarity’s flank this whole time.” Midnight silently chuckled to himself.

He knew he could handle it, but the flight to Canterlot from Ponyville was really starting to tire him out. As he set them down in front of the castle, he collapsed onto the stone pathway.

“Gaah! Why did I volunteer for this?”

The girls began to step out one by one from the carriage a few moments after they set down.

“You did good, Midnight.” Rainbow Dash said as she walked up to him and kissed him on the cheek.

“Yeah. Thanks, Midnight!” Pinkie Pie added.

“Thank you, Midnight...” Fluttershy said as they all filed out and trotted up to him.

“Your efforts were highly appreciated.” said Rarity. “And I must thank you again for finding my tiara. I was simply devastated when I thought it was lost. You are a true gentlecolt for finding it for me.” He saw Applejack roll her eyes, a sentiment he shared, but he didn’t say anything.

“Much obliged, Midnight.” Applejack said happily, returning her attention to the moment at hand and tugging the handle of her apple cart close behind her.

“Ugh.” Was the only reply Midnight was able to give her at the moment

“Well, if you will excuse me everypony, I have clients to meet.” Rarity obviously was going all out to impress her new acquaintances; her dress was an exceedingly elegant number, with a royal purple front, lined with gold. As she turned to leave, he could see the back of her dress was a brilliant hue of aqua-marine, with silver diamonds scattered across, reflecting her cutie mark, as well as catching any light just perfectly to make her stand out. Her tiara was topped with an attention grabbing sapphire, just in Rarity’s style.

“The party don’t start ‘til I walk in!” Pinkie Pie bounced off into the crowd to prepare whatever shenanigans she had planned.

“Oh yes I should be going too, that pony from the garden is going to show me all the nocturnal creatures that live here, and I don’t want to keep him waiting.”

Twilight stepped up to Midnight, “Come on, we need to go see Princess Celestia.”

“Oh Twilight, please don’t make me get up.” Midnight was still trying to recover from his exhaustion.

“Midnight, I promised Princess Celestia that you and I would both go to see her right when we got here.”

“*sigh* Fine.” Midnight moaned as he got to his hooves. “Let’s go to the Royal Quarters then.” Midnight gazed up to what he assumed would be their destination, a high, slender tower. He found himself wondering how many stairs that would be to climb to the top. He then decided that he did not want to know.

“And what about you Dash?” Twilight asked. “What are you going to do while you’re not performing with The Wonderbolts?”

“Well I guess I’ll just go mingle with everypony inside. Maybe hang out with Soarin and Spitfire, talk about the routine for tonight.”

“Sounds good. Well come on Midnight, the Princess said to go see her the minute we get here.”

“Alright Twilight. See you later tonight Dashie!” Midnight said, walking with Twilight to the palace.

“Bye guys!” Dash yelled after them, then trotted off past the crowd. He saw a few of them wave to her, apparently recognizing her as a member of The Wonderbolts now. She waved back happily, with maybe a touch too much enthusiasm, she was still getting used to the recognition.

Midnight pulled himself up after catching his breath finally and stretched his sore legs for the long walk ahead of him and Twilight. “Alright, we’re off to see the Princess.”