• Published 7th Oct 2014
  • 6,703 Views, 273 Comments

My Little Pony Equestria Girls 3: Twilight Vs Twilight - Hopeful Soul



A year after the battle of the bands, graduation nears, a familiar face returns, a pure heart is corrupted, enemies become allies and the fate of all reality hangs in the balance.

  • ...
22
 273
 6,703

Magic and Science

Chapter 3

The very next day, back at Canterlot High, Sunset Shimmer had just arrived at the school. Seeing that her friends weren’t there yet she decided to wait in front of the horse statue out front, which also acted as the portal between Equestria and the human world. Princess Twilight had it closed at the moment, but Sunset Shimmer still stood in front of it and sighed as she placed her hand on the front.

“Maybe I should go back their someday… I don’t know… I know I don’t belong here but… I can’t leave my friends behind…” Sunset muttered to herself. She sighed. “I wish you were here Twilight…”

Sunset was so busy muttering to herself that she failed to notice that her wish had practically been granted, again. For the human version of Twilight had just arrived at the school and after watching Sunset Shimmer mutter in front of a statue curiously. She decided to make herself known.

“Hey you! Over here!” Human Twilight called out as she ran over to her. The mentioned girl turned and was surprised to see the human version of Twilight again.

“Twilight? What are you doing here?” she asked.

“I told you; to find out what’s really going on at this school.” Human Twilight stated. “And that’s what I’m gonna do. Will you help me out?”

“W-Well I…” Sunset Shimmer began.

“Oh, wait, that reminds me, I never got your name.” Human Twilight pointed out.

“Sunset Shimmer. Uh… my name is Sunset Shimmer.” The fiery haired girl replied as she shook hands with Twilight’s human self.

“Very nice to meet you.” Human Twilight said, quickly. “Now, do you mind answering some questions for me?”

“Questions?” Sunset repeated, a little nervously.

“Yes, like where were you the nights that these strange events were occurring?” Human Twilight asked her, curiously.

“Oh well… I don’t really know what kind of ‘strange events’ you mean by so…” Sunset Shimmer began.

“Well for starters the tower of light and the rainbow I saw one night during the fall a year and a half ago…” Native Twilight began. Sunset Shimmer’s eyes widened when she realized she was referring to the Fall Formal. “And the unknown abnormality that looked like a winged unicorn in the sky which appeared over a year ago… do you know anything about those events? Anything at all?”

Sunset Shimmer struggled to figure out a way to answer the alternate Twilight’s question without sounding completely crazy or jeopardizing the safety of Equestria, which was hard considering the other Twilight continued to stare at her, like she was seeing right through her.

“Uh…” Sunset started to say before she noticed her five friends walking over. She then saw their eyes widen with joy when they saw who was with her, believing to be their dear friend from Equestria and not knowing it was just her human self.

“TWILIGHT!” The girls all squealed happily as they raced over to them both.

“Huh?” Human Twilight asked, confused before they quickly embraced her in a group hug, confusing her more.

“Oh! We missed you so much!” Pinkie squealed.

“I can’t believe your back!” Fluttershy said, relieved.

“Ooh, it’s so good to see you!” Rarity expressed, happily. “You have so much catching up to do.”

“Yeah, I’ll say!” Applejack agreed.

“So what’s new Princess?” Rainbow Dash asked, eagerly.

Twilight struggled a bit before she managed to push them all back. “Hey, get away from me!” she yelled, alarmed.

They were all surprised and taken aback by the sudden shove and stared at her hurt. Sunset Shimmer looked to her with a worried expression when she saw the alternate Twilight shove alternate version of her closest friends away.

Pinkie’s cotton candy like went straight as she looked at the other Twilight in confusion.

“Twilight…?” Pinkie Pie said, slowly.

“Twi? What’s wrong? Don’t you recognize us?” Applejack asked, confused.

“Oh, I know who you girls are, but you don’t know who I am.” Human Twilight stated. “Now I don’t know how you got my name and remembered it, but it doesn’t matter, I’ll find you what your all hiding soon enough, just you wait!”

“Uh… what are you talking about?” Rainbow Dash asked, confused.

“You know what I’m talking about!” Twilight said, accusingly.

“But you…” Rarity began before Sunset Shimmer pulled her and the other close and whispered to them

“Guys, that’s not the same Twilight we know, it’s just the version of her from this world and she can’t know anything about Equestria or Princess Twilight, ok? It would just complicate things.” Sunset explained to them quietly. “So please, don’t tell her.”

“Oh!” They all said, understandingly while the Human Twilight approached them.
“Uh… excuse me? I don’t mean to interrupt but I came here from answers and I want them now.”

“What kind of answers we got plenty!” Pinkie Pie said, pulling out a hat and revealing a large amount of paper slips with the words ‘answers’ written on them.

Native Twilight shoved the hat away. “I mean what happened during these following nights!” she said as she held up a piece of paper with two dates on it. They all looked at them, closely.

“Hey… that’s the day of the Fall Formal!” Applejack realized.

“Your right!” Fluttershy confirmed.

“And the other one’s the night of the Battle of the Bands!” Rainbow Dash added.

“So you were present during those nights.” Native Twilight deduced.

“Of course we were!” Rainbow Dash stated.

“Yeah! We were the ones that…” Pinkie began before Applejack covered her mouth.

“That were… partying the night away, yeah, that’s it…” Applejack said, trying and failing to lie, which was obvious due to the guilty grin on her face.

“You’re not that good a liar, are you?” Alternate Twilight guessed.

Applejack lowered her head, defeated. “Nope…”

“Just tell me what I want to know.” The human Twilight asked, annoyed.

“Um… um…” Fluttershy muttered, quietly, unsure of what to say.

“I’m sorry what was that?” Human Twilight asked. “Speak up!”

This made Fluttershy flinch with fear and prompted Rarity to stand in front of her, displeased.

“Manners darling, can’t you see she doesn’t like being interrogated like a criminal like the rest of us?” Rarity criticized. “Have you no empathy for others?”

Human Twilight and Rarity glared at each other for a bit, which made some of the others nervous before the other Twilight finally spoke up.

“Look, I really don’t have time for this now, so if you’ll excuse me I got some more researching to do. But I will be back, we’re not done.” Alternate Twilight Sparkle said, dismissively and sternly. before walking away from them. They all watched her go, hurt and confused.

“Well that was rude.” Rarity remarked, insulted.

“Yeah, what’s her deal?” Rainbow agreed.

“Guys, remember; that’s not the same Twilight you know… just someone who looks like her.” Sunset Shimmer reminded them.

“She did seem more serious than the other Twilight…” Fluttershy pointed out. “And just by looking at her I could feel… anger flowing off her in waves… it was very scary…”

“Maybe she just needs a makeover? That always cheers me right up.” Rarity stated. “Besides, have you seen her?”

“Rarity, what will it take for you to not care about how everybody looks? Including yours?” Applejack asked her.

Rarity thought for a bit. “Hmm, I honestly do not know…”

Applejack just face palmed in dismay and groaned.

“I… don’t think she needs a makeover Rarity…” Sunset told her.

“Yes… she needs something more than that…” Fluttershy agreed, glancing toward the direction the other Twilight went. “She needs a friend.”

“Yeah, even if she isn’t our Twilight, that doesn’t mean we can’t try to befriend her!” Applejack pointed out.

“That’s right!” Pinkie Pie nodded, determined.

“We just need to show her how important friendship really is.” Rainbow Dash said.

“I agree, and from what I can tell… she could use a few friends…” Sunset Shimmer remarked, grimly.

“That’s for certain.” Applejack concurred. Everyone else nodded as well.

“So what are we waiting for? We got some befriending to do!” Rainbow declared, all ready to go before Sunset stopped her.

“Maybe I should go talk to her, she knows me a little better plus she’s looking for answers to explain what happened during the Fall Formal and the Battle of the Bands.” Sunset reasoned. “If she sees you girls again she’ll immediately start asking us questions that we can’t answer.”

The girls all began to see her point then nod and agreed one by one.

“Well good luck, sugarcube.” Applejack told her. “Let us how it went. We’ll meet back at Pinkie’s place.”

“Ok, thanks girls, wish me luck.” Sunset said as she started to follow the other Twilight.

“Good luck!” They all said as she began to walk off before Rainbow spoke up.

“Sunset Shimmer?” she said, the fiery haired girl turned to her. “Listen… sorry about before… you know about you having to leave after graduation? We really are glad you’re one of us.”

Sunset Shimmer smiled, touched and resumed walking to hopefully try, key word; try, to befriend the alternate counterpart of her friend, and practically her mentor, Twilight Sparkle.


Elsewhere, the alternate version of Twilight was standing around the school soccer field, where here Equestrian counterpart played against Rainbow Dash and lost, and was taking soil currently taking soil samples when Sunset Shimmer approached her from behind.

“Hey, Twilight,” she said. The other Twilight jumped and turned to see Sunset Shimmer behind her.

“Oh, it’s you again.” Human Twilight said.

“Uh… hey again.” Sunset waved, nervously.

“What do you want?” Twilight’s human self questioned.

“I… wanted to talk to you.” Sunset Shimmer said, slowly.

“Really? You want to talk to… me?” Alternate Twilight asked, baffled.

“Yeah, why not?” Sunset asked. “Thought it be a good chance for us to… get to know each other a little better”

“Well… there’s not much to tell about me really…” Human Twilight shrugged. “I just like science, books and research.”

“That’s sounds cool.” Sunset admitted.

“Really?” Native Twilight asked, genuinely surprised as she adjusted her glasses.

“Yeah, and I’m sure many other people would find what you’re working on cool as well if you just open up a little and show them.” Sunset Shimmer told her.

“I guess so…” The alternate Twilight admitted, glancing away shamefully.

“Hey, maybe you could show me.” Sunset offered.

“Really?” The other Twilight asked, even more surprised than she was before. “You want to see my lab?”

Sunset Shimmer shrugged with a smile. “Sure, why not?”

“Then meet me here right after school and I’ll show you where I live!” Human Twilight said, eagerly. “Oh! This is so exciting! A real person in my lab! I haven’t had that happen since… forever really.”

“Well… you can’t say that anymore.” Sunset said, softly as she put her arm around the alternate Twilight, which surprised her a bit but she slowly accepted it as she walked off with Sunset Shimmer.


Later, right after school just like the other Twilight told her, Sunset Shimmer met the Alternate Twilight on the soccer field and soon enough followed her back to her home. The human version of Twilight struggled with a door a bit but eventually opened and stepped into her work room, which was still as cluttered and full of scientific equipment as ever, as Sunset saw for herself.

“Well, here we are.” Alternate Twilight said. “It’s not much I know… but it’s home.”

“Nice place…” Sunset Shimmer observed.

“Yeah… and don’t worry about making a mess, I’m mostly on my own now.” Human Twilight said as she neatly sorted some notes.

“What about your family?” Sunset Shimmer asked, confused and curious,

“My ‘family’ is mainly just me and my big brother most of the time.” The human version of Twilight said as she sat down at her computer and typed some stuff in while also picking up and looking at a dusty old photo that showed the human versions of Twilight’s parents, Shining Armor and a younger version of the alternate Twilight. “My Mom and Dad are away a lot and my brother is usually hanging out with his new girlfriend…”

“I’m sorry…” Sunset said, apologetically as she glanced down sadly.

“Yeah… I have a feeling they’ll get married someday too… leaving me all my own. Which is fine… I’m always alone.” Native Twilight said, depressed. “Nobody around here even knows my name or… they can’t remember it anyway. But I’ll get their attention soon…”

Sunset looked at her worried, then noticed the board with all the stings and pictures attached to it, saw that they were all connected to Canterlot High and approached it with wide eyes. “Whoa… what is this?”

“Oh those are all the things connected to Canterlot High and as you can see the web has… expanded since the first and second incident.” Twilight’s human self told Sunset.

“I’ll say…” she agreed, while looking around. She then noticed all the clutter on the ground. “Forgot to organize?”

“Yeah… I don’t get out much…” Human Twilight admitted. “Or talk to many people.”

“Sounds like you’ve had it pretty rough, huh?” Sunset said, sympathetically.

“It’s ok, you get used to it over time.” The other Twilight said, because she was turned away Sunset Shimmer didn’t notice the alternate Twilight struggling to keep herself awake. It seemed that all those late night were taking a toll on her body greatly.

Just then Sunset heard a barking noise and saw Puppy Spike entering the room, barking and wagging his tail. While she knew very well that he was an alternate version of the baby dragon from Equestria, she pretended not to know how to keep things from being complicated.

“Ooh, whose this?” she asked, interested.

“Oh, that’s Spike, my dog.” Human Twilight said.

Sunset smiled and bent down to his level. “Come here, little guy,” she urged. Puppy Spike came over to her and wagged his tail as she petted him. “Aw, how cute!”

The alternate Twilight turned away from her work and saw Sunset happily playing with her dog Spike and rubbing his bell as well. She smiled at this.

“He sure seems to like you.” The human version of Twilight remarked.

“I kind of have a thing for small animals, picked it up from a friend of mine.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“A friend?” Alternate Twilight repeated.

“Yeah, I have five of them actually.” Sunset Shimmer admitted.

“You mean those five girls from before?” Twilight asked, suspiciously.

“That’s them.” Sunset Shimmer confirmed.

“So they must have told you a bit about what happened during those nights right?” Human Twilight asked, eagerly.

“Well… a bit but I…” Sunset Shimmer tried to say.

“Please! Tell me what you know!” Twilight begged.

“Twilight, it’s not that easy, and I don’t think you can just demand answers from them.” Sunset Shimmer told her. “And I can’t tell you they’re secrets just like that.”

“And why not?” Native Twilight asked, frowning.

“Because they are my friends… I’ve worked so hard to gain they’re trust and they’re friendship, if I break it now… I’ll never forgive myself.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“Well to me, friendship is a distraction. Plus I have much more important things to do then socialize.” Twilight alternate counterpart stated, somewhat snobbishly.

“I used to think that too, but then I learned how important it was.” Sunset Shimmer said with a smile. “And you know… I kinda like to think it gives people hope.”

“Yeah? For what?” Native Twilight inquired.

“That eventually… everything’s gonna be alright, so long as you have your friends by your side.” Sunset Shimmer mused.

“Yes, well… I really wish I had time for that.” Human Twilight admitted. “Plus one friend is more than enough for me. Isn’t that right Spike?”

Puppy Spike barked in response.

“Well… my friend Pinkie Pie always tells me that you can never have too many friends.” Sunset Shimmer told her, smiling. “Maybe we could be…”

Sunset then noticed pictures of the others on her board and all kinds of information on them, including where they live and everything.

“Where did you get all this?” she asked.

“I do my homework… a lot actually.” Human Twilight admitted.

“But why?” Sunset Shimmer asked, turning to her.

“Because they know about the events, they were there, that makes them worthy investigating.” Native Twilight reasoned. “It’s the only way to get answers.”

“Twilight…” Sunset started to say.

“Please, we can help each other, Sunset Shimmer.” Human Twilight offered, calmly yet pleadingly. “We literally can change the world, all I need is information. Please… just say yes.”

Sunset Shimmer then started to become a bit uncomfortable due to the strange vibes she was getting from the alternate Twilight and how she was becoming more manic with every word and backed away a bit.

“Uh… maybe I should go…” Sunset began as she started to leave only to be aggressively grabbed by the arm by Human Twilight.

“Don’t turn your back on me!” Human Twilight growled, much to Sunset Shimmer’s surprise. Her voice then started breaking. “Please Sunset Shimmer, this is my one chance… if I can figure this out people will finally notice me! I won’t be invisible anymore! I’ll be respected by all! Please!”

“Look, Twilight, I know you want answers but poking around something like this won’t do you any good.” Sunset Shimmer warned her. “It could get you into trouble.”

“That’s a risk I’m willing to take.” Human Twilight stated, passionately. “After all, I am a girl of science.”

“But why?” Sunset inquired.

“If I can find the source of this energy, I’ll be famous! It could be a new source of energy for the city, perhaps even the world!” Alternate Twilight said, excitedly as she looked through all her papers pinned on the board and her bubbling test tubes.

“So you want to find whatever caused these… strange lights and make them a source of energy?” Sunset asked, trying to understand what she was planning to do.

“All in the interests of science of course.” The other Twilight added. “Plus people will notice me!”

“But… what if what caused them doesn’t exactly have a clear answer? What if it isn’t science?” Sunset Shimmer inquired.

“Whatever it is I’ll figure it out, with science, after all science is the key to everything.” The bespectacled Twilight said, confidently.

Sunset glanced away, wondering if she should explain to Twilight what those events really were. She knew this version of Twilight would think that she was crazy, but since Applejack always told her to be honest she decided to reveal a bit about the truth and work her way up. “Well… actually Twilight I don’t think those strange lights were caused by anything… scientific at all,” she said. Human Twilight turned to her.

“Then what caused them then?” The human version of Twilight asked her, curiously.

“Would you… believe me if I said it was magic?” Sunset asked, smiling sheepishly. Native Twilight just stared at her blankly.

“You’re kidding,” she responded, deadpan.

“No… actually I’m serious.” Sunset Shimmer admitted.

“Need I remind you Sunset Shimmer that in primitive cultures fire was once considered magical as well.” Native Twilight stated. “Today it’s all just a bunch of cheap parlor tricks.”

“But what about those… ‘strange events’ you talked about?” Sunset Shimmer pointed out. “I mean… I wasn’t really there but… they sure seemed magical to me.”

“That’s science.” Human Twilight insisted. “I don’t know how, but it is. Everything can be explained by science.”

“But Twilight…” Sunset Shimmer began.

“I told you; there’s no such thing as magic!” Human Twilight snapped. “Now if you’ll excuse me…”

Twilight then walked right past Sunset Shimmer and towards the door.

“Where are you going?” she asked.

“To the spot where I saw the giant winged unicorn shaped anomaly and nothing is gonna stop me.” Native Twilight stated, sounding determined before she left, leaving Sunset Shimmer alone with Puppy Spike who whined sadly while Sunset picked him and petted him gently with a sad expression of her own, for it seemed that the magic of friendship wouldn’t work on this version of Twilight… but something else will.