• Published 6th Dec 2014
  • 2,980 Views, 174 Comments

A Buggy Game - Bucking Nonsense



A gamer and a changeling are forced to work together, in order to navigate a dungeon in search of the ultimate prize...

  • ...
14
 174
 2,980

Chapter Five: Two Plus Two Equals...?

You want me to keep going a little longer? Alright.

My curiosity regarding the... complexity of this AI had reached its peak, by this point. Too many things were coming together in all the wrong ways. The penny we've been waiting to drop? It was waiting for one more tiny push. The funny thing is, though, that the push would be such a simple statement, one that anyone in her position might have made.

We're not quite there, just yet. But almost.

Moving on.

As we went down the stairs to the next floor, I asked, "If you could have any superpower in the world, what would it be?" A good question, I thought, to see just how advanced this game's AI really was. After all, while a computer might have all sorts of facts about the past of her world and whatnot, I figured that the real test would be whether she'd have an opinion about something almost completely random.

Elizabeth, surprisingly, giggled at that question, and said, "You obviously don't know much about changelings."

"What I know could probably fit inside a thimble," I admitted, "and still have room to spare." After a moment's thought, I added, "Where I'm from, 'changeling' is a word used for when a child is stolen, and replaced by a magical creature."

"Weird," she said, then after a moment, she continued, "Well, regarding your original question, changelings have a number of what other creatures would consider 'super powers': We can fly, shoot streams of sticky goo from our mouths, walk on walls, and we have a hard exoskeleton." She punctuated that last one with a solid thump to her chest. "Plus, commoners can burn love energy to boost out physical abilities, and aristocrats can use love energy to fuel magic spells."

"An impressive suite of abilities," I said, impressed. "Anything you'd want to add, though?"

"Not add," Liz said, a little sadly, "but maybe trade."

Now incredibly curious, I asked, "Trade?"

"I'd trade being a changeling for being an earth pony any day of the week."

Now incredibly confused, I asked, "An earth pony?" Let's be honest: Unless you've been to Equestria, there's no way you would know what that would be.

Clearing her throat as we reached the door to the next floor, she said, "An earth pony, yes. I mean, it may not seem as fantastic as a unicorn's ability to cast spells, or a pegasus' ability to fly or control the weather, but I honestly think that being able to plant seeds and make them grow, being able to make flowers bloom... to be able make your own food come out of the ground, that is a far better power than even all of the abilities of a changeling, a unicorn, and a pegasus combined."

She runs on love energy, I reminded myself, and she is almost out: She's on the verge of starving to death. Of course being able to make her own food would seem like heaven. But I didn't think she realized just how difficult that kind of work can be. My grandfather, on my father's side, was a farmer, before a random event and a few intelligent choices changed his life, and that of his son, forever. Everything I had heard from my father and grandfather about life before that lucky day had made it clear that farming was a lot of work, from sunrise to sunset every day, and it didn't always pay off: There were so many things that could go wrong with any crop that it boggled the mind that the human race hadn't starved centuries ago. Oddly enough, rather than telling her that, I was tempted instead to tell her that she didn't need to be some sort of 'Rock Horse' to make things grow: All she really needed was a seed, a cup of dirt, some water, a sunny place, and some patience. Of course, maybe the rules were different there. Maybe only 'Rock Horses' could make plants grow where she was from...

I was disturbed by my contemplation as she asked, "And you? Any powers you'd want?"

"Flight," I answered immediately, looking down at my left foot. Yeah. That one.

As she began looking at the room we had just entered, she noted, "Quick answer. I take it that you've given that one some thought?"

"Yes," I stated simply, as I studied the room myself. Taking in the environment, I was not all that surprised by what I saw: The symbol for this floor was a boot, after all. Lit like the last one was, the flooring of the room was almost all gray tiles, save for a line of glowing white tiles that cut through the middle of the room, making a path from the entrance to the exit. Looking over at the door, I noted that, rather than a single bar, three separate bars locked the exit. Shining a light on the door, I said, "This room looks to be a simple speed lock: When you step on each of the glowing tiles, it will probably change color temporarily, and some sort of timer will start. You'll have to light up all the tiles before the timer runs out to open the lock. Since there's three locks on the door, you'll have to do it three times in total." After a moment, I added, "The position of the white tiles will probably change each time you clear the course, so wait a few seconds for things to change afterwards."

Studying the room, Liz nodded and said, "Seems pretty straightforward." As she got into a sort of sprinter's stance, wiggling her backside back and forth (Yes, she even does that now when she's getting ready to dash off. No, you can't see it! Get your own waifu! She's mine! Ah, sorry, I... um... Moving on!) as she began preparing to run, she mentioned, "You seem to have a lot of experience with this sort of stuff."

"Some of this 'stuff'," I admitted, "is common in Dungeons and Dragons games, as well as a number of other games I've played. It's to the point where they're beginning to border on cliche."

"Well, while that's all well and good," Elizabeth said with a smile, "just don't start thinking that this is all a game." With that, she took off, zipping across the field with fairly surprising speed. I had forgotten that, while a human's top speed might be over twenty miles an hour, if they were in exceptional shape and a professional runner, a horse can go anywhere between thirty to fifty miles per hour, more than double that speed. As she cleared the first course effortlessly, she said, "This isn't 'Let's Pretend': If I end up getting hurt down here, it's for real."

Bam.

That was the moment. The penny dropped. The game itself had just said that this wasn't a game. The simplest thing she could have said ended up being the one thing that had the most profound effect on me. Clearing my throat, I said, "Elizabeth, I need to step away for a little bit. The... orb will still be here, but I won't be watching over you while I take care of something. I won't be going very far, and I should only be gone a few minutes."

Something must have shown in my tone, because, as tiles began flipping over, revealing the course to now be a circle around the room, Elizabeth asked, "Is something wrong?"

"Maybe," I admitted, struggling to control my voice as best I could. "I'm not sure. I... I need a little bit of time to clear my head. I won't be too long. Five minutes, maybe?"

"Alright," Liz said, as she took up another sprinter's stance and wiggled her rear again. "Hurry back, though: I'd... prefer not to be alone too long, if that's okay. I've had my fill of solitude over the last few weeks."

With a weak chuckle, I said, "Perfectly understandable. I'll be back directly."

I took off my headset, picked up my crutch, and walked out of the room, and went to pick up my cell phone, which I had charging in my bedroom. I selected a number I had on speed dial, and waited for the person I called to pick up.

Within two rings, 'Smith' picked up. He promptly said, in a friendly tone, "Hey, Hiro! How are you doing?" Caller ID is a wonderful thing, isn't it? After the conversation that he and I had about my... role in his previous case, he'd left me his phone number, and asked me to call him up the moment that I saw anything else magical happening. He also recommended that I call him once a week, so we could chew the fat for a bit. I think he knew what I was going to be going through, and that it might help if I had someone to talk to who understood. That, and we do tend to get along pretty well. Like I said, he's a great guy, all things considered.

"Not too good," I admitted, gulping, struggling to fend off the attack that I feared may be coming. "I think that it might be happening again," I said without preamble.

His tone immediately professional, he asked, "What makes you think that?"

I answered his question by asking, "How much do you know about changelings?"

"Which kind?"

"The kind," I said, not all that surprised that there might be more than one, "that go on four legs and look like someone mixed a bug and a pony together."

There was a moment of silence, followed by, "I, personally, don't know much, but I have a few experts on the subject that I can tap. Is this involving video games again? I thought that you decided not to get a new game console yet."

"My pc works just fine, and my LoL crew and I are still together, and still planning on going to a tourney in a few weeks" I answered, then added, "I received an 'alpha' for a game today that I think... might be something more. I did some research into it before I started it up, but I'm starting to wonder if the information I read had all been part of an elaborate setup. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think it might be something similar to last time." Giving a look towards my computer room, I added, "Similar, but different. Radically different. It... might take too long to explain over the phone. Can you come over?"

Smith was quiet for a moment again, then said, "I'm in the area, and two of our changeling experts happen to be in the same neighborhood, too. Give me a little time to get them together and snag one of our techs. Say... twenty, thirty minutes?"

With a chuckle, I asked, "Is the pizza free if it takes you longer?"

With a loud laugh, the agent said, "No, but if you feel like ordering a couple of pies, I'll split the total with you. I'll take mine with pepperoni and mushrooms. I'll see you shortly."

"Thanks," I said, and then, after he disconnected, I breathed out a long sigh. Strange as it may sound, speaking with the secret agent who specializes in the supernatural actually served to restore my sanity a little bit. Weird, right? It reminded me that, yes, in fact, this stuff really does happen to people, asides from myself. Besides, this was, like I said, similar but different from last time. I wasn't playing the role of 'Lord Death Of Murder Mountain', so in a way, that helped in keeping me from freaking out like I should have been.

Limping back to my computer room, I leaned my crutch up against the wall, then I picked up my cane for when Smith and his team arrived. Yeah, call it vanity, but while I'm alright with using a crutch to get around the house, if I have company, I prefer to use a cane. It makes me look a little more... dignified, don't you think? And you have to admit, I have a pretty sweet collection.

As I sat back down at my computer and put my headset on, I noticed that the door to the next chamber was unlocked and open, and Liz was sitting down, studying 'me' with an odd expression. I asked her, "What's wrong?"

She immediately asked, "Who were you talking to?" There wasn't an accusing tone, just a... worried one, I guess.

Geez. I hadn't realized that my headset was that sensitive. Maybe I was just that loud? Hard to say. Clearing my throat, I decided that it might be a good idea to be perfectly honest...
-------------------------------------------

I'll take over for a little bit, babe.

It took Hiro a few minutes to explain what was going on. He was unnecessarily apologetic about things, honestly. Let's be clear here: He did nothing to intentionally mislead me, and he really had no reason to think that what was happening was anything other than how it was originally presented to him. In fact, if anything, I was grateful: What we were doing now was preferable to sitting in an abandoned ruin with nothing to do but slowly go insane and contemplate whether or not I should feed myself to hungry monsters.

If I ever meet whoever was responsible for all of this, I will give him/her/them the biggest hug I have ever given anyone, ever.

Anyways, when he finished, about five minutes later, I summarized, stating, "So, you've spent the last hour thinking that you were playing a game while speaking with an incredibly well-crafted homunculus?"

Clearing his throat, the orb bobbed up and down and said, "Basically, yes."

Shrugging, I said, "Fair enough." Giving Hiro a warm smile, I added, "So, ready to move to the next floor?"

After a moment, he said, in a tone of disbelief, "You... still want to keep going?"

Giggling, I said, "This really hasn't changed anything important: We're still here, in this 'dungeon', as you've called it. At the bottom, there's supposed to be a wishing star, and that star is my only way of getting out of here alive. Someone, or something, led you to me, and while I'd normally be suspicious about their reasons for doing so, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth just yet." With a sad little chuckle, I added, "And it isn't like I have anything better planned for the next five days. So, yeah, let's get going."

I have always prided myself on keeping a level head and a rational mindset. I do get angry about things, and there are individuals who I hate with a passion. However, being angry at Hiro, just because, up until this moment, he'd thought that he'd been playing a game, rather than guiding a flesh and blood individual, would be rather foolish. I admit, I was a little bit disappointed that, when he'd commented on my 'dressing sexy for him', he thought that he was talking to a game character, rather than a girl who was flesh and blood. However, he'd not said anything to retract that previous statement since then, so...

Hey, a compliment is a compliment, right?

Hiro's orb bobbed again, and he said, "Alright. But... after the next floor is cleared, we need to stop and take a break, until a visitor I'm expecting arrives. Besides, I'm... worried about the fifth floor. If that skull symbol means what I think it does, then we'll be facing a boss fight there."

Puzzled by the unusual term, I asked, "What do you mean when you say 'Boss Fight'?"

"In games," Hiro said, with an audible gulp, "a boss fight will show up occasionally: In combat based games, it's a monster significantly more powerful than the other ones that populate the area, and in puzzle games like... like this one was presented to me as, it's just a creature who uses the mechanics of the area as a means of attacking you, or may only be defeated by using those mechanics against him. Boss fights usually mark a milestone in the player's progress. Given the nature of the... 'game' so far, it will likely be a Puzzle Battle. Sliding blocks, fast footwork, and whatever is on the next floor will play a pivotal role in overcoming the trial. And... since it will be a boss battle, there will be an opponent there who might potentially be able to hurt or kill you. It will likely be a battle of wits... to the death."

Now that was... worrying. Gulping, I said, "Alright. As long as it isn't hoof to hoof combat, it shouldn't be completely hopeless."

"I'll be there with you, every step of the way," Hiro said, his tone surprisingly hopeful. "Between the two of us, we should be more than a match for whatever is waiting for us." With a small chuckle, he added, "And I have company coming shortly who should be able to help us out. If we put all of our heads together, we should be able to do this without any serious problems. Besides, in my experience, the first boss is always the easiest."

I certainly hope so, I thought to myself, nervously. Like I said, I wasn't brave, back then... and if I had known what was waiting for us on floor five, I would have scared out of my wits...

Easiest, right. 'Easy' can be such a relative term...