• Published 23rd Apr 2012
  • 8,609 Views, 499 Comments

The Ultimate Sacrifice - DarkWolf



Metal 0-1 is warped into Equestria after a strange turn of events in "Down The Rabbit Hole"

  • ...
30
 499
 8,609

Chapter 2: Contact Front!

Chapter 2: Contact Front!

Hours seemed to pass as Sandman aimlessly trudged through thick vines and shrubbery. He hadn’t heard any more shots since he started, but the forest seemed to be becoming less and less thick, until he found himself standing in an open field. He could see in the distance what appeared to be a small town, a source of hope. He began to start running towards it, but stopped mid stride.

"What am I doing?” He thought. He didn’t know where he was, what type of people lived in that town, or if it was hostile. For all he knew, he was still in Siberia. If he walked into that town, he could be shot by some Russian troops stationed there. Plus, he still hadn’t found Truck or Grinch. He couldn’t leave them behind if they were still out there in the woods. After considering his options, Sandman felt as though he had no choice. He would have to enter the town, but he would do so quietly. He would sneak around the side of it and try to watch the place for a while, just to make sure everything was all clear. He could see a lone house on a hill outside the town itself. It seemed like a good vantage point and the most secure place if things were to go south, although it was going to be a bit of a walk. Regardless, he got up and slowly made his way to the hill.

The sun had just begun to creep up behind the horizon when Sandman got to the house. As he approached, he could begin to make out voices coming from inside and shadows passing by the shutters of one of the few closed windows. He could tell that they were speaking English, which gave him some hope that he could find help here, or at least a radio of some sorts to contact Overlord.

“You got to believe me! I wouldn’t make this up! I went into the Everfree forest and I ran into a weird monster looking thing!”

Sandman heard someone shout inside the house. The voice was female. He paused below one of the windows to listen in on the conversation, slightly interested to hear about this so called monster. Although the window was closed, he could still hear everything clear as day.

“Well, what did it look like Fluttershy?”

Did someone just call her Fluttershy? Sandman gave a slight smirk. "Talk about a bad nickname.” He thought to himself.

“It had a tan looking body, but I couldn’t see its face because it was wearing a black mask over it! I walked over toward it to see if it needed help, but then I heard this... really loud noise and it scared me away.”

Wait… was this “Fluttershy” talking about him? He looked down at his tan uniform and at his black visor covering most of his face.

"No, impossible. Who doesn’t know what a Human looks like? But… the gunshot… if this person heard that gunshot and ran away, then was this the yellow figure that ran away from him? Her story fits perfectly with what happened…”

His train of thought was cut short when another female began speaking.

“Hmm... it certainly doesn't sound like any animal I have ever heard of. Are you sure it wasn't another pony? I don’t know anything else that would be tan and wearing a black mask.”

“No! I would have known if it was another pony! Please, you have to beleive me!” The voice announced again, sounding like it was about to start crying.

"Another pony? What does that mean?" Sandman continued listening, letting that odd statement slip out of his mind.

“Do ya remember where it was, sugarcube?”

“No, well… it was really far off into the woods. I was out looking for some herbs that Zecora asked me to gather for her if I found the time. I had just found some of them when I noticed it lying on the ground.”

“Was there anything else you remember about it?”

“No, but I remember on my way back here I heard the same loud noise again. It was a lot closer then, so it scared me a lot more than the first. I thought it was trying to chase me, so I flew as fast as I could back here.”

There was no doubt now. It had to have been this person who was in the woods with him. Sandman turned around and looked out back at the woods.

"Truck, Grinch, where the hell are you?”

Sandman thought for a moment, and knew he couldn’t sit here forever. He needed to ask these people where he could find a phone, radio, or in general anything that could help him get in contact with Overlord.

"Hang on; did she say she FLEW as fast as she could back here?” Sandman pondered it for a moment. "Huh, must be some odd figure of speech.”

“HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT HERE!?”

M9 in hand, Sandman quickly turned around to face the source of the voice addressing him, only to be met with what appeared to be a rainbow colored… horse? A rainbow colored horse with WINGS? All of a sudden, the horse flew up and kicked him square in the face. Sandman fell back, accidently discharging his M9 in the direction of the house. He heard screams from inside the house.

"There! Th-that was the n-noise!" The voice proclamed fearfully.

Sandman quickly scrambled to his feet, only to be met by another kick to his head, resulting in his helmet being flung off and him being planted into the ground. The rainbow horse landed right on top of his chest before he had a chance to get up. He searched frantically for his M9, but found it lying about 5 feet away from his reach. He looked up to see the horse’s face mere inches from his own.

“I said, what are you doing out here? Huh? You trying to spy on us?”

“RAINBOW!”

It turned towards another horse, this one purple with a streak of pink through its mane. Standing next to it was four other horses. One was orange with a cowboy hat on, one was pink color all over, one was white with a purple mane, and the last one was yellow with a pink mane. The yellow one’s eyes widened when it looked down at him.

“THAT’S IT! THAT’S WHAT I SAW IN THE WOODS!"

All of them turned towards Sandman and looked at him in complete confusion.

“What is it?” asked the purple one.

"Ah don’t know. I’ve never see sumthin' like that before." said the orange one.

“Whatever it is, it looks completely ghastly!” said the white one.

“Ooooh! Is it friendly? Does it talk? Does it know what we are saying?” asked the pink one.

Sandman couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Are these horses TALKING? He quickly grabbed the rainbow one on top of him and threw it to the side. He lunged forward towards his M9, picked it up, and rolled over. The rainbow horse was already charging him again. Without a moments pause, he took aim… and pulled the trigger.