• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 808 Views, 6 Comments

The Draconeques: The Story Of A Nation - CCKuribon



The tale of what caused discords imprisonment in his stone casket. Enjoy :)

  • ...
1
 6
 808

Aftermath

The cold wind howled over the barren landscape. I had never seen anything like what had just happened. The town, once home to an entire race of miraculous creatures, was gone. The sky was filled with a giant purple cloud. Then an earth shattering boom ruptured the air. The sheer force of the sound knocked me from my feet. And then the wind hit. The wind stung like I had just been slashed like the Protector. Finally, the thoughts kicked in…they were all dead.

I slowly climbed back onto the rock I had been perching on. Where the town had one been there was now a crater roughly equal to its size. Using my ability to record history once more I made certain this this sight would never leave my mind. Permanently burning the image to my memories I climbed back down from the rock, huddled behind it, and cried.

The night dragged on and on, the sounds of war passed by my ears for the entire night. I heard drums and horns, soldiers shouting, small explosions…and the screaming of the woman I had sent away. I listened to the horrible sounds of the woman being slowly tortured by her captors for fleeing the town while the others burnt to death. She screamed and cried for the children. It was then that I realized that I had inadvertently sent them into an ambush. Had I kept running I would have, no doubt, run straight into the outpost that had been set up by these…invaders. I shivered at the thought.

As the night began to fade and the dawn slowly approached the army moved away from the town. They began to retreat and the horns sounded again. The rhythmic sound of hooves marching and wings beating chilled me to the bone. How many had there been? Were there any other survivors? I peeked over my rock and the sight a saw left me stunned. There were rows and columns of troops marching in time to the beating of the drums. Doing a quick series of calculations I worked out that there were at least two thousand troops on the ground. This was unbelievably and that wasn’t even including the Pegasus in the sky. There was no way to accurately count them all they moved far too fast. I remained hidden as the army marched away, determined not to let them have a total victory.

By the time the entire army had marched beyond sight it was mid-morning. Unsure of the next move I should make I sat and began pondering. I had two valid options and a plethora of options that would just make life worse…well worse than it already was, at this point. I could both return to the town and look for any survivors or I could flee and try to rebuild somewhere else. Going over my options my best bet was to return to town, find any remaining supplies, and leave. So that’s what I did.

I slowly made my way back to the remnants of the town. I was careful to make sure that there were no traps in the event that invaders thought that someone might return. I was right to be cautious. More than once I almost stood on a small green glowing…thing…that I was unsure of. In order to test what it was I took a few steps back and lobbed a rock at it to see if it was dangerous. I wasn’t prepared for what happened next. The rock bounced off the green object, which flared up, and was immediately destroyed by a flash of light. I stood shocked. So that was what caused the town to be destroyed. That strange pony must have made a giant variant of this thing.i now knew what I had to look out for. As I made my way towards the town I noticed that there were literally hundreds of these things scattered around the land.

I finally made it back to the town. I looked around for any sign of what had survived. I found a few torn blankets and a leather strap nearby. Fashioning a crude backpack I hunted down supplies, which was harder than you would think as we Draconeques always make our food as we need it we rarely ever store food for long periods of time. I did, however, manage to find a few pieces of bread, some butter and some meat. I believed that would be enough for a few days. Or at least that’s what I thought.

I left the town and made my way west, towards the gryphon’s territory. They may not have been friendly with our people but they never truly hated us either. As I made my way through the remnants of the town I heard a sound off to my left and ducked behind the burnt remnants of the city well. Peeking out from my cover I noticed that a small child was lying beneath the rubble of one of the buildings. Checking to make sure it was safe to approach the child I made my way into the ruined house and began to free the child from his prison. As I pulled the rubble off the child I had a thought. Why was this child still here if everyone else had vanished? Was that blast strong enough to eradicate the bodies of our people but not strong enough to destroy this child? I looked at the boy. He barely had a scratch on him. Just what was this kid. I lifted him from the rubble and took him with me as I left the town.

And with that I slowly made my way towards the Gryphon’s territory with a pack of food and an unconscious child on my back. Just what this world had in store for me I have no clue but what I do know is this.

There is no turning back now.