• Published 31st Oct 2014
  • 2,186 Views, 46 Comments

My Final Decision - Sillyponyme



Sonata struggles with recent events

  • ...
13
 46
 2,186

Story of Betrayal

Adagio and Aria had just come through the portal and looked around confused. Where had they ended up and why was it so dark? Adagio groped the wall as she tried to make her way to any light source when she heard a loud pang. “Aria, what was that?”

“I think I found the water heater.”

“You find it with your head?” Adagio laughed as she joked about Aria hurting herself.

“Nope, my body.” Aria answered irritably. She was ready to strangle Adagio but it would have to wait.

Adagio continued to search and groaned in annoyance with the darkness but at least she knew where they were now. How and why the portal ended up in the basement was beyond her. Putting it down there wouldn’t stop them from returning and that was the other thing, why would the princess let them through. Whatever the reason was, it couldn’t be for her benefit. If something happened to Aria, she didn’t care. The important part was getting more power, nothing and no one would stop her. Unknown to her, Aria had the same thought. They would only work together until they got what they wanted and then one way or another, one of them would disappear. The worst part was that they didn’t even fully realize what they were doing.

Adagio had been moving slowly along the wall and around things for about five minutes and finally found a switch. The lights flipped on and blinded Aria. Adagio was prepared and covered her eyes but Aria stumbled around and fell to the ground. She waited to see again before speaking. “How about some warning next time jack-” Aria stopped and reached down beside her for something buried beneath boxes. “Hmmm?” She grabbed the item and picked it up. It was a sniper rifle.

“Aria, what are you doing?” Adagio walked over to Aria and noticed the rifle. “This is good.” “Why does the Principal have a rifle in her basement? She couldn’t have been thinking; leaving the gun down here with the portal.” Adagio was curious, she couldn’t imagine Celestia would ever have a rifle. Protection was a good reason but if that were the case, why leave it in the basement. It didn’t matter, she would soon have everything she ever wanted and if things didn’t go the way she wanted, she had a rifle now.

Outside of the school, everyone was where the statue used to be. Everyone from school found out due to everyone being in the school working on projects. After seeing Sunset and the others walk up and just stand where the statue used to be, they all got curious and decided they would see what was happening despite Sunset’s suggestion to go home. She would have tried harder to convince everyone to leave but they all came wearing headphones. She could only assume that the headphones were for protection against the sirens. It helped Vinyl Scratch, why wouldn’t it help everyone else.

Sunset was having a hard time with the decision to let Aria and Adagio back, what if nothing went the way Twilight said it would? She loved her friend but Twilight couldn’t always be right. Her biggest worry was the possibility that this could be a trap led by Twilight who was corrupted by the sirens. “No, Twilight is far too strong to be corrupted. Come on Sunset, have some faith in your friend.” Sunset whispered to herself. This wasn’t the time to freak out especially with Sonata freaking out. They hadn’t truly spoken since the hospital.

It had been half an hour since they arrived when a green mist started to slowly roll in from all around them. Sunset stared at the school doors to see Aria and Adagio walk through.

Aria held the rifle behind her back so that it wasn’t visible to anyone else from where they were. The school was instantly angry at seeing the two sirens who were talking. Aria and Adagio had very happy faces at seeing the group of people and it only improved with the negative energy coming off of the students which only continued to grow. All of the students glared at the two. “Hello Sunset, you don’t seem happy to see us and Sonata seems a little apprehensive.” Adagio said and then frowned slightly. Sonata must have been worried she would get hurt again, Adagio had to apologize. “Sonata, we want to apologize for how we treated you. We’ve realized that without you, we just aren’t as powerful. We would like you to come back to us.” Adagio whole heartedly apologized the best way she knew how.

Sonata couldn’t just go back to them but they were apologizing, sort of. Still, she needed to know she wouldn’t be betrayed again. Going back was worth it if it meant getting the chance to change her friends for the better. She worried Sunset wouldn’t like it but she didn’t have a choice. Fluttershy supported the decision, so why wouldn’t Sunset? Sonata had to speak with Sunset. Sonata made it very clear to Fluttershy after they got the text from Sunset.

Sonata and Fluttershy had just finished eating when Fluttershy asked a question that had been bothering her since they left the hospital. “Sonata, may I ask why you were so willing to come with us?” Fluttershy asked even though she was sure of the answer, she didn’t want to assume anything.

Sonata wrapped her arms around her body and gave a half smile. “It wasn’t a hard decision to make. While we were in the hospital, I felt that it was either leave or go to a mental institute alone and scared. After we left, I only stayed because I was scared. I thought the cops or the hospital would find me and take me away. I figured with friends, I might have a chance if they showed up.”

“You were scared, I get it.” Fluttershy stood up, walked over to Sonata, and hugged her tightly. “We won’t let you get hurt ok.”

Sonata nodded when Fluttershy’s phone buzzed. She pulled out her phone and looked at the message before handing the phone over to Sonata for her to read. An excited smile spread across Sonata’s face. “They are coming back, this is my chance Fluttershy. If they want me back, I can go and change them for the better. I can help them see what it’s like to really have friends like you.” Sonata jumped up and down excitedly.

“Oh, well sure, but you need to be careful. It would be easy if they wanted to change but if they don’t, they may hurt you again. You may even push them away like Sunset did with you. Her intentions were good but her actions were a bit misguided.” Fluttershy put a comforting hand on Sonata’s shoulder.

“I get it and if they really don’t want to change after a few days I guess I’ll leave. If they try to hurt me again, I’ll leave. I will come back to you girls no matter what happens. I’ve never felt like anyone has really cared about me until recently. I should also apologize to Sunset; she was just trying to help me find friends, true friends. I was just too angry with her to see it. I owe her and I don’t want to hurt her anymore.”

That’s how her night ended, with a possibility of hope and a bit of regret. “I will come back but you don’t get to hurt me again. I almost killed myself because of you and I still have the scars to prove it.” Sonata flashed her wrists so Adagio and Aria could see. The two looked away from Sonata’s wrists and stared at each other. “I know I’m not smart but I’m an equal part of the team and I expect to be treated as such.” Sonata pulled her arms close to her body and shivered a bit. By this time, the green mist had completely surrounded them. The only visible ones were Adagio, Sunset, and Sonata. Sonata turned to Sunset and whispered. “I have to go with them, I know they can change.”

Sunset shook her head with a smile and her hands on her hips. “I get Sonata; you have to help your friends.”

“Thank you.” Sonata hugged Sunset and then turned to face her friends.

Adagio frowned but wanted to smile as Aria went around ripping headphones off of the students head and singing quietly to them. Everything was going as planned but even better than anticipated. The kids around school would fall under their spell and the heroes wouldn’t even notice thanks to the thick green mist surrounding them. Everything was falling into place and even Sonata was willing to join them again with little convincing effort. “I agree completely Sonata and we never should have pushed you away. Whatever you want, you got it.” Adagio could only watch as Sonata ran over and hugged her. Adagio wanted to shove her off but that wouldn’t have been helpful. She just told Sonata that she never should have pushed her away; it wouldn’t help for her to do just that because of a hug. It was the same kind of pushing but it could have been seen by Sonata as such. “Great, now let’s do what we do best.”

“Hold on Sonata, you may not want to join them. I know what they did and you won’t like it.” Sunset was shaking due to nervousness. She really hoped she wasn’t about to push Sonata away again. There was also the possibility she was speaking up too soon. Everything came down to how well she could pull off this conversation.

“Yeah, no kidding. I’m sure all of you know what we did and so does Sonata. It’s why we apologized.” Adagio knew Sunset knew what they did to Sonata but she wanted to play with her a bit. She also knew what Sunset really meant and it worried her. She wasn’t sure how Sunset knew but she did. Adagio couldn’t let Sonata know it though. There would be questions and that wouldn’t do her or Aria any good. “Wait, I care about Aria again?” She wasn’t sure why but she did. Adagio shook her head so she could focus on the bigger problem. Not only would the secret affect them but Sonata would have to die and Adagio was being honest when she said that without Sonata, they weren’t as strong.

“Oh no, don’t you try and change the subject, you know what I meant.” Sunset looked to Sonata who had a look of confusion. “Sonata, just tell them to tell you what they did. Princess Twilight and Princess Celestia know what they did but they wouldn’t tell me. They wanted Adagio and Aria to explain it to you.” Sunset could see the anger in Adagio’s eyes. That furious look was all she needed to know that this was working. They did do something that Sonata wasn’t supposed to know about. Sunset was on the right track now, thanks to Twilight.

Sonata turned to Adagio who looked angry. Sonata didn’t want to just order Adagio around though, she was sure that if she asked, Adagio would tell her. “Adagio, what is she talking about, what did you do?” Sonata asked worriedly.

Adagio relaxed and smiled. She was in the clear for now; all she had to do was convince Sonata nothing was wrong. “Are you really going to believe them Sonata? They don’t deserve trust. They are our enemies, why wouldn’t they try to keep us apart?” Adagio wasn’t as in the clear as she thought she was when she heard the answer.

“They do deserve to be trusted; they saved me from going to a mental institution and from other things. They have been trying to be my friends. They have done quite a lot. I understand why you would be suspicious but they can be trusted. Please Adagio, tell me what happened. I won’t be mad if you just tell me. I’ll forgive you, please just tell me.” Sonata pleaded.

Adagio knew one thing; Sonata wouldn’t forgive them regardless of what Sonata said. She would lie and hope that it would fly. “Fine, if you trust them then fine but you will soon find it was stupid to. There is nothing we did that would hurt you, they’re just assuming. I can’t say that I blame them though. We hurt you once; we could have done it before too right?” Adagio said as a matter of fact.

Sonata backed away saddened. She knew Adagio well enough to know when she was lying or being truthful and this was not a truthful time. “You’re…you’re lying to me aren’t you?”

Adagio did a great job at feigning shock and hurt that Sonata didn’t trust her. It was so convincing, Sunset almost believed her. “You really trust them don’t you, they brainwashed you!?” Adagio pulled out a knife and ran over to Sunset ready to stab her through the chest when she heard Sonata yell at her to stop. Adagio stopped inches away from Sunset and shook slightly. After nearly being stabbed, Sunset couldn’t do more than shake. Adagio couldn’t kill Sunset, not right now at least. Sonata’s ranking kept Adagio at bay and it was frustrating but she wouldn’t let anyone know it. She turned to face Sonata, irritated. “What is it Sonata?”

For the first time being alive, she started to bark orders and it felt good. “You will leave her alone and tell me just what she meant Adagio. You owe me.” Adagio struggled but smiled when she saw Aria nervously singing in Sunsets ear.

Sunset could hear the continuous ringing of the sirens song in her ear. She couldn’t fall under the spell, she just couldn’t. The more she tried to focus, the harder it became to resist the song. She couldn’t obey the ones trying to hurt them, she had to resist. Despite her efforts, Sunset was failing and then the song stopped. Sunset found herself able to fight back. “Come on Sunset, screw what they tell you to do. Do what you need to do.” Still, it would take a little time to get her conscious back.

Adagio turned around and spun the knife around in her hand. “Fine, you win Sonata. I was really hoping it would never come to this. All well, I knew it was bound to happen eventually. Here’s the truth Sonata, it happened at the age of five.” Adagio stopped when Aria walked up next to her looking beat up. “What happened to you?”

“Never touch the DJ’s headphones.” Aria grabbed Adagio’s shirt and pulled her close. “NEVER TOUCH HER HEADPHONES! SHE DOESN’T LIKE IT!” Aria let go and walked away really freaked out.

Adagio pointed to Aria and Sonata shrugged. “Anyway, as I was saying.” Adagio wanted to keep her mouth shut but Sonata told her to spill the secret, she had to tell her. “It all started when Aria and I were five.” The mist was finally going away. “Our mothers were apart of a freedom group. It was small but strong; only a few wanted true freedom.” At this point, no one even noticed Twilight come out of the school; they were too focused on the story. If they had seen her though, they would see a very disappointed look. Twilight shook her head saddened by what Adagio thought to be real freedom. She also knew the whole truth behind the mark on Sonata’s neck. Twilight would have to tell Sonata eventually.

Adagio grew angry as she told the story but she kept her cool pretty well. “All they wanted was to be free from authority. All they had to do was kill one siren but it failed. At that time, no siren had ever attempted an assassination. Only one siren knew that the attack was pointless if our mothers were caught trying such an attempt. They were caught by said siren and then they were EXECUTED!” Adagio calmed down and continued. “Aria and I swore revenge on the siren but it took some years to do. We finally found a griffin willing to hunt the siren and kill her. Yes it’s true that there was a truce between the sirens and the griffin’s but there were mercenaries out there. We found said mercenary and sent him to execute her royal highness. I was ten but Aria was nine at the time and boy were we angry kids.”

“What does this have to do…with…me?” Sonata began to realize what Adagio was saying.

“You got it before I even finished the story, impressive but I’ll finish it anyway.” Adagio cleared her throat. “We had everything set up perfectly. With that in mind, once her highness was dead, we rescued the daughter and had her join us. With an all powerful siren on our side, we couldn’t lose.”

Adagio chuckled. “That mark on your neck is the royal family mark and all we had to do was keep it a secret from you until the time was right. All we had to do was wait for the mark to fade. It started to fade back in Equestria but it stayed there on your neck fading. We are still waiting. If you had known, we wouldn’t have a chance because if you haven’t noticed yet, the royal family has control of all sirens. For sirens, being royal is a birthright. There is no possibility of ascension like with Princess Twilight. That mark testifies to your rank and proves to everyone who you are and we didn’t want you to know about it too soon. We had to threaten other orphans to tell you that the mark wasn’t something they knew about. Sooner or later the mark would run out of it’s magical charm and you would be worthless to a point. You would still be known as a princess but you’re control over sirens would be gone. Granted you would still be more powerful than we could ever hope to be, so we would still keep you around. Just wish we would have had Equestria before it came to this. Now you have to die.” Adagio walked over to Sunset and handed her the knife.

The mist was clear enough now that everyone could be seen through it. The only person not there that they didn’t expect to see was Twilight. She had left some time ago thinking everything was going well. “Sunset Shimmer, you know what to do.”

Sunset walked toward Sonata who was now facing Sunset and Adagio. Sunsets movements were odd, they were jagged and strained. She could hear Adagio yelling at her but her focus was on Sonata. Sunset fought every step of the way toward Sonata who looked frightened. She raised the knife once she was within range and then did the unexpected. She slashed at her own ribs and snapped out of the trance she was in. Sunset cursed as she felt the sting of the knife. “How did you ever have the courage to slit both wrists Sonata?” Sunset yelled and grabbed onto her bleeding side and dropped the knife in the process.

Adagio wasn’t happy with this development. She ran over to Sunset and pushed her down before she did the same to Sonata. Adagio went over to Sunset and looked her straight in the eye. “You just have to be a hero, don’t you Sunny?” She kicked Sunset in the ribs where she had been cut. Sunset screamed out some curses while holding onto her ribs. Her side stung horribly and if she didn’t get some medical attention, she would bleed out. However, now wasn’t the time to think about it.

Adagio frowned and turned to Sonata. “So sorry it had to be this way Sonata. You know, I’m amazed your still shocked you stupid girl.” Adagio stepped on Sonata’s stomach and smiled. Adagio stomped on Sonata’s chest and then kicked her in the head. “Say hi to Tirek for us in the underworld would ya?” Adagio turned to Rainbow Dash who now had a rifle in her hand.

Sonata screamed out to Adagio who turned around to see Sonata flipping her off while yelling at her. “I am never going to be friends with you again, go rot in Tartarus!”

Adagio laughed at Sonata’s threat. “Rainbow, go ahead and kill her, she made her decision. It’s the last one she will ever make.” Unlike Sunset who had been able to resist the sirens song, Rainbow was under the sirens full control. Sunset saw this as Rainbow Dash raised the gun.

Being injured already; Sunset did the only thing she could think of. She jumped on top of Sonata as the sound of the gun went off. The bullet pierced through Sunsets shoulder and broke into fragments as it exit and entered Sonata. Sunset laid limp on Sonata. They were both bleeding horribly and Sonata was already about to black out. They could only hear laughing as Adagio and Aria walked off before Sonata closed her eyes. It wasn’t until Sunset was about to black out that an ambulance arrived.