• Published 12th Nov 2014
  • 2,266 Views, 48 Comments

Minty Image - mintgreenconspiracy



When Minty Christmas doesn't go as it normally would. A secret about Minty, G3 Rainbow Dash, and G3 Pinkie Pie comes out, that may very well change everything, forever.

  • ...
1
 48
 2,266

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2: It's time to get moving, it's time to get going, adventures always great

'This reminds me of the day I first met you!' Kimono's words continued to ring in her head. 'What did that darling Kimono mean?' Rainbow Dash asked, herself, struggling to get some sleep before the next day's adventure. 'I've always lived in Ponyville, ever since I was a newborn cutie. Pinkie, Scootaloo, Cherry Blossom, Toola-Roola, Cotton Candy, Cloud Climber, and I... No, wait! That can't be right! I didn't know Cloud Climber until last fall!' And why wouldn't these blasted un-rainbowy headaches stop? Even her super comfortable cloud/rainbow themed bed wasn't helping her sleep, which was unusual because she usually slept like a dream, after all the bed was, in fact, soft as a cloud!

After some very unfashionable and un-rainbowy tossing and turning, sleep finally came, sometime around three in the morning. Rainbow Dash finally managed to get to sleep, and started to dream.

********

'Oh I remember the day, that darling, Sweetie Belle first came to Ponyville!' She thought, nostalgically, about a pony she never met. 'Oh yes, such a rainbowy day.' She thought, listening to the sounds of the birds singing with glee about her dashingly beautiful scarf. And the sun was nice and warm, and, definitely, not hot! She stood inside the cardboard box, waiting for her cue. She would come out, in force, just as everyone readied their cameras. And then she would astound them all!

But instead, Rainbow Dash found herself running through a hallway. A gross green slime covered its walls. And what? Was she in a giant bee-hive? What was with all the combs? She was definitely in a hurry, for some reason, and Rainbow was never in a hurry! But there she was, running with all her might. She had to escape him! Who was him? And why did she need to elude him? And why was her box so entirely, utterly, non-dashing?

There it was! Her cue! And, on cue, she came busting out of the cardboard box, just as planned, to the exuberant fanfare by her crazed fans! Ok, she went a little overboard there, but these were, after all, her friends. She stood for a minute, striking poses.

What an excellent chance for her to show off her budding skills as a fashion designer. And she looked the part, complete with an exquisite design she came up with for her scarf! One that went so well with the rest of her colorful Yes! Very colorful ensemble! "Be sure to get my good side!" She said, launching into the rest of her giddy rant. "No, wait! They are both good sides!" She continued, feeling very proud of herself.

And her fans didn't let her down! Showering... her scarf... with praise. Thinking about it hurt her for a second, but the show must go on. And she was going to impress them yet! Her rainbow eyes, yes she did have rainbow eyes, glowing with a mixed pride. Yes, she would win them over, not just to her beautiful scarf, but to her beauty as well! Sadly the sky, which had been perfect until then, suddenly had other ideas.

"Quick into my playhouse!" Pinkie shouted, in fear, as torrential rains started.

"But my scarf!" She whined, as her chance to be beautiful flew, swiftly, away.

"Leave it!" Pinkie cried, as she grabbed the pony by the tail, and pulled her into --

She was in the hive again. That dreadful, un-rainbowy, hive. She didn't know why, but she had to hurry! There was no time to lose. If they wanted to hurt her, then they must also want to hurt someone close to her! No!

That word in her head, no it was much stronger then hurt... ki... What does that horrible word even mean? And who wanted to ki... hurt her? And where was she going? She just knew that someone, someone close to her, was in terrible trouble!

She swore this must have been the fifth, disgusting, dirty, slimy hallway she ran through. Why did she have the feeling she knew where she was going? So help her, if they so much as laid one hoof on either of them. She, herself, would make sure to finish them even if it was the absolute, last thing she did!

She had to get to her! To both of them, before it was too late! But who were they?

It rained, and rained, and rained some more, and when they thought it was going to finish! It continued! She stood sadly, watching her dreams get soggy, while her friends watched with boredom. What had she done to deserve this? As she watched, helplessly, the rain finally came to a slow stop. Maybe she could recover the remnants her scarf and her pride.

As she was preparing to go out, the most amazing thing occurred: two fully developed rainbows came out at once, even in G3, this would be unusual. And as the rainbows started to converge, something began to come into being!

Instead of the miracle of life, she stood facing someone angrily. "What have you done to her!!!" She screamed, at the ugly, unfashionable bug pony in front of her. Listening to a small voice wheezing, and struggling to breathe. "Fix her right now or I'll!!!" She said to the bug pony. "I'll make you pay!!! So help me, Faust!!!"

Who was Faust? And why was she yelling at a bug pony? A bug pony that, oddly enough, looked nothing like a Breezie. And who was this young foal she heard wheezing in pain?

The creature before her looked funny. Definitely pony, but also very feline, complete with whiskers. And very old by the appearance. She also looked like she didn't give one thought about Rainbow's complaints, or threats.

"You'll do what? You are talking to Belladonna, one of the four great assassins of the hive. And for hive unity, this foal is to, well -- " she grinned, her pupils distorting into slits, purring a little at the thought. "My witching potion has increased my power, and is now a similar potion is sapping hers! It'll just be a matter of time," she said, dodging an attack from the infuriated Dash. "The queen will think it was malnutrition. Something not uncommon in a hive starved for love," she finished, hissing a little bit as she grew to two or three times her size, in an instant.

"But enough of this tete-au-tete, you have been declared an enemy of hive order, and I plan to do something about that!" She exclaimed, starting her attack, confident in her ability to beat her opponent! She must have been a blowhard because she proceeded to blow out a whirlwind.

Too bad Rainbow Dash was ready and waiting for that moment! At least, she got the strong feeling she was!

And at that moment, she was back to seeing the rainbows converge. As the two rainbows converged in the sky, a light began to glow from between them. And inside a cloud of magic, a form began to take shape. It was most undoubtedly equine, and it had a bump on its head! No a horn! It had a horn! That could only mean that it was a unicorn! She was, however, terribly displeased that it was getting the attention and not her! Her dreams were now rotting in between her hoofs, the star: her scarf a mess, and her 'spectacularific fashion party' a forgotten concept.

All the coos and caws, that, came out of everyone just made it worse! This fashion show was her chance! Her opportunity to shine! Her shot to demonstrate, whatever it was she was supposed to be demonstrating, gone! How dare this... this... this... Sweetie Belle make a mockery of her. She would give Sweetie a piece of her mind.

Except it wasn't Sweetie Belle, instead, a strange looking pony stood before her cooing on the ground!

And like that she was back in that beehive again. And she was standing there, proud of herself. 'So much for the all mighty assassin of the south: Belladonna!' She thought, as her adversary now stood, hissing and whining, with her head stuck in the wall. Alas, she would be out soon. And if she and the other got together, it would spell real trouble. But first, she needed to help, Minty!

Wait? Is the foal is Minty? And who else is in trouble? Why does she think someone else is in trouble?

That foal, before her, couldn't be Minty, could it? It didn't look like Minty; it was a spooky bug pony, and a pretty ugly and unfashionable one, too. And yet it was! She was! And she was! NO!!! She had to do something! But what!? "Princess stay with me!!!!"

********

Rainbow awoke with a start. The face of that poor baby bug pony! She looked just like Minty does now! She was panting and trying to cry! But she couldn't! "Oh, Minty! We have to do something for you, darling, we need to find these al...al... alicorns before it's too late!" She whined, having trouble separating her fevered nightmare from reality.

"I suppose I shan't do much more sleeping, darlings," Rainbow said. 'It's about eight, or nine anyway. I need to get Pinkie, Wysteria, and Star Catcher. We mustn't waste time. The longer we wait, the harder things are going to be for everyone.' She thought, gulping slightly.

Rainbow Dash didn't leave Ponyville much, especially not on adventures. The most adventurous she got was her off-again-on-again hobby of riding rainbows, with the occasional balloon ride in there for good measure.

First, she would stop by Pinkie's, then Kimono's and she would meet Wysteria along the way. The darling was always tending the castle flower beds at this time of day. And keeping busy was a great way to keep oneself from getting sad or melancholy, that kind of thing led to early wrinkles! And she didn't want to look like her mother -- at least not yet!

"Rainbows wait for no one, darling," she said to herself, as she closed her door, they didn't lock those things in G3, they never figured out why! "Shall I be on my way?"

"Sup Rainbow?" Asked a smiling Sunny Daze. "Kimono fix Mints up or she still feeling bad?" Sunny asked, sympathetically.

"The poor darling still isn't feeling much better. And it looks like we are going on an adventure to find some place called 'Canterlot' to get ingredients, darling," Rainbow responded, valiantly preventing herself from choking on the word 'adventure.'

"I'm sorry to hear that," Sunny said with a sigh. "I had hoped that she would be feeling better, especially after seeing Kimono," Sunny said, looking off into the distance, remembering something. "Especially how she helped you, Pinkie, and Mints when you first showed up into town."

Rainbow responded, with a puzzled look. She had always been here in Ponyville; she had even had a dream last night about one of her adventures as a newborn cutie, at least between all that un-rainbowy, icky bug pony stuff.

"Walk with me darling, I need to fetch Pinkie and Wysteria, and I'm hoping to catch up with Star Catcher before she and the other Pegasus Ponies leave," Rainbow said, with a nervous smile. "And I could use a darling friend with a sunny outlook. No pun intended darling."

"Sure thing Dash!" Sunny responded. "I was hoping someone else was up, but most of the others are sleeping in after last night. Bummer!" Sunny continued. "I wanted to go skating, or maybe get into a snow sled! I had so many bodacious ideas to try!"

"I'm sorry to interrupt you, darling, but I'm curious: why are you up? I know why I am, but wouldn't you prefer to be in bed?"

"Nah Dash! Sleep is good, and all, but the sun's my thing. And fun in the sun is my gift," Sunny responded. "You seem nervous though, Dash, what's up?"

"Well my darling friend, it's Minty, she's got me worried stiff. And I've been having nightmares to boot."

"Wow dash! Didn't think you got those," Sunny responded. "And I certainly didn't think one'd get to you," she continued, with a wink. "You are normally the like second or third most level-headed person we have here. Guess that whole Minty thing is getting to you. My advice though is just to keep cool. It'll all blow over eventually," said the pony who holds the most records for pony summersaults.

"Sorry about that, darling," Rainbow said, apologetically. "I shall try harder. Now, where could Wysteria be at this hour? She is usually up rain, shine, or high water for her flowers, sometimes literally, darling," Rainbow said, with curiosity. "I hope she's all right!"

"Don't know dash, maybe she slept in, today? Or maybe she's sick? You should ask around if you need her that much, Dash."

"So tell me, darling?" Rainbow asked as she started to leave the surfer mare behind. "What did Kimono do for us when we first got into town?"

"Don't you remember Dash? You were all like sick, and junk. And Pinks and Mintee were barely breathing? Then Kimono did something, and the next day you guys were looking totally awesome!" Sunny said, her voice growing faint.

********

"Pinkie Pie! It's today!" Rainbow called out, as she stood over Pinkie's bed, to the sleeping pony. Who promptly sat up, dropping the Ragetty-Anne doll she was holding, yes they had those in G3, just watch StarSong and The Magic Dancing Shoes if you don't believe me.

"Rainbow," she said, with a yawn. "I know this trip to Canterlot is important to you, but shouldn't we wait until we are less tired?" She said, her smile eternally glued to her face. "I mean you might fall asleep and we might get lost," she said, sarcastically, with a laugh. "And I don't think getting lost will help Minty at all!" She said, dropping her smile for a second, and putting on a serious expression.

"No, and you are fully right darling. I, myself, would normally advise the same, but we don't know how long this trip will take. And remember we have two nights of medicine, including tonight. And then on the third night... Do you understand me, darling?"

"Yeah, I suppose," Pinkie said with hesitation, she felt this was a foolish move, and it probably was, but desperate times call for desperate measures. "But I really, really, don't think this is a good plan. We're both exhausted. I mean how can we guide a balloon if we are tired?" She said, frankly.

"Now darling, we need to be on our way. We need to get Minty from Kimono's place, and I still have to locate Wysteria and Star Catcher!" Rainbow replied.

********

"Kimono darling, could you come out here please?" Rainbow asked.

A very bedraggled, and shaggy Kimono came out under the Rotunda. Her mane messy, and her eyelids drooping.

"Hello, I trust you slept well?" She asked. "And that you are here to pick up my friend Minty?"

"Darling, any word on Alicorn feathers, or Heart's desire?" Rainbow asked, eagerly awaiting a positive response.

Instead the 'Wisest Pony in the Land' looked away, with a sorrowful expression, biting her lip for a minute before speaking. "No, I'm sorry Rainbow Dash. The ingredients remain a mystery to me. Despite looking through every book in our library, as well as Storybelle's story loft too, though she didn't seem to be happy about being woken up at two in the morning so that I could snoop through her books, I suppose, " Kimono replied, with a sigh. "I have been watching our dear, dear, friend Minty. And I can say that I've done all I can without more potion."

"Of course, darling. Have you seen Wysteria, she wasn't tending her flowers this morning. Something she's always done, even if dead on her feet. After all, the flowers were her friends, and flowers, like friendships, require love and attention, darling! And I'm starting to worry."

"No, I'm sorry, dear Rainbow Dash. I have not! Perhaps?" Kimono started saying before she was interrupted by a screaming barely coherent Daisyjo bursting into the room.

After a couple of attempts to get her words out, Daisyjo finally managed to get out some, barely coherent, words. "Oh Kimono, thank goodness your awake! I went to see Wysteria, and she's feeling dreadful. She tried to take off Spike's flower this morning, she wore it the day before in honor of Christmas, and now it won't come off!" Daisyjo cried, almost incoherently. "First Minty now Wysteria!!!" She wailed.

"Relax, my friend. Recall you've had scares before," she said, recalling the time where she and Rainbow Dash had helped the poor pony the last time she had a scare in her garden. They forget what it was that she saw, but it most certainly wasn't the monster she thought it was! "We will deal with it together! Tell me other than her most precious flower being stuck in her hair, what else is she experiencing?" Kimono said, reassuringly.

"Oh Kimono, she's got a terrible bump forming on her head, like she had hit it on a lamp or something. And she's got rock hard cramps in her side, just above her arms," Daisyjo replied, trying to avoid getting frantic.

"Hmm! Let me take a look at her," Kimono replied, in her most serene voice. "Sadly there shall be no sleep for me this morning," she said to herself, as quietly as she could. "Once again, my help is needed!"

"Rainbow! Pinkie! Feel free to take my friend, Minty, with you. I put her in your able hands," Kimono, continued, with a calm, almost meditative smile.

"I'm sorry, darlings, but I need Wysteria. We simply must have somebody that understands flowers. And the Breezies are hibernating till spring," Rainbow protested, sternly. She knew she had a friend to help, and she needed someone who knew flowers, and flowers were Wysteria's thing.

"I'm sorry Rainbow, but she can't possibly make it. She might not even -- " Daisyjo started to sob, again. Before apologizing repetitively.

"Nonsense, darling! I'm sure she'll be fine!" Rainbow said, reassuringly, putting her hoof on the sobbing ponies shoulder. "But maybe you or Desert Rose could help? Or maybe Desert Blossom or?"

"I'm sorry Rainbow, but I'm certain the only one, if anyone at all, that would know anything about this Heart's desire is Wysteria. Except, maybe, Spike. But he's gone until after Christmas," Daisyjo replied, apologetically, sobbing, slightly, when she mentioned her friend. "AND WYSTERIA!!!!" She started weeping again, at the mere mention of the name.

Rainbow Dash, sighed slightly on the inside, a lady doesn't sigh, after all. She would have to do without Wysteria's guidance. "Pinkie, be a darling, darling. And help me get minty out into the basket of the balloon, darling! Carefully!" Rainbow said, cautiously. "I want to take a minute to see if I can find our darling friend, Star Catcher, darling."

********

Pinkie decided to get some sleep while waiting for Rainbow to return. She did eventually get to sleep; but not for long! As Rainbow shortly returned.

********

"So, Rainbow, you feeling better?" Pinkie asked, with a laugh. "I bet Star Catcher's on her way right now!"

"It looks like that darling isn't coming either. No one has seen her since last night!" Rainbow said, looking away, decidedly melancholy.

"Oh Rainbow!" Pinkie said, sympathetically, remaining, as always, the eternal optimist. "There are other Pegasus ponies: Thistle Whistle, Cloud Climber, Coconut Grove, even Honolu-Loo. We'll figure out something!" She said, trying to reassure her friend.

"None of them have the nerve darling. Remember the darlings are shy. And without Star Catcher, they just don't have the heart, darling," Rainbow replied, looking somber. "They refuse to leave town without Star Catcher. Plus they all want to help Sky Wishes, that poor darling. She's worried sick for her darling friend's safety, darling."

"Well, maybe we could wait for a while?" Pinkie replied, sitting on her haunches, her legs sticking out, and her hoof planted firmly on her lower lip. With her head tipped in a contemplative direction. "I mean if we wait maybe she'll show up, or maybe Kimono can find a way to get Spike's flower out of Wysteria's hair?"

"Darling. There's just no time!!!" Rainbow replied sternly, before hopping into the balloon. "We don't know how long it will take to get to this Canterlot, and we only have two more nights of potion, including tonight. We mustn't wait any longer, especially considering that starting at night would be quite dangerous," Rainbow cautioned. "Remember Minty's flight last night?"

"Ok!" Pinkie said, uneasily. "But don't blame me if we get in trouble," she said to herself, as silently as she could, as she hopped into the balloon, and helped Rainbow release the moorings.

********

The trip started, well enough. North to the site of last night's catastrophe, and then through the hole in the sky! Don't worry, though, no one blames Minty for destroying the sky! And then, afterward, towards the 'spooky evil-wizardie crystally place' till they almost reached it. Followed by a sharp turn right.

********

After a non-eventful start. Shall we see what our G3 friends are doing?

Yes, we can!

********

"Do you have any three's?" Asked Pinkie to a very groggy looking Rainbow Dash, sitting on the other side of the basket, keeping one eye on her deck, one and one eye on Minty.

"No, darling. Go fish," Rainbow replied, looking grumpy. "Hopefully we will reach this Canterlot soon. I'm getting tired of these games of 'Go Fish!' darling," Rainbow said, looking over the side of the basket for a second. It was good they picked the biggest balloon in Ponyville because they would be doing a lot of sitting. The balloon they sat in was normally able to seat up to four comfortably, just watch Twinkle Wish Adventure. "Judging by the distance to the southward turn, I should guess, if we maintain this course we should reach this Canterlot tomorrow afternoon," Rainbow replied, to an unasked question from her pink companion.

"Well, I thought I was having a lot of fun," Pinkie replied with a chuckle. "Besides Rainbow, if you need I can always do a squink to find out our next activity!" She said, with levity in her voice.

"No darling, let's save your squinks for later. You know how much a true squink takes out of you, darling. And we're talking a full-on, Lady Bug Jamboree squink, not some stupid, implied, weak sauce Princess Promenade or World's Largest Tea Party squink either! And we want to have it if we need it," she said, sighing. "I hope we get there soon," Rainbow said, with another sigh. "Do you have any Sevens?"

"Hmm," Pinkie said, observing her hand. Followed, by her lifting a card, and then putting it back in. "Oh, this one is the one! I feel it!!!" Pinkie said, looking at the card. "Oh nope," she said, with an innocent smile. "Go Fish!"

"How unfortunate," Rainbow Dash replied, with a sigh.

********

"I don't get it, Pinkie, darling. None of the stars are where they are supposed to be, and none of these constellations make any sense at all. Orion should be over there, and Virgo over there. And they are both gone. And the North Star is just plain gone! Darling," Rainbow said, looking exasperated. "How are we supposed to readjust our route without the compass stars, darling?"

Pinkie sat there for a second, resuming her thinking pose, sitting on her haunches, her legs expanded out straight, parallel to the ground; her forearms and cannons were facing upwards, with the bottom of her hoof touching her lower chin; and her head tilted slightly to the side. "I know this sounds crazy, but maybe we are near the south pole? Have you checked for the Southern Cross?" Pinkie replied, inquisitively.

"Good thought, darling, but the map shows that spooky chrystally, un-rainbowy, place in the northeast corner of the map. So most likely we aren't in the southern hemisphere, and even if we were," she trailed off, looking at the sky. "The Southern Cross is gone too," Rainbow continued, with an exasperated sigh. "We'll have to be careful the wind doesn't shift our path and hope that we get there promptly," she said, her face showing a little worry.

"You don't suppose we will run into any really real for real pegasus ponies out here do you, Rainbow Dash?" Pinkie asked.

"I doubt we will, Pinkie, darling; you know how shy they are! And this is a long way from Butterfly Island," she continued with a sigh, looking at their sleeping mint color friend. Before going back to searching the stars. She was quickly interrupted by a frightened Pinkie.

"Oh Rainbow! Look at Minty. She's gasping again," she said, feeling her friend forehead. "And she's burning up," Pinkie continued, her countenance dropping sharply.

However, her spirits quickly returned. "The medicine! She needs her next dose!" Pinkie said, her smile returning. "Don't worry Minty we'll fix you right up."

"Darling, please drink some Kimono's potion," Rainbow said, giving the next dose to her friend.

The results were almost immediate. Upon drinking, Minty's temperature started returning to normal, and her breathing started to become less labored.

"And this, dear Pinkie is why I need to know how to find our way to Canterlot, darling!" Rainbow said to her friend.

"Thanks again guys," The mint pony said, finally chiming in. "I was feeling really, super, awful there for a second.

"No worries, darling. Now please go back to sleep. You need your energy. And Pinkie and I will be looking for this Canterlot."

********

"Pinkie, darling! I think I should take the first watch darling. Then I'll wake you up when it's time to switch," Rainbow said, to a currently yawning Pinkie Pie. She didn't know why she did. But it just didn't seem right that her friend would do this while she was tired. Of course, Rainbow wasn't ready to sleep just yet after last night's nightmare.

"Soon enough, we should be starting to see a giant mountain. That should be our final destination," Rainbow said, yawning fully. "Maybe I shouldn't have taken the first watch! It just seemed wrong for a growing person, like that darling, Pinkie, to be taking the first watch."

Rainbow kept a vigilant watch, over the balloon as it slowly passed through the skies on its way to Canterlot. After a few hours though, she began to get groggy. "Darn it! I wish I had brought more of my things. Maybe some nice tea," she said, battling drowsiness unsuccessfully!

********

"It's today!" She said as she got up from her rainbow bed, in a start. "I simply have to get out there and get the others!" She continued to herself, grabbing her scarf in a hurry. "I need to get Scootaloo, Cheerilee, Star Song, Sweetie Belle, and of course, Toola-Roola. Today is Pinkie's birthday!" She said, rushing out the door in a hurry. She would Rush to Scootaloo's place, then Star Song's, and hopefully meet the others before Pinkie wakes up!

She ran out the door, shutting it behind her as she left.

"Tell me, doctor, am I crazy? Is it time?" She asked, panting slightly, of an older pegasus stallion, whose dark brown hair had grayed along with his light brown coat over time.

"Yes, it would, quite, appear to be. Don't ponies normally tell by instinct, though?" He asked, smiling a little at his wit.

"Hardy har har Doctor!" She exclaimed, the obvious reality, of the situation, becoming more obvious. "Remind me? Whatever did I see in you?" She asked.

"Perhaps, it was my wit? Or maybe my good looks," he said, coughing a little. The old stallion wasn't in the shape he used to be. "So why that shape?" He asked.

'What other shape is there?' thought Rainbow Dash to herself. 'And what does he mean? And why do I feel I should know him?'

"Scootaloo! Wake up! It's today!" She said, shouting in her friend's window. The dear always tended to oversleep. "We have to hurry! Pinkie Pie wakes up shortly after the sun! And we need to hurry if we are going to be the ones to wake her!"

"Oh, come-on Dash! It's not like she's going to be any less surprised!" Scootaloo replied with a chuckle. She always had an attitude ever since they were very young, her sister, meanwhile, was eternally polite, and pleasant.

Dash stood out there, her patience thinning, just before she heard a voice at the door. "Don't worry Dash, here I am!" She said, with a chuckle; the other thing besides her attitude that she was known for.

"Thank goodness; we have to hurry!" She said as she started off. Scootaloo proceeded to start galloping ahead, as she frequently did, though sometimes she used a motorized scooter to scoot ahead of them, but not today.

She had a sense that she was glad that she didn't experience, whatever it was, that she just went through. She could tell that her mane was a mess, and she didn't even want to look down at her beautiful tail. "Was it supposed to be this hard doctor?"

"Well, my lady, it normally is," The old stallion said, with a chuckle. "I guess that's why most of your kind are born from eggs! It's much easier!!" He said, laughing at his joke before he broke into another coughing fit.

"Don't leave me in suspense, doctor. Let me see the bundle of joy!" She said to the older stallion wearing a dapper suit and tie.

She walked up slowly to her friend's bed, Scootaloo trailing behind. "Remember Scootaloo; we want to wake StarSong gently. You know how sweet she is!" Rainbow said to her friend, who was fighting a mischievous grin.

"StarSong: It's today," she said, softly as she could, to her lightly sleeping friend; who sat up slowly. "Remember it's Pinkie Pie's special day, and we all wanted to surprise her! And you promised her a song!" She said to the purple pegasus.

"Oh, course Rainbow Dash! I love to sing!" she said, doing a pirouette in the air. "We should get going though. Pinkie always gets up with the sun, and that means we don't have much time!" StarSong said, with a gleaming smile.

"Remember, we'll meet Sweetie Belle, Toola-Roola, and Cheerilee outside of Pinkie's house!"

"Oh my lady, your late husband, Bubble Burst, would be so pleased!" The elderly 'doctor' said with glee. "It's a girl! your line is secure!" He said, holding back both pride and jealousy. "You know, I always hoped that it would be the two of us, but sadly nature decided otherwise," he said, looking away.

"And I bet you thought it couldn't happen," she said with a grin at the stallion. "But as you can see, even nature can be tricked, if necessary," she explained looking at the 'doctor' standing there blushing. "Well, do be a darling, and bring her up to where I can see her!"

"Pink. Pink. And more Pink!" Pinkie said, talking to herself in her sleep.

"Pinkie Pie!" Said Rainbow Dash, tapping her friend on the shoulder. "It's today!"

"Pink?" Asked Pinkie in surprise, what was everyone doing in her room? "What are you doing in my room Rainbow Dash?"

"We're here to help you celebrate, of course!" She replied. "Because Pinkie Pie! It's your special day!" She said, as a rainbow slowly crept through the room.

"Well here you go, my lady. I hope you are proud!" The doctor said handing a small new-born cutie over to her.

The foal she gently held against her barrel was the spitting image of a new-born cutie Pinkie, except for the fangs, the tiny shriveled wings, and the itty-bitty horn. 'Pinkie? Wait why am I holding baby Pinkie? If that's baby Pinkie, then who am I?' Rainbow thought, her dream once again turning to the weird. "Doctor, could you do me a favor, darling, and let me see myself and my foal in that mirror?" She asked the doctor happily obliged, rolling over a large, Elizabethan mirror.

Sadly Rainbow didn't like what she saw.

********

"I'm mama Pie?!?!?!?!?!"

********

"YAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!" She woke up screaming, something she, customarily, tried to avoid at all costs, as a lady doesn't scream!

"Oh, darling! I had the most, un-dashing, un-rainbowy dream imaginable?" Rainbow replied, shivering a little at her last fright!

"Let me guess," Pinkie said, her voice getting suddenly deeper, and a lot more serious. "You dreamt you were mama Pie?" She, continued, only slightly miffed.

"Sorry about that Darling!" Rainbow said, apologetically. "I've been having nightmares since the accident, darling. Weird, bizarre, nonsensical dreams. Ones that always end up with me waking up in a fright."

"Oh Rainbow!" Pinkie said, her chuckle restored. "Remember what I learned from my nightmares: 'No matter how bad a dream you are having, your friends will always be there in the morning!' And we'll figure out something. Minty will be fine!" She said, trying to restore her friend's spirit.

"Oh, of course, Darling!" Rainbow said with a half-hearted smile. "Of course!"

********

"Now let me see, darling. How long did I sleep?" Rainbow said trying to examine the position of the moon and the stars.

"All night long, more or less." Pinkie said with an innocent smile.

"Darling, why didn't you wake me?" Rainbow said, trying to avoid sounding as miffed as she was.

"Well because I woke up shortly after you went to sleep, and I figure we didn't stray very far, because I was watching the balloon, and I figured I could keep track of it too. I wasn't very sleepy anyway," she said, hiding a yawn.

"Darling, you know that isn't true. And how can we be sure we are still heading the right direction? I mean the darling stars don't seem to know where they are supposed to be, darling. And tonight's our last night of potion!" Rainbow said, starting to sound very miffed.

Below, Rainbow started to hear a whimpering.

"I'm sorry guys. I messed you guys up and broke the sky, and caused us to miss Christmas!!! And now you guys hate each other!!!"

"Oh, Minty," Pinkie said with a chuckle. "Don't worry, you, and the sky will be fine! And think of it as an adventure," she said, giggling slightly. "Besides, no one can stay angry at me for very long!" She said, with a playful chuckle.

"Besides, if we weren't helping you, we would never see the desert or that cloud city," Pinkie said, continuing her pep talk, with a reassuring smile.

"C.C.C.C.C.C.C.LOUD CITY?! DESERT!?" Rainbow said, her face suddenly losing its blue colors. "Let me see!" Rainbow said, looking over the side of the basket. "Darlings that's not good. We've been traveling all day, and we missed Canterlot completely. How did we even miss it darlings, it's a huge mountain?" Rainbow said, looking trepid.

"Oh, that? Super large mountain? Giant castly thing?" Minty asked, smiling. "Yeah, I could see it from here. We passed right by it last night, while you both were asleep."

"MINTY!!!!" Both Rainbow and Pinkie said, raising their voices. Before Pinkie, fighting against all emotion and common sense, spit out a smile.

"Yeah, Minty," Pinkie said, with a sarcastic overtone. "That was kind of where we were going," she said, with her signature chuckle. "And we, kind of, missed it!"

"OOOOHHHHHHH!!!!! But we can find it again? Can't we?" Minty asked the other two ponies innocently.

"I think so, darling," Rainbow replied. "Judging the location of the desert and La... Loss Peg-a-sus. We want to head that way," she remarked, pointing her hoof out the basket towards the northeast. "Then we'll cut north towards the center of this large forest, right here, and we should reach Canterlot, just in time!" Rainbow said, wiping her brow with her hoof, as she stood on her back hooves, with her front hooves squishing to hold the map tightly.

********

Once again, the journey continued, uneventfully, except for a run-in with a local weather patrol, who immediately fled the other direction when they saw the G3 ponies coming, screaming something about dinosaurs, mutants, or changelings, or was it all three? Pegasus ponies are shy after all, darling!

Shall we see what they are doing now?

YES, WE CAN!!!

********

"Behold, darling, a full house!" Rainbow said, with a smile: she would finally get the first rainbow berry slice come The First Rainbow of the Season!

"Oh dear, but Mama Pie said poker was a mean game, and that I should never play it!" Pinkie said, looking cheesed because she wanted that slice of pie!

"Yes, darling, but if we play another rousing game of Go Fish, you will be fishing for the deck over the side of the basket, darling!" Rainbow replied, her forearms, cannons, and hooves folded, crisscross applesauce.

********

"How's Minty holding out?" Rainbow asked, hoping she would look better tonight than last night.

"Still broken," Pinkie replied. "It's just about time for her potion," she said, grabbing the potion; as right on time, their passenger's symptoms returned.

"Quick Minty drink up!" Pinkie said. "I'll make you feel better."

"Thanks, guys! But how much longer are we going to be up here?" Their passenger asked getting stir crazy.

"Well, darling, if all goes well. Tomorrow morning we will be over this massive forest on the map. Then it's a straight shot to Canterlot. And we should arrive with time to spare.

"Oh good!" Pinkie said, smiling.

"But remember darling. We need to make sure to take our shifts. This time, I suppose I should sleep first. Then we'll switch," Rainbow said, this time, her hoof was on her lower jaw.

"Makes sense to me!" Pinkie said, smiling again, giggling only slightly.

********

"Oh, such a dashing day!" She said to herself, impressed with next week's look. "I always want my outfits, fun and new," she said to herself, with a chuckle.

Course she had another reason to be chipper: "I hope my friends remembered my special day! And that they got me specialarific new outfits!" She said to herself, giddy at the thought.

"I need to find something extra dashing to wear!" She said to herself, looking through her store. "Wow! That bow will be simply dashing in my hair! That way I'll look my best when Pinkie and the others come to wish me the best on my special day!" She said, filled with glee. Wait, didn't Razzaroo normally do the parties? And what about the birthday book? And why was she saying silly things like 'specialarific'?

At that point, as she was still admiring herself in the mirror; whom should come in, but her old friend Cheerilee! And she looked extra especially happy today!

"Wow!!! Cute bow!!!" she said, with a smile. After all, it was a dashing bow! Why? Well, because she chose it, after all! "There's a huge package for you in the center of town! it's from Paris, you know, in France!" She said, standing up on her back hooves, with her barrel at a ninety-degree angle to her legs, waving her arms. "You should, really, come to pick it up!"

Of course, Rainbow barely heard this as she was already halfway out the door. 'Wow!' Rainbow thought, smiling ear to ear. 'Someone must like me if they're getting me fashion from the fashion capital of the world!!! Or at least Europe, or so I've been told!' She continued thinking, her smile growing. 'I should see!' She thought, rushing out to the town square; unaware of the bow, which flew out of her hair, on the way out.

"Another delightful day in the wastelands," she suddenly found herself saying, with a sigh. "Nothing much ever happens, and nothing probably will," she said, trailing off. A dragon's wing suddenly appeared around her to deflect an errant sowing needle. Someone was trying to end her with fashion!

"Show yourself!" She said, filled with outrage.

"Too bad it wouldn't matter! You won't be able to see me anyway," a voice said from somewhere. "Good thing, I used to be a Praetorian Guard," the voice continued. "Otherwise, I might be concerned about facing 'Lady Rainbow' also known as the Rainbow of Darkness, The Black Rainbow, and The Rainbow of Doom!"

Suddenly a whirlwind was raised from somewhere deflecting another needle.

"Yes, too bad indeed," she said, with a smirk, or at least that's what she thought. "Too bad royalty can see Praetorian guards! Now show yourself, or I'm going to show you for you!"

A shower of needles came from all directions. But once again, a pair of large eagle wings blew them away. "I'm warning you! I don't know who you are, assassin, or who sent you, but I don't like somepony threatening my family or me!"

"Too bad, I always liked you! But I've been paid fabulously to get rid of you!" The assassin said, revealing his male voice: the pony that had been hunting her was, actually, a stallion!

"Tell me; it was the princess wasn't it?" She asked. Princess? Does my voice mean like Wysteria? But why would Wysteria want to hurt her? No! It wasn't Wysteria, but who could she, possibly, be talking about?

"You'll wish it was Celestia!" The voice hissed, as a shower of needles sent her underground. Did she just have dog paws? "Phytolacca is the name, by the way. It doesn't matter, though, because you'll never last long to remember it," he said, smirking as another shower of needles came within inches of her body. Did she just shrink for a second?

"It's time to end this!" The stallion suddenly became visible. Why, then, did she get the sense that, to anyone else, he would be invisible?

As she approached the box, she heard it giggling. 'Oh, I just know where this is going!' She thought to herself, with a mischievous smile. "It's giggling!" She said, herself giggling slightly, waiting for the inevitable.

And they didn't disappoint! Her friends came pouring out of the box. With joyful wishes for her 'special day'! Also known as 'Birthday,' in some countries. Star Song, doing mid-air summersaults with joy. Wait where was Minty? Where was Razzaroo? The birthday book? Sunny Daze? Sparkleworks? Wysteria?

Pinkie showered her, her style, fashion, and flare with words of encouragement, and then brought the most beautiful rainbow out of the box with a gesture.

This stallion, Phytolacca, was planning an attack, and she could tell it was a doozy! Too bad, she was just a little too fast for him, or rather she had, most likely, worn him down a little. And a bolt of lightning came out of nowhere, making the air stink of something un-rainbowy.

"So glad, you're alive!" She said, her vision changing a little like her pupils were narrowing. "What are you aiming for, nave?"

"Oh, I'd love to tell you, except that for hive unity I've been paid to, how shall I say this, remove you from the hive!" He said, smiling, despite the hoof now firmly planted on his throat.

"If you try to hurt me, or my family ever again! I will! I will!!! Well, I don't want to say!!!" She said, frowning mightily.

He just smirked. "No! THE PRINCESS!!!! MY DAUGHTER!!!!" Her stars!!! What was she talking about? She needed a look in the mirror.

Only a beautiful, fashionable, elegant pony wasn't staring back. Instead, standing before Rainbow Dash was an ugly, unfashionable, un-rainbowy, nasty, horrible, reprehensible bug pony!

********

"AIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" She woke up with a start. What a dreadful nightmare!

"Oh yeah! Glad you could join us!" Pinkie said, giggling at her own sarcasm. "The nasty mean clouds from Christmas? Yeah, they, kind of, decided to go pay us a visit!" Pinkie said, getting suddenly more serious. "They came in when we started flying over that forest you pointed out on the map. I'm not really sure why, though."

"I can't talk now, darling. I need to prevent this balloon from being popped by those spooky spiky clouds, darling!" Rainbow said, replying to a question that she hadn't been asked, yet.

"Yeah Rainbow, please try to avoid those branches! Those trees think we are the kind of fun balloon you wanna pop!" Pinkie said, cautioning Rainbow.

"Can't talk now, darling! The branches are trying to rip us out of the sky!"

"Hey, guys? What's the problem?" Minty asked, now awake again. "I'm sure everything is fine. Just a little further, and we'll be in Canterlot, and Santa will be there, and, did someone hear hissing?"

"AIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!"

PreviousChapters Next