• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 1,734 Views, 30 Comments

Sherlock : Miss Shimmer's Secret - AzelTheMantis



Same start as Equestria Girls but with a completely different twist. Celestia suspects a higher force at work and enlists the help of a certain crime solver to follow Twilight into the unknown world that lies beyond the mirror.

  • ...
2
 30
 1,734

A New Case

Chapter 2: A New Case

Cadance was waiting impatiently outside the chamber which housed the Crystal Mirror. She paced around, anticipating the moment in which her old friend would appear. Her patience was starting to wane and she was pondering the whereabouts of Sherlock Hooves.

Shining Armor had also been informed about the awaited arrival of Sherlock but due to his duties, there was a huge chance that he might miss seeing him. He and the detective used to be at odds in their earlier days due to their polarizing characters but thanks to some help from Cadance, they created a strong friendship between them although according to Sherlock, it was more of an alliance rather than full-blown friendship.

The pink alicorn turned her head towards every hoofstep she heard in the distance, hoping that Sherlock would finally make his appearance. The nearby guards only gave her puzzled looks as she looked around wildly, like a rabbit that was lost in the Everfree Forest.

Inside the chamber, Princess Celestia was telling the ponies and her sister about Sherlock’s family despite Rarity’s wishes. The white unicorn never had a liking to her cousin ever since she met him. In spite of all the good things he’d do, he was always jeering her or teasing her and finding a way to piss her off was rather easy. It was more hate than love standing between the two of them.

“Did you know Sherlock’s brother Mycroft Hooves is the leader of the Equestrian Secret Service?” Celestia asked the mane six who responded with surprised gasps.

“Secret Service?” Twilight asked with a wide smile.

“Hey, if it’s secret, how come we know about it?” Pinkie asked, scratching her head.

“He doesn’t mind it, Mycroft I mean”, Celestia explained, “Why, he’s even better than Sherlock at solving crimes and mysteries”, she said with a hint of genuine pride.

Ever since Mycroft Hooves took the job as head of the Secret Service, there had never been an invasion or attack from the outside as long as he was on duty. He would give her all the reports from the borders about any kind of hostility that might pose a threat to Equestria. In short, he was one of the most diligent and most trustworthy ponies.

Rarity smiled a bit at the mention of that name. Unlike Sherlock, Mycroft used to care for her like he was her bigger brother. Whenever he visited Ponyville, he was sure to bring her a gift or something and he never failed to make her smile.

“If he’s better, then why didn’t you call for him?” Rainbow Dash asked on behalf of the others.

“Because the last time I placed him off-duty, there was a Changeling Invasion which nearly destroyed our castle in Canterlot”, Celestia recalled the attack of the changelings during Cadance and Shining Armor’s wedding.

She had given Mycroft the day off and as a result, the wedding was almost ruined. Fortunately, they were able to fend off the attack and she had vowed never to disrupt Mycroft’s duties ever since.

“That’s a good reason”, Twilight commented.

“Sherlock should be arriving any minute now and I have a hunch that he’ll probably know everything that’s happening before he even sets a hoof into this room”, Celestia smirked. She knew that if things were still the same for Sherlock as it was thirty moons ago, he would be able to crack whatever was going on before long.

Thirty moons ago, on the night Sunset Shimmer left for the other world, nopony knew about her escape until Sherlock arrived. He traced her hoofsteps which even she could not notice despite using her magic.

Soon, he deduced that Sunset Shimmer had entered the portal inside her chamber. Unfortunately, nopony was able to follow her as the window period had passed. She could still remember the promise Sherlock made to her when he said he was going to get to the bottom of why she would leave.

That was one of the reasons why she made the guess that something sinister was going on once again. It was because of Sherlock’s promise, a promise which she believed, was going to be fulfilled soon enough.

“Sister, do you know what world lies beyond the mirror?” Luna snapped Celestia back to reality with her question.

“Wha...oh, I’m sorry I have no idea. I believe I might cause some imbalance due to the transport of magic through the portal so I haven’t tried it”, Celestia hastily replied.

“Aww...I really wanted to see what was behind it”, Pinkie groaned. She was so looking forward to making friends with whatever kind of creatures which lived at the other end of the portal.

“So, how are we goin’ to get Twilight’s crown back?” Applejack asked.

“If going through the portal causes an imbalance, then how are we even gonna be able to go through it?” Flutershy added.

“The imbalance will only occur when there are one too many ponies going through the portal”, Celestia said, making everypony else groan in disappointment.

“But I suppose Twilight and Spike can enter the portal, don’t you believe so, sister?” Luna asked Celestia. Twilight and Spike fixed their eyes on Celestia with eager looks on their faces and hoping that the white alicorn might say “yes”.

“Well, yes, I do believe only Twilight and Spike can go through it”, Celestia replied, unsure of what might happen since Sunset Shimmer had already gone through the portal before.

“What are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Spike pushed Twilight towards the Crystal Mirror.

“Wait! Shouldn’t we wait for Sherlock?” Twilight asked the two princesses. She had heard of the earth pony during her foalhood and had met him once when she was about to be signed into Celestia’s special school.

“Well, I think we should”, Celestia said, “Although we must not waste any time. The portal will close in three nights so we must use all time we have”,

“Or else we’ll have to for another thirty moons”, Luna added.

“Guess we’ll have to do this without Sherlock”, Twilight sighed. She was really keen on meeting him especially after she heard such praise coming from the mouth of her mentor.

The next moment, the mane six huddled together for a group hug as they wished Twilight and Spike the best and gave them goodbyes and good lucks.

“Be safe, alright?” Applejack gave her a nod.

“You bet!” Twilight nodded back as she faced the portal, “This is it, Spike”, she said to her companion, “Are you ready?”

“Yeah!” Spike exclaimed before the two jumped into the portal, preparing to face whatever world that was going to welcome them.

Meanwhile, just a few corners away from the chamber

“You guards disgust me. Drooling during night shifts, sleeping on the job. I wonder why the princesses even bother to recruit such slobs”, Sherlock said aloud to nopony in particular.

Flash Sentry and Triple Threat stood by his side while the earth pony kept on rambling about the small workload and the shabby discipline of the royal guards. Luckily for the two, Triple Threat had two pairs of earplugs and they weren’t able to hear Sherlock’s monologue.

“There’s Princess Cadance”, Flash Sentry told Triple Threat when he saw the pink alicorn pace around outside the sealed-off chamber.

“What?” Triple Threat asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Take your earplugs out, I think he’s finished talking”, Flash Sentry signaled his buddy when he noticed Sherlock was not moving his lips at all.

“Thank Celestia, it’s finally over”, Triple Threat heaved a sigh of relief when he removed his earplugs.

“Good job, you two. Thank you for escorting Sherlock”, Cadance thanked the duo who nodded before they quickly went away, wanting to take a good rest after all the commotion and shit that had happened in the last few hours.

“Hello Cadance”, Sherlock greeted his old friend with his usual expressionless and cold stare.

“Good to meet you again, Sherlock”, Cadance said awkwardly. She had expected a warmer greeting and by some chance a hug but it looked like all she could settle for was a weird talk.

“Fine....you may”, Sherlock groaned when he saw Cadance’s half-disappointed look. He had never been one to give in to such speechless pleading but since she was instrumental in helping him crack an old case, he couldn’t help but allow her to give him a warmer welcome.

As if on cue, Cadance gave him a huge hug as she wrapped her hooves around the neck of the slightly larger pony. Sherlock gave a sigh of boredom before he placed his cream-colored hoof over her, “You owe me one”, he whispered.

“Aww...come on, give me a smile”, Cadance moved her hooves closer to both sides of the earth pony’s face, trying to force a smile.

“No chance, Candace. No chance in Tartarus”, Sherlock brushed her hooves away gently before they finally broke contact, “So, Sunset Shimmer stole Twilight’s crown and made away with it?” his voice returned to its normal serious tone.

“That is true. Though I won’t ask you how you knew about that”, she giggled. She had known him well enough to know that she shouldn’t ask him how he knew about things he shouldn’t know or else he might go full “Monologue” mode again.

“Thank you”, Sherlock bowed as the two of them entered the chamber in which Celestia, Luna and the rest of the mane six were waiting for his arrival.

“Ah! Sherlock, you finally arrived”, Celestia was the first to greet him.

“Let’s cut to the chase, we haven’t got much time”, Sherlock simply said before he stood in front of the mirror. Cadance and Celestia knew his mind was going to work again. It was only a matter of seconds before he spouted all his observations.

“Sister, don’t you think he’s not the least bit courteous?” Luna whispered to Celestia after she and the others noticed his slightly odd behavior. She had at least expected him to bow before he went to work.

“Shh...don’t disturb him”, Celestia hushed her, much to Luna’s surprise. She tried to ask some more questions but she decided to keep it to herself.

“Uh...Sherlock?” Rarity stood behind the detective with a nervous smile.

“Rarity”, Sherlock turned to take a look at his cousin.

“I see you’re still...ahem...wearing the scarf I made for you”, she adlibbed when her sight fell on the black scarf she gifted him at his birthday.

“Yes, have I properly thanked you for it?” Sherlock asked back, holding the scarf with his left hoof.

“No you haven’t”, Rarity almost shouted but she managed to control herself. Sherlock never thanked her for anything in his life nor did he give her a single comforting word, “Are you going to....?” she asked with some hope that Sherlock might have changed over the years.

“Don’t press your luck”, Sherlock merely turned away, much to the surprise of Rarity and the others. So much for Sherlock turning over a new leaf.

Pinkie wasn’t able to take it anymore. Sherlock was a rude pony and she was determined to make him apologize for it.

“Hey, you meanie!” she quickly stood in front of the stallion, “Why didn’t you thank Rarity for her gift?”

“Be gone. I don’t have time for jokes, I’ve work to do”, Sherlock replied coldly while Pinkie stared at him in disbelief.

“A joke? Rarity made that for you and you call it a joke?!” Pinkie yelled, scaring Fluttershy and making her hide behind her other friends.

No answer came from Sherlock. He was trying to tune out all the noise the annoying pink pony was making. He couldn’t care less about Rarity let alone her friends.

“Pinkie, you should really calm down”, Rainbow Dash tried to pull Pinkie away from Sherlock but her hoof was roughly brushed away.

“Hey! I’m talking to you!” Pinkie yelled again. Sherlock couldn’t take it anymore. His mental volcano had finally erupted and it was sure as hell gonna burn this pony.

“What in Equestria is wrong with you!?” Sherlock began his rant as Rarity gulped; knowing what was about to come next, “Whatever broken rift or bond between me and Rarity is none of your concern even if you have some so-called personal alliance with her and these other wretches. I swear, you must have some mental disorder or lack of brain cells to bring out that kind of ignorant behavior. Why don’t you go and see a shrink? Better yet, get the hay out of here, rid the world of your cancerous existence and let me work in peace!!!” he yelled right in Pinkie’s face.

Nopony said anything for a few seconds. Before long, tears formed in the corner of Pinkie’s eyes and her mane completely deflated. As strange as that was, it did nothing to quell the frustration inside Sherlock.

Without saying another word, Pinkie rushed out of the room.

“Pinkie! Come back!” Applejack yelled as she and the others pursued their runaway friend.

“I hope you’re feeling good inside”, Rarity growled.

“I’m feeling awesome”, Sherlock sarcastically said as he watched the mares leave the room.

“Was that really necessary?” Cadance asked. She was no stranger to Sherlock’s outbursts whenever he was frustrated or enraged but this one was unlike any other.

“As necessary as you asking me that question. Let’s get back to the problem in hoof”, Sherlock simply said, pretending like nothing had happened.

“I demand you go and apologize”, Luna stood before him. She wasn’t just going to let him get away with that act especially since it happened right in front of her.

“Celestia?” Sherlock turned his attention to the older sister instead.

“Sister, please calm down”, Celestia told her sister. Luna gave her a surprised look before it was replaced with another rage face.

“Calm down? He’s disrespectful and he dared to say all those things in our presence”, she countered, “He is not going anywhere unless he promises to give the pink one an apology”.

“Sherlock, you’re going to apologize, are you not?” Celestia asked the stallion who simply shrugged, “He’ll apologize”, she gave Luna a nervous smile who wasn’t amused one bit.

“He better”, Luna growled as she turned away, not wanting to even look at Sherlock Hooves.

“Okay, I’m done”, Sherlock said, “Your guess was right. Sunset Shimmer did have some help”, he told Celestia.

“What kind of help?” Cadance asked.

“I am not sure but whoever they are, they have knowledge of this castle and they possesses at least one blueprint of it”, Sherlock told them, “And they probably also know about the positions of the guards and their routine. Not to mention the secret passages as well as the absence of magical alarms inside Twilight’s bedroom”.

“How did you...” Celestia was about to ask but she remembered the old rule, “I mean, then it must mean somepony who knows the innards of this castle clearly is working with Sunset Shimmer”, Celestia deduced.

“That is correct”, Sherlock said, “I want the names of everypony who has worked here when I return”, he added.

“When you return? Where are you going?” Cadance raised an eyebrow.

“I’m going to interrogate Miss Shimmer”, Sherlock replied without showing any expressions or emotions. He took a step towards the portal, preparing to go through it.

“Wait! You might cause an imbalance of magic inside the portal”, Celestia warned him.

“I am pretty sure that will not happen, considering that I do not possess any physical magic at all”, Sherlock said, moving closer and closer, “However, the portal will only sustain my travel so you will have to prevent any other pony from doing so lest there will be unwanted consequences”, he gave them one last warning.

“Be careful”, Cadance said with concern in her voice.

“I will be”, Sherlock gave them all an assuring nod before he jumped right in, bracing himself internally for whatever that awaited his arrival. He was going to meet Sunset Shimmer again and he was sure as hell gonna fulfill the promise he made long ago.

However, something made him feel a bit uneasy or was it someone?

Author's Note:

Well, thanks for reading this chapter and be sure to tune in next time. Add a comment if you'd like, I'd appreciate any kind of feedback.