• Published 19th Dec 2014
  • 1,678 Views, 197 Comments

Stopped Clock - Carabas



Twilight Sparkle's day began with assassins from the future. It only got worse from there.

  • ...
6
 197
 1,678

“Oh, spare me. Us. Yourself. Whoever.”

In a set of dimensions whose relationship to the rest of time and space was tumultuous at best, a draconequus regarded the eleven cards in his grasp, and peered over their top to study his opponent.

The smooze’s own cards floated around its interior, affording Discord only brief glimpses past the opaque green. The smooze itself sported a blithe smile and bubbled to itself.

Discord had learned to hate that poker face.

“I’ll raise you ....” Discord’s gaze flitted around the interior of his dwelling and the bric-a-brac therein, “...an Antlertian fertility statue, the Crown Jewels of Bovaland - which we may have to give back, Celestia’s been getting shirty about that - and the shirt off my other back. Deal?”

The smooze vaguely burbled. It might have been affirmation. It might have been a sign of trepidation. It might have been just a vague burble.

Discord smirked and laid his hand out on the table with a flourish. “Voila! Eleven kings! Now I’ll admit I may not be as clear as crystal water on the exact rules of this -”

The smooze spat out a royal flush.

Discord stared, and slouched down into a sulk. One claw snapped, and the table abruptly creaked under the weight of the crown jewels, fertility statue, and his spare shirt. The smooze’s smile widened, and it oozed forward and up onto the table to appreciate its winnings.

“This time,” muttered Discord, as he drew the cards back and began reshuffling them, splicing in little additions of his own. Several more queens. An alchemical explosive primed to trigger in the presence of flushes. A very small and exceedingly confused jaguar. “This time, we shan’t just rig it from top-to-bottom, no, no, no. I’m rigging this side-to-side and inside-out if that’s what it takes -”

One of Discord’s horns began to tremble, and he paused mid-shuffle. He frowned, and his eyes flew out of their sockets to regard the horn. It pulsed with an internal rainbow light, trembling ever-more violently.

One of his eyes flew abruptly into it, knocking it into stillness. The rainbow glow persisted, and Discord’s eyes drifted back into their sockets with some trepidation.

“Do you ever get that same impression?” he said to the smooze, which had made headway on engulfing the fertility statue, starting with the least fortunate appendage. “That there’s something delightfully chaotic happening elsewhere, something that’s making the sense in the universe gnash its teeth with aggravation, and which really, really deserves some immediate attention and possible admiration? And all the fun ‘a’ words?”

The smooze’s mouth was a bit too full to form any sort of meaningful response, but the bubbles inside it broiled energetically.

“Thank goodness. I thought I might be the only one.” Discord shrugged and shuffled in another jaguar. “I’m sure it’ll last for another hand, though. We’ve got time. I think.”


The clock on one wall had frozen mid-chime. Twilight’s heartbeat was the only metronome going. She stared fixedly into her own eyes, which blinked as slowly and languidly and cruelly as a serpent’s. The splashes of green marring the violet coiled slowly inwards, and - even with all the other horrible things pressing for her attention - somehow the colour sent a thread of dread slithering through Twilight. Memories of dark magic came back to her.

A red glow from beneath caught her eye, and she looked down. The Alicorn Amulet hung around her older self’s neck, suspended by a thin silver chain, glowing as if an ember was held at its heart.

Some part of Twilight’s hindbrain suggested it would be a great time to start screaming and running in little circles. Another part suggested commencing to kick everything resembling a threat until all possible dangers had been reduced to a fine paste. Whatever part of her conscious self was still in the game advised both parts of the hindbrain to shut up and ordered her body to take a calming breath.

“You know, I’d been expecting a question or two by now,” purred her older self. “Cat got my tongue? Spare me from having to spell it out.”

“No. Yes. Hold on. Be quiet. Let me … let me think.” Twilight closed her eyes. “Let me think about this.”

Her older self folded one foreleg over the other and smirked. “I do appreciate a pony that thinks. Go on, then.”

Think. Think. Twilight’s hoof tapped out a beat against the wooden floor.

“Three main possibilities present themselves,” she began to say, her tone occupying the giddily calm space before frothing hysteria. “First of these is that I’m hallucinating all of this, and shall have to arrange an appointment with a professional while I possess the faculties to do so. But … since this isn’t that unusual compared to other things that have happened in the past year alone, I don’t think that’s likely. Unless I hallucinated all of those as well.”

“Dismiss the prospect,” said the older Twilight coolly. “Ponies who want to get anywhere in life shouldn’t leave things open to doubt. Least of all themselves.”

“Secondly, this is all some sort of fantastically elaborate prank in which Rainbow and Pinkie have somehow impersonated several different ponies claiming to be Time Police, have somehow cast mind-wiping spells between earlier attempts, and have somehow gone on to create the impression that time has frozen in cahoots with the others and the … weather and general environment, apparently, before producing some spectacular ventriloquism, rushing upstairs without my noticing, and pretending to be me. I … ah, Rainbow, Pinkie, if there was ever a time you wanted to pull off the costume’s head and shout ‘Boo!’, then ...”

“Complexity penalty,” said herself, sounding bored.

“Yes, I know, I’ve taken that into consideration. I’m not saying it’s the most likely of the three options. But considering the prank they pulled last Hearts and Hooves day, it’s not that unreasonable.”

“You know, we never do find out how exactly they got both Luna and Prince Blueblood’s signatures and personal seals,” said the older Twilight thoughtfully. “Or the flock of trained doves.”

“We don’t? Bummer. But, ah, that leads me onto the third prospect.” Twilight swallowed. “That you’re really me. From the future. Which I know is a thing that can happen ...”

You don't deserve this yet. But you will. Oh, you will.

“... and you’re absolutely, categorically, bad news in every conceivable way! Why are you wearing that amulet? Why do you have dark magic coming out your eyes? What do you do?”

Her older self paused for a moment. “Well, some of your assessment there is correct. I am indeed you from the future. The rest of your interpretation stinks, if you’ll pardon the colloquialism. I happen to be rather fond of what I achieve in the future. You’ll be as well.”

“Fond? Fond? How on earth do I end up being fond of ...” Twilight’s brain shifted gear as it mustered several memories. Horrible, recently-acquired memories. “... Turning Capra to glass, destroying the Crystal Empire, harvesting souls en-mass, feeding prisoners of war to timber wolves, and becoming an all-round horrible tyrant? Amongst other highlights?”

“Oh, these were hardly highlights,” said her older self, waving a hoof dismissively. “I did a lot many other things than those. Those are just the ones ponies whined about the most.” She paused. “Or will whine, rather. It’s in my past, but your future, and we need a quick way to express that. We should improve Equish grammar while we have the chance. I’ll make a note for the next time I’m in power.”

“We … what? No! That isn’t the point! We’re not talking about grammar.”

“Well, I’m talking about grammar. You’re being disappointingly unreasonable and getting hung up on us neutralising some perfectly valid enemy and insurrectionary targets, and enacting some perfectly efficient wartime measures. I ran the numbers. The soul-harvesting allowed me to acquire - well, that doesn’t matter. And it wasn’t as if I was feeding the prisoners to the timber wolves for fun. Well, not entirely for fun.”

Her older self seemed to interpret the deafening silence as an invitation and pressed on, her eyes brightening. “You see, we’ll find out that if we blast enough magic into a timber wolf’s chromosomes and turn them inside-out, we can refashion them into -”

“Why are you here?” shrieked Twilight. “Why do you exist?”

“I’m here because you’re being very disruptive,” said the older Twilight, now looking annoyed. “Your behaviour - not what merely happens to you and which my Time Police can clean up, but you yourself - threatens to throw the Flow of time into disarray and Fray our future out of existence.”

“The future you’re from? That you’re responsible for?” Twilight looked herself up and down. “Why shouldn’t I destroy that?”

“Because you’ll destroy every great thing you’ll ever achieve, as well as me, you naive, blinkered little ...” Her older self stopped and took a calming breath. “Perhaps I’m being unreasonable. We’ve not been through the Great War yet. You’ve not seen what it really means to be on a losing side. You’ve not had to step up and take responsibility. Not yet.”

“The Great War?”

“Ah. An epic pony war from the future. A war between Equestria and our allies, and some ragtag alliance of our enemies. A war we’ll have no business losing.” Sparks all but flew from the older Twilight’s teeth as she bit down on the last word. “Eventually … eventually, at the cusp of it all, we’ll step up. We’ll take responsibility and turn the tide.”

She supported the Alicorn Amulet in one forehoof and looked down towards it, her gaze somewhere remote. It glistened and pulsed with a sickly red light. “Responsibility, as it happens, is a marvellous habit to keep up.”

“I’m smarter than this,” said Twilight in a small voice. “You saw what that thing did to Trixie. How could you think picking it up would be anything like a good idea?”

“Oh, please. Generalise from Trixie? Why not generalise about calculus from a worm’s ability to solve problems while you’re at it? We are an alicorn. What other being could the amulet have been made for? My power is unrivalled, and the dead weight it removed from my decision-making process made everything so much … clearer. Qualms, it turned out, were a dreadful fetter.” Her older self paused, and her expression misted over. “And besides that … things were desperate. I can’t overstate that. Somepony had to find an edge.”

Twilight swallowed and thought. The implications had come to her almost immediately; phrasing them in a way that would convince was more of a problem. “Then tell me about the war,” she said. “Don’t you see? If you tell me about it all now, I can go to Celestia and the other princesses, and … and we can fix it all, don’t you see? We can arrange things so that the war never happens, or becomes a lot less desperate. I’ll never have to pick up the amulet, and the future will be fixed.”

Her older self studied her, the violet-and-green eyes as cold as the depths of Tartarus. Twilight pressed on. “Don’t you see? That’s the solution. If I can change the future right now, things won’t have to get so grim. Rainbow Dash just said that the future isn’t written. This proves that. If we -”

“You’ve not been listening,” said the older Twilight, her voice a cold thread of steel. “Why should I undo the war? The war made me. Me, and all that I made in turn. And despite the savage ingratitude I’ve been met with at every turn, I’ve made everything so much better. So much more efficient.”

Twilight’s next line froze in her throat as her older self thoughtfully continued. “I shan’t lie; the prospect of going back and setting things in motion earlier has occurred. To keep the amulet rather than give it to Zecora for safekeeping. But … the changes that would produce would likely be great enough to Fray myself away. And all things considered, I suppose I’m quite willing to live with some inefficiency so long as I actually live.”

Her eyes narrowed, and she glared down at Twilight. “The future is written. Written by me. And I’ll be damned to Tartarus before I let anypony else interfere. Least of all myself.”

“There’s got to be a better path. Anything other than becoming a tyrant,” whispered Twilight.

“Oh, spare me. Us. Yourself. Whoever,” said her older self, disgust and disappointment clear on her expression. “You sound just like all the ponies bleating after I returned in glory and subjugated the other princesses into thralldom. I didn’t tyrannise Equestria, I optimised it. And if you want to make an omelette, sometime you’ve got to break a few eggs and ruthlessly terrorise the yolks into submission. Honestly, if the common rabble hadn’t had the gall to get all insurrectiony on me and become completely unmanageable, I’d be sitting pretty on a very well-run -”

Twilight gathered breath.

Gathered focus.

There seemed to be only one way this could end, and if she could steal that extra mile on herself, subdue her and find a way to stop the time-freeze, get Spike to alert Princess Celestia … then this might all end neatly and quickly after all.

Violet light slashed out from her horn, shearing through the silver links holding the Alicorn Amulet before her older self could so much as blink. It bounced off the floor with a metallic clink and fell still.

Twilight looked up, a warm wave of triumph flaring through her, to meet the cold gaze of her older self. Who didn’t look in the slightest bit amused. Or horrified by a sudden attack of conscience. Or in any way less evil.

“Ah...” started Twilight, and got no further. Violet and green erupted before her, filled her vision, knocked away her senses, and the next impressions to vaguely hit her were flying wall crash flying cold air flying flying ground.

For a long moment, she sprawled and wheezed, trying to pick herself up from a cold surface that slowly identified itself as the snow-covered ground outside. Her blurry vision resolved itself, and vague points of light resolved themselves into snowflakes hanging still under the night sky. Light spilled out over them from her library’s windows and from one Twilight-shaped hole in its side. Fragments of wood hung suspended in the air around it, and green-and-violet flames wreathed around them. In that gap, her older self stood, cold and poised and imperious.

“Credit where it’s due, you tried to attack what you saw as a source of power than engage me directly,” said her older self. Magic glimmered up her horn, and the amulet rose up to secure itself around her neck once more. “But the amulet ceased being my touchstone a long time ago. Dark magic is a wonderful thing to make a study of. It imparts its own powers. Lifts additional fetters.”

Twilight coughed and, by painful increments, rose to her hooves once again. She glared up at her older self and spread her wings.

“Now, regrettably, you’re obviously still a bit too stupid to accept my own superiority and correctness,” said the older Twilight. She sighed. “And admittedly, I may have miscalculated by thinking you could be argued into reasonableness. The only real question here is whether you want to submit now. It wouldn’t be too painful. Or you could try to overcome me. Emphasis on try.”

Twilight took off the ground with one mighty beat of her wings, closing her eyes briefly as she did so and summoning forth a gleaming shield to guard her advance. She thought as fast as equinely possible. Protect herself, gain altitude, hammer her older self with every rote blast she knew. It was a plan of sorts.

The instant after she threw her shield up, green and violet light forked out through the air once again. It violently tore through her shield like tissue paper, and Twilight desperately swerved to avoid it as it ripped past mere inches from her head. She flapped on through the air. Her gaze flitted from side to side, desperately blinking away the fierce aftereffect as she sought for her older self. The second later, something smashed into her mid-air with a locomotive’s force, and her world turned to spinning chaos as she was slammed back into the ground.

She blinked away the constellation of light that wheeled across her vision, whimpered as her abused nerve endings registered their disapproval, and found herself staring point-blank into the fierce gaze of her older self, towering above her and pinning her to the ground.

“Yield,” growled her older self.

“N - not fair,” stammered Twilight woozily (stars above, it hurt to speak) as she caught sight of a possible distraction at her older self’s back. Time, time, even a few seconds would do. “Al - already participated in three pitched fights today. Not at my best.”

“My heart bleeds. Yield!”

Time enough. Twilight’s horn blazed with a last, desperate, painful burst of magic, and she tore down her salvation. Her older self turned around, just in time to meet the library’s descending bee hive face-first. Wasting no time, Twilight rolled right around onto her belly and scrabbled at the ground in a crawl. Gain space, breath, take flight again -

A hoof crashed down onto the small of Twilight’s back and pinned her where she lay, forcing all the air remaining in her lungs free with one shocked wheeze. Something bounced on the ground next to her head, and she turned to see the bee hive rolling past. Inside a broken-open gap, she saw the insects, completely still mid-motion.

“A tip between selves,” growled her older self. “That works better when time isn’t stopped.” Twilight tried to respond, to gather magic once more, and was interrupted by a hoof smacking into the back of her horn, disrupting the flow of energy. “I see I’m just going to have to brute-force this problem towards a solution. Why must the world always insist on being difficult?”

“K - kill me and the Time Police will come for you as well!” managed Twilight. “They … they can somehow detect when things change in the past, they’ll -”

“Hah! I’m hardly going to kill myself, you idiot. I have something different and rather ingenious in mind. And the Time Police are hardly going to help you. Were you not listening earlier? Who do you think commands them?”

“Y - what?”

“When the ponies of Equestria became completely insubordinate and unmanageable, I slipped away from public life. Left them to stew in their own mess … though, alas, they ended up breaking into the Royal Palace and spreading the texts on chronomancy far and wide. They commendably formed the Time Police themselves in short order. But I thought giving a little direction to them under an alias would be as decent a way to while away the years until my return. Frankly, they need all the help they can get. And I’m hardly going to leave my past at somepony else’s mercy.”

Twilight seethed even as panic welled up inside her. “So what now? Are you just going to memory-wipe me?”

“No. Though I shall have to repair the library. And the hive for that matter. You’ve foiled my Police on the memory-wiping measure and I have enough respect for myself, even at this stage, to imagine we’ll wriggle free of it once again in some manner. No, I’ve devised something better. Something that should eventually keep you pliant at the subconscious level before memory-wiping’s conducted. And if it’s the correct thing to do, I imagine I’ll get back to the future and find nary a hint of Fray. Everything will be solved.”

“You - no!” Twilight struggled, and received another kick to the horn for her trouble. “Ow! Stop that! If you change my behaviour or twist my mind … then, then you’re just twisting yourself back then, don’t you see? How’s that not a paradox?”

“Twilight, Twilight, Twilight,” purred her older self, leaning down close to her ear. Twilight all but felt the buzz of magic around her older self’s horn crisp her mane. “Time, regrettably for you, can be so very pliant about these things. And even if the Fray levels indicate a developing paradox … I’ll have all the time in the world to come up with something cleverer. Now obey me!”

Twilight opened her mouth to protest. There had to be more sense to it all than that, there had to be. But the horn pressed into the back of her head, and her world turned white.


The white faded. Twilight coughed as her senses dragged themselves back into focus.

“Wha … what the he … uh,” she started, and then stopped.

She wasn’t in the library, or even the outdoors for that matter. The room she found herself in was dingy and ovoidal, lit only by two great murky and circular panes at one side. A chair rested in the middle of the room, next to an unlit projector screen.

“What?” she managed.

As if from a great distance, she heard Spike’s voice, coming from somewhere outside the room. “- that. Bah. One of these days, I’ll just rush off and do my own exciting stuff. With blackjack! And hookahs! Though I don’t actually smoke, so I might not bother with the latter. Why’s everypony so keen on adding some dumb waterpipes to anything, anyway?”

Spike?, Twilight blearily thought, and looked around for a door. Finding none, she rushed over to one of the windows. Past something that looked like a great lavender muzzle, she saw her dragon assistant, pen and paper in his claws.

Her own voice then suddenly boomed across her bewildered line of thought, similarly coming from a great distance and somehow jerking in time with the movements of the muzzle and the disorientating shifting of the window’s field of vision. “That’s a ‘why’ to be answered when you’re older, Spike. Actually, I’ve had second thoughts about the letter.”

If she didn’t know better, the exterior past the window looked uncannily like the library. And the ponies outside looked uncannily like -

“No, seriously, what?” shrieked Twilight. She slammed one hoof against the window, the surface of which turned out to be harder than crystal. She tried to draw upon magic, and found it simply non-existent, unresponsive to her efforts.

There was a sudden click behind her, and she turned to see the projector come alive. A voice - her own voice! - piped into the dingy room, seemingly coming from all sides. “Good day! Welcome to your personalised Voice of Reason Charm, version six-point-naught! If you’re hearing this, then you must be -” the tone shifted, “Twilight Sparkle. And I’m trying to convince you to -” the tone shifted again, “pursue your glorious future without fruitless disruption. Once deemed suitably reasoned down to the subconscious level, you shall be memory-wiped and given command of your own physical faculties once more. Do you understand the purpose and desired outcome as stated?”

Twilight couldn’t muster a ‘What?’ There had been enough what-ing for one day. For one lifetime. She slumped slowly to her haunches. “It was a nice day, at the start,” she whispered. “It was such a nice day.”

“Reason one for pursuing your glorious future!” her own voice announced, as the world outside the windows - her own eyes - shifted once more. “We shall admirably solve all possible food shortages to ever afflict Equestria and the world. Enacting the Soylent project means that we will simply feed half of the hungry to the other hungry. Reason two -”


“Alright, that’s it,” said Discord, as his horn fluttered in little circles around his eye, flashing crimson and hallooing enthusiastically. “Something’s definitely happening that warrants my attention. Don’t you think so, smooze?”

The smooze flolloped over a pile of its winnings, absently digesting a monde. It bubbled at Discord.

“Quite right. And what about you … Parcel Post, wasn’t it?”

“I have a shift to return to, Mr Discord!” wailed the postpony, tucked under Discord’s arm. He paused to consider. “And also a family!”

“Pfft. Details. But I suppose I should see what’s going on.” Discord rose from his armchair and casually tossed Parcel Post at the smooze. The postpony gloopily settled inside it and struggled forlornly. The smooze’s head nuzzled his cheek and sported a smile. “Hold the fort, you pair. Try not to break anything. Or fix anything. And if the Outsiders try to get in again, just bang some pots and pans until they’re scared off.”

Disocrd strode over to where his coat and hat hung on one wall, and smoothly drew out a stand from a pocket. Sweeping the stand over his shoulders, he pushed open the door and stared out into the maw of madness. The smooze gurgled quizzically after him.

“Probably not too long,” Discord replied as he stepped out. “I’ll see it all sorted in good time.”