• Published 13th Dec 2014
  • 881 Views, 16 Comments

Cross World Explorers - Ximer



When a new villain rises will two heroes be enough to foil his evil plans?

  • ...
1
 16
 881

Chapter 2

Daring Do and Isabella sat in silence, staring at each other. The human still appeared stunned that the explorer she had dismissed as fiction was real. Ever one to question things however, she reasoned that it was probably someon-pony pretending to be Daring Do.

"One strawberry muffin with a chocolate chip on top!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed happily before Isabella could try to prove, or disprove, if this was in fact the mare on the cover of the book. The pink pony disappeared before Isabella could even say thank you leaving the two alone once more.

"I have to admit, you almost had me there." Isabella said with a chuckle. She decided to let her skepticism take the reins for now and waited to see if she could trip the mare up.

"Had you? Oh right, I suppose it is odd seeing me out in public like this, in all honesty it serves to my benefit really. Most ponies think I'm some sort of dressed up die hard fan, with a few exceptions." Daring Do said letting her friendly smile slip into a smug expression.

"Why would a celebrity such as yourself venture out into the public like this?" Isabella asked taking her body language as a sign that the mare in question was willing to play her game.

"I've never really been one to trust others, I've been trying to rid myself of what most consider an undesirable trait. The problem is almost everypony still thinks Daring Do is just a fictional character. I wouldn't consider myself a celebrity either." Daring Do replied.

"Pretty good gig you have going if secrecy is your goal. Still doesn't explain what an archeologist is doing here in Ponyville. Shouldn't you have funds or something? A team backing you up with dig permits?" Isabella asked.

"I work alone for the most part, there's always certain risk involved in my line of work that I wouldn't want anypony else to run into." Daring Do replied with a shrug. The fact that a pony could shrug at all fascinated Isabella.

"This one time I crossed paths with a nasty little cobra. Two of my guys jumped back scared to death, thing is they never really attack people unprovoked and just give off warnings. I had to stop one of my idiot colleagues from pulling a gun on the snake." Isabella said rolling her eyes as she recalled the incident.

"Sounds a bit tame, nopony's ever tried to stop your expeditions?" Daring Do asked chuckling at the outcome of her story.

"I've had my fair share of conflicts over the years, nothing outrageous like in these stories though. I'm afraid most of the things in this world are nothing but myth and part of what I uncovered in my world." Isabella replied taking a bite of her muffin for the first time since their conversation started.

"You might find this of interest then, from one archeologist to another." Daring Do said opening the book to the page she had been reading at the library. The page in question contained the picture of the Storm Serpent Scepter.

"The power to control the whether? That sounds like it could be abused in the wrong hands...hooves rather. Sorry still trying to get used to using the same lingo you guys do." Isabella said correcting herself.

"It's fine, though I have to admit I've never seen anything like you before. I've ran into some strange characters on my travels, but you're the first umm..." Daring Do said tapping a hoof against her chin in thought.

"Human, and I'm one of two here actually." Isabella said before finishing off her muffin. She found that the muffins in this world tasted slightly sweeter than the ones from Earth which was what made her a regular customer at Sugarcube Corner.

"Well it's been fun chatting, but I believe my train is due to leave soon." Daring Do said looking up at the clock on the wall. Slipping the book into her saddle bag and placing her hat on her head the pegasus hopped out of her seat.

"I was heading that way to try and find my brother now that I'm finished here. His friends work at the station so I thought I'd go there first, care for a bit of company?" Isabella asked standing from her seat before pushing it in.

"Why not?" Daring Do replied before leaving the pastry shop with Isabella.

---

The train station was void of postal workers much to Isabella's disappointment. She had hoped she could find Daniel here due to his predictability, but it seemed this was the one day he chose to detour from his normal routine.

Daring Do was scanning the station as well, but for a completely different reason. She was vulnerable right now, in transit between destinations. Of course she could fly, but even a pegasus has limits and she couldn't rely on her wings to get her to her destination in time. The train ride to Las Pegasus was only half the journey.

The mare spotted something out of place, or somepony to be more specific. A diamond dog leaning against the side of the ticket booth. He was clearly watching the two of them which made Daring instantly regret ever agreeing to let Isabella walk with her to the station.

"Well I'm afraid this is where we part ways, perhaps we can see each other again sometime." Daring Do said keeping her voice level as she approached the train car door. Leaving the side of her traveling companion Daring Do felt certain she was going to leave a town without being involved in a confrontation of some kind for once.

"It's a shame you plan on leaving so soon Daring Do, especially when you have something that belongs to us." said a familiar voice. An earth pony stepped out from the shadows to block the door, a bruise marking his eye as a testament to his last encounter with the pegasus.

"Wait...you mean she's really Daring Do?" Isabella asked in disbelief. She had remained skeptical throughout their time together, but as four more menacing looking ponies appeared out of several concealed locations it became clear the mare hadn't been blowing smoke.

"Indeed she is, and I'm afraid those in association with Miss Do here are our enemy as well...I'm terribly sorry you were drug into this." the earth pony said before swiftly jerking his head to the side. Watching for the cue the other ponies attacked, two pegasi and two unicorns.

Daring Do scanned the area for anything that might aid in her escape. She cringed at the telltale sound of a unicorn's magic aura coming to life. The noise was quickly silenced and replaced by two yelps which made the mare turn her head out of curiosity.

The unicorns' heads were capped by snow, courtesy of Isabella who had started to rush towards them. She was not as hesitant when it came to confrontations as her brother was. The two unicorns learned this upon being tossed like rag dolls, due to their size and light weight, against the side of the train.

The two pegasi henchponies took a few steps backwards as they observed how easily their comrades had been disposed of. Their state of shock was exactly what Daring Do needed. The mare flew towards one of the pegasi and slammed into his chest with her head, knocking the wind out of him.

His partner was quick to react, grabbing Daring Do by her left hind leg in order to pull her off him. It was also an effort to search Daring Do's saddle bag for the book they required. Daring Do delivered a swift kick to his jaw with her remaining free hind leg which knocked the other pegasi out cold, unfortunately it also sent the book sliding across the station's wooden platform.

"Drake, anytime you feel like helping would be great." the earth pony said stepping out of the train car. Isabella was about to try her hand at the earth pony until she felt something wrap around her arm. She looked over her shoulder to see the hulking figure of a dog like creature that tossed her in the opposite direction.

"Earth pony bossy...Falsemane is employer, I help when necessary." the diamond dog said as he approached the book. A sudden stinging sensation on the back of his head made him stop and rub the spot where Isabella had managed to kick him. This particular diamond dog was much larger than his average cave dwelling brethren and enabled him to shrug the blow off easily.

Daring Do had just finished off the other pegasus when she felt a pair of forelegs wrap tightly around her neck. The mare quickly started to tug at the limbs that were now cutting off her oxygen supply before it was too late.

"I'm afraid this is the end of the line Daring Do. I wonder who will continue your riveting book series once you're gone?" the earth pony asked as he easily kept his forelegs locked around Daring Do's neck with his strength.

Isabella noticed Daring Do's predicament and quickly side stepped Drake in an attempt to get to her in time. Even though she had just met this pony, she knew Daring Do was worth far more than some old book and abandoned her fight over it with the diamond dog.

Isabella quickly punched the earth pony in his barrel causing him to release Daring Do. Far from satisfied that the earth pony was still standing, she landed another punch to the back of his skull, knocking the poor stallion out cold.

"You okay?" Isabella asked looking down at Daring Do as she got to her hooves, taking in deep breaths of air. Her question went unanswered as they were both tossed towards the train, falling backwards into the train car as the whistle blew signaling its departure soon.

Daring Do looked up to see Drake grabbing the book and flew towards the diamond dog in an attempt to recover it. Drake's grip was much stronger than she had anticipated and he held fast, managing to grab on end of the book while Daring Do held the other with her teeth.

Isabella joined the tug of war just as the second train whistle sounded and the girl's combined effort managed to drag Drake all the way to the train car door. The diamond dog dug his claws into the wood of the station platform and gripped the other end of the book with his teeth as well to ensure he could no longer be pulled by their combined strength.

The third whistle sounded and the train lurched forward. As the train slowly moved forward the sound of something ripping and tearing could just barely be heard above the train's movement.

Finally the old book could take no more punishment from either side and split in two causing Daring Do and Isabella to tumble backwards into a seat with the back half of the book. Drake was livid as the pair escaped with the other half of the book his employer needed.

"Daniel is going to kill me." Isabella said as the train pulled out of the station, leaving Ponyville behind. While she hadn't exactly been opposed to getting out of Ponyville, she had wanted it to be on her terms.

"I'm sure this Daniel pony will get over it, just get on the train ride back to Ponyville and you're good." Daring Do said sliding the torn book into her saddle bag. The mare sighed as she tried to recall everything she could about the other pages she now found herself without.

"That dog thing mentioned something about a Falsemane, is he from one of your stories too?" Isabella asked rubbing her arm where she had landed on it. She was certain incapacitating ponies wasn't going to do her any favors, but she wasn't going to let a bunch of colorful miniature horses be her undoing either.

"From what little I've heard he's suspected to have been behind several political crimes and scandals. It makes me wonder why he would be after an ancient artifact like this?" Daring Do asked as the train picked up speed.

"Well I guess we're going to have to find out then, or do whatever it is you do under these circumstances." Isabella said reclining in her seat. She closed her eyes to try and enjoy the train ride to where ever fate decided to take her.

"We? I'm sorry but like I said I work alone, besides I don't want you getting involved in something like this." Daring Do said taking off her hat and placing it beside her. She would have preferred to be racing against somepony more predictable, her nemesis Ahuizotl would have been a blessing in disguise. This Falsemane she knew next to nothing about save for a few rumors.

"Look you heard the spazy earth pony I'm on their list just like you now, besides we make a pretty good team. If I went back now I think they'd just try to find me again to find out where you went." Isabella said turning to face Daring Do.

The two stared each other down, seconds passing by in relative silence as one waited for the other to speak first. It was clear that egos were now coming between them on the matter. While both had different views their goal was the same.

"Fine...I suppose I owe you for saving my flank back there anyways." Daring Do said taking off her saddle bags. The mare hadn't worked with anypony else since the incident involving a rather over enthusiastic fan of hers, but the human had a point. Falsemane might return for her and inflict harm upon her for information, that was an outcome Daring Do wouldn't be able to forgive herself if she was unable to prevent it.

"Don't worry I'll be on my best behavior, scouts honor." Isabella said smiling while giving Daring Do a small salute with two fingers against her forehead. While she was never a scout, Isabella did intend to try and behave herself, especially when she was still unfamiliar with some of the customs of this world.

"I never asked you your name..." Daring Do said. She had assumed once she was on the train that would be the end of their interaction, but now that they would be traveling together she would have to call her something other than human.

"Isabella, but a few ponies just call me Izzy for short. Sorry I didn't believe you earlier, it's nice to meet the real Daring Do." Isabella said.

Author's Note:

And they're off on their grand adventure. Sorry for anyone reading this who expected/wanted Ahuizotl as the villain. I think he's been used to death and needs a break after getting stomped in so many other stories. Anyways comments welcome, or not. I do take you thoughts to heart.