• Published 4th Nov 2011
  • 1,283 Views, 12 Comments

By the Borders - Rakoom



An epic tale about friendship, loyalty, darkness, sacrifice, selflessness and awesomeness.

  • ...
 12
 1,283

Chapter 3: Never safe when the hounds howl

"Just my luck" I thought. When things look great and peaceful, SOMEPONY has to show up and drag hell along with it! What on earth DID just happen anyways? I sat down my sorry rump on the ground and took a rest to catch my breath again. It was okay to drag him along. I didn't have any issues with carrying the other filly all the way by air after all. But there was a problem however: Whenever I touched him, my body turned to lead and I could hardly stand upright! And to make matters worse, I almost landed upon him after trying to lift him up. Just that brief moment of the effect, was enough to drain most of my energy. Therefore, I had to get him up to the cliff without touching him. And his safety wouldn't be much to brag about after the sun goes down. After all, there was another reason to why I picked that particular spot to be alone! They say that when princess Celestia's gaze turns away, all the creatures hiding in the shadows come out to hunt. Not that I had ever seen any. But still, a pony on top of the cliff is a safe pony. I would want nothing more than to sleep at that point, and the night wasn't far away either. And then the sun began to tease me by casting it's orange beams on my face before it would hide away over yonder. "I don't have the time for this," I said with a groan. "Please Celestia, just for a moment more!"



It's strange to wake up to night. Especially since I never got to stay out late to gather berries or flowers. Even when the what we needed were just around the corner, my grandmother gave me strict orders to get back in. She was unshakeable when it came to the night: It wasn't safe. And I owed it to her to do as she said. But looking up at cloudless sky, with so many beautiful stars... I was breathless. The sky sparkled of diamond. A beautiful mix of dark blue and purple, with sparkling the stars so bright. In a book I read about them, and I giggled a little when I noticed "Orion's belt". But no books could ever describe the beauty of the moon. A perfect, brightly glowing ball on the sky. I would probably have sat there all night if I could have. Mmm, yeah. I would have now that I think about it! "ACORN," someone shouted for me. The voice was weak, but not distant. I still felt a little numb from yesterday, but I didn't notice or mind. Because I heard that the voice was desperate.



The voice came from behind me; on the backside of the tiny mountain I sat on. I galloped away to find it. But I didn't know what to expect to find. I didn't recognize the voice, I didn't know what was going on, I didn't know where anypony was right then or why I had slept where I woke up! I skipped around, jumping on flat rocks while trying to find anypony. Suddenly I could make out groaning to my left, behind some loose stones below an edge on the cliff. I galloped over and saw a light-blue pony, dragging the weird pony (which I just called Blank because of his blank-flank (not that I was looking much mind you)) behind him by ropes or something down the hill. "Hey, you okay? What happened?" I asked him, but he was just as afraid as he was tired. And then I heard the howls. He quickly looked over his shoulder before he dropped the ropes in his mouth. "Hurry," he said. "We have to get him up before they are here!" I didn't need more of an answer than that; it didn't seem like we had the time. I jumped down while the light-blue pegasus regained some strength. I ran over and took a quick look over "Blank". He was completely unharmed (exept for his ear, and the cuts from before), but there was something about his eye. I reached out to pull away the hair over it. I could see on his face that his eye was wide open even though he didn't move. But just before I touched him, the other pegasus yelled a desperate "No!" I quickly pulled my hand away before another series of howls roared out of the woods. Something was closing in.



I made a careful jump down, it was two metres after all. The way upwards was rugged, steep and just plain bad. Not suitable for walking, let alone carrying anything. "Why did you carry him this way? Why not by air? And why can't I touch him?" So many answers, so little time, and he had so little energy for some reason. "Neh, never mind th- that! Just do. Not. Touch him. Whatever you dh- do!" He sounded serious, so I guessed that I should just go with it. He moved away, and I grabbed the ropes which turned out to be vines! He really WAS serious about it. I pulled Blank upwards by the vines like a strong farmer drags a plow, towards the steep wall I had jumped down from. Everything was fine, the ground softened up as we got higher and safer by the second. But everything came crashing down on us, when howling started just around the corner.



My spine was chilled to the bone, while the other pegasus hurried up and flew up ahead (but only barely due to his exhaustion). He landed on top of the wall and sat down there to get another respite as I reached it. But now I heard barking and growling, behind me. "Almost there," I thought. "I can't just abandon him!" I looked upwards towards the light-blue pegasus, sitting there. He looked down on me, two body-lengths down. It wasn't much when it came to climbing, I had done it as a kid. But right then, it was a mile. I didn't dare to look behind me, the barking told me everything. The light-blue pegasus looked at me, looked behind me, and left.



I was their prey, and I was doomed. All that had happened, was for nothing? I would die here? I thought that I might as well look behind me - not that it would matter - before they took me. The creatures were hounds, of the black kind with grey stripes. Grandma once took out a book and showed me the pictures; she told me that they were very dangerous. I had looked at the picture in wonder and awe, it was a beautiful picture. With graceful poses and with a beautifully flowing fur, that I had dreamt of stroking. I would never have known that it would all lead to this. Those hounds didn't look that beautiful at all. Just feral, and dark. "Grandma," I whispered with my scared voice, which was breaking down. "Where are you?" My throat tightened, making it harder to breathe. I started to sob, before my sobbing went over to crying.



"More howling. Heh, someone won't be here to look at the new dawn," I thought. The night was cloudless, truly a beautiful sight with the full moon. But not everyone is lucky, I should know. After all, I have taken away fortunes from the fortunate. And I have seen so many like me suffer. 'Bad luck' I say, for them. Moving through the woods didn't save me as much time as I thought, I still wouldn't reach any town before dawn. "Oh well," I said with a shrug. "I guess this is as good time as any to rest." But even though it would be safer for me to sleep outside in the night, the animals would pose a problem to even me. But there hadn't been neither animal, nor beast that had ever put a scratch on mah dark coat. But Lady Luck wasn't smilin' to me right there, I can tell you that.



First off I heard whispers, the kind with 'promises of power in exchange for your soul'. I could tell, they were whisperin' 'bout ME, almost evaluating me as they got closer. But they passed, so I thought I was good. Not a chance. Those snapping branches wasn't stepped on by squirrels, that stomping wasn't made by a pony, and that deafening growl sure as BLAZES was not harmless. I threw away my bag into the bushes and readied myself. A big, snarling, angry face, followed by a large powerful body emerged from the shades. Those hungry red eyes wanted a meal, and I was ready to dish out some whoppin'. It didn't know who it was messin' with, but I would teach him to fear me. He stood up on two legs, towering above me with another six or seven ponies above my size. He let out another growl. And I, a grin. Before we both charged straight at each other.



The biggest hound was the one running first, and it went straight for me. Blank was lying motionlessly beside me, was he dead? I dried my tears and cleared my head. I quickly turned my head back again to the hounds again when the biggest one dashed towards me with a growl, while the others slowed down behind. Letting their leader in for the feast first. I closed my eyes and braced myself by taking a step forward. But to my surprise, nothing happened. The seconds passed, and I hesitantly opened my eyes. The wolf had stopped just two-three meters away, looking straight at me with hesitant eyes. "Why?" I asked myself. My answer came to me in the form of movement BEHIND me: Blank stood up with an intense - but strangely empty - stare at the wolves. But right there I didn't know what to be scared of the most, the wolves, or his pitch black eyes that chilled me to the bone. Looking straight at them was like looking into the abyss. There was nothing in there, nothing but darkness.



Blank still had a few cuts and bruises all over his body and dried up blood, but worst of all: His badly ripped ear. But none of those things seemed to affect him at all. He coldly stared at the wolves, and walked forward. With strangely empty - yet focused - stare directly at the leader-hound (which actually took a step backwards)he walked forwads. However, he was brought to a sudden stop when a big rock hit his head with a short *thud*, and he was unconscious once more. I looked up at where the rock came from, and a big group of rocks now thundered over me and crashed down around Blank. I was nearly deafened, but I couldn't care much about it while Blank was in the middle of the rockslide! When the dust settled, two of the rocks were laying on each side of Blank's bleeding head (almost TOUCHING him). I just stood there with my jaw hanging loose; my mind didn't process what had just occurred properly.



The hound had to dodge the rocks, so we had some breathing space now. But why did this just happen? I looked up, and my eyes met those of the bright-blue pegasus. I couldn't help but to smile, but I was still only meters away from a certain death. The pegasus was more exhausted than ever, but he raised a hoof towards the rocks. "Of course," I whispered, because now I knew what he was thinking about. I quickly galloped towards the rocks and kicked one of the biggest, barely moving it. So a kick alone wouldn't do it; I had to push it over. Leaning against the rock, I put all my strength to it. If I wasn't quick, I would die. But I just wasn't strong enough!



Even though I managed to move it a little, it still didn't roll over and push the rest with it! But Blank started to groan, and touched his head before he went deadly silent again (I couldn't see his face, but I imagine he looked quite shocked to find himself bleeding so heavily). I yelled "Hey! Get up! Help me," and hoped that he would respond to me. He groaned and stood up before mumbling something about his best day ever. But I could see that the wounds took its toll on him as well as me now, especially the last hit to his head. But a relief poured through me as I could see that he had returned to (somewhat) normal state, without his black eyes. We were in kinda pretty bad shape at the moment. But he helped me push the rock with what strength he had, which was more what I had. The rock started to roll a little, and we could hear some smaller rocks starting to roll on the other side.



But the great hound wasn't idle for long, waiting for us to get away or something. He leapt on top of the rock, and lounged after us with his big jaws. If it wasn't for Blank screaming "WATCH OUT!" to me, then it might have gotten my head or neck. But I fell on my back when I dodged, and was left defenseless on the ground. The rock rolled a little back and forth since the hound had pounced it, but that didn't distract him for long. The hound towered over us on the huge rock, casting his shadow down on me. Behind him though, was all downhill. Some of the rocks had even rolled down, and it was enough to scare the smallest of the hounds away. The great hound was ready to pounce me, and lowered his head. But Blank jumped in front of me, ready to fighting a hound twice or three times his size. I... Admit I blushed... A little... But it wouldn't do us any good; he was dead meat in comparison. That is, until a bright-blue lightning struck the totally unprepared hound in the snout! Above us, the other Pegasus had gathered a cloud big enough to actually shoot lightning! In the NIGHT! I wish grandma could have seen it; it was incredible! The big hound looked up and snarled, giving a very prepared Pegasus an opening. In a single incredible dash, he head-butted the hound straight to the chest! The hound fell backwards, but held onto the rock out of pure instinct. Not his best choice; he dragged it with him, triggering an avalanche of boulders.



Priceless. Even though I had just rammed a dog-like thing at the size of a car, the best thing about it was watching Acorns face after doing so. But the numbness in my entire body got to be the party-pooper this time. "Ey, thanks dude. Great shot by the way, how you did that lightning… thing," I said while rubbing my sorry skull with my not-so-comfortable hoof (the first time ever I missed my hands). But he had already landed above me somewhere. With a single jump and nearly no effort at all from my wings (I was finally getting the hang of it), I flew over the edge and found him in already deep sleep. I had noticed it was night, but it hadn't really bothered me 'till then that I didn't have a clue of what had happened. But that wasn't my main issue. "Hey," I heard down behind me. "A could you help me up this teeny tiny cliff? I don't have wings, and it's too tall y'know," she said without a hint of sarcasm (which is one of my main reasons I love Equestria). "Sure, but where am I anyways?" "I don't know, this is outside of my known area. And I don't know which direction you ran when you saved me," she said with a slightly decreasing voice as she said it. And with her hoof drawing circles in the sand. This however, didn't tell me anything. "Okay but, who are you?"



"What? My name is Acorn remember? You've forgotten?" she said almost as confused as me. I had an INCREDIBLE pain in my entire head, especially on top. "Yeah, I. I can't remember. I can't remember anything. Much of it is foggy, and none of it makes any sense," I said whilst trying my very best to remember. Which made the pain a whole lot worse. Now my head pounded away. She seemed to connect some of the dots while I started to sway slightly in the air. "Oh, thats right! You got hit by a rock just now. It may have made you forget. How is it?" She asked. But my head was not only pounding now, I was losing eyesight and balance. "I- I-" was all I said before falling down again. A distant voice called out to me, but I was so tired. I got a glimpse of the moon. It was nice.