• Published 19th Oct 2014
  • 4,760 Views, 103 Comments

A Message to Rainbow Dash - AlliePastel



When Rainbow Dash moves to the big city, she gives the responsibility of Scootaloo to her best friend in the world. For Fluttershy, this means dealing with the angst that comes along with being a mother.

  • ...
22
 103
 4,760

Breakdown Part One

“Are you going to be alright at school today honey?” The mother questioned, opening her car’s back door for the child. Her hands acted quickly in removing the straps to a very bulky car seat, she tried to make it fast. Poor Scootaloo fell just under the regional requirement for the equipment.

Fidgeting around awkwardly, the tray was raised and the child crawled off the seat. She took a double take to make sure that no one was watching; thankfully they weren’t. Rolling her eyes, Scootaloo climbed out of the car and walked away, “I’m fine mom. I promise that I won’t be that dumb today.”

She walked down the sidewalk. Her plain grey checkered skirt and knee high socks, the outfit that she hated so much seemed to be flowing faster and faster through mother nature’s cruel winter breeze. A shiver hit the girl’s spine as she realized what she had done.

Making a full 180 degree turn, the girl sprinted back to her mother with a worried grin on her face. She dove in and hugged her mommy around the shins and looked up sorrowfully at her.

“Hmm, is something wrong?” Fluttershy asked, giving Scootaloo as warm smile as she got on the child’s level.

“N-nothing. I just, I just forgot to say goodbye.” The child blushed, unable to say that she really was going to miss her. She loved her so much, why she couldn’t just admit it went right over her head.

Smiling, she looked up at her mother’s face. Something about her warm grin and compassionate complexion reminded her how much she cared. It tore her apart inside to have to go to school, the absence of Fluttershy’s embrace made it hard to leave her. Sighing, she turned her back and looked at the school.

The school was quaint, just a simple one story brick complex that looked like a house on the outside. It’s usually perky green yard was hindered by the winter’s cold grip. The trees dead, all the rest that remained were a few scattered pine trees near the entrance; well, that and a metal bench.

In her car, Fluttershy watched as her daughter huddled up inside her jacket. Applebloom and Sweetie Belles exited the school to greet her, but her slouched walk cycle hadn’t changed at all. As concerning as things seemed, Scootaloo was always oddly fixated on certain emotions. The very fact that Scootaloo left with such a hollowed look on her face kicked up a lot of suspicion in the mother.

The thought heavy on her mind, Fluttershy ignored the thought and continued on her way down the snowy suburban road. Many house and even more shops crowded the streets. Their bright yellow lights shined through the snow and darkness, casting a yellow glow on her old Volkswagen.

It was around this time that she really regretted having such an old car. Between its lack of a good air conditioning system, it didn’t do much of a good job providing entertainment for Scootaloo as she rode in her car seat. The plus side to it all was that the seats were low enough so no one knew Scootaloo was in a car seat.

After several minutes of driving on Ponyville’s cobblestone roads, the young mother finally came upon her destination; she was at Sugar Cube Corner. She made a left turn into the back lot of the place. Parking her car, she stepped off and pulled the sleeves down on her charcoal black overcoat. Her adjusted her hat and made her way into the back entrance of the restaurant.

“H-hello? Is anybody here?” she questioned, stepping lightly on the doormat as she awaited her response.

“Hello Fluttershy dear, what brings you here this morning?” A lighthearted female voice chimed from the bar.

Fluttershy smiled, she knew it was Mrs.Cake. She was always the first up in the morning; she’d had many discussions with her in the past week over proper child care techniques. She grinned a bit on the inside as she drew some money from her purse, “I just want my regular coffee. Or you know whatever is made.”

“Awe, you know your money isn’t needed here sugar. I’ve gotten so much business since this place got wifi that I just don’t know what to do with it.” Mrs.Cake chimed as she started pouring and mixing several various drinks into the same lot.

Her face looked tired, almost as if she’d been through a lot this evening. Her long curly pink hair, her worn out emerald eyes, to her coffee grained covered apron. Smiling, she looked up with a sympathetic smile on her face, “Are you having a rough evening dear?”

Reaching for the cup that was handed to her, Fluttershy shook her head. She tilted her head down to smell the coffee, it smelled relaxing. Peaking her eyes up, she looked the barista in the face, “Nah, I’ve just been getting used to Scootaloo you know? She doesn’t act around others the way she does around me, it’s like she doesn’t know what to do now, and I don’t know why.”

Mrs.Cake grabbed a white mug and began wiping it clean with a spare washcloth, “Well I’m not sure about that sweetie. My kids are only toddling now. I did read something about development in behavior. Do you know at what age Scootaloo was first adopted?”

The young fuchsia haired girl shook her head.

“I see. Maybe she’s just trying to adjust to a better environment; I couldn’t possibly imagine Rainbow Dash was a very good house keeper. Bless her heart, the girl is probably unfamiliar with real emotions.” The women said, setting the cup on the table.

“I dunno, Rainbow Dash was always pretty good sister. Then again Scoots was really quick in calling me mommy…” she said shrugging her shoulders. Perking up a bit, Fluttershy smiled a bit as she mentioned her plans, “Ooh, I am getting letting Scoots sleep by herself tonight. It isn’t weird for an eight year old to sleep with her mom is it?”

“Only a little.” Mrs.Cake said, giving Fluttershy and awkward grin.

“Psst. Well I suppose Scootaloo isn’t like most kids. I think she might really be enjoying taking baby-steps…” The young girl paused, her phone vibrating in her pocket. She raised an eyebrow at Mrs.Cake as she began to answer it, “Oh, it’s the school. I hope Scootaloo is doing alright. This is only her second day back since Rainbow left…” she said bringing the phone to her ear.

“Hello?”

“…”

“Yes. She did eat a full breakfast.”

“…”

“Yes, she got plenty of sleep.”

“…”

“No, she hasn’t watched anything scary on T.V. Well, there was this one cartoon with this talking sponge in-no never mind, she wasn’t in the room for that part.”

“…”

“Well what do you mean she’s crying?”

“…”

“Alright. I’ll be down there in 30 minutes or so. Uh, give her a blanket or something soft to cuddle with, she’ll like that…” Fluttershy said, as she hung up the phone.

She blushed looking up at Mrs.Cake, “I have to get Scootaloo from the school; she’s having a bit of mental breakdown.” Her expression turned from embarrassed to sad as she planted her hands in her face. Sighing, she shook her head, “I can’t do anything right.”

“Awe, you’re being too hard on yourself dear…” Mrs.Cake said, tilting Fluttershy’s head back up. Giving her a warm smile, she lifted a decently sized marshmallow in the air and pushed it into Fluttershy’s mouth. “That’s the smile I like to see!” She said as her friend started smiling some.

Fluttershy chewed the sticky marshmallow for a few seconds and then swallowed hard. Giggling a little, she leaned over the brewing bar to give the shop owner a hug. Resting her head on Mrs.Cake’s shoulder, she smiled, “Thanks Mrs.Cake. I’m sorry; it’s all been so rough on me. Just please know that you’re being really awesome right now.”

“Haha… I know sweetie.” Mrs. Cake joked, winking as she broke the hug. Looking at the time, she gestured to the girl, “Now go on, I don’t want you being late. Scootaloo is probably worried.

“Right!” Fluttershy said, nodding to Mrs. Cake as she sprinted out the door.

***

After a hasty drive back to the school house, Fluttershy came crashing through the doors. It’d been her first time in the school since adopting Scootaloo a week ago, thankfully the nurse’s office was right next to the principals.

“Hello? Uh-nurse, w-where’s my daughter? I-I already signed in…” she asked as she opened the infirmary door. She looked around to find the nurse was by the bedside of her daughter, trying to calm her down. She asked simple questions like, “Does your tummy hurt, are you feeling nauseous,” and a various other sort of generic questions.

“Oh…” Fluttershy said, walking over to her Crying daughter. She reached her arms out, picked up her child and brought her into a tight hug, “Awe, poor baby.” She cooed, planting a series of kisses on the child’s forehead. Looking over at the nurse, she raised an eyebrow, “Do you know why she’s crying?”

The nurse shrugged her shoulders.

“Alright, let me sign her out I guess…” she said, walking over to a clip board on the pearly white medical grade countertop. The whole room looked of nothing but formica and white washed medical equipment. The red ink she used to sign out her child was the only distinct color in the room.

Fluttershy held the child’s head close to her chest, as not to show anyone her crying child. She moved her quickly to the car, being sure to step on the snow covered ground carefully as they went. Opening the back door, she climbed in with the child, shut the door, and brought the child on her lap.

Taking a double take of the school, she noticed that no one was to be found. It was just her and her daughter in the car. She took a deep breath as she strapped her child into her seat. Not a word was spoken from the time Scootaloo had entered that seat to the time she’d exit it.

***

Arriving back home, Fluttershy exited her car and made quick work to remove her child from the car seat, this time for fear of coldness. Scootaloo wasn’t feeling too warm.

“Alright honey…” she said, kicking the car door shut as she made her way back towards the house, “Tell me what’s wrong?” She walked briskly as the snow covered yard seemed to rise higher and higher. It was no wonder why the streets of ponyville were so serine, the school was probably going to close any second now.

Scootaloo grabbed tight at her mommy’s sides and leaned her head sorrowfully towards her mother’s breast. She lifted her tear covered face, her red eyes were met with her mother’s same warm smile; the same smile made her heart melt. She had some irresistible alleviation when she saw the grin.

“I-I dunno…” Scootaloo prolonged as they sat on the living room couch, “I-I forgot my bag and I missed you, a-and when I started getting frustrated over my reading, I-I lost it. I didn’t want to deal with smiling or being sad. I-I dunno why, I panicked.” She said, burying her head into her mommy’s chest.

“Awe, poor baby.” The mother cooed, rubbing a hand lovingly up and down the child’s back, “I-I didn’t know you were so uh. Nevermind. I’m sorry I made you go to school today, you weren’t ready.” She admitted.

“No, it’s my fault. I was being dumb! I’m always being dumb!” Scootaloo said shaking her head in regret. She peeked her eyes up at her mommy’s and smiled a little, “I-I’m so sorry.”

Obligated to her daughter and admittedly empathetic, it was no question for Fluttershy to gently push her daughter’s head against her chest again. Her eyes gleamed with tears, her mind buzzing with solutions. She leaned her lips against her daughter’s forehead and pecked her hair.

“It’s alright baby…” she adjust her daughter’s body so it directly faced her own body. She used her hand to support her daughter’s bottom as they walked over to the couch area. She sat down, leaning her back against the cushions. “Shh…shh.” She cooed.

Inside the young girl’s mind, everything was blurred. Every thought was a mishmash of wild thoughts of taunting, unreadable words, and situations of failure. She wanted to break down and scream, she did-loudly.

Yelling at the top of her lungs, the child held the note for only a few seconds before she broke down sobbing against her mother’s breast again. She could taste her tears, they tasted so bland. As if their essence was everything she wasn’t thinking of.

No amount of crying kept her from hugging her mommy tight. She didn’t know what to do, she had no idea really. How do you react to something you’re not prepared for?

Humming, the young mother hugged her daughter extra hard before letting go entirely. She watched patiently as Scootaloo came to her own. The poor girl had been
through so much today, she could tell just by the look on the girl’s face. Using the same empathetic smile she used before, she grinned, “You wanna get more comfy? We don’t have to worry about school anymore today.”

Scootaloo used the side of her hand to wipe the tears from her eyes. She looked confused by her mom’s statement, “Y-you think I can just skip my work?”

“I know you can sweetie, we can always work on it later.” Fluttershy object as she moved her hand over the gray suspenders to her daughter’s school outfit. Tugging them off her child’s shoulders, she paused a moment, letting them fall to the hemline of the outfit.

The girl watched in awe as the outfit fell apart. She stood up at the discretion of her mother and let the skirt fall to her feet. She blushed at the thought of how she looked, she couldn’t stand the idea of undressing in front of someone else; the only time she ever did is after she’d wet the bed.

“Awe, don’t be so shy baby…” Fluttershy cooed, grabbed the child from under the arms and bringing her back into a cradle. She sympathized with the child’s blushing, she too would’ve felt a little uncomfortable with the concept of undressing in front of someone she respected. ‘Hopefully Scootaloo respected her.’ She thought to herself.

Wiping the last of the tears from her eyes, Scootaloo shook her head, “I-I’m sorry. I’ve just been so wimpy. I didn’t mean to upset you, I-I just lost it!”

“Hey, you’re not wimpy!” she said, walking the child up the stairs. Each step she was extra careful not to shake Scootaloo too hard, the child was admirably light. Infact the child was small for her age, her attitude didn’t help change things either. It seemed that when Scootaloo wasn’t trying to get herself killed with a deadly new stunt, or wasn’t boasting, she actually spent most of her time silent and in an extremely introverted manner; almost like she was in a phase.

In most cases the ‘phase’ thing wouldn’t concern her too much, children day dream a lot, but Scootaloo really seemed to have a hard time coming out of her episodes.

Opening the nursery door, the Fluttershy stepped inside. She walked her daughter towards the dresser, tossing the dirty gray romper aside. Lord knows how Scootaloo got the skirt dirty, it was probably just pencil shavings or marker or something.

She set the child on the ground, smiling as she posed the questioned, “Are you ready for your jammies?”

“Already? It’s only like, eight in the morning!” Scootaloo said, looking around for a clock. Her expression turned from a confused stern look to one of horror as she looked upon the outfit her mother was pulling out of the dresser drawer.

Fluttershy smiled, holding up the outfit and turning it around. “Like it? I’m sorry it’s all I’ve got left besides your other ones.

“Well what was wrong with my other pajamas? I wasn’t a big fan of princess, but they were better than dumb baby ones!” she yelled as she crossed her arms and pouted.

The mother grabbed her hands around her daughter's white sleeves. She pulled them and the rest of the white cotton t-shirt over the girl’s head, leaving her in nothing but her panties and socks. Giggling, she watched her child’s expression turn into that of defeat; her daughter’s face turned red as she started to kick off the ruffled socks. She smiled, her girl was so smart.

“A-are you sure?” Scootaloo questioned, feeling as if her dignity was on the line.

Nodding, the mother told her daughter to raise her foot. Soon she found herself helping the young girl into her new pajamas. After some steady cooperation, she zipped up the main zipper and clipped a small protector strap around the neck.

She covered her mouth, smiling at the sheer adorableness that the child looked. Standing only knee high on her, Scootaloo stood pouting in a set of dark purple footie pajamas with a steady heart design all over the exterior. Not only did it fit perfectly, but it looked perfect too.

“Happy?” Scootaloo asked, a peaking her eyes up at Fluttershy again.

Fluttershy knelt down in front of the child. Her knee on the ground, she planted her hand on her baby’s shoulder, “The real question is, are you happy baby?”

The child looked her mother in the eyes. Her heart sank a little as she was overwhelmed with sensation her mother induced with her expression. Something about it put things in perspective, like everything was going to be okay, because it really was going to be okay. She might of pretended that she hated all the coddling, but she loved it.

Without saying a word, the child delved into her mother’s arms, “Y-yes mommy!” she answered sobbing. She wanted to say the outfit was making her angry, but it was really just bringing her closer to the thing she loved more than anything right now; her mommy.

Author's Note:

I'm glad with the way this story is shaping out. I suppose with the winter months on the horrizon, I'm feeling in a cuddly and cute sort of mood. I'll elaborate more on Scootaloo's behavior in the upcoming chapter, but it's obvious where her behavior is going to end her up anyway. I even have some activities planned out for her!

As always the next chapter will be published (7-10) days from now!

I hope you all have a wonderful day! ~England ^~^