• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 5,827 Views, 306 Comments

Sunset's Redemption - TheNewYorkBrony



Without Twilight being able to come through the portal to help, it's up to Sunset to protect the school from an impending evil and save her friends.

  • ...
15
 306
 5,827

Chapter 10

"What should we write?!" Pinkie questioned.

"Do you think it would work with us?" Rarity wondered.

"What if Sunset's magic is what activates the book?!" Rainbow cried.

"Well, there's only one way to find out," Fluttershy answered them all. She took a deep breath. "Dear Princess Twilight..."


Bzzzt.

Twilight turned over in her sleep.

Bzzzt.

"Five more minutes, Spike," She mumbled.

Bzzzt!

"Fine! Fine!" Twilight groaned. "I'm up!" She slammed a hoof down on her alarm clock but was confused when she realized the buzzing hadn't stopped. Realizing that wasn't her alarm clock but the book, she scrambled over to her desk and picked it up with her magic.

Dear Twilight,

Oh dear, where do we start? Well, for one thing this is Fluttershy writing to you and not Sunset. Sunset's kind of... busy. Well not busy, but long story short, she's being possessed by Maeva. She's planning something with The Dazzlings, (who are still alive but just barely by the way) and we don't know what it is. She said something about returning them to their former glory.

And Sunset wanted to do this all by herself, because she said we all can't call on you for help all the time because you're a princess but this is an emergency. We don't know if Maeva has full control or is just using her body at night. We think it might be affecting Sunset too...she had fainted from not eating, she's been getting these really awful headaches, and she's been really irritable. We all thought that you might be able to help. Though I don't think you should come through the portal. Your double from our world is helping us and we don't know how you two meeting or even being in the same room would affect both dimensions.

But since time is now running out and we're powerless without you or Sunset, I think that's the least of our problems. Please respond when you can! We think she's going to do something truly awful!

Yours in friendship, Fluttershy

Twilight's eyes bulged. "Oh no no no no!" She said, rummaging through her desk draw for her quill. She didn't want to wake Spike so she tried to make as little noise as possible. When she found it, she furiously began writing.

Dear Fluttershy,

Thank you for making me aware of the situation. I was unaware of the other things affecting Sunset. This is bad. This is really, really bad. I was reading up on Maeva again last night and I found out that if she becomes powerful enough, she can perform a spell that will cause the host to lose control of their body completely. Forever most likely. And I think that’s her plan. If she has one of the Elements out of commission permanently, she has all of you out of commission. Her getting a new body is just a bonus.


If she’s able to stay in Sunset’s body until she has full control, not only will we lose Sunset forever, Maeva will now have a new permanent body to do as she pleases.


This is something we need to discuss in person. I’m coming through the portal. Meet me at the school in fifteen minutes.


Yours in friendship, Twilight Sparkle.


Maeva grinned at the passed out Sirens in front of her. Her plan was coming together perfectly. Once she got those brats out of the way, this world would be hers and there would be no one standing in her way.


All she had needed was a little more power. Just enough for her to be able to perform the ritual of her needs. This world didn't have as much as Equestria, but thanks to that pocket of magical energy opened by those teens and the way that it affected their fellow students, she had had an all you can eat buffet.


Once she performed the ritual, she'd have this body forever, and this world would be under her control.


She wished she hadn't strung the Sirens along, especially since they were eons older than her, but she knew that the last of their Equestrian magic was exactly what she needed. She technically wasn't lying. They were going to return to their former glory.


Through her.


Now it was time to get this show on the road.


Being on school property in the middle of the night was a first for all of the girls as they stood in front of the horse statue waiting for their other worldly friend.


The ride over in Rarity's sedan had been an awkward one, what with explaining to Twilight of meeting her counterpart.


There was a nervous edge of excitement (Pinkie called it being "nervicited",) in the air as the clock struck ten.


They knew nothing of what could happen when Twilight meet Twilight face to face. They knew nothing of what Twilight's reaction to Princess Twilight would be and vice versa. (Even though Science Twilight had taken the whole pony thing pretty well.)


The portal began to ripple, and then out stepped Twilight, wobbling a bit as she stood up. Instead of her usual dorky smile, there was a serious frown on her face. She had something in her hand that looked like an old tome. "Hello girls," She greeted.


"Fascinating! She even has my voice!" Scientist Twilight gushed, a hand on her chin as she examined Twilight. "You should not be possible! You are not scientifically possible!"


"Actually, magic aside, I was reading up on the findings of your scientists in this world and found that parallel words are indeed possible." Princess Twilight explained seriously but couldn't help crack a smile. "This is so cool!"


"Uh, sorry to break up the nerd fest, but we have bigger problems." Dash piped, reminding them all of the matter at hand.


"Though I am glad the whole rip in the time space continuum thing didn't happen," Rarity commented.


"Right." Twilight nodded. “I was thinking we could camp out here at the school. She’s likely to come back here to perform the spell because it’s the place where she got most of her energy from.”


“Oh! School sleepover!” Pinkie cheered. “I have just the thing for such emergencies too!” She reached into her hair and pulled out a key. “I always keep a spare pair of jammies in the janitors closet for all of us!”


Fluttershy tilted her head in confusion. “Why?”


“Because you never know when a spontaneous sleepover will happen, silly billy!” Pinkie teased, booping the meek girl on the nose playfully.


“What?!” Science Twilight asked.


Rainbow put a hand on her shoulder. “Try not to think about it too hard. That’s just Pinkie being good ol’ Pinkie.”


They entered the school, the feeling of being there long after the last of the teachers and students had left making them a little antsy. They followed Princess Twilight to the library after stopping by the janitors closet to get flashlights and the spare pajamas Pinkie had stored in there.


Once they made it to the upstairs portion of the library, they set up camp and Princess Twilight set down the tome that she had brought through the portal with her.


“I was worried it wouldn’t transition well, but it seems like nothing has changed,” She said, opening the large leather bound book.

“Ah’ve been meanin’ ta ask. What the hay is that?” Applejack said, pointing to the book. “It looks really old and it’s kind of creepy.”


“It’s a journal on dark magic written by Clover the Clever and Starswirl the Bearded. They are like the Einstein of my world,” Twilight explained. “I found it deep within the Canterlot archives. Celestia and Luna had told me that they knew next to nothing about Maeva, but something told me that there was more to this than what was publicly known, even to the higher ups like the Princesses,” She turned to a particular page in the journal.


“There were mentions of King Sombra, another monster from my world who used dark magic to enslave ponies. Him and the entire kingdom of the Crystal Empire were sealed away to prevent him from spreading his evil tyranny. It wasn’t until my sister in law Cadence, with the help of my dragon assistant Spike, returned the Crystal Heart to it’s rightful place did he cease to exist.” There was a solemn look on her face as she spoke, the glow of the flashlights surrounding her making her face look hard and ominous.


“Not even gonna ask about the whole dragon thing.” Science Twilight said. “But okay, how is this going to help us with Maeva?”


“Yeah! Can’t we blast her with the same stuff we blasted Sunset with? The Elements could take care of her sorry butt lickety split!” Dash agreed, pounding her fist.


“That’s what I meant to tell you guys. My friends and I gave our Elements back to The Tree of Harmony. It was dying, and without the Elements, it would have been lost forever,” Princess Twilight told them with a sigh. “That’s also why I brought this, to see if we could find any hint of how they defeated her. Starswirl and Clover worked together to defeat her long before the Elements existed. If they could do it before, who’s to say we can’t do it again?”

“I’m wondering exactly what she needs The Dazzlings for...” Rarity spoke up. “It’s not like they could be of any use. Those poor dears, I know they’ve caused so much trouble for us, but that doesn’t mean they should live in filth!”


Twilight raised her brows. “What are you talking about?”


“We strapped a camera to Sunset a few hours ago because she believed Maeva was able to get full control when she was asleep. It turns out it was true, and she had rode Sunset’s bike all the way out to Crystal Point.” Fluttershy explained.


“And there we saw The Dazzlings covered in dirt in ragged clothing, huddled up together by a fire! Oh, It was absolutely horrible to watch!” Rarity wailed, fainting onto her sleeping bag.


“She’s playing on their insecurities,” Science Twilight concluded.


“Huh?” Everyone asked.


“Think about it. She went to them, and told them she could return them to their ‘former glory’,” She explained making air quotes with her fingers. “That can’t be good. From what we’ve seen, Maeva only seems to care about herself. And if that’s any indication of her personality, well, let’s just say those Sirens are in some deep doodie.”


“We don’t know how powerful she has become though. How do we know what she’s going to do with them?” Applejack asked.


Science Twilight snapped her fingers. “The jacket! Sunset had gotten her leather jacket snagged on a fence and left a piece on it. I collected it and brought it back to my lab to collect Sunset’s DNA, but also when I tested it again, it said there was exponential levels of magical energy. She’s powerful, sure, but not enough. She needs just a bit more to get her where she needs to be. And who better than three former Equestrian creatures themselves!”


Princess Twilight paled. “You’re not saying she-”


Science Twilight nodded curtly. “Yes, I’m saying she used the Sirens as a last meal. She sacrificed them to gain the last bit of energy she needs to perform that ritual. And if the sudden change of weather is of any indication, the time for her spellcasting has come.”


Sunset awoke in a bright room of nothingness. There was nothing but endless space and the floor and ceiling above her. She didn’t exactly remember what had happened. All she knew was that she had went home and fell asleep. She had no idea how long she had been out, but she knew that she wasn’t awake. At least, not consciously.


So she is controlling me at the moment, She thought, her eyes scanning around. Was this her prison? Was this where she always went when Maeva was in control? Or was this new because of all the new magical energy surging through her veins?


Whatever the case, she was here now and something was very, very wrong. Suddenly, the room shifted, and morphed into an abandoned and dilapidated version of the school with windows broken, bricks falling, and wind howling through the open hallways. It was eerie to say the least.


Sunset found herself sitting in a lone student’s desk in front of a teacher’s desk with the big leather chair turned all the way around. She would have thought no one was in it if it weren’t for the eerie and distorted whistle of her song from the Battle of the Bands.

“Nice song you got there,” Whoever was in the chair said.


The voice sounded close. Too close. Close to her own and she didn’t like it. Chills ran up her spine as her heart began to race, sweat starting to cling to her. “Show yourself!” She shouted at the chair, standing up. She flexed her fists as the chair swiveled around, and felt her stomach drop to the floor once she saw who was sitting in it.


Right there, in front of her, was herself. Not just any version of herself, but the thing she turned into at the Fall Formal.


The negative copy grinned manically as Sunset stood frozen with fright. “Well, well, well. Long time no see, eh?”

Author's Note:

Aaaaand things are heating up aren't they?! I wonder how this will all play out, huh? :trollestia: