• Published 2nd Jan 2015
  • 752 Views, 22 Comments

Club Vinyl - BlazzingInferno



Octavia’s career is killing her. Vinyl’s career is in jeopardy. Could two friends from opposite ends of the music spectrum help each other rediscover their talents?

  • ...
0
 22
 752

To The Club

Octavia could see the symphony. Notes from each instrument glided past each other in rigid yet beautiful patterns, like the interlocking gears in a clock. Melodies and countermelodies arose out of the notes, giving shape and context to each sound. The symphony, the synergy arising from the perfect lock-step motion of every string and valve, was breathtaking, but only for a moment.

The moment ended, as it always did, with their new conductor rapping his baton against the podium. The music faded into dissonance as his voice echoed through the empty concert hall.

“Is it too much to ask that the brass section come in on time? I have it on good authority that this piece is one of Princess Celestia’s personal favorites, and if you can’t get it right we might as well pack up and go home! Does anypony here even remember why this concert matters?”

Octavia sighed. The paycheck would be her answer. There wasn’t any other reason she’d put up with a week of tension-filled rehearsals that concluded well after midnight.

The conductor, a blue earth pony by the name of Perfect Note, gently set down his baton. “Charity. That’s why we’re here.” This was the calmest tone he’d used in hours. “The proceeds for this concert will help fund music education in the Canterlot public school system, and the Princesses themselves will be in attendance. Now if we could all turn back to–is there a problem, Mrs. Melody?”

Octavia tensed up. She hadn’t even realized she’d been yawning, at least not until Perfect Note’s fiery gaze was fixed on her like a spotlight. “Not at all, Mr. Note. I was just… well it’s getting late, Sir.”

Everypony in the orchestra looked to the clock on the far wall. It was a few minutes after one in the morning.

He threw his baton on the ground. “Then go home! Come back when you’re ready to take your craft and profession seriously.”

“But, Sir–”

“Go home!”

She was back in grade school and the teacher was sending her to the principal’s office. There wasn’t any point in arguing, not if she wanted to come back at all. Some of her neighbors watched her pack up her music while others buried their noses in their own. The concert hall, a room expressly designed to carry music to every ear with perfect clarity, magnified every sound she made. The rustle of her songbook and the creak of her music stand rang out like cymbal crashes against the backdrop of tense silence. Just thinking about how many eyes were fixed on her made her blush.

Somewhere else in the orchestra, chair squeaked against the hardwood floor as another pony stood. She already knew who it was, and it slowed her rapid heartbeat.

Concerto made no effort to work quietly. Somehow he made packing up his violin an even louder affair than her cello. “Goodnight, everypony. See you tomorrow night.”

Perfect Note shut his eyes and sighed. “What a surprise.”

“What, that I’m leaving, or that nopony else is?”

Gasps and a few murmured words spread through the orchestra. Octavia fastened the clasps on her cello case and slipped the strap over her neck. She stepped past the other cellists and, without looking back, waited for her husband to join her. By the time they reached the door at the back of the stage, several other chairs were squeaking against the hardwood floor. Apparently rehearsal was adjourning early tonight.

Wind blew down the streets as Octavia stepped onto the sidewalk with Concerto by her side. Summer nights in Canterlot were rarely this cold. There weren’t any taxis, or ponies for that matter, on the roads this hour. Walking would get them home by two at best.

She looked down the road and sighed. “Why do we put up with this? Perfect Note can’t treat professional musicians like foals.”

“I think he just did.”

“I should just quit. It’s not like I’m ever going to be first-seat cellist now anyway, not with him in charge. I’ll just play through the charity concert this weekend and leave for good.”

The familiar weight of her cello disappeared. She glanced over and saw the case balanced on his back. In response she leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Thanks, Con, and thanks for walking out with me.”

“I could always club him with my violin. You could hide the body in your cello case.”

“If he singles me out again then I’m all for it. Maybe Princess Celestia will have mercy and let us share a cell in the dungeon. They probably serve better food there anyway.”

“Come on, Tavi, your cooking’s not that bad.”

“Yes it is. You married a mare that can’t cook, Con, admit it. I guess it’d help if I wasn’t tired all the–” She yawned again and tripped. The cello case, pulled off balance by the strap around her neck, slipped off his back and dragged her down into a water puddle.

“Tavi! Are you okay?” He pulled the massive instrument away and helped her up. Her trademark white collar and pink tie were stained brown.

She brushed the grime out of her fur and shook her head. “No. No, I’m not okay.”

“Are you hurt?”

She nodded and pointed to her chest. “Right here. I love music, Con, but I don’t think I can do this anymore.”

“I know music’s a hard life, but we knew that when we started.”

“Maybe we thought we did. Remember when we got married, when you said if we didn’t have time for each other we’d find a way to make some?”

“Of course I remember.”

“It’s time to start making it. This past month we’ve had gigs and rehearsals every single day. When we’re not earning a living there’s chores to do, meals to make, and then we’re too tired to do anything else but sleep. There’s never any time for the two of us to just be… us.”

He rubbed his nose against her neck. “You’re absolutely right, let’s change that right now.”

She giggled and pushed him away. “It’s still going to take an hour to walk home.”

“We’re not going home.”

“Huh? What about dinner? What about the piles of laundry on the bed?”

“We’ll deal with all of that tomorrow. Right now we’re on a date.”

“At one in the morning?”

“It’s a big city, I’m sure some places are still open. We’ll eat out, crash at some cheap hotel, and take a taxi home in the morning.”

She sat down on the cello case and massaged one of her hooves. “That sounds lovely. Is there something close? I don’t care what we eat, just so long as I don’t have to lug this case around for hours.”

“Well, there is one place just a few minutes away…”

“Perfect! Let’s… wait, you don’t mean–”

---

The steady thump of bass beats could be felt from their vantage point across the street, and the flashing neon sign could probably be seen from the moon. There was nothing subtle about Club Vinyl; not its lights, not its music, and certainly not its namesake DJ.

Octavia put a hoof over her eyes. “Hay. You did mean this place.”

“Like I said, it’s close. They do serve food here, and considering who we know we’ll probably get in for free.”

“And be deafened shortly thereafter.”

“Sorry, Tavi, you married a stallion with diverse musical tastes. The next time we’re out on a One AM date you can pick where we go.”

She grinned. “Fine, fine, we’ll do it. At least I’ll never have to hear Perfect Note’s screeching voice again.”

“I could still club him with my violin if he gets out of line.”

“Right now I’d be more concerned about Vinyl.”

The club’s interior was the opposite of the concert hall. Strobe lights cast their pulsing glow on a dance floor, the tiny round tables that edged it, and the huge speakers hanging far above. The DJ booth, situated on the far side of the dance floor, was the brightest spot of all. Colorful lights panned across the stage, showing glimpses of the spinning turntables, glowing synthesizers, and the brown pony in the booth bobbing his head to the beat.

There were only a few ponies on the dance floor, and even fewer at the tables. Octavia set her cello case next to a free table and sat on top of it. In a dive like this she half expected somepony to steal it, although she had no idea what a pony who frequented a club like this would do with an instrument capable of making actual music.

Concerto joined her a few minutes later with a tray balanced on his head. “Hungry?” He had to shout to be heard at all.

“Starving.”

He set the tray down and joined her on the cello case. Their date night feast consisted of carrot dogs and hay fries.

“So, what’s a nice mare like you doing in a place like this?”

She batted her eyes and smiled. “Well, after my dashing husband rescued me from the fire breathing conductor, he insisted we come here for a bite to eat instead of walking home. Personally I think he’s just trying to get out of doing the dishes.”

“Is it going to work?”

“Perhaps, it depends on what else he has in–”

A white unicorn with a blue mane and magenta sunglasses wrapped her hooves around them. “Well if it isn’t my main mare and her totally awesome hubbo! What’re you doing up late on a school night, Tav?”

Octavia rolled her eyes. “Hello, Vinyl.”

Vinyl Scratch broke off the hug and sat between them. “That’s all you’ve got to say to your old roomie?”

“Could you tell me where the bathroom is?”

Vinyl laughed and stole one of her hayfries. “Yeah, yeah, I miss you too. So what’s up?”

“Our rehearsal ended late and we don’t feel like walking home, so we’re here… partying.”

“Finally! You two should come by more often. Can you believe how empty this place is?”

“Yes, and it’s lovely. At long last there’s a rave where I can walk across the room without bumping into fifty other ponies.”

Vinyl pulled off her glasses and wiped a tear away. “Yeah… I guess there’s that.”

“Vinyl… are you all right? I’ve never seen you cr–”

“Just something in my eye is all… Wanna eat upstairs in my place? I swear it’s quieter up there.”

Octavia looked to Concerto, who promptly nodded. “Sure, Vinyl. Lead the way.”