• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 3,652 Views, 70 Comments

Foreign Correspondence - Stormie-squall



After the events of Rainbow Rocks, Sunset gains a new teacher and Twilight her first student.

  • ...
12
 70
 3,652

Chapter 4

Twilight entered Canterlot castle and was unsurprised to find Luna seated atop the throne. She was also unsurprised by the lack of ponies at the night court- then again, it was pretty late. She’d spent hours searching her books for information on the dark magic that she believed Sunset had been a victim of. She just couldn’t believe that someone as sweet as Sunset, someone who’d left tearstains on her shirt before she left, could have just killed an innocent person like that. Her diary from Fluttershy had lit up with another message not long after that, explaining her own fears and Sunset’s own admission that her memory of that night was spotty.

“Good evening, Princess Twilight,” Luna greeted, breaking Twilight out of her thoughts. “It is good to see a friendly face around here. One that isn’t asking for something, anyway.”

“Oh, Luna, don’t call me by my title,” Twilight blushed. “It’s embarrassing.”

“Very well then, Twilight. Have you come to see me for something? It is a little late for this to be a social visit.”

“Not with all the work I have to do now as a princess,” Twilight chuckled. “Not to mention setting up my castle.”

“You only need populate your castle with your belongings and furniture, my sister and I had to build ours from scratch. With a little help of course, but still.” Luna looked around the castle. “At least, we built our last one together. Celestia hasn’t yet told me how this castle came to be.”

“She told me that her ponies built it out of their gratitude for her defeating you,” said Twilight, and then cringed. “Er, sorry. Defeating Nightmare Moon, I mean.”

“Nightmare Moon and the pony I am are one and the same,” said Luna, eyes fixed firmly on the marble floor. “It is something that I deeply regret. Is this what you have come to talk about? We have not yet spoken of the dark magic that led to me becoming that raging beast that you and your friends defeated with the Elements.”

“Yes, actually,” Twilight nodded. “Sunset said something similar, about dark magic, and it reminded me of you.” Luna had once let slip that Nightmare Moon was vile, dark magic, but she’d quickly clammed up after that.

“Perhaps it is something better discussed in my private chambers,” Luna decided, and stood from the chair, stretching her stiff limbs. “That chair is uncomfortable. I may just take Tia’s suggestion to use a pillow.”

After informing the guards that Night Court was now over, Luna led Twilight to a part of the castle that she had never been in before, not even when she’d been a filly. It had never been occupied, or so the castle staff used to say. Then again, they’d also said that it was inhabited by ghosts, Celestia’s illegitimate daughter, and a mother dragon.

They came to a large set of obsidian doors with a crescent moon made of moonrock taking up the majority of the space. It glowed when Luna lit her horn, and then both doors opened to allow the two alicorns to enter before closing again behind them.

Luna’s bedroom was actually quite red, from the paler red walls to the red carpet and then to the rose-red bed. Lighter or darker colours probably reminded her too much of her banishment. But the ceiling did glitter with stars.

While Twilight was looking around the room, Luna headed over to a more normal-sized door and slipped inside. When she came back out, she carried several books and scrolls in her magic.

“Twilight,” she called. “Stop analysing the magic that makes up my bedroom and come here.” Twilight blushed and obeyed, trotting over to the cushions where Luna had settled down with books and scrolls spread out.

“Did you write all these yourself?” Twilight asked.

Luna shook her head. “Nay, only the scrolls. But I beg of you, please, read the books first before the scrolls. It may be less frightening that way.” Twilight didn’t think that anything could be more unsettling than what she’d already read tonight, but she didn’t say anything.

“You may remember that your Spike found a book of dark intents in our old castle,” said Luna, gesturing to the book bound in dark leather. “This book is similar, in that reading it aloud will unleash the magic.”

“Spike did what?” Twilight asked, shocked.

“Oh, perhaps I was not meant to tell you that. Never mind, though, he sorted it out. But my point remains, Twilight, do not, under any circumstances, read this dark book aloud. Even speaking the title awakens the magic. You must read it in brightest daylight, in an area free of magic, and do not use your horn for anything. Not turning page, not holding the book, not even to get a better breeze.”

“Okay.” Twilight gulped as she eyed the book more nervously now. “Did you read this book?”

“Long ago,” Luna confirmed. “I was young and foolish. I thought that it was just a silly book, nothing to worry about. Starswirl had it, though, in his library. Locked up in a private room.”

“But wasn’t Celestia the more studious of you two?” asked Twilight. Her mind itched to read that book, even as her heart pounded in fear.

“Yes, and I never liked reading. But this book is different. It draws you in, it makes you want to read it. You want to read it right now, don’t you?”

Twilight lowered her head sheepishly. “More than anything.”

“The stronger the magic of the pony, the greater the book’s influence.” Luna gripped the book in her hooves and held it away from Twilight. “I should burn it, but I cannot risk the dark energy in the book escaping. I don’t think that even Celestia’s sun would be hot enough.”

“Do you think that Sunset read it?” asked Twilight. Thankfully, the pull of the book was lessened now that it was closer to Luna.

“Undoubtedly. A pony of her magic potential would have been an ideal target for the book. And I have no doubts that she read it aloud.”

“And what does the book do?”

“It corrupts the reader. Their mind is corrupted as a new entity slithers in and makes itself at home. It takes whatever is there and twists it, makes it evil. For me, it was my jealousy. For Sunset…”

“I don’t know,” Twilight finished. “I’ll have to ask Celestia in the morning. She’ll know Sunset better than I do. I suppose I could always ask Sunset.”

“After the reader is cleansed of the book’s influence, they experience many lapses in memory. They do not remember why they were so angry in the first place, or what pushed them to become so evil. Even I only remember wanting ponies to love my night. I don’t remember becoming the Nightmare or fighting my sister or hurting all those ponies… I can only remember that I did, and be horrified at what I did.” Luna abruptly growled and flung the book with all her might across the room, where it hit the wall and bounced to land on the floor. Still closed, thankfully, due to the wards that briefly glowed on it.

“But where would Sunset have got the book?” asked Twilight. “Did she go all the way over to the old castle to get it?”

“I do not know.” Luna looked weary all of a sudden. “You would be better off asking my sister in the morning. For now, you should try to get some rest, Twilight. You, of all my little ponies, need it.” Her horn glowed, invisible against her mane.

“You’re right,” Twilight nodded, suddenly becoming drowsy herself, “I should sleep.” She closed her eyes and was asleep before she landed back in her own bed, borne along on a cloud of blue fog filled with stars.