• Published 21st Dec 2014
  • 7,160 Views, 126 Comments

Rainbow Reflections - Bookish Delight



Can Twilight Sparkle realize the true nature of her friendship with Rainbow Dash? The answer lies beyond a magic mirror...

  • ...
34
 126
 7,160

3: Sky Blue World

Twilight Sparkle stepped through a door, and once more into another world — only this one reminded her a lot more of home.

There were all the usual luxuries of modern life in Rainbow Dash's bedroom: a dresser-mirror combo, computer, television, and even a few stuffed animals.

But it was the overall decor that caught Twilight's attention.

The walls were sky blue, and littered with paintings of clouds. Looking up, she saw ceiling pegs — which Twilight figured had to be for the model planes that Rarity mentioned back at Carousel Fashions. But, just as Rainbow had said, the planes were, indeed, gone.

In their place were posters, laminated and strategically hung on hooks so that they appeared to be floating. Birds, pilots, caped superheroines — if it flew, then it flew in Rainbow's room.

Twilight gasped. "It... it's beautiful. If I squint, I can really imagine that I'm high in the sky."

"Then it's doing its job," Rainbow said, with a laugh. "So while we were all doing each other's hair you said there were other versions of us, right? So does that mean there's... there's another me? A me who's a pony?"

Twilight nodded. "Uh-huh! And you'll love this one: she's actually a pegasus."

The resulting squeal was loud enough for Twilight to cover her ears.

"A pegasus? Like... like with the wings? Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" Rainbow spread her arms. "That's perfect! That's so me! That's the most awe-"

Rainbow's motions slowed. Her boisterous expression faded, and she lowered her arms.

"Heh, wow, yeah. That's... that's the coolest thing ever."

Rainbow's change in tone wasn't lost on Twilight. "Hey. Everything okay?"

"Uh-huh," Rainbow replied.

Rainbow walked to her bedroom window and opened it, revealing a far-reaching view of Canterlot District. As high up as they were, the buildings and shops were miniscule, and the cars looked like small insects. Even Canterlot High School could just barely be seen in the distance.

She gestured outside. "When we moved to this building, Mom and Dad wanted to get an apartment closer to the ground. I begged them to get one this high up."

Twilight's curiosity instantly kicked in. "Any, uh, particular reason?"

Rainbow buried her fingers in her hair. "Well..."

Hesitation. Twilight had seen this from her Rainbow as well, though only occasionally. Which meant she didn't have a standard reaction procedure for it.

So, she made one up on the spot.

She approached Rainbow Dash, and placed a hand on the other girl's shoulder. When Rainbow looked at her, Twilight smiled.

"You can tell me," Twilight said. "Even if I couldn't keep secrets — which I can — I have to go home tonight. And home's an entire world away for me."

Rainbow smiled back.

"I'm fine with telling you. I'd've told anyone who asked."

Rainbow's hand wrapped around Twilight's shoulder. Warmth flowed between them both.

"But hardly anyone asks. So yeah. I'm glad you did."

---

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic x Equestria Girls:

"Rainbow Reflections"

Chapter 3: Sky Blue World

by Bookish Delight, 2014-2015

All characters and referred properties belong to Hasbro.

---

"You ever have someplace where... where you just know you feel at home?" Rainbow asked.

Twilight nodded, and remained silent, listening.

"Well, I guess that's just always been the sky for me. On the ground, you gotta work to be awesome and the fastest, and stay that way. Which I'm cool with, sure."

Rainbow raised her arms and spun in place, gesturing around her room. "But up here? There's nothing in your way."

Twilight chuckled. "And even if there were, it couldn't stop you, right?" she asked, with a wink.

Rainbow froze for a moment as she parsed Twilight's words... then her smile went double-wide.

"Yeah! You totally get it!" she said, slamming her fist into her palm. "And that's why I've got stuff all planned out."

"'Planned out'?" Twilight echoed. She couldn't remember ever having heard those words out of her Rainbow.

"Yep." Rainbow Dash brought her thumb and middle finger close to each other in a universal gesture. "I'm this close to getting a sports scholarship to Wonderbolt Academy. It's the aviation college west of here, in Cloudsdale." Rainbow pointed to a poster advertising the university on the wall. "Figure I get in there by playing soccer, and study like crazy on the side. 'Cause there's no way I plan on losing out once I'm in the door."

"Wow," Twilight said. "That is a plan. It sounds like you really want this."

"'Course I do."

Rainbow Dash stuck her head out the window.

"'Cause I wanna fly."

Twilight followed Rainbow's lead, feeling a light breeze tousle her hair as soon as she did so. She looked to Rainbow, and saw her hair swaying in the breeze as well. Rarity would likely have had an aneurysm at the sight. Neither of them cared.

Rainbow turned to Twilight. "You feel that, right? Isn't it awesome up here?"

Twilight had to agree. At this height, the air was crisp and cool, and the sounds of the city were barely noticeable. It reminded Twilight of the first flights she'd attempted after becoming a princess.

Before the crashes, at any rate. The crashes always happened just as she was starting to have fun. It was nice not having to worry about that here.

They stood silently, enjoying the wind, until Rainbow gave a happy sigh, and pulled her head back inside. Twilight followed.

"I'm making sure I graduate a Wonderbolt," Rainbow said. "'Cause I'm tired of being stuck in one place while..." She trailed off, casting her gaze to a picture sitting on the nightstand near the bed.

Twilight followed the gaze. The only things it could fall on were a lamp, and a framed photograph. From what Twilight could see, the photograph was clearly of three blue humans standing together, but that was as much as she could make out from her current distance. She made a mental note of it, then turned back to Rainbow.

"There's a group of flyers in my world known as the Wonderbolts, too," Twilight said. "Our Rainbow already has ties to their Academy, and she's training to be one of them. It's been her lifelong dream."

"You're kidding!" Rainbow said, her face lighting up, much to Twilight's relief. "That's awesome! That means there's hope for me! Though..." She paused, then put her hand to her chin and 'hmm'ed in thought. "Now I wanna know stuff."

Twilight smiled. "I'll help in any way I can."

Rainbow grinned back. "Good. I was counting on that." She pointed to Twilight. "So, your Rainbow Dash. How'd she find out what her dream was in the first place? Why did she want to go to Wonderbolt Academy?"

"She pulled off an amazing flying stunt as a filly," Twilight said, "and ever since then she's just always wanted to live life doing what she's loved. She wants to be recognized as one of the the best."

The stunned look on Rainbow Dash's face was the last thing Twilight expected.

"Wow. She... she had it from the beginning." Rainbow's soft voice was laced with awe. "You have no idea how jealous I am."

Twilight shook her head. "Don't be." She looked around Rainbow's room. "Humans might not have wings, but from what I can see, you've always had the same flying spirit she's had."

Rainbow's confident look was back.

"You kidding? 'Course I have! When I was a kid, my parents always had to stop me from running around the house with my arms spread out, makin' plane noises. Led to a lot of park trips, though." She smiled as she reminisced. "Heck, there's this really old jet fighter game at Canterlot Arcade that I refuse to let 'em get rid of. It's always been about the sky for me.

"These days, though?" Rainbow stared into space. "I want to fly for another reason."

"Why's that?" Twilight asked.

Rainbow stepped forward, gently grasping Twilight's hands and looking straight at her.

Wide eyes, communicating genuine sentiment. Lips opening just a little bit, then closing, indecisively.

Twilight had only ever seen this look on her Rainbow once or twice in her life. The look of a Rainbow Dash about to take a chance. The look of a Rainbow Dash needing someone, anyone, to truly listen, to take what she had to say seriously.

Twilight looked straight back into Rainbow's eyes, probing, reassuring. You can tell me, Twilight thought, hoping that the unspoken message would get across.

It did.

"'Cause when I can fly?" Rainbow said. "Anywhere I want? It won't matter where the special people in my life go. I'll be able to follow them. And we'll never drift apart."

With no idea how to respond, Twilight simply firmed her hold on Rainbow's hands.

It seemed to be enough. Rainbow nodded slowly in return. A hush fell over the room for several moments.

Twilight noticed Rainbow staring at her intently, her mouth opening ever so slightly, as if about to say something, do something.

Instead Rainbow closed her mouth, gently biting her lower lip in the process. She dropped Twilight's hands, and walked to the other end of the room, gesturing for Twilight to follow.

"Ahhhh, I know when I'm makin' things weird. C'mon."

She plopped onto her bed, and patted the spot beside her, beckoning for Twilight to sit.

"Forget about me for a while. Tell me more about you. And your pony world. And the me with the wings. And the pony princess with the sparkly hair who looks like the principal? What's that about?"

Rainbow and Twilight shared a laugh. "Actually," said Twilight sheepishly, "your Principal Celestia threw me off too."

"She throws everyone off. Have you seen those legs? Her sister's, too! I keep wanting to ask them to be star kickers for my team!"

The two laughed again.

"Seriously, though," Rainbow said, grinning. "We've still got time. So I wanna hear everything."