• Published 22nd Jan 2015
  • 2,841 Views, 99 Comments

Super Smash Bros: Harmony Rising - Lance Skyes



Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash become a part of the largest and most exciting combat tournament in history... whether they want to or not.

  • ...
5
 99
 2,841

7: New Friends, New Foes

“I must be having a bad dream,” Lucario said to himself as he watched Twilight prepare to battle Mewtwo, the pony armed with nothing but a book. “This can't actually be happening.”

In the arena, however, Twilight was busy sizing Mewtwo up. ”Okay, so he beat Captain Falcon in less than two minutes,” she thought to herself. ”And with not nearly as much flair as Falcon had at that. He's skilled, but also patient. He'll be waiting for me to make a move and then lock me in a no-win situation the second I make a stupid move. I'll have to be careful in this fight.” The alicorn then looked down at her book. “It's go big or go home, as Rainbow Dash would put it,” she said aloud as she looked back up at Mewtwo.

”Are you ready to start, Princess?” Mewtwo asked.

“Yes,” Twilight replied with a serious expression. “I'm ready.”

The robot above the arena, ROB, responded to this by playing the battle start announcement. 3... 2... 1... GO!” he shouted.

(Music)

Well, R.O.B. shouted “go”, but neither combatant made a move. Twilight and Mewtwo just stood there, staring at each other.

”What's the matter, Twilight Sparkle?” Mewtwo asked. ”You aren't going to make a move?”

Twilight smirked before replying. “Actually, I am going to make a move,” she replied. She then threw her book to the ground in an open position, knelt down... and started reading.

”What?” Mewtwo asked, wide-eyed as he watched the alicorn read. It was only a few seconds before Twilight turned the page and began reading more. However, it was at this point that Mewtwo noticed something. The second Twilight turned the page, her horn flashed faintly. It was only for a second, but Mewtwo had been in enough battles, Smash Bros and otherwise, to recognize what even a faint flash indicated. ”I see your game... but I won't let you play it!” Mewtwo then charged forward at Twilight, who had just turned the next page of her book. The princess looked up just in time to see Mewtwo levitating towards her at high speed, however.

“Looks like the gig is up,” Twilight said to herself as she quickly got up and dodged out of the way of Mewtwo's charge. The Genetic Pokemon just barely missed his attack, but he was able to quickly turn around and strike Twilight with his tail before the princess could manage a counter attack. Twilight stumbled back slightly from the hit, but quickly regained her footing and moved in to strike Mewtwo with her book. The attack made contact, making a swiping motion that knocked Mewtwo backwards a bit. Twilight then lowered her horn and aimed it at Mewtwo. “Magic Spark!” she shouted as a blast of magical energy fired forward and struck Mewtwo in the chest, knocking him backwards just enough to give Twilight space to read one more page of her book.

Or so she thought, as Mewtwo quickly recovered and moved in to grab Twilight right off the ground before throwing her upwards. The Genetic Pokemon then leapt upwards and delivered an upward kick that knocked Twilight higher into the air. She came close to hitting the ceiling, but she was able to recover just before that happened before flying downwards at Mewtwo with her forehooves extended. Mewtwo was able to dodge out of the way of this attack, however, and Twilight hit the ground hard. She had to take a moment to recover from the impact, and that was the moment Mewtwo needed to rush in and deliver a powerful Smash attack that sent Twilight flying backwards. Once more, Twilight was able to recover before hitting the far wall and began flying back towards the stage, but she saw that Mewtwo was already charging a Shadow Ball. ”Great,” Twilight thought to herself as she reached the edge of the stage and grabbed onto it. ”I'm gonna have to change my tactics now.” With a powerful beat of her wings, Twilight flipped herself upwards and into the air above the arena. “Let's see if I can't use this to my advantage, in fact...” The alicorn then flew to the ground right in front of Mewtwo.

”Big mistake, Princess!” Mewtwo shouted as he fired his Shadow Ball directly at Twilight just as she was about to hit the ground.

“TELEPORT!” Twilight shouted as she approached the ground, her horn glowing slightly before she blinked out of existence and the Shadow Ball flew harmlessly by. She then reappeared right in front of Mewtwo and gave him a powerful mule kick that knocked the Genetic Pokemon backwards and falling off the stage. Twilight knew he'd likely recover from that hit, so she took the opportunity to continue reading her book.

As for Mewtwo, as he fell, he quickly used his psychic powers to right himself in midair, fly upwards in a loop, and quickly use the move Teleport to get from just barely under the stage to standing right on top of the stage. It was at this time, however, that he saw Twilight begin to glow slightly as she closed her book and stand back up. ”Looks like she's done charging whatever move that is,” Mewtwo said to himself. ”I suppose now it's time to see what this pony is made of.” He then charged forward towards Twilight to try another attack on her.

Before Mewtwo could even get close, however, Twilight dropped a ball of energy from her book right in Mewtwo's path, causing the Genetic Pokemon to suddenly fall to the ground the second he levitated over it. “I call that one a Chapter Trap,” Twilight said with a smirk. “And this particular variation is called EPILOGUE!” Twilight then launched a similar but much larger ball of energy (which from this distance Mewtwo could tell it looked closer to a glowing piece of paper) right on top of the Genetic Pokemon. Mewtwo tried to get out of the way, but the attack had him trapped, and he felt himself take multiple hits before he was launched by the page exploding. As Mewtwo flew, Twilight began Studying once more.

Mewtwo was in bad shape, but he'd pulled wins from worse situations than this in the past. He quickly leapt back towards the stage, but before he could get close to the edge, Twilight dropped her Study for just a moment to fire another Magic Spark at Mewtwo which knocked him further away from the stage. Twilight then returned to her Study, which was almost completely charged. As for Mewtwo, he might have used his jump, but he still had Teleport, which he used to get just barely on the edge of the stage. He grabbed onto the edge and quickly flipped himself back onto the stage, but when he got back on, he was met with Twilight aiming her horn at him once more.

“HYPER SPARK!” Twilight shouted as a huge blast of charged magic shot out of her horn at Mewtwo and hit him with a powerful impact that sent him flying right into the far wall, where he fell into the pit below, all but defeated.

(Song end)

Literally the entire audience did nothing but look on with stunned expressions as Mewtwo fell and Twilight was left standing in the center of the arena. The Bronto Burt who was assigned with retrieving the loser of the battle was too stunned to move, and even ROB was so shocked, it was several seconds before he called “GAME!”

And that was when what few members of the audience that were there went wild with cheers. Everyone there, including the Ice Climbers and Captain Falcon, was at the very least applauding and at most screaming wildly for the previously unknown combatant, Princess Twilight Sparkle, who came out of nowhere and bested the mighty Mewtwo with what seemed to be no effort at all.

Amid the cheers, Twilight flew back over to the stands to meet her new fans, as well as giving the Bronto Burt a tap, snapping the creature back to reality so he could zip down into the pit as fast as he could to retrieve Mewtwo. Meanwhile, Twilight was quick to meet Lucario, who just stared at her with a shocked expression. “You... you... wha... how...?” the Aura Pokemon stammered. “That was... astounding! Almost no one here can defeat Mewtwo one-on-one!”

“I'll admit, it wasn't easy,” Twilight replied. “But it was a fairly simple technique. All I had to do was keep him off-balance and take all the opportunities that gave me to ready stronger attacks.”

“That's the technique he uses...” Lucario said. “Others have tried to use it against him, but they all fail.”

“Well, maybe they just needed to add a bit of flair,” Twilight replied with a shrug.

”Excuse me, Princess,” a voice said from behind the two. Twilight and Lucario turned around to find Mewtwo floating there. ”That fight we just had... I wanted to say... your combat skills are fairly impressive.”

“Thank you,” Twilight replied with a smile. “I just tried-”

”Bask in the glory while you can,” Mewtwo interrupted while glaring at the alicorn. ”When next we face each other in battle...” The Genetic Pokemon held his hand in front of him and clenched it into a fist. ”You will not be so lucky.” Mewtwo then turned around and floated away.

Twilight watched Mewtwo leave with a determined expression. “What is wrong with that guy?” she asked.

“His superiority means everything to him,” Lucario replied. “He doesn't take loss very kindly. You will make many friends if news of your victory spreads around, but Mewtwo will now be your greatest rival no matter what.”

Twilight sighed and turned around to Lucario. “Lucario, I want you to tell me something...” she said. “What's wrong with Mewtwo? I mean in the sense of what personal issues does he tries to hide with his power.”

“Well...” Lucario said. However, he stopped when he noticed Ridley flying towards them.

”Well now, it seems someone is making a name for herself all of a sudden,” Ridley said as he landed in front of Twilight. ”Congratulations on your victory, Miss No-Combat-Skills-Whatsoever.”

“Um... thank you?” Twilight replied, unsure if Ridley was angry or legitimately complimenting her.

”It would seem I was right to choose you to aid us,” Ridley continued with a sinister smile. ”Now that you have proved your power, I believe it's time I informed you of what we need you to do.”

Twilight grumbled a little at Ridley's first comment, but replied. “What is that you need my incredible unmatched power for?” she asked with a sarcastic tone, looking up at Ridley with huge adorable eyes at the end of her sentence.

”Amusing,” Ridley said with an unamused expression and tone. ”No, what I need you to do is go out and locate a hero who is next on Overlord V's list. His name is Marth, though he is rightly titled the Hero King. He rules the country of Altea and is a very skilled swordsman. His swordplay would prove invaluable in our battle against V, and if he is captured, it will strike a powerful blow to our effort against V, or any effort for that matter.”

“The Hero King, huh?” Twilight asked. She then chuckled a little. “Yeah, I'm a little more than familiar with royalty who fights for their kingdom.” ”I wonder how Cadence and Shining Armor are doing right now,” Twilight thought to herself. ”Or even Princess Celestia and Luna. They've fought for Equestria before. Oh yeah, and then there's me and my friends...”

”Did I say something amusing, Princess Twilight?” Ridley asked, noticing that the alicorn seemed to be spacing out a little.

“Oh, no, I was just... thinking about my world, Equus,” Twilight replied. “Okay, I'll go find this Marth character for you, but out of curiosity, is this one of those 'prove your worth' missions that you're making me do so that you'll know you can trust me, and only afterwards will you make me do something serious?”

”You are more perceptive than I give you credit for, Princess Twilight.”

“If I may, Ridley,” Lucario said while stepping forward, “I'd like to accompany Twilight for this mission in case she finds herself in serious danger. She is the only representative of her world, so Overlord V may target her for capture as well.”

”That's a good point, Lucario. However, I already have someone selected to accompany Twilight.” Ridley then looked over towards Twilight. ”I believe you will like who I've selected for you. Royalty must stick together, after all.”

As Ridley said this, another creature walked up to the group. To Twilight, it looked like a VERY large penguin wearing a heavy red coat, orange mittens, a red cap, and wielding a giant hammer. The creature towered over Twilight by easily two feet. “It's good to meet you, Princess Twilight Sparkle,” the creature said in a monstrous voice but with a strangely jolly smile as he held his free hand out to shake with Twilight. “The name's King Dedede, ruler of Dream Land.”

“Um...” Twilight said as she extended her hoof towards Dedede's hand. “It's nice to meet- WHA!” The second her hoof touched Dedede's hand, the latter quickly grabbed her hoof firmly and shook it, also shaking her entire body vigorously as a result of the size and strength difference.

“Heh, you're just as light as Kirby,” Dedede laughed as she finally released Twilight, causing her to fall to the ground from the sudden shift in balance. “Now that I think about it, I wonder what that little puffball is doing right now...”

”Dedede, if you would be so kind as to focus on the task at hand,” Ridley said with a glare to the massive monarch.

“Oh right,” Dedede said. He then picked up Twilight and slung her over his shoulder. “Don't you worry, Ridley. With me by her side, I haven't a doubt that Princess Twilight here will succeed.”

“Seriously, can't Lucario go with me?” Twilight pleaded while looking over at Ridley.

“Oh, don't be such a stiff, Twilight,” Dedede said as he set Twilight back on the ground. “With a heavyweight like me by your side, we'll get Marth on our team without a hitch. Besides, I'm all for getting to know the newcomers.”

Twilight had an argument ready until Dedede mentioned “getting to know the newcomers,” which was essentially making friends, a principle Twilight would be a hypocrite for denying. “Alright, fine,” Twilight surrendered with a sigh. She then turned around to Ridley. “Just tell us where we need to go.”

”I will arrange for Captain Falcon to have you two transported to Marth's last known location,” Ridley replied. ”In the meantime, make all the preparations you have to.” Ridley then turned around and flew off.

“I wish I could go with you two,” Lucario said. “But Captain Falcon's aircraft, the Falcon Flier, can barely fit Dedede as it is.”

“HEY!” Dedede shouted. “I'm standing right here, you know!”

“It's ok, Lucario,” Twilight said with a smile. “Maybe next time.”

“Yeah, if I could only fly...” Lucario said with a sigh. “But it doesn't matter. I wish you luck, Twilight Sparkle.” With a smile, Lucario turned and walked off. Twilight smiled as she watched him leave, but she was interrupted by a whistle from Dedede.

“Sounds like you're pretty good at doing the impossible,” he commented, causing Twilight to turn around and look at him with a curious expression. “One second, you're KO-ing the mighty Mewtwo, and the next, you've actually roped Lucario into a relationship.”

“What?!” Twilight shouted. “What do you mean, 'relationship'?”

“Come on, you can't be that oblivious,” Dedede deadpanned. “He might want you to believe otherwise, but Lucario's one of the most transparent combatants here when it comes to emotions.”

“Well...” Twilight said while looking down with a smile.

“Ohhhhohoho...” Dedede laughed. “So the feelings are mutual, eh?”

“No!” Twilight quickly replied. “I... already have a boyfriend... sort of...” The alicorn shook her head. “Can we please not talk about this?”

“Ah, calm down,” Dedede replied. “I'm just messing with you. Now come on.” Dedede then picked Twilight up and slung her over his shoulder once again before walking off. “We'd better go meet Captain Falcon. He's an impatient one, and if Ridley leaves him alone and we take too long, Falcon just might go off and find Marth himself.”

Twilight simply sighed as the giant penguin carried her off. Something told her this was going to be a long day.

Author's Note:

As if there was ever any doubt Twilight was gonna hand Mewtwo's flank to him.
...
Okay, at first I was going to have Twilight get utterly demolished, but then I thought to myself "Ya know... why shouldn't Twilight win? Mewtwo's psychic, but Twilight's magic. Also books."
And then that outcome happened.
Alright, so coming soon will be Princess Twilight and King Dedede going out to find the Hero King Marth. That's three members of royalty right there. Anyone got any guesses as to who the fourth will be?
Also, Dedede's in this chapter for two reasons. One: "Sakurai's character does something important" cliche, which I'm going to be using a lot so that this fic feels more like something that would actually happen in the Smash Bros series. Two: he isn't really a villain. An anti-hero possibly, which is why he's a part of the Renegade Alliance. He's no hero, but he wasn't going to join Overlord V either, so he joined Ridley.
Okay, that's all I wanted to say. Cya.