• Published 25th Nov 2014
  • 1,794 Views, 41 Comments

Shattered Glass - Eric Michael Kline



A tale of two star crossed lovers' redemption, and the return of an old enemy. Inspired by the IDW "Reflections" comic-arc.

  • ...
10
 41
 1,794

All I Ever Wanted

All I Ever Wanted

=Equestria Prime (some years prior)=

In the dark of the night, a full moon shone down on the forest as a lone owl glided through the treetops on noiseless wings. In the shadows of the underbrush, crickets played their song and fell silent as a hungry Timberwolf sniffed the litter in search of potential prey. Behind him, a twig crunched beneath a hoof and the Timberwolf turned to snarl at the old Unicorn who emerged from behind a tree.

"Go on now," he ordered. "I've no time to play tonight." The Timberwolf whined as he flattened his ears but ultimately turned and vanished into the scrub without protest. Continuing on his way, the Old Unicorn's magic shoved a low hanging branch aside and at last saw his destination. Before him was a clearing, the center of which was dominated by a giant oak known as the Grandfather of the Woods. According to legends told in the nearby Earth Pony village, the Grandfather was the ancestor of every tree in the forest and was nearly as old as the Royal Pony Sisters. They also said that the Grandfather would grant the wish of anypony that planted one of its acorns. If so, then the ancient oak possessed incredibly powerful magic. The kind that could restore a life that been shattered long ago.

At the Grandfather's base, the old unicorn used his magic to pluck the greenest and softest leaves from the tree's branches and pile them at its base before removing his saddlebag and gently pouring the pink crystals within onto the makeshift bed. A thousand years of searching, he thought, and these were the only shards I could find. Still, at least now he knew how a descendant could suddenly appear from out of nowhere. Still, the Old Unicorn hesitated. If his spell worked then she would be reborn. And that meant in time her empire would be restored, along with Sombra as well. There was nothing he could do about Celestia's paradox but everything else could be avoided if he just left things as they were.

But if I did what else would change? he wondered. The young princess would never know her. Neither would her brother or Celestia. Her absence would change so much in their lives and who knew how many others. The Old Unicorn looked up at the Grandfather. Without it, the entire forest would never have come to be. All the years of its life had brought it to this moment and the Old Unicorn smiled as he realized the choice had already been made.

"Whatever will be will be," he decided. "Let us begin." The Old Unicorn began the spell and the Grandfather's leaves began to shine with lines of golden light. The light flowed out the leaves into the branches, trickled down the trunk and onto the ground where it began to pool around the crystals. The Old Unicorn grit his teeth as he increased his effort and a sudden wind rose to circle the clearing. Now the light was flowing up onto the leaf bed to be absorbed by the crystals which began to pulse with a pink light. The light's rhythm intensified in both speed and intensity as the crystals started to melt and fuse into a single form while the breeze circling the clearing rose to a tempest that howled with the fury of the ages. Cords bulged in the wizard's neck as the strain rose to unbearable levels until finally, a blast like thunder tore through the clearing and all was silent. With sweat dripping off his beard, the Old Unicorn heaved in exhaustion as he looked down and his eyes widened in shock.

On the leaf pile where the crystals had lain was a newborn foal. But while she had inherited the pink coat of her previous form, her once rose mane was now stripped with purple and gold. But most surprising was the wings on her back despite the absence of a horn. I don't understand, he thought. She was a unicorn in her past life and the power of the Grandfather combined with my own should have been enough to turn her into an Alicorn. So why was she reborn as a Pegasus? The foal started to cry and he decided answers could wait until later. Removing a blanket from his saddlebag, the Old Unicorn swaddled the foal and suddenly heard voices approaching through the wood.

"Are you sure it's coming from over here?" a stallion asked.

"You saw that light same as me," a mare answered. "And I'm telling you I hear a baby crying." The Old Unicorn's gaze shifted between the foal and the approaching voices before retreating into the shadows where a camouflage spell concealed his presence just before a pair of Earth Ponies stepped into the clearing.

"Dear look!" the mare cried as she rushed over to the foal. "You poor little dear! Don't worry you're safe now."

"But where did she come from?" the stallion asked. "I don't think anypony would leave a newborn all alone in the middle of the woods."

"It had to be the Grandfather," the mare said. "We've been wishing for a child of our own and it gave us one." From his hiding place, the Old Unicorn heard the foal coo happily in the mare's hooves and decided this was meant to be as well. After all, the young princess had to earn her wings so it was only fair that the little foal should earn her horn as well. "Are you hungry little one? Dear, let's take her home and get her something to eat."

"Well," the stallion mused, "we can't just leave her here. I suppose we could look after her until we find her parents."

"We already have." Slipping the foal into her saddlebag, the mare went on ahead while the stallion lingered for a moment. When nopony else appeared, he gazed up at the Grandfather and shrugged before following after his wife. Once he was certain they were out of earshot, the Old Unicorn emerged from his hiding place and stood before the ancient oak.

"Thank you old Grandfather." As if in reply, an acorn fell from a branch and bounced off something left behind in the leaf bed. The Old Unicorn bent down and pushed aside a leaf to reveal a single crystal shard. So that was why the spell had failed. But why had this particular shard not merged with the others? He levitated it in front of his snout and a small light shone from within. Could her consciousness have survived the fracturing of her body? But if so why did she resist?

"Amore," he wondered, "what is it you want me to do?"

=Equestria Prime (Present Day)=

"AAAAHH!" Pinkie and Spike screamed as they ran in circles. "What are we gonna do what are we gonna to do what are we gonna do!?"

"This is bad!" Rainbow fretted overhead. "This is bad this is bad this is very very bad!"

"Everyone," Twilight yelled over the panic,"just stop a minute!"

"Of all the worst things that could possibly happen," Rarity wailed as she and Applejack shivered in each other's hooves, "this is the worst possible thing!"

"For once I agree with you!" Applejack gulped.

"Oh my," Discord tittered while Fluttershy cowered behind him, "this actually makes me feel a little better." Reaching down, Discord seized Pinkie by the tail as she ran by and lifted her up. "Excuse me Pinkie?"

"AAAAAAH!" Pinkie screamed. "Yes Discord?"

"Do you have any popcorn I could borrow?"

"Of course," Pinkie answered as she pulled out a cartoon. "I always carry some in case of emergency." Taking the carton, Discord set her back on the ground.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. AAAAAH!" Twilight rubbed her temple in frustration and felt someone's hoof rest upon her shoulder.

"Let me try," Cadance suggested. Twilight stepped aside as the pink Alicorn took a deep breath. "QUIET!!" Immediately, everpony fell silent. "Thank you."

"Party pooper," Discord muttered.

"How?" Twilight asked.

"Luna gave me lessons in the Royal Canterlot Voice," Cadance explained. "She said it would help keep your brother in line."

"Oh. Okay then. Now everyone, I know this looks bad but this is no time to panic."

"Twight dear," Rarity interrupted, "forgive me but...ARE YOU CRAZY!?"

"Sombra's back," Rainbow counted off, "he's running loose in the other world, he's started another paradox, Celestia's been put under his spell. This is a PERFECT time to panic!"

"Which is exactly why we can't afford to. This isn't just a matter of saving Celestia anymore. I don't know how Sombra found out about the mirror, but possibly both our worlds are in real danger if we don't find a way to stop him."

"Okay but how?" Spike asked. "Sombra's in the other world where we can't even touch him. He's totally got the advantage."

"But we have an advantage of our own," Twilight reminded them as she levitated Star Swirl's journal before them. "Somehow Star Swirl knew this was going to happen and that's why he left us this notebook. Sombra doesn't know about it and that gives us an edge. I say we trust Star Swirl's judgment and follow whatever plan he set out for us."

"Well," Applejack shrugged, "Ah reckon it'll take a wizard to beat a wizard. Let's do it."

"Actually Sombra's a sorcerer," Twilight corrected. "Real wizards don't use black magic. Now let's rewind the mirror and see if we can't figure out what he did to Celestia."

"Sneaking into a lady's boudoir while she's sleeping,"Rarity shuddered. "How dreadful!"

"And this was inspired by a kid's comic?" Pinkie wondered. "What is up with our fanbase?"

"I find it's best not to think about it," Discord advised. "Now can we move this along so I can get my powers back!"

"Couldn't we just let the Royal Guard handle this one while we find a bed to hide under?" Fluttershy suggested.

"What do you think?" Rainbow answered. Fluttershy whimpered and reluctantly joined the others.

=Mirror Equestria=

Though the darkness around Sombra was devoid of any warmth, it was nothing compared to the cold shock at the pony who now stood before him. "You're the other Sombra," he finally whispered. "The one from Celestia's world. But she said you were destroyed."

"Not destroyed. Just...diminished. Now, as I was..." but the Other was cut off by Sombra's scream of rage as a ray of black magic burst from his horn to shatter him into fragments of shadow.

"Where are you!" Sombra yelled. "Show yourself!" The darkness pulsed as if alive and Sombra felt the Other's presence all around him.

"That was very rude! Is this really how you show your gratitude to your allies?"

"Silence! Face me you coward!" The ground suddenly heaved beneath him and before Sombra could evade, a great claw of darkness seized him in its grasp, raising him into the air as a giant head manifested from the shadows.

"Enough! I did not come here to fight so why do you act as if I was your enemy!"

"You dare!" Sombra snarled. "After what you did to Celestia...you show yourself to me and claim to be an ally!"

"What I did to Celestia?" the other asked. "Oh that. Come now. That matter has no bearing between us. You would really reject my help over such a trivial matter?" Sombra bared his teeth and struggled against the Shadow's grip as the Other lowered his face towards him. "I think perhaps you need to be reminded of your situation." The claw whipped itself back and Sombra was tossed away, the darkness shattering like glass to be replaced with a blinding light. Sombra slammed into the ground and painfully climbed to his hooves as his eyes adjusted and saw that he was standing in the middle of a growth of trees. What is this? he wondered. And why does this place look familiar? Sombra tripped over an exposed root and nearly fell face first into a puddle before he caught himself. And when he noticed his reflection, he froze.

"My face!" No longer was his appearance tainted by the darkness he had absorbed from the princesses of his world. His horn had returned to its original form, his eyes no longer burned with black magic, even his crown and robe had been returned. As he continued to stare at his restored visage, something rustled in a nearby bush and Sombra looked up as a beautiful little unicorn filly leapt out in pursuit of a butterfly. Her coat was pure white and her mane striped with black, yellow, and indigo. And once she saw him, her face lit up in joy as she raced forward to throw her hooves around his.

"Poppa!" Poppa? he thought. "Momma said you'd be late but I knew you'd make it." The filly released him and Sombra watched as she ran back to the bush she had appeared out of. "Come on Poppa, Mama's over here." Sombra followed after her and peered out upon the Wishing Garden of Canterlot Castle where Celestia, her hair glinting in the sunlight, lay on a blanket with the filly he had just met nestled by her side. "See Momma. I told you he would come."

"Yes you were right," Celestia laughed as she winked at him. A cold chill raced up Sombra's spine and he looked behind him to see the Other floating over his shoulder.

"Why do you hesitate?" he asked. "You don't want to keep them waiting do you?" Sombra scowled and looked away.

"How much of a fool do you take me for? This is just another of your illusions isn't it."

"Not an illusion," the Other corrected, "but a vision. This is the life that awaits you. The life you always wanted. The life I can give you."

"And let me guess, after taking my darkness you also plan to take my place in this world so I can go to Celestia's." It was the same deal the Celestia of his world had tried to force upon him.

"It's well we understand one another. But then we are very much alike aren't we?"

"We are nothing alike!" Sombra snapped. Overhead, the clear blue sky began to darken with clouds as a wind began to sway the surrounding trees back and forth. "You're a monster who spreads suffering for his own amusement. You abuse and trample the weak for your own selfish ambitions and still have the gall to call yourself a king." Now the sky overhead was completely black as bolts of lightning erupted from the clouds as the wind rose to such intensity that entire tree limbs began to crack and break. "And you hurt Celestia! With my face! Because of you she was afraid to even approach me!" A searing pain struck his temple and Sombra fell to his knees. His eyes began to burn and Sombra reached up to feel that his horn had once more reverted to a curved blade. The Other chuckled and the world began to shimmer and melt around them.

"I don't deny your final argument. But as for everything else, isn't that exactly what you did?" Sombra looked up as the world stabilized and saw that they were now in the Castle's Monument Garden. Before them was Discord's Captain Goodguy statue. And standing beneath it was Discord and himself. I remember this night, Sombra thought. It was the night he had taken Celestia to the Wishing Garden. The same night Discord had discovered the cause of the dimensional disturbance he had sensed in their world...

..."What were you thinking?" Discord demanded.

"Discord please," Sombra begged, "just let me explain."

"And I can't wait to hear it," Discord said with a roll of his eyes. "I should have known. That other Star Swirl, he told us what could happen if someone from the other world crosses over too much. Why would you two do something so reckless?" Sombra turned away to stare at the base of the statue where Celestia had vanished back into her world.

"Discord...I love her. And she loves me. How could that possibly cause harm to either of our worlds?" Discord rubbed his eyes and shook his head.

"Sombra, think about this for a minute. Just how long do you think you can keep this up? Even if you and her weren't aggravating the paradox, how could this possibly work? You can't be with her except for a few minutes at a time unless one of you gives up your throne. And I don't think either of you are prepared to do that. One way or another this is going to end in heartbreak or worse." Sombra lowered his head but didn't reply.

"Discord," he finally asked, "you can sense the rift can you not?"

"Yes that's right."

"Is there any way you can heal it as well?"

"Sombra that's not..."

"Can you or can you not?" Sombra repeated.

"No I can't," Discord answered. "At least not entirely. Parts of Celestia's world and ours have permanently fused and my magic only affects our world. At best, all I can do is pull back the parts which are only tangled together."

"Then do it. And don't tell any of the others about this."

"Sombra..."

"Discord!" Sombra snapped. "I gave you an order." The garden fell silent as Discord's face went blank with shock before twisting into cold anger.

"As you wish...Your Majesty."..."

...As Sombra and the Other watched, the image of Discord passed by them and Sombra was taken aback by the hurt and anger on the face of the his longtime friend. "You say I'm selfish?" the Other asked as the world began to shift once more. "But who was it that endangered two entire worlds for the sake of his infatuation? Who was it that forced one he called friend into covering up his mistake? But I don't blame you. After all what sort of friend would forbid you to seek happiness?"

"You're wrong," Sombra argued. "Discord was just looking out for me. I apologized and Discord...he said he understood. He said he would keep the rift from getting any worse so long as Celestia and I kept our reunion to once a year. And as hard as it was I kept my promise. "

"And yet it wasn't enough was it? Especially on those nights when you lay alone in bed, longing to feel Celestia beside you. That's why you sought to harness the rift for yourself, to create an interstice between her world and yours. That way you could be with each other without crossing between worlds. The dimensional balance would no longer be aggravated and neither of you would have to abandon your subjects. If only you could have deciphered the notes seized from the Star Swirl of this world. Unfortunately, your so called friends failed you once again." The world stabilized once more and now they were in Sombra's study. His past self sat behind the desk with his head bowed and his hooves pressed together while Luna stood on the other side....

..."And you still haven't been able to decode Star Swirl's journals?" Luna shook her head and Sombra grimaced behind his hooves. "Very well then. Return them to the archives. We'll try again later."

"Sombra I fear it won't make any difference no matter what we try. Star Swirl the Goateed's notes don't match any language or magical style that I'm familiar with. Nor does there seem to be any pattern or rhythm to them that could indicate a key."

"We'll solve it somehow," he told her. "He wouldn't have gone to such trouble unless he discovered something worth protecting."

"And then what?" Luna asked. "This is all based on chance. There's nothing to prove that the Star Swirl of our world was performing the same research as the one from Celestia's. And even if he was, how do you expect to use it? The other Star Swirl, he told us that crossing over between our worlds had the potential to destroy them both if not used carefully. How do you know that creating an interstice won't cause the same effect?"

"Luna!" Sombra snapped. Luna fell silent and retreated backward, but Sombra didn't seem to either notice or care. "Leave now."

"Yes your Majesty," Luna said as she half fled from the study. Once he was alone, Sombra growled in frustration and knocked the clutter on his desk to the floor. Why did it have to be this way? Why did he have to fall in love with a mare he couldn't even be with? Rising from his desk, Sombra stepped out onto the balcony to clear his head. If only the other Star Swirl hadn't disappeared. Perhaps he could have unlocked the secrets of the journals. But considering how he had tried to close off the mirror after discovering Celestia was crossing over on her own, Sombra knew that he would most likely refuse.

If we weren't meant to be then why did we even meet? he thought. I won't accept it. I will find a way. Celestia and I will be together somehow. Overhead , a shooting star streaked across the sky and Sombra wondered if she was gazing up at one just like it in her world.

"Celestia."...


..."You see?" the Other asked as the world began to shimmer once more. "In the end we aren't so different. When we want something, we both pursue it regardless of who we have to trample in the process." The shimmer faded and Sombra found himself back in Celestia's throne room. It's not true, he thought as his body began to shake and his horn crackled with dark magic. I'm not like him. I just...

"All my life," he whispered, I've served others. First as a knight in the court of King Bullion, then as King of Equestria. I never once wished for anything for myself. I simply decided that it was my fate to ensure the happiness of others. And I took consolation in knowing that doing so allowed my subjects to live their lives free of suffering and fear." Sombra grit his teeth as his emotions began to churn inside of him. "But then I met Celestia. For the first time in my life, I had found someone who understood the burdens I had to carry, the sacrifices I made. And I wanted to live my life with her. To share in her joy and sorrow, to raise a family with her, just any other stallion." The rage and frustration finally boiled over within him as bolts of black magic exploded from Sombra's horn and seared the walls of the throne room. "I just wanted to know the same happiness as everypony else! Why was that so wrong!" It was then that Celestia's face suddenly flashed in his mind and shocked Sombra back to his senses. Realizing how close he was to losing all control, Sombra pushed the darkness down and collapsed gasping onto the floor.

"It's not." Sombra looked up and in a nearby window, the reflection of the Other gazed back at him. "Despite what you believe, I understand your suffering. Like you I was born in the reign of King Bullion. But while you were raised in the royal court, I spent my childhood in a peasants village. Because I had no rank, no wizard would accept me as an apprentice even though my talent surpassed that of the nobles. So I was forced to seek my destiny elsewhere. And now look at me. Stripped of my strength, my body shattered, a shadow of all I once was. I know exactly how it feels to be denied what is rightfully yours. " Slowly, his body half numb from the strain of his outburst, Sombra picked himself up and stumbled towards the window. "You may detest what I am," the Other continued, "and to be frank, there are things about you I find equally repulsive. But that doesn't change the fact that we need each other. Without you, I cannot regain my true power and form. And without me, the secrets of passing between dimensions shall forever be lost. Like it or not I am the only friend you have left. After all, it's not as if Luna and the others would ever take you back after you abused and used them." Sombra's eyes met those of the Other and the world began to spin around him.

"Even so," he warned. "They're still my friends. I won't allow you to harm them."

"And what threat could I possibly pose to them? Even with Discord neutralized, the Celestia and Luna of your world no longer serve the will of darkness. Then there's the Changeling Queen and your little apprentice. Wasn't this the reason you sponsored her education and ascension to princess? So Equestria would have a leader in the event something happened to you? Against all their power, what chance could I possibly have?" As the Other spoke, Sombra's vision began to cloud until all he could see was a pair of glowing eyes in a sea of darkness. "You need not concern yourself with them any longer. Not when all you've longed for is finally within reach. Now tell me...what is it that YOU want?"

"Celestia," he murmured. "I want to be with Celestia." The Other grinned and all was darkness.

"As you wish...your Majesty".....

..."Your Majesty?" Sombra jerked awake and saw that he was in his drawing room at Canterlot Castle. What happened? he wondered. He was certain he had been someplace else. And there had been someone else with him. But try as he might he couldn't remember where or who. "Your Majesty is everything alright?" Sombra looked up and was greeted by a pale lavender unicorn standing above him.

"Dr. Glimmer? When? How?" The royal physician smiled as she helped him stand.

"You're still tired. But that's understandable. It was a long night but they're both fine. You can go in now." Sombra's gaze turned towards the door that led to his bedchamber and felt as though it were calling to him. As if under another's control, Sombra walked towards it and caught a glimpse of his reflection in a nearby mirror. He looked normal, but for some reason felt like a different face should be staring back at him. He stood before the door and as he opened it, he heard a familiar voice humming a lullaby.

Inside, Celestia lay back on his bed. Her eyes were underlined with bags and her mane was a disheveled mess but she shone with a radiance like never before. And in her hooves, a newborn foal slept peacefuly. "Sombra," she whispered as she saw him, her eyes shimmering with tears of joy. "Lumina, your daddy is here. Don't you want to meet him?" Sombra approached the bed and stared down at the sleeping foal. Her white coat and three striped mane seemed familiar to him but he couldn't understand why. Is this real? he wondered. Am I really gazing upon mine and Celestia's foal? "Do you want to hold her?" she asked. Sombra hesitated at first, but cautiously reached out to accept her. The little filly whimpered as she felt herself passed from her mother's hooves but seemed to instinctively recognize the one holding her as her father and began to coo happily. I can feel her weight, he thought as his vision began to blur. And she's so warm. This can't be a dream. It has to be real.

"She's perfect," he said. Shifting his daughter to one hoof, Sombra wrapped his other around his wife's shoulder and kissed her forehead. "This is all I ever wanted."


In the library of Canterlot Castle, Chrysalis and Luna watched intently as Trixie and Celestia examined the crystals that covered Discord's horns. "So what's the diagnosis?" he asked. Pushing up her magnifying goggles, Trixie shook her head.

"I'm afraid it's not good. It seems the crystals automatically drain off your magic whenever you try to use it. And they don't seem to have a limit as to how much they can absorb either."

"Can't you just remove them?" Chrysalis asked.

"It's not that simple," Celestia explained. "The shards aren't just penetrating Discord's horns. They're deeply rooted in his spirit. If we try to force them, we could permanently damage Discord's very being. Our best hope is to find Sombra and analyze his magic in order to figure out a counterspell."

"But Sombra couldn't have done this," Luna said. "He's no sorcerer so how could he use magic outside his ability?"

"You're more right than you realize," Celestia added. "This type of magic is a lost style that hasn't been seen for nearly a thousand years."

"So maybe it wasn't Sombra after all," Chrysalis hoped. Discord groaned as he sat up.

"Chrysalis, I've tried to convince myself that ever since you found me. But it was him. He looked different, he even acted different. But it was definitely Sombra." A cloud of gloom fell over Equestria's ruling council as the reality of the situation began to sink in.

"If it was then at least we know he's alive," Trixie reminded them. "And Discord, from what you told us, he could have destroyed you. But instead he disempowered you. That proves he still has some goodness in him and that means we still have a chance to save him."

"You could be right Trixie," Celestia agreed. "Luna and I will continue our research into locating the Elements of Harmony while you and Chrysalis see if you can't pick up Sombra's trail. Discord, you should get some rest." Celestia gestured to her sister and the two Alicorns turned to leave.

"Luna," Discord called. "I'm sorry I couldn't bring him back." Looking over her shoulder, Luna shook her head and managed a smile.

"It's alright. I'm just glad you and Chrysalis made it back safely." Trixie left as well but Chrysalis stayed behind. Even without her Changeling empathy, she could tell Discord needed a friend.

"Are you alright?" The draconequus looked up and smiled bitterly.

"Oh sure I'm fine. Sombra's turned into a monster, I'm powerless to do anything about it, and I've noone to blame but myself."

"Discord what are you saying?"

"I knew about everything," he admitted. "I sensed the rift when it first started to form and then I found out what was causing it. But when I confronted Sombra about it, he ordered me to try and undo the paradox. We didn't speak for almost a month after that."

"I see," Chrysalis said.

"Sombra later came to me and he apologized," Discord continued. "He pleaded with me to go along with it, that he had to see Celestia because he needed her as much as she needed him, that he could open up to her in ways that he couldn't with us. I'd never see him look so desperate and pathetic so I agreed so long as they kept her visits to once a year. Since then, I managed to keep the paradox under control." Discord frowned and shook his head. "But then Luna switched sides and with everything that happened, I couldn't keep up. And now look where we are. I should have sealed the gate off when I had the chance. Sombra might have hated me for it, but at least he'd still be himself." Chrysalis smiled gently and laid her hoof across his eagle claw.

"It's probably a good thing you didn't. If you had Sombra might have done something truly reckless. From what Luna told me, he was convinced that deciphering Star Swirl's notes would somehow enable him to be with the other Celestia completely."

"The other Celestia," Discord asked, "did you ever meet her?"

"A few times," Chrysalis answered. "She had a beautiful heart, so warm and loving. But there was a sadness to her as well, a loneliness that I sometimes felt from Sombra as well. I suppose that was why they were so drawn to each other. They bore the same burdens so they understood each other in ways we couldn't."

"It's too bad we can't contact her. She could help us reach him."

"Perhaps," Chrysalis agreed. "But we can't so we'll just have to do the best we can on our own."


Once he was certain his counterpart had lost himself in the dream glamour, Sombra rose up through the layers of consciousness until he found himself back in the physical plane. Hopefully, the illusion would keep him occupied until Sombra could find a way to be rid of him. This wasn't part of my scenario], he glowered. Between the strain of holding the darkness within him in check and the shock of Sombra's possession, his counterpart should have been destroyed. His very essence ground into dust and absorbed into Sombra's own. But somehow, not only had his counterpart retained his sense of self, but was even able to hold him in check. But how? Sombra wondered. What is keeping him intact? As if in reply, Sombra felt something prod his side from within the cloak his counterpart had draped over their shoulders. He reached in and pulled out a golden crown which he immediately recognized from his own world.

Of course, he realized. His counterpart's love for Celestia and the hope however small that somehow he would see her again. Just as it kept the darkness within him at bay, it had also shielded his heart from Sombra's possession. And with it full control of his body and magic. With a snarl of disgust, Sombra shoved the crown back into the ratted cloak and stormed out of the throne room. If I am to gain complete control, he decided, I must break him. I must destroy his hope. For while his counterpart's emotions were an effective way to keep him under control, they were also a threat. So long as he carried even the slightest trace of love or hope, Sombra's hold on him remained tenuous at best. But that was merely the first obstacle that had risen before him. Emerging onto the parapet that overlooked the courtyard, Sombra looked toward the lone spire of Canterlot mountain that rose up from the landscape. By his original plan, after eliminating Discord, Sombra would have then moved on to Canterlot Castle where he would obtain the two items that would enable him to take both Equestrias. But due to the unexpected interference of his counterpart, Sombra was only able to neutralize Discord's magic. By now, the others were bound to have found Discord and were aware of his presence. If he made his move now, Sombra would only have time to obtain one of the items. But if he delayed for too long they would eventually track him here. Either way, if he were to confront any of them, his counterpart would most likely interfere and Sombra doubted he could resist being expelled a second time.

As he weighed what limited options were available to him, movement in the courtyard below caught Sombra's attention and he looked down to see three ponies passing through the main gate; an yellow Pegasus in a black jumpsuit, a slender white Unicorn, and a second larger Pegasus whose body rippled with muscle. I don't recognize them as being his allies, Sombra thought. I suppose that means I can dispose of them without risk.


Flash gazed up at Celestia's old castle and couldn't believe he was actually back here. When had first enlisted as her follower, Flash had his career planned to the last detail. Step 1: usurp control of the Shadowbolts from Soarin. Step 2: work his way into Celestia's confidence and become her right hand stallion. Step 3: overthrow Celestia and take over her operation. Step 4: conquer Equestrian and steal every mare for himself. But after hearing that Celestia and Luna had surrendered to Sombra, Flash had feared that his entire future was gone forever. Now though, thanks to Sombra or whoever it was they had followed here, it looked as if he might just get a second chance to fulfill his rightful destiny.

"What do you suppose was all that commotion in the throne room?" Fleur asked.

"Who knows? Probably just our friend kicking out some squatters. No telling what kind of riff raff would try to set up camp around here. Now come on." With Fleur and Bulk trailing behind him, Flash led them through the main gate and across the courtyard towards the castle's front door. He knocked but nopony answered so he pushed it open. "Hello?"

"I don't like this," Fleur said as she followed him inside. "It's too quiet." Bulk grunted in agreement and looked in every direction as if expecting an attack.

"Don't be stupid," Flash ordered. "Or course it's quiet. We're the only ones..."

BOOOM!

The sudden slam of the door closing if its own accord made all three ponies jump back in fright. A sudden breeze began to rustle a nearby row of curtains and Flash shrugged it off. "Forget it," he said. "It's just the wind."

"No," said a voice. "It's not." Before any of them could react, a wall of black crystal had suddenly sprouted over the door and sealed it shut. Bulk snorted in alarm and prepared to bulldoze his way out when a mass of shadowy vines emerged from the floor and wrapped him in their embrace, pulling the massive Pegasus down to pin him against the ground.

"That's it!" Fleur cried. "I'm leaving!" As she ran for a nearby window, a row of jagged crystal shards burst up to cut her off. Barely stopping in time to keep herself from getting impaled, Fleur attempted to turn around when more shards emerged and surrounded her in a wall of razor sharp spikes. Rather than be trapped himself, Flash took to the air as another batch of shadow tendrils appeared to grab him. They shot at him from every direction but with the speed and agility that had earned him a place in the Shadowbolts, Flash easily dodged and weaved his way through every effort to capture him.

"That the best you can do?" he mocked. As if in response, the tendrils massed into a ball that launched itself towards him. Expecting another easy dodge, Flash shot upwards when the ball suddenly stretched open into a net. Caught off guard by the surprise maneuver, Flash was unable to escape before the net seized him, suspending him in midair like a fly stuck in a web. Once that they were all trapped, a black fog rolled in from the halls and manifested into a towering form topped with the face of the Unicorn they had seen in the Badlands.

"I don't know how you were able to find me," the Shadow growled. "But know that it will be the last mistake you will ever make." From the curved red horn atop its head, dark magic began to crackle and seethe as the Shadow took aim at Fleur first.

"Hey now hold on a minute!" Flash yelled. "Are you really Sombra?" The Shadow halted its spell and turned towards him.

"And what if I am?"

"Well either way you're not with Trixie and the others. And if so, then have we got a deal for you."

"Is that so?"

"It's the truth," Fleur agreed, doing her best to keep her throat a safe distance from the crystalline thorns that circled it . "We witnessed your battle with Discord in the Badlands. It was such an incredible feat that we had to seek an audience with you." The Shadow surveyed the three ponies at its mercy until finally, with an amused smirk, it released them.

"Very well. You have my attention." Shaking off the chill from the shadow web, Flash dropped down to join his sidekicks.

"Let me do the talking," he whispered before turning to the Shadow. "Allow us to introduce ourselves. I'm Flash Sentry, formerly of Celestia's Shadowbolts. This is Fleur-De-Liss, one of her former spies, and that's Bulk Biceps, who was one of the guards here. We were on the fast track to the big time under Celestia until she sold out and...

"And none of which is my concern," the Shadow interrupted. "My patience is running thin."

"Uh...yeah right," Flash gulped. "Long story short, we're looking for somepony to serve. Somepony who can take us to the top and won't sell us out like Celestia."

"So you wish to become my vassals then? I must admit I am not accustomed to those seeking to serve me of their own free will."

"Well," Fleur said, "that's clearly because they couldn't appreciate your magnificence. But we can. Compared to your power and greatness, even Celestia pales in comparison. It would be a great honor to serve your commands."

"Is that so?"

"Exactly!" Flash interrupted. Fleur had another thing coming if she thought she was going to steal the spotlight from him "Me, I can fly clear across Equestria and back in less than a day."

"I used to work the circles of Canterlot's elite," Fleur cut in. "And they never once suspected my true motives. As for Bulk...if you need something smashed you couldn't ask for a better stallion." As if in agreement, Bulk whinnied and pawed the ground with his hoof.

"And unlike the rest of Celestia's followers," Flash added, "we've managed to avoid getting captured. That alone proves that we're a cut above the rest. And why wouldn't you want anything less than the best?" The Shadow surveyed them a moment longer before it's mouth parted into a fanged grin.

"And the answer presents itself," it chuckled as its form began to shrink and solidify into the form of a pony. "I think I just might have a use for you three. Now come. We have little time to waste and there is much you need to know first."

==Equestria Prime==

"A little more to the left Spike," Twilight instructed. Spike turned the mirror shard accordingly as the others gathered around for a closer look.

"Better?" he asked.

"Yeah I guess it'll have to do," she sighed. Twilight cast the rewind spell as Spike leaned over the top of the shard. "Spike don't do that."

"But I can't see."

"Here," Pinkie said as she held up a wall mirror. "Now you can." In the reflection of Pinkie's mirror, Spike saw Celestia's darkened bedchambers displayed in the face of the shard. In the upper corner, a flash of red and orange darted in and out of view as a shadow raced towards the balcony.

"That must have been when Sombra cast the glamour on Philomena," Cadance said. A few seconds later, a black cloud seeped through a window and began to cross the floor towards Celestia's bed.

"And here comes Sombra," Rarity said with noticeable distain.

"Well that explains how he was able to fit through the mirror shard," Spike noted.

"Come ta think of it," Applejack noticed, "he also looks a might punier than last time."

"Well, what do you expect?" Rainbow reminded them. "We totally kicked his flank back then." Suddenly, Discord shoved his way through to press his snout against the shard.

"Give me back my magic you overrated piece of air pollution!" Fluttershy pulled him back and in Pinkie's mirror, Spike saw that Sombra had vanished from the reflection.

"Spike quick. Angle it up and to your left." Spike did and saw in Pinkie's mirror that Sombra was now floating over the sleeping princess.

"Wha-what is he doing to her?" Fluttershy stammered. Spike squinted and saw what looked like a plume of purple smoke pass out of Sombra's mouth which Celestia unknowingly inhaled.

"So that's it," Twilight said as she cancelled the spell. "Sombra infected her with some of his dark magic. It must be feeding on and aggravating her regret over losing the other Sombra."

"And that's why she's been actin' the way she has?" Applejack bristled. "Why that slimy, low down, good fer nothin'...". Leaving the group, Applejack stormed over to the cave wall and kicked it hard enough to make a crack. "When Ah get my hooves on that varmint I'll buck him clear into next week!"

"Well then what are we waiting for then?" Rainbow said as she took to the air. "I'll fly back to Ponyville, get the Elements of Harmony, and we'll blast Celestia back to normal." Rainbow zipped towards the Library's main entrance, but Twilight caught her tail with her magic and halted her in mid-air.

"Not so fast Rainbow," Twilight warned. "It's never that easy with Sombra. Remember all those traps he left to guard the Crystal Heart?"

"I agree," Cadance said. "We can't afford to underestimate him. For all we know, Sombra might have anticipated that we'd try something like that."

"Which is why instead of playing into Sombra's hooves," Twilight continued, "we'll use the Elements only when Star Swirl says we should. Otherwise we might risk harming Celesia even further."

"Well they victory always has a price," Discord remarked, earning him a dirty look from Fluttershy. "What? They're the ones who say it." Spike ducked for cover, but thankfully Twilight was too absorbed in Star Swirl's journal to have heard the conversation.

"So Twilight," Rainbow said, "if we can't use the elements then what the hey does he expect us to do?"

"I'm not sure," Twilight answered as she flipped through the pages. "There aren't any written instructions. Just drawings."

"Drawings of what?" Rarity asked.

"They look like part of a spell circle. A big one too. Hold on. This looks like something." Twilight turned the book towards them and displayed a page on which a full spell circle had been drawn in the phantom ink. "I think we're supposed to cast the spell stored on this page." The others moved in for a closer look, including Cadance who shook her head in doubt.

"Twilight I'm not so sure that's a good idea. This spell formula doesn't match any I've ever seen before. There's no telling what kind of effect it could have." Discord opened his mouth to speak, but this time Fluttershy was quick enough to cover his mouth first.

"Maybe Cadance is right Twilight," Applejack agreed. "It's too dangerous."

"We don't have a choice," Twilight pointed out as she laid the journal on the floor. "But we'll take the necessary precautions." With the journal left open to the spell Star Swirl had left for them, Twilight pushed the others back a safe distance. "Now, everypony keep behind me." Turning back to the journal, Twiight's horn lit up and she cast the spell. The beam hit the journal and a light began to shine from the page that increased in radiance when it suddenly began to shrink until only a pinpoint of light remained

"Did it work?" Spike asked.

"Stay here," Twilight ordered. Slowly, carefully, Twilight approached the book. "I don't understand, it should have...". It was then that a beam of light burst from the page and struck Twilight's horn, filling the library with a blinding flash. Once his eyes adjusted, Spike blinked them clear as he looked up and saw Twilight sitting motionless before them.

"Twilight!" he yelled as the entire group ran to her side. Her eyes were glazed over with a white light and her mouth hung open, but she didn't answer. "Twilight!"

(Special thanks to FountainStrainger for allowing me to use her OC Princess Lumina)