• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 1,483 Views, 30 Comments

Stereoheart - FimFan14



A story of cutie marks and destinies, and how two colts end up in one crazy town.

  • ...
1
 30
 1,483

Four: Big News

Last time:

"Well, nice meeting you bro," Vinyl said. "Gotta run, catcha!"

Twilight approached Stereo, ignoring the other Unicorn that was walking to intercept another pony.

"Hey, Stereo," Twilight said. "I may have found something to do with your necklace. Can you stop over tomorrow? I found something that could change your life."


Well, this was an interesting development.

Stereo found himself tensing slightly, in anticipation of the news to come, the news that would undoubtedly, as already indicated, change his life. Hopefully, it would be good.

'No, it will be good!' He told himself. 'Nothing she says can possibly...'

"I'm really sorry, but it might end up being for the worse!"

Murphy's Law, it just couldn't resist invoking itself.

Stereo took time to look directly at Twilight, trying to find some sort of hint that she was joking with him. Maybe she said that for suspense? Maybe she was trying, very badly one might add, to pull a prank. But no, not a single shred of anything besides the utmost of seriousness was present on her face. It shattered the small amount of confidence that Stereo held inside of him, shattered it like a window.

Stereo was barely able to merely open his mouth, and begin to drag out a single syllable. "Wha?"

"I'm sorry, Stereo!" Twilight said. "I did some research, and every single source that I read suggested the same thing!"

Stereo came to his senses, immediately voicing his first question. "And what was that?"

Twilight looked in both directions, as if looking for something, or someone. After her examination, she lowered her head to his level. She began to speak in a stage whisper. "I can't tell you, too many ponies around," She said. "I really need you to stop by the library, though! First thing in the morning! Forget breakfast, I'll get Spike to whip us up something. But I need you there early!"

Stereo nodded his understanding. "What do I do until then? Am I in danger?"

"Not immediate danger, but we need to sort this out quickly. It could hurt you later on. Until then... just enjoy your party. And don't tell your brother. I don't want him panicking."

"But he won't..."

"Don't. Tell. Him." Twilight interrupted, in a voice that had suddenly changed into a cold, commanding one.

Stereo nodded. "Okay Twilight."

"Like I said, it might change your life for the worse," Twilight replied, then changed her voice to a more soothing tone. "But only if we do nothing. If we do the right thing, though, we could end up making it better!"

Stereo smilied, glad to have some comfort given to him. "Thanks, Twilight," he said. "Let's enjoy the party for now, though. Can you help me meet a few ponies?"

Twilight practically beamed at the prospect, obviously overjoyed at the opportunity to create friendships. Or maybe, to have something else to dwell on besides the potentially volatile article of jewelery currently hanging around Stereo's neck. Either way, she seemed happy enough to play ambassador, and before he knew it, he was already being dragged across the room.


Stereo stood on the edge of a cloud balcony. This cloud balcony, being made of said material, unfortunately seemed to be suspeneded a fair distance from the ground. Before today, Stereo would have been tossing but one thought around his head.

'How the hay do I get down from here?'

Of course, he had only just consulted the intellectual genius of Twilight Sparkle, and so had not been presented with a solution until late the previous night. In short, he had been taught how to leave without the assistance of his host. He had left a note on the table, not wanting to wake anypony at six am. All that remained was the casting of the spell that would solve a major problem for him.

Twilight had said that it was simply an advanced form of levitation. It seemed complicated, but doable. And so, he did. Concentrating hard, he let the magic flow throgh his horn. Soon, he had achieved what he had hoped- using levitation to create areas on which he could stand. A spiral staircase of violet, semi-translucent energy descended from his current position. Testing first with a hoof, he climbed onto the first step, and began his journey downwards. Now was the walk to the library. He began his trek, taking a mental note;

'Learn Teleportation'

It took about fifteen minutes on average to travel to Twilights on-hoof, this day being no different. After arriving, he walked up to the wooden door, knocked, and stood back. It soon swung open, revealing a purple dragon just a bit shorter than him. The dragon was obviously a baby, with its lack of both height and wings. It greatly surprised Stereo, however, when it- or rather, he -opened his mouth and spoke.

"Oh, hey," he said. "You must be the pony Twilight was talking about. I'm Spike!"

Stereo, using much restraint, managed to stop himself from cocking an eyebrow. This dragon, it spoke just like a pony. It was most certainly strange.

"Hi..." Stereo replied, extending a hoof. "I'm Stereo."

They stood and just looked at each other for at least ten seconds. Of all the various adjectives one could use to describe this moment, one in particular came to mind.

'Awk-ward'

Stereo gave a smile of the same description, before luckily being distracted by another being entering the room.

"Oh, hello Stereo!" Twilight said. "You didn't have to get here that early!"

He let escape him a hidden sigh of relief. He had successfuly averted a crisis. Hopefully, that wouldn't happen between him and Spike again. Celestia knows how unlikely it would be for Twilight to inadvertaey save them from an awkward situation, twice in a row.

"Sorry..." he said softly. "I didn't wake you, did I?"

"Wake Twilight?" Spike nearly shouted. "Nopony can wake up earlier than her. She's crazy!"

Twilight gave a small giggle. "Not quite, Spike," she said, before turningher attention to Stereo. "But you did get here a little earlier than I expected."

"Well, I couldn't sleep," Stereo replied. "And you did say to get here early." It was true. Nopony in their right mind should be sleep-worthy right after being told that a life-changing event would occur the next day.

"Well then, since you're here," Twilight said, "let's get started!" She then turned her attention to Spike. "Can you put together something to eat?"

Spike gave a comical salute. "Yes maam!" He said, before darting off into another room; assumably the kitchen.

"Oh Spike..." Twilight giggled to herself, before once again addressing Stereo. "What I'm about to tell you is big. You may freak out."

Stereo gave a large gulp. It could be anything... his necklace may kill him, or worse; it could be a doomsday device! Or maybe...

'Maybe I should stop thinking, and ask!'

"I'm ready," he said. "What is it?"

"That necklace," Twilight began, shifting nervously. "That necklace is tuned... no, practically wired into your inner magic. That's why it changed shape when you got your cutie mark. Your magic morphed to reflect your new skill, and identity. Thus, so did the necklace."

"How does that change my life?" Stereo asked. He failed to see where this was leading.

"In short," Twilight said, "it's syphoning your magic. And with loss of magic comes loss of functional and structural aspects."

Stereo broke into a sweat. "What does that mean?"

'Please no, please no, please no!'

"It means that, by my estimation, you will have lost both of those, one hundred percent, by next years winter wrap-up," Twilight explained. "And if I'm right, and you do lose both functional and structural aspects, you could physically turn into an Earth Pony!"