• Published 20th Oct 2014
  • 681 Views, 10 Comments

Normalcy - Coufnsiou



Equestria is a strange place, mystic and magical. Not a modecrum of normality or boredum exists... but that is about to change.

  • ...
3
 10
 681

Prologue

"Hey, Norm?"


"Yeah, Sky?"


"I'm scared..." she said, partly trembling in my arms.


"I know. I am too."


"I don't wanna go..." the sky blue pegasus said, her pink mane and almost azure coat disheveled from stress, her blue eyes drenched with tears. The world around us was falling apart at the seams. There was no screaming, no panic, as Sky and I were the only ones left. The rumbling sound of the ground around us as our sole company. An event of down right cataclysmic proportions, and we were right in the center, watching everything float and dissipate and shatter.


"I know... but it'll be fine..." I was lying. This was all my fault. I shouldn't even be here. I knew it wasn't going to be fine.


"I don't want you to go..." she said, her voice squeaky and wobbling from silently sobbing. It wasn't me who was leaving.


"I'm not leaving..." another cottage like house came crumbling down, the debris falling into the abysmal crevice that had carved it's way through the earth. I was going to be fine... the only thing I had to worry about was the loneliness. Worse than death.


"Hey, remember that song I taught you guys?" She nodded, tears practically streaming down her muzzle. I knew how she felt. I could barely hold back my own.


"Let's sing it... for old times sake..." old times... memories would be the only thing that I'd have left. A ghost of a smile appeared on her face.


"Yeah, let's." She responded, her voice a partial whisper among the white noise of ceaseless destruction. I cleared my throat and remembered the words.


"You've got a friend in me, You've got a friend in me, " I sang, the melody being a small comfort to the both of us.


"When the road looks, rough ahead and you're miles and miles from your nice warm bed..." she sang in her 80-90s-esque voice, still keeping it's cheerful sing-song tune.


"You just remember what your old pal said, yeah you've got a friend in me..."

__________________________________________________________

It was happening again… like it had all those centuries ago... eerily precise to last time...only Sky wasn’t here this time. In exchange was an even more terrified colt, watching his world slowly faded out around him. He had no wings or horn, and his coat was a broccoli green, his mane a chocolate brown. Pea Pod was his name.


Instead of a cataclysmic earthquake and things slowly disappearing as if their atoms were being torn apart, they were fading away, as if slowly blurring and then leaving nothing but white behind.


“Hey kid, no crying… big colts don’t cry… let’s pick up where we left off…”


He was sobbing uncontrollably, I couldn’t blame him. His world was literally disappearing around him...I watched as Rose Bud and Blue Grass both disappeared into oblivion, fading into nothing. The only two ponies to have given me a chance, to trust me… enough that they’d intrust Pea Pod to me… I started singing.


“You got your troubles… I got ‘em too. There isn’t anything I wouldn’t do for you.” the grass around us began fading, turning to a canvas white. Pea Pod breathed in shakily and carried on the song.


“W-w-we s-stick together, w-w-w-we see it t-t-through..” He was sobbing, but there were no tears. He had lost them all when he saw his parents blur out to nothing. He screamed for them not to go, he didn’t want them to leave, he begged to go with them… I know how he felt.


“Cause you’ve got a friend in me…”

__________________________________________________________

Why. Why is this always happening? Why does this keep happening? It’s as if the universe is hellbent on making new ways to destroy everything around me…once I was left in utter darkness, the other in blank, white space… it seems I was going to be left in white space again. Trees and rocks suddenly popping out of existence, as if ballons. Next to me was a cream colored unicor, his mane a light, almost baby blue, his eyes were a grassy green. Party Favor was his name. He sat next to me on his haunches making a game out of the objects popping out of existence…


“Hey Normal…” he said, “Remember when things didn’t disappear?” he asked me, poking the air as if popping bubbles. I could remember… but then things kept popping and disappearing.


“Nope…” I lied. I could remember, but again, it just kept happening. Like a sudden nagging reminder. Always there, constantly haunting you like a little mistake you made, something you refused to let go of. This was always my fault. Like a sponge I absorb what holds this world together, everything that makes this would what it is. I essentially kill everything around me, slowly. Like a sponge, I will string myself out, releasing life once again onto this place.


I sometimes wondered if Party knew I was the reason this was happening. If he knew I was responsible for the disappearance of his friends and family, or that he chose to look past that… in which case, this Pony is more Human than I.


“You wanna keep singing?” I asked. His eyes lit up and he smiled wide.


"I thought you'd never ask!" He materialized a little kazoo and blew into it, clearing his throat and getting into an over exaggerated pose. I smirked and began the verse.


"Some other folks might be a little bit smarter than I am..."


"Bigger and stronger too... maybe. But none of them, would ever love you the way I do."


"It's me and you, boy."


"And as the years go by..." we began to sing in unison, I was crying while Party was smiling happily.


"Our friendship will never die. You're gonna see it's our destiny..."

POP

"... You've got a friend in me… you’ve got a friend in me… you’ve got a friend in me."