• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 3,794 Views, 114 Comments

Persona 4: Return to Inaba - unleashedtwilight



Time had passed for the hero Yu Narukami, and it was already summer vacation. He remembered making a promise to all of his friends in Inaba that he would visit them whenever he got the chance. But the fog of lies do not simply fade away in one world.

  • ...
9
 114
 3,794

Not Exactly The Same

July 10th, 2012
Evening
Cloudy

To my best friends… Our time together has been great, but you all know the truth: and the truth is that I don’t truly belong here. I wish there was an easier way to say this, but I’m going back to my life in Equestria. Believe me if things were different, I would gladly stay with you all. You’ve all taught me so much about friendship. But there are ponies in Equestria that I have to apologise to… ponies that I’ve hurt and I think about it almost every night. This isn’t goodbye forever though. Now that Twilight has figured out a way to keep the portal open, I’ll be able to visit you whenever I want to. I’ll be leaving my book here with you so that we can keep in contact. Just promise me that you’ll be careful with it. Again, don’t think of this as goodbye forever… it’s just goodbye until next time. I love all of you so much… and I’m going to miss all of you...

Your friend,

Sunset Shimmer

P.S.

I’ll be sure to let Princess Twilight know that you said hello.

Sunset Shimmer put the pen and note down in mid tears on her desk in homeroom, grabbed her things and made her way to the statue. “Damn it, I forgot something…” She sighed and got in her car to get back to her house. Nobody else really lived there. It was just her, and it got really lonely for a while. Of course, ever since the events at the Fall Formal and the Battle of the Bands, her friends did visit a lot more. But to her it still wasn’t the same. What she forgot at her home was a photo of her and her friends. She picked up the photo as more tears came out, but she quickly wiped them away. “I have to make things right first.” She put the photo in her bag and headed back. Unfortunately, her gas tank was low and she had to stop for at least enough to get her back to the school building. She then stopped by the nearest gas station she could find and looked up at the gas station attendant. “$10 regular please…”

“Is that really gonna be enough?” the station attendant asked.

“Where I’m going, I won’t really need much.” she sighed. The station attendant looked at her skeptically. “D-don’t worry! It’s nothing like that… I just need to get out for a bit, that’s all. Clear up some things with a few friends.”

“I see…” he said filling up her tank. “Why don’t I just fill it up for you? My treat.”

“Huh? But I barely know you…”

“Don’t worry about it,” he smiled. “Just be safe out there, alright?” he said holding out his hand.

Sunset smiled back and shook his hand. “I will, thank you.” The attendant finished filling up the tank and Sunset then left the gas station after paying the $10 she owed. As she was driving however, she soon started feel light-headed and dizzy. “Ugh…” She pulled the car to the side of the road to hold her head. Eventually it stopped and she started to head towards the school again. “What the hell was that…?” She thought aloud. “It’s never happened to me before…” She just shrugged it off and kept going on her way. She then parked the car in the school parking lot, grabbed her things leaving the keys inside the building, and headed through the portal slowly looking back. “I won’t forget any of you…” a tear dripped from her face right before she went through.

----------------------------------------------

Back in Twilight’s castle where the Mirror was, Sunset Shimmer would come out of it falling forward onto her hooves. She sighed. “I almost forgot what it was like to have hooves… and magic…” her horn glowed putting her luggage on her back. She started to walk around the building she was in, looking around. “That’s strange… this doesn’t look like the same castle I came into last time.” She continued looking around until she found herself in a hallways with other doors. She carefully peeked inside of one of the doors but saw nopony. In fact, every door she checked, there was nopony. “Where is everyone?” As she was walking and looking around however, she mistakenly bumped into something… or someone. “Oh god, I’m really sorry I--”

“No it’s alright, I was equally involved.” The blue pony said apologetically. “I shouldn’t have been wandering, but this castle had me curious… Now that I think about it, you being here has me even more curious.” Naoto said sternly. “Who are you, and what business do you have here?”

“I-I’m Sunset Shimmer, I came here looking for Twilight Sparkle.” Sunset said nervously. “Who are you…?”

“My name is Naoto Shirogane. I don’t believe I even saw you come in. That is very suspicious in my book.”

Oh, this is off to a great start… Sunset thought to herself. “Look, I came in through the portal in Princess Twilight’s-- huh?” Sunset stopped noticing Naoto getting into a fighting stance holding her gun. “Wait, what the--!?”

“Stay back!”

“Seriously?! Do ponies hate me THAT much since I left Equestria!?”

“Left Equestria…?” She put her gun down.

“Hang on, you don’t know who I am?”

“When you said you came out of a portal, I thought that you were…” Naoto paused and sighed. “Come with me.” she said pushing Sunset Shimmer to the room that the others were in.

“H-hey! Take it easy!” Sunset exclaimed.

“Sunset Shimmer…?” That voice rung in Sunset’s ears like it was the most beautiful sound she had ever heard. She turned her head to find that the voice came from Twilight Sparkle. “What… I mean, what are you doing here…?”

“I found her roaming the halls of the castle and thought that it was a bit suspicious…” Naoto said holding onto Sunset.

“It’s fine Naoto, you can let go of her… she’s my friend.”

“M-My apologies Twilight…” Naoto said letting go of Sunset.

Twilight smiled and walked up to Sunset giving her a warm hug. “What’s going on…? Not that I’m not happy to see you but, how come you came back?”

“Equestria is my real home Twilight.” Sunset sighed. “Plus, I have to make things right with everypony that I’ve hurt. Starting with Celestia…”

Twilight sighed. “Well you sort of came at a wrong time…”

“Huh? What happened?”

“Somepony was murdered in Ponyville.”

“Wait, WHAT!?” Sunset exclaimed. “How is that even possible!? Murder doesn’t happen in Equestria!”

“It’s something that would be hard for you to understand.” Narukami said.

“I’m sorry, who are you?” Sunset asked.

“Sunset Shimmer, I’d like you to meet Yu, Yosuke, Teddie, Kanji, and Naoto.” Twilight started. “Yu, Yosuke, and Teddie… well, they’re the ones that saved my life.”

“What do you mean?” Twilight started explaining everything that happened in the T.V. World, who was murdered, and what the cause of the murder was. “What the hell… Shadows? Personas?? Ugh. This is so freaking confusing…”

“You sure you’re from Equestria?” Kanji asked. “Because you sound like you come from the human world, like us.”

“Well I guess living there for a few years can--” Sunset Shimmer froze. “Wait, did you just say…!?”

“Yeah, we’re from the human world.” Yosuke answered. “Probably not the same as yours though, because a magic statue? That doesn’t sound like it would exist for us.”

“So, there would be multiple human worlds then?” Sunset asked. “This is so bizarre…”

“Hey, it’s getting late, where are the others at?” Kanji asked.

“I don’t know, but I do know one thing.” Yosuke chuckled. “Chie must be going through one hell of a nightmare right now.”

“Why do you say that?” Twilight asked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I can’t believe this…” Chie groaned. “A world that doesn’t sell MEAT?? This is a freaking nightmare…!” She whined.

“Relax Chie! You’re gonna draw attention to us if you say that.” Rise exclaimed in a whisper. “Ponies don’t eat meat, remember?”

“I don’t care, I have to have something!”

“Oh! I just remembered, I did bring in some food Chie.” Yukiko said taking a few bowls out of her bag in a well hidden area.

“YES! Yukiko, you’re a life saver!”

“Here you go, Steak for Chie, fried tofu for me and for Rise.” Yukiko smiled.

“Alright! Let’s dig in!” Chie exclaimed taking the first bite of her steak. Her eyes practically shrunk. She literally threw up what she had eaten. “What the hell…!? Why does this taste so bad!?”

“D-don’t look at me! Narukami is the one who actually cooked it!”

“But Narukami’s a GOOD cook!”

“Uh… I might have an idea.” Rise said blushing. “It is possible that since we changed into ponies, our taste buds must've changed from what a human would like to what a pony would like… which in this case, would be vegetables, no meat.” Rise said eating her tofu. “Good thing this isn’t meat… eheheh…” she smiled sheepishly.

“Agreed.” Yukiko smiled the same way.

“This.. is the worst place I have ever been to!!” Chie exclaimed in agony. “Let’s just go…” She huffed and got up to head towards the castle. “It’s getting late anyways.” the two others nodded and followed her after eating their meals. “Man, this castle is huge…” she said walking up to the door and knocking on it. Eventually an orange pony with a blue mane and tail answered the door wearing his royal guard uniform. “Uh hi, we came here to ask a few questions.”

“Questions about what if I may ask?” the guard asked.

“Well, has there been any… you know… incidents lately?”

“Are you referring to the pony that was found dead?”

The three girls had looks of shock. “Some one was found dead here?”

“You didn’t even know?...” The guard asked. “She was hanging upside down from Princess Twilight’s castle…”

“Then it is the same as before…” Chie said.

“Excuse me?”

“Uh! n-nothing! Is Twilight Princess-- I mean Princess Twilight here right now?” chie asked nervously.

“One moment… I’m sorry, what are your names?”

“Chie Satonaka.” Chie answered.

“Yukiko Amagi.”

“Rise Kujikawa.”

“Alright…” Flash said. “I’ll be right back.”

-------------------------------------------------

“Your highness?” Flash said walking into Twilight’s throne room. “You have a few visitors to see you.”

“Visitors?” Twilight asked. “But I wasn’t expecting anypony.”

“I believe one of them called herself Chie Satonaka?”

“Oh, they’re here!” Yosuke exclaimed.

“Yeah, let them in. They’re with us.” Kanji nodded.

“Yes, please let them in Flash.” Twilight smiled.

“As you wish your highness.” He bowed and went back to open the door.

“I’m glad they were able to find this place.” Narukami finally said.

“Not really hard to find a giant castle like this in a village… kinda sticks out, don’t you think?” Yosuke said rubbing the back of his head.

“Hang on a second… where’s Rarity?” Twilight asked looking around.

“Over here…” Rarity could be heard sitting on her throne in the center of the room.

“What are you doing all the way over there?”

“Keeping my distance.” Rarity huffed. “I still don’t trust her you know.” She said looking at Sunset Shimmer.

“Rarity, I told you that she’s changed…”

“I’ll believe it when I see it. Twilight, she stole your crown and tried to take over that other world with her own personal army. Why in Equestria WOULDN’T I have my doubts?”

“Rarity!”

“No Twilight, it’s fine.” Sunset sighed. “I’m used to it anyways. Plus I really do deserve it after what I did.”

“What you did was in the past. Please don’t let that bother you now.” Twilight placed a hoof on Sunset. “I promise that everything is fine now.”

“Well, not exactly. Considering I came back during a murder case…”

Twilight sighed. “We’re going to solve this. With the help of everyone here, I know we can.”

Sunset smiled at Twilight looking relieved until three new ponies walked in. “Narukami! Guys! You’re all here!” Chie, Yukiko, and Rise ran in.

Rise ran up to Yu and hugged him tight. “Did you miss me senpai?”

“Uh… Senpai?” Twilight asked.

“Oh, who’s this?” Yukiko asked.

“Oh, I’m Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight smiled. “You must be the rest of Narukami’s friends.”

“Hm?” Yosuke started. “Why are you three still wearing your glasses?”

“Thought it would be good to have some form of disguise.” Rise said.

“I got a better idea.” Yosuke grinned taking off Chies glasses and putting on another pair. The gag glasses.

Chie growled and bucked Yosuke in the face. “Why do you even have that with you!?” she yelled taking off the glasses, putting away her real ones.

“I’m guessing that you’ve faced yourselves in the T.V. world as well?” Twilight asked.

“Huh?” Chie looked at Twilight. “You mean you already know?”

“More like, I’ve already been…” She said putting on her pair of glasses. “Teddie gave me these to see better in that world.”

“Jeez, how many pairs of glasses does that bear carry with him?” Chie asked.

“I made sure to make a copy for each of us in case something happened to ours.” Teddie smiled.

“And I’ve also decided to help out in solving the case with you all.” Twilight smiled, as Rarity could be heard sighing from her chair across the room.

“What’s wrong with her?” Rise asked looking over at Rarity.

“She’s afraid of me going into that world, thinking I might die… She’s one of my six best friends.”

“11 if you count our friends in Canterlot High.” Sunset pointed out.

“Heh, yeah that’s right.” Twilight yawned.

“Alright, so let’s confirm the situation.” Naoto started. “From the information we’ve gathered, it seems that there is another killer somewhere here in Ponyville. Murder doesn’t occur that often, am I correct?”

Twilight nodded. “That’s right, its very uncommon. The most crimes we usually got were petty thefts. And even that never got too serious.”

“We still don’t know the reason for the murderer’s actions, so for now the best thing we can do in this situation is watch the midnight channel when it rains. It’s the only thing we have right now.”

“But what if the murderer doesn’t wait for the Midnight Channel?” Sunset asked.

“The murderer in our world relied on the channel to notify him of the next victim. For us, the image would appear like static and hard to see. If the image were to be clear, then that pony will already be in the other world. That’s when we must take action.”

“I’m coming with you still.” Rarity spoke out. “I do not care if my life is at risk, I will not just wait here knowing that my best friend is in there risking her own life.”

“And as I said, you can come but just stay behind us.” Twilight nodded. “Alright, let’s all get some rest.” she spoke to everyone in the group. “I would very much like to practice using my Persona in the other world. Do you think you can come with me Narukami?” Twilight asked Yu.

Narukami nodded. “I’d be happy to help you with your training.”

Twilight smiled. “Thanks, I really appreciate it.”

“I don’t suppose I could come and observe…?” Sunset asked. “I’d like to know more about this persona thing.”

“If you promise to stay close, then sure.” Twilight nodded. “And if it’s alright with Yu.”

Yu nodded. “I’m perfectly fine with it.”

“Okay, but in seriousness…” Sunset Started. “How the hell are you so freaking calm about all this?” Sunset asked Narukami.