• Published 20th Nov 2014
  • 895 Views, 2 Comments

Balcony Balance - Redante



Blueblood and Applejack find themselves blackmailed into stopping Equestria from falling apart after the Gala, as one of the princesses has her secret exposed. But can they keep their own?

  • ...
3
 2
 895

Prologue

Locked.

Gentle silence.

Eyes misty with tears shed.

He held her softly. A silent kiss upon her tear-streaked face. On a bed made of the finest silk and feather.

It was night, the thin veils that cover the windows hardly held the baleful gaze of the moon at bay.

Breathing with halted, soft gasps.

"Shh...I'm here.."

Yet comfort seemed close. Pain and joy fought for her heart.

"How could they? How could she?"

Pain won, for now.

"I...I wish I could give you an answer but.."

Pillow stained with wet, pained replays of fresh wounds. But the tears are relentless.

"What did Ah ever do to them folk? Or her?"

His ears folded against his skull. Her murmur was veiled in distraught confusion.

It hurt.

"Please dear, it's alright now...I...I'll protect you."

He held her closer, she buried her face against his neck.

"Gosh darn it Blueblood...I'm trying to cry here."

Joy seems to have pulled through.

"Applejack..."

"Ah'm just...This Gala was gon' be the best ah would have with you hon.."

Sadness was seeping away. He could feel it.

He feared what was replacing it.

"But instead, Ah have myself an star-forsaken clan war brewin'! And ah'm locked in a room the next day!"

She bristled in his hooves. He closed his eyes.

She needed this.

"An' All because Ah happen t' like them oranges from the big city?"

"It is an rather weak argument to...Ah....divide the house.."

Her eyes connect with his.

"Blueblood. They took our farm. That ain't no dividin' no more, It's a direct attack on the main branch!"

She shook her head as she slowly sat up. Stetson laying in her front hooves.

"And what about you, Bluey?"

he blinked.

"Me?"

"Yeah. With all that Celestia has been going through last night.."

He sighed deeply. And turned onto his back.

"Unless she wants an riot amongst the elite, she should take a step back from the throne."

Her eyes widened. An soft gasped escaped her.

"Are you sayin' that if she wants no trouble she's gotta..?"

"No, not entirely."

He was not sure whom the sigh of relief belonged to.

"But she is still compromised in the eyes of the great houses." He scoffed. "At least these still are blindly loyal to her. But for all their power and age, they still need an figurehead as Aunty is forced to repent. So to say."

She shook her head slowly. Eyes cast down.

"'T'aint fair Blueblood. Th' Princess got feelings too. Heck, She's been at the top for at least a thousand years, and this is gonna be the one thing that stops her?"

He rubbed his muzzle.

"Yes. It is. The head of state, Especially immortal, must be pure in both heart and lap."

She snorted, sadness forgotten.

"Some folk really need to get with th' times, It ain't no sin to love another mare anymore."

He chuckled softly. An hollow kind of mirth.

"That may be, but aunty is not above the ancient laws that bind equestria together."

She settled back down against him, laying on the satin covered bed.

"But..What about...her?"

This time she was surprised by his pained sigh.

"If she's lucky, they simply maim her."

His eyes, laced softly with tears.

"In the case of rotten luck..."

She understood.

She held him softly, nuzzling against his chest.

He attempts to ward off his own tears.

"Applejack..."

"Blueblood..."

Their lips connect, albeit briefly.

Cheeks ablaze for far longer.

"Sugarcube...Ah wish we had shared that on better times.."

Their foreheads touch. Prince and Commoner. Enjoying their moment together.

"My pomme chérie, A wise mare once told me, that love should be enjoyed." he smiled at her dispite his own tears. "..And not for time.."

He needed this.

"She won't be lucky?"

She bit her lip. he shook his head slowly. And took a deep breath.

"But what about your family?"

Air filled her lungs aswell. Eyes closed.

"Twi has room in her castle. Housing ain't no problem. It's just.."

His gaze softened. Both now felt sadness slowly seeping away with their words.

They needed this.

"As you would say..'Taint fair'..."

"Yeah..."

They both enjoyed an warm embrace, tangled together, his soft kisses to her forehead seemed to soothe her more than any heart-to-heart would.

She chuckled.

"Would'ya look at us? rainbow would probably never let me life mah 'Moment of Mush' down fer the comin' five years."

He snorted, mirthfully.

"Ha, she would yes..I do believe that Princess Twilight would perish in the event 'us' becomes 'Here we are' into 'Care to do the honors, Princess?'."

She snickered.

"Oh sugarcube, She'd first bury us under books on law n' courtship. While tryin' to study our 'Advanced Friendship' in progress." She depicted with her hooves. "That gal puts death on hold fer th' 'Science of friendship'."

Blueblood hummed in agreement, stroking her back softly.

His demeanor shifted. Fear.

"Applejack...D-do you feel that?"

"Sugarcube..?"

The door to Blueblood's bedchambers unlocked loudly. Before being roughly send ajar.

In the blinding light of the marble hallway. A figure stood regal and imposing.

"Prince Blueblood. Madam Applejack."

Both Applejack and Blueblood were long since separated, standing in-front of the bed. The normally husk, tone had shifted. Bringing an unearthly chill to her voice.

"It would perhaps please you to hear that you may leave now."

Long since, had the archaic lessened.

"And perhaps, think about what I have offered you both." She confidently strode into the room. "For unlike my sister, You will find me much less...Forgiving."

"Princess Luna..."

Her stern look fell upon the orange earth-pony.

"..Why?"

"Why? Why?! My sister loved a mare. And my foolish nephew-" He wilted slightly under Luna's glare. "-loves a peasant!"

Her voice thunders throughout the room. Mane crackling with power.

"And now, Equestria will suffer through the actions of the first two!" she struck her hoof down. "I will not see the two of you contribute to that!"

"Aunty Luna, We're keeping our rela-"

"And so hoped Celestia! Now look what has happened.." Her voice dropped to more sedated tones. "..She steps back, and into wings of her dear sister."

She sauntered around Blueblood and Applejack.

"And..Oh! The throne is unattended, she lamented." Luna threw a hoof up in an dramatic flourish. "Why dear Celestia, I said. You have your nephew lazing around her castle, with his little muse~"

Blueblood felt his blood run ice cold. A feeling of dread settled within.

"Oh, she was positively livid! That he held the heart of an element...did lessen her wrath. As do most anesthetics, when employed at the right moment."

Applejack gasped at the prospect. Something that caused Luna to chuckle.

"Mmm, She will not remember anything my dear lovers. Thus your secret is safe...as long as you two do agree to certain..ah..Terms we had discussed prior your..."

She thought for a moment.

"...Little lockdown."

This time Applejack recovered.

"Ah can't believe you stooped to this level Luna! What did we ever do to you?"

The Alicorn smiled wryly. "Why madam Applejack. It is very simple.." She produced an scroll, and pushed it against Blueblood. "..All those years ago, you asked for my silence. And I kept it."

Blueblood read the scroll carefully. As Applejack trained her glare on Luna.

"A-and? We kept low n' secret like about our whole affair! What gives you any reason for all 'a this?"

"Why, Nopony knows about your relation as of yet. T'would be very unfortunate if somepony were to talk, would it not?" She shot Applejack an predatory grin. " And thus the two of you will work for me. If you wish to keep your reputation, and her neck, intact. That is."

The mare in question fell silent, eyes wide. Staring down.

"Oh Applejack.." a hoof at her chin pushed her tearful eyes to those stern orbs of Luna. "..I simply act in the interest of whole Equestria. And that of my Sister's happiness." Her glare softened. "Perhaps a bit extreme to employ blackmail for those goals...But being a good pawn...Could find your Clan related problems, easier resolved.."

Anger and shame ebbed away from Applejack at that. if slightly so. Perhaps it was a bit extreme...but...

"Aunty Luna....What is this?"

Blueblood had managed to look even paler as he lifted his eyes from the scroll.

"Ah, yes. That."

The midnight Alicorn turned around, a more genuine smile on her face.

"Congratulations, You're the first Blueblood to succeed Princess Celestia."

She actually hugged the two for a short moment as the stunned silence settled in.

"Now, I must take my leave my dear little ponies. And so should you." He stood at the entrance of Blueblood's chambers. Turning her head to view the two ponies in question one last time. "Return to your respective lives. Your assignment starts tomorrow."

Her gaze adapted to an more friendly demeanor.

"I know the two of you will make me proud."

Applejack and Blueblood stood beside one another silently. Staring back at Luna as she continued into the hallway.

"I am not my sister." Her horn lit up. and she turned to face the two once more. "Please, it would behoove you to remember that."

Ancient Alicorn magic discharged. And the Princess of Shadows was gone.

Leaving two, troubled ponies behind.

Author's Note:

Speak of a long time coming!

Fillies and gentlecolts, The sequel to Balcony Love. And this time, it's gonna be a ride.

And as always, enjoy! perhaps comment!

P.S. I am looking for an editor and/or a few able minded ponies fer brainstorming.