• Published 21st May 2015
  • 5,903 Views, 382 Comments

The Equestrian Edda - Grey Ghost



The continuing saga of Jason Hughes as he moves into parenthood.

  • ...
45
 382
 5,903

When In Doubt, Just Eat It

“Well congratulat...” Jason paused before looking around. “It's always at the worst times,” he groaned, running a hand down his face in annoyance. He looked around to see a silver Sonic-style hedgehog lying on the ground surrounded by guards.

“You! Strange creature!” called one of the guards. “Move away from the prisoner!”

“Um... dude... I... could you, I dunno, help me stand up?” the hedgehog asked, looking up at him with wide eyes.

“Oh, this is even more lovely,” Jason sighed, hanging his shoulders. “The princesses hate you don’t they?” He held his hand out to help the hedgehog up.

“Kind of. They hate Blaze much more, they think I’m just a sidekick... So... who are you?” the hedgehog asked, gladly accepting the assistance.

The guard commander did not look amused. He was getting scared, since the hedgehog's previously broken leg had already fixed itself.

“Creature, I repeat, move away! Don’t force us to make you sorry!”

“I’m Jason Hughes, Prince of Equestria,” he said as the Omnitrix chirped and scanned the creature. “Well, an Equestria anyway. And relax, you couldn’t hurt me if you tried.”

“That’s not helpful, you know. I’m Silver, by the way,” the hedgehog mumbled. “Just make sure they won’t kill me right now, please. I’m still weak. That mech has a really powerful punch.”

“Relax,” Jason said with a roll of his eyes. “Now hold still, I’m going to cast a few Cure spells,” he said, casting the spell several times.

“Soldiers, this thing is an ally to him! Arrest both of them, now!”

“Alright, y'know what,” Jason said, turning to glare at them. “Omnitrix, Stardust,” he commanded. Disappearing in a flash of light, he was replaced by a green alicorn with a black and green mane. “Now all of you calm down!” he shouted, glaring harder. The hedgehog smirked while the ponies gasped.

“A changeling! Kill it, show no mercy!” the commander shouted, sending the guards at the two Displaced.

“Okay, now... now I’m getting annoyed,” Jason snorted, shifting into Lodestar. He held his pincer-like hands out, then brought them together. All the guards flew toward each other, colliding mid-air rather comically. “Don’t mess with science, it doesn’t end well.”

“...I kinda expected something more, but I guess there was no reason to send them all to the hospital,” Silver admitted.

“An attitude like that is probably why they hate you in the first place,” Jason spoke, tapping the Omnitrix and reverting to normal. “Now, you were saying something about a mech?”

“Yep. He is in a museum. Much more interesting enemy. We should hurry, I’m worried about my companion. Well, not as much about my companion, about the mech. An angry Blaze is a dangerous Blaze.”

As if on cue, the mech flew through the wall of the museum and landed at the other end of the street, flattening some buildings, a large dent in its front. Silver blinked and looked back towards the museum. A light purple anthropomorphic cat was standing in the new hole. She wasn’t very happy, to put it kindly.

“Are you done talking to some Displaced you summoned despite everything I told you back in the Everfree Forest?”

“I take it that's Blaze?” Jason asked, giving her a rather unimpressed look.

“Don’t insult her skills, character, actions and pretty much anything else. Don’t make jokes and try to avoid any memes. Also, don’t call her ‘cute’. Luna made that mistake once,” Silver whispered. In the meantime the mech finally stood up.

“Yes, I’m Blaze. Now excuse me, we have an Emerald to reclaim. Aim at the eye.” After those words the cat jumped several meters in the air and kicked the robot in the aforementioned eye, sending it back to the ground. Silver turned towards Jason.

“Do you want to help us with delivering this trash to the nearest dump?” Silver asked, picking up several bricks and throwing them at the enemy. The snake-like machine hissed.

“I don’t see why not, seems like you two could use the help,” he said, cracking his neck and then his knuckles.

“I’ve had enough! Officer, activate Sol Cannon!” a voice commanded from inside the mech. It reared up, starting to fire lasers at the three Displaced.

“Why?! Why did it have to be a laser?!” Silver screamed, jumping behind an abandoned carriage. “Jason, Blaze! We need to destroy its laser gun!”

“Omnitrix, Chromastone!” Jason shouted, shifting again. He absorbed a laser shot, firing it back in a beam of rainbow energy. This seemed to confuse the mech, something Silver decided to take advantage of.

“Take a load of this!” Silver exclaimed as he lifted an entire carriage, sending it hurtling through the air. It shattered beautifully against the head of the mech, toppling it once more. “Eat dirt, it has a lot of minerals!”

“An excellent idea, hedgehog!” stated someone from inside of the robot. “Get Chaos Striker underground, officers!”

Silver sighed, watching the machine shatter the pavement and bury itself like a huge worm. He decided to levitate himself to the top of a nearby building in order to avoid any potential attack.

“I hate this kind of enemy,” Silver said loudly. “It’s the battle with Iblis all over again, now we have to wait for them to resurface.”

Blaze landed on one of the lanterns.

“I’ll prepare a warm welcome gift for their return,” Blaze spoke, starting to focus fire in her palms.

They didn’t have to wait long. There was nothing subtle about the techniques this mech was using - its return took place in one of the houses, utterly destroying it.

“There he is!” Silver shouted, pointing at it.

Blaze wasted no time. Unfortunately the fireballs she threw missed terribly, since the robot was agile enough to dodge them. She quickly dropped that plan of attack, deciding to rush it while Silver hurled various objects at it.

“Omnitrix, Second Sight!” Jason shouted, shifting into Mewtwo. He glowed a bright blue, gripping Chaos Striker up in his psychic grasp. “Hit it already, you goons!” he commanded via telepathy.

Silver stood there, just staring at Jason in awe. Blaze took much less time admiring his work and instead decided to act. In a matter of ten seconds, she laid several blows into the mech's eye. After the fifth kick the snake finally stopped tossing around in Jason’s grip, and there was a small trail of smoke coming from it. Deciding it was finished, he dropped it.

Jason floated over to it, looking it over. “So, just who’s inside of this stupid Zoids wannabe?” he asked. Reaching out with his mind, he narrowed his eyes in concentration.

“I’ll flatten you!” the mech shouted, suddenly rising and jumping up into the air.

“Son of a-” Silver stared at the sight of Chaos Striker, coming down right on top of him.

Jason’s eyes went wide as the mech came down, utterly crushing Silver under its weight. “Omnitrix, Ormagoden!” he sneered. He let out a roar before jumping on Chaos Striker, ripping into its metallic hide, acid dripping from his muzzle. Blaze just raised an eyebrow at this, seemingly not moved by her friend’s death.

Jason roared again, digging his claws into the mech, ripping out wiring and working his way inside of it. As he screamed with an unrelenting blood rage, he grew another set of arms. Tearing away the last of the armor that stood between him and the pilots, he glared at them with a heavy, malevolent gaze.

Changelings.

The one in the center was very similar to Chrysalis. She had a very long, green mane and similar body proportions. She eyed Jason, trembling in fear.

“No, no, no! Officer, activate Chaos Blast!”

That was the first time Blaze had shown emotion. Her eyes widened and she gasped.

“They can use chaos energy now?!”

The chestplate of the robot suddenly heated up and started glowing. The changeling smiled deviously.

“Ponies will have to do a lot of clean up around here. Soldiers, abort the mission!” After those words all the changelings disappeared in a flash of teleportation.

Jason looked at the chest plate, leaping onto it and tearing into it. Once the outer layer was off, he gazed at the inner workings, trying to find the source of the chaos energy. His eyes landed on two glowing jewels and without really thinking about it, grabbed them with his tongue and with a quick bob of his head, swallowed them whole.

Blaze just stared.

“You just ate something that has the potential to destroy an entire multiverse,” she finally said.

“I don’t die,” he replied simply, growling in pain as the Emeralds burned at his insides. He quickly shook it off as lines appeared along his body, channeling the chaos energy out into the air, preventing it from building up.

“You are seriously overpowered,” Blaze stated coldly.

“And I’m barely containing an infinite amount of blood rage. I lose control and everything else dies,” he commented before hacking up the gems, which were now covered in his saliva and stomach acids.

Suddenly with a loud pop, Silver appeared next to them.

“...And there goes another of my lives, wasted like the others in a ridiculous way,” he recapped gloomily. He carelessly kicked the machine. “Stupid robot. Another hundred rings to collect.”

Blaze rolled her eyes.

“We should be going. Soon there will be two angry alicorns in this city and we have what we wanted. Even more than we wanted, two Chaos Emeralds at one...” Suddenly she stopped. “How?!”

Silver and Jason looked at the two gems. Jason didn’t understand what she meant, but Silver did.

“The second one isn’t a Chaos Emerald, it’s a Sol Emerald! And it shines! It got its power back!” Jason only replied with a confused look, so Silver explained. “When we arrived in Equestria, all the Emeralds had lost their power. After some time, the Chaos Emeralds regained theirs, but the Sol Emeralds remained dull. No idea why.”

“Don’t look at me, I deal with Norse stuff, Sonic was never my thing,” Jason said, reverting back to normal. He reached out, quickly getting a scan off Blaze. She took a step back and frowned.

“What did you do?”

“Took a scan of your DNA,” Jason said, crossing his arms. “I try to scan everything I can.”

Silver smiled.

“Kinky.” Blaze punched him and the hedgehog was sent to the pavement. “Worth it!”

“You two sound married,” Jason commented, looking at them with a bit of a smirk. Silver ceased moving, only to burst out laughing two seconds later. Blaze just scowled deeper.

“We aren’t,” she said curtly.

“Unfortunately, Blaze over here is very resistant to any attempt to woo her, no matter who tries,” snickered Silver. “Not that there is much of a choice in magical pony land.”

“Can we please leave this place already?” asked Blaze. “I don’t want to face the Princesses with only two Emeralds and three lives in reserve.”

“Eh, I could take them if they do show up but if they do, I suggest sitting down with them and talking it out,” Jason said, sounding rather serious.

“I don’t think it would work in this case,” Silver said sadly. “We kinda... almost destroyed this world on the same day we arrived here. After that we were helping Discord with pranking both of them. For years. We have a very strong reputation of being terrorists.”

“And we don’t care what ponies think about us,” snarled Blaze. “I don’t like this only because it makes our job harder. Finding all the Emeralds isn’t easy when two demigods are after you. But as I said, this isn't a good place for chatting. How fast can you run?” she asked Jason.

“How fast can you run?” he countered, raising his eyebrow.

“I haven’t checked. Probably somewhere around three hundred miles per hour. Silver can use his telekinesis to fly two hundred miles per hour.”

“Then let's go. Omnitrix, XLR8,” he said, shifting into a strange velociraptor-like creature with a black and white suit and a helmet. Blaze gaped at the sight for a moment, but in the end she shrugged and jumped to the roof of a nearby building, making her way towards the border of the city. Silver looked at his new friend.

“I wonder about something... could you take a look around this city and tell me if you see any gold rings?”

“Sure,” he said with a nod before instantly zipping away, leaving only a brief blur in his wake. He came back a second later, his face plate sliding up, “Nope, I didn’t see anything like that.”

“I see... I guess it was be too good to be true. I could sell those rings to others and become a billionaire. Let’s go.”


“Ah, the Everfree,” Jason said as the group came to a stop, the Omnitrix timing out and reverting him to normal. “Home sweet home.”

“Wait, you live in the Everfree?” asked Silver. “Or was that just a joke, one of those that aren’t funny?”

“I live in the old castle,” Jason said, stroking his chin, “‘Course its a changeling hive now but, comes with the territory. And before you ask, I managed to get the ponies and changelings to live together in peace, hell I even married their leader.”

“That’s cool, man. Just one question. What or who are the changelings?”

“A little warning, Jason,” said Blaze, heading into deeper the forest. “He only knows about Equestria what he has seen himself. I don’t know if you are one of those bronies, but he isn’t. He never met a changeling before.”

“Where are you going, Blaze?”

“To get us dinner.”

“Uh oh. Jason, you better be ready to transform into something fireproof. When Blaze is hunting, the entire forest is in danger.” Silver dodged an incoming fireball.

“I’m a jotun, fire isn’t really an issue for me,” Jason said, giving a shrug.

“Double uh oh. In this case I really hope we won’t have to fight somewhere in the future. I don’t know how much is true when it comes to Marvel, but do real Jotun have ice powers?”

Jason raised an eyebrow before throwing his hand out, sending a shockwave of ice out into the forest. “I am the Lord of Winter for a reason,” he answered, leaning on a tree.

“Then I’m completely sure I want to be your friend, as ice is our only weakness, both for me and Blaze. That’s how the Princesses imprisoned us. Luckily, somepony was lazing around and our cell wasn’t cold enough yesterday... though, to be honest, if at the time Blaze hadn't been trying to imprison Iblis, then their plan would probably have failed. Hold on, do you even know who Iblis is?”

“Nope, like I said, Sonic isn’t my thing,” Jason said with a shrug. “I take it he’s evil as hell though?”

“Sure. He is a classic lava monster who wants to burn the world. The Merchant added him as a little... bonus to the Power Ring and Sol Emeralds Blaze bought before she was banished to Equestria. In the end we found a way to imprison him, but that’s when the Princesses found us and at the time Blaze couldn’t help me. Since I had used too much psychokinesis at once, I couldn’t do anything. I get a terrible headache every time it happens.”

“Well, I can’t help you there, unless you want a DNA splice,” Jason said with a shrug, sitting down. He popped up the Omnitrix’s dial, flipping through his forms. “Now... I have two new forms here I need to try out.” He pushed the dial down, shifting into a red hedgehog with yellow stripes going through his fur. “Hm... not bad...”

“How... extreme that would be?”

“Depends on the species, really,” Jason said, tapping his new shoes. “Forget about that for now, this form needs a name.”

“Green Grass?” At this Jason looked with disappointment at his companion. “Sorry, my imagination isn’t exactly wild. I also think all those pony names affected me.”

“Thats a stupid name,” Jason said with a frown, crossing his arms. “Ugh...think.” He banged his head on a tree until an idea came to him. “I got it! Dead End!”

“Any idea in which way this form is going to help me?”

“What? How would me getting a form from you help you?” Jason asked, raising his eyebrow.

“Because you mentioned something about DNA splicing. Well, if you can’t help me, then maybe you know someone who can? Some Displaced out there should have psychic powers.”

“Hey, I never said I couldn’t splice you, I was just confused on why you thought me getting a hedgehog form would help you,” Jason said, reverting to normal.

Silver shrugged.

“A little miscommunication. Whatever. Hey, if you scanned Blaze too, then you still have one more form to try. I wonder how a male cat from the Sonic universe would look like... Because if it would be like Big the Cat... heh.”

“What, all male cats from that world are big and fat?” Jason ask, frowning a little.

“There are only two cats in Sonic games. Blaze and Big. Big is... well, big. And fat, yes. I’m honestly curious how you'll look.”

“Well here it goes,” he said before dialing in the other new form and activating it. He shifted into an orange cat with tiger stripes, wearing a sleeveless vest.

“Well... you aren’t fat. That’s something.”

“I’d have been pissed,” Jason said, flexing his body this way and that, letting out a rather content purr. Silver burst out in laughter.

“Pff, sounds just like the one time I put catnip on Blaze’s nose when she was asleep. Speaking of which... don’t get close to catnip in this form. It’ll probably make you very angry. That’s how Blaze reacted once she woke up, though I don’t know how much was caused by her being a cat or just her being Blaze.”

“Good to know,” he said with a nod before reverting to normal. "You know, I should probably get going. Discord and Fluttershy just had their first kid and you kinda summoned me right from the hospital.”

“What? Discord is a father in your Equestria?! Oh, dear... yes, you'd better go. I didn't know that was possible. Wait, do you have our token? Mine and Blaze’s?”

“I don’t think so,” he said, shaking his head. Silver reached out and... literally pulled something from nowhere. Two big, gold... circles to be specific, connected like links of a chain.

“Here you go, our Power Rings. I don’t know why they are linked, but I think the Merchant was behind it. Summon us if you meet him, we reeealy want to kick his ass. Also, you can summon us if you need someone as perfect as me.” He grinned.

“Yeah, yeah, just send me home already,” Jason said with a smirk, placing the token in his pocket.

“Um... how? I’m new to all of this.”

“Just say, ‘Jason, our contract is complete.’”

Silver nodded. “Okay. Jason, our contract is complete.” After those words a portal appeared next to them. “It looks a little bit like a time portal from the game that I won’t mention. Anyway, it was nice to meet you, Jason.”

“Hey, you stay safe and try not to piss off the ponies,” he said before stepping through the portal, his token reappearing at Silver’s feet.