• Published 17th Jan 2015
  • 1,005 Views, 13 Comments

A Cloudsdale Reunion - Darkmetroidz



Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash both receive unexpected letters from their fathers, asking them to come home, despite both having bad history with their parents.

  • ...
11
 13
 1,005

Chapter 3

Despite the family outing being about Gale Force, Fluttershy still found herself attracting much more attention than she typically appreciated. Every stallion (and a good number of mares) stared at her with jaws hanging open as the Flutters rode past in their chariot. One dark blue colt, armed with a harp, stopped them along the road so that he and his two companions, one with a flute and the other with a violin, might play her a song. Strangely enough, Fluttershy did not mind. She felt a new-found confidence with her father and brothers at her sides, enough to the point where she felt comfortable enough to blow a kiss toward the bards.

"You're a regular charmer sis," Afterburned laughed, nudging her in the ribs, "I guess all the stallions back home are always chasing after you."

Fluttershy gave a dainty laugh, "Oh no. Almost nopony pays attention to me in Ponyville. I usually just stay out of sight."

The bards, who were following them now, beating their wings as they played, balked at the notion, "Stay out of sight?" One gasped.

"Alas, she is a cruel beauty to hide such a sight from the world." The second melodramatically declared.

"Madame, for the sake of the stallions of Equestria, you mustn't! Your beauty is Celestia's gift upon the world, do not deny us your radiance!" The final stallion sung.

Gale and Afterburner were both laughing at the theatrics of the musicians. Eventually, they gave up their pursuit, the effort of trying to maintain a perfectly played serenade while flying at roadway speeds was proving too difficult for the trio of heartthrobs.

The restaurant, the Aerolounge, was a popular venue for the noteworthy citizens of Cloudsdale. The establishment offered one of the few fine dining experiences in the city, one comparable even to Canterlot eateries. The Flutters entered, and were quickly seated by the host. The staff knew the Flutters by sight, and many among them noticed the addition of the young, lovely mare among them.

"Sir, this would not happen to be your son's fiancé, would she?" Asked their waiter as he brought them to their table, "The wedding is the talk of the town."

Flutterfury shook his head with a chuckle. "This is my daughter, Fluttershy. After being gone for so many years, my firstborn foal is home." Everyone in earshot of Flutterfury clapped at the revelation. Fluttershy nervously waved back to the onlookers.

They were taken into the back room, which contained few tables, none of which were occupied. The waiter pulled out a chair for Fluttershy. "Such a gentlecolt," She giggled as the waiter blushed.

"How many more guests are you expecting?" The server asked them.

"Two more, thank you." Flutterfury answered. Wordlessly, the waiter pulled two more chairs up to the large round table, and fetched the requisite menus. The family chattered for a few minutes before they saw two more pegasi walking their way, one of which Fluttershy instantly recognized, even though her rainbow mane was arranged in a sophisticated style.

"Fluttershy?" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, darting away from her dad to hug her friend. "I wasn't sure if you'd be here, how are you?"

"Oh, I'm very well Rainbow Dash, how are you?" She smiled.

Rainbow looked at her father out of the corner of her eyes, "I'm great. Haha..."

Fluttershy curiously looked around, "Is Twilight not here? I thought you were-"

"She couldn't make it. I asked her to be my guest so she could maybe meet my date whom I am so excited to meet, but urgent business came up and she had to go home." Fluttershy was suspicious of her nervous smile and rapid speech, but didn't press her any further.

"Excited to meet him eh?" Afterburner chuckled, "Then may I, Afterburner Flutter, kindly introduce you to our brother, Gale Force." Gale stepped forward. Rainbow had to admit, he was as handsome as they came. In the PEF style, he kept his mane shorn very short, but it gave him a very professional and disciplined air.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Rainbow Dash nervously laughed.

Gale bowed chivalrously, "Milady, the pleasure is mine. Your father did not exaggerate when he told me how lovely you are."

Rainbow Dash blushed. She knew she didn't like stallions. She had never liked stallions. And yet here she was blushing like a filly. Why in the name of Celestia did he have to be so charming?

"I'm sure that's what you say to all the pretty mares," She said. She could feel herself becoming jittery. She hadn't entered the restaurant with a plan. She didn't know how to let Gale Force off without disappointing her father. He being Fluttershy's brother made it even worse for her. She had no idea what Fluttershy thought of this situation, but the way she sat next to Afterburner and Commander Flutterfury did trouble Rainbow. She was not her usual awkward self. Fluttershy had opened up around her family. She had even struck up a conversation with Inferno, and they both seemed to be having fun.

So that was another pony who she would be letting down tonight.

No. I have to make this work. Rainbow Dash vowed with a new sense of commitment. She felt an unwelcome, familiar feeling, one that she had ridden herself of since she had left Cloudsdale. She felt queasy with bad memories. Compulsion. Almost nopony could ever get Rainbow Dash to do something she didn't want to do. But Inferno Dash had always had a hypnotic effect on her. He was able to exert his will on her to such a degree that it reduced her to putty in his hooves. In all her years, Rainbow Dash never figured out what her father did to her that made her feel the way she did. Was it fear? She certainly did have a healthy fear for his wrath. Duty? Was her being his daughter make her obligated to concede to his will? Perhaps it was dependence, a foal's need to attach themselves to a protector that would offer guidance, a youthful instinct she had never outgown? It didn't matter, at least not in Rainbow's mind. All that mattered was that she, Rainbow Dash, fastest flyer in Equestria, who had confronted Nightmare Moon, Discord, the Changeling horde, and so many more, was powerless before her father. And it made her furious. While under Inferno's watchful eye, she never was able to develop her passions. Indeed, she had gotten her cutie mark while she was away from him, at Junior Flight Camp. And while he was impressed by her capabilities, he still insisted she focus her efforts in enlistment in the PEF. To be a ranger, or a captain. With him around, she could never be who she wanted to be.

Like for so many years under his hoof, Rainbow Dash waved the white flag. She concentrated hard, attempting to emulate Rarity's manners as much as possible. Okay, maybe that's asking for too much. She conceded. Maybe Twilight-level politeness is enough. The thought of Twilight brought a pang of guilt into her chest. She had not been able to rid herself of the image of her friend flying off, in tears. Rarity it is then.

She sat at the table, with Fluttershy at her left and Gale Force on her right. Inferno Dash, fortunately, was sitting on the far side of the table, and seemed distracted by his conversation with Fluttershy's dad.

She looked over the menu, searching desperately for something she could identify. She longed for Applejack's apple fritters which had recently become a mainstay of her diet.

"Does anything look good to you?" Gale asked.

This must be what it feels like to be Fluttershy. Rainbow thought with annoyance, "I haven't found anything yet. What are you looking at?"

"Uh, well the Eggplant casserole looks good." He answered. Rainbow immediately referred to the page of the menu containing the dish in question. She grimaced. She despised eggplant.

Luckily, the next page did contain a few dishes she was at least comfortable with. Pasta Primavera may not have been a favorite for Dash, but at least she knew what the waiters would be bringing her.

Gale Force gave another try at striking up a conversation, "So, Rainbow Dash. What do you like to do for fun?"

Rainbow inhaled. Think Rarity. Think Rarity. Think Rarity. Classy. Effeminate. Oh Celestia what am I doing? Rainbow could almost feel her coat turning alabaster as she spoke, "Well, uh I love dresses." Come on Rainbow Dash. There's more to Rarity than that. "I like reading books." At least that one is true. Well. Kinda. She dug deeper, trying to channel Rarity. She hoped nopony could see the sweat beads that had begun running down her neck. "I like to sing, dance, cook." Let's just hope he doesn't ask for a demonstration. Rainbow Dash gulped when she saw the entire table looking at her. Inferno gave an approving nod. Fluttershy looked at her, eyebrow raised in confusion. Gale Force looked almost... disappointed. And Flutterfury and Afterburner seemed to be simply observing her.

"Oh. That's so... Interesting." He smiled.

"How about you?" She asked, trying to form her words with more annunciation. Again, just like Rarity.

"Well, work keeps me pretty busy, but when I'm not on duty, I like to study biology." So maybe interests do run in the family. "I read a lot, I play games..." Afterburner was looking at him intently, giving a gesture signaling him to keep talking. "I write poems- sometimes. I'm not very good."

Fortunately, at that moment, the waiter came back to take everypony's order. It might not have been her ideal meal, but Rainbow Dash was at least pleased that she managed to find a dish she could tolerate, and fortunately, Rarity's obsession with fine wines had been a blessing, allowing her to at least have an idea of what sort of beverage she ordered. It wasn't the hard Apple Family Cider she was used to, but perhaps that was for the best. Her getting drunk would be- as Rarity put it- the worst possible thing, at least at the moment.

The forty-five minutes required to get the meal out to the Dashes and the Flutters were among the most agonizing in Rainbow Dash's life. Her mind was moving at speeds she had never thought possible, trying to fabricate answers to the endless questions about her life that Gale Force was posing. She had no idea if any of the things she had said contradicted each other. Words were moving straight from brain to mouth, without an instant for review.

"So, do you like music?"

"Listen to it all the time! I love classical stuff. Can't get enough of Octavia's string quartet!"

"Do you like travelling?"

"I don't as much as I'd like, but I love going into Canterlot, and Manehattan for plays."

"So you're into theatre?"

"Yeah! I love Hinny of the Hills!" The occasional honest answer brought momentary relief to Rainbow Dash, but she could never truly relax, because she would already be formulating answers to questions he might ask next.

"So, uh, do you race by any chance?"

Rainbow Dash swallowed hard. Of all the lies she had to tell, this one was the most painful. She felt her father's eyes on her with searing intensity. Fluttershy, thankfully, had excused herself to the ladies room. Had she been there, Rainbow Dash had no doubt she would have spoke up about the lie. Whether or not anypony would hear her was another question, but not one she had the energy to think about. "Oh, no. I couldn't. It just isn't... ladylike." She felt so fake as she spoke, and suspected she looked it too.

"Oh. Okay then." Gale Force looked disappointed. Their food arrived after one of the most agonizing waits Rainbow Dash had ever endured. The conversation mercifully shifted to food, in which Rainbow Dash participated only minimally. She never really liked Pasta Primavera, but the taste came as sweet relief to the young mare. She had, hopefully, done it. She ate her food in dainty little bites, and despite her struggles, managed to at least pretend she ate with utensils on a normal basis.