• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 4,930 Views, 103 Comments

The Lone Wolves - InfinitySlayer



Following an egregious misunderstanding, Noble Six must rise again to defend Equestria from a species he is far mor familar with in order to prevent both from falling to the common enemy.

  • ...
16
 103
 4,930

The Fallen

"How is the patient?"

It was the third time this week that Twilight Sparkle had checked on the patient. Honestly, she needn't keep bothering Nurse Hearts about him all the time. If there was any sign of change, which there wasn't, she would be the first to know. However, the nurse understood the reason for Twilight's concern. Everypony felt the same way about the patient. Twilight, however, felt it in a much more personal way. To her, this creature that saved all of their lives was, in a way, her new mentor.

The nurse gestured to the tall machine next to the patient's bed. It read that all his vitals were unchanged. His heartbeat remained slow and constant. Nothing to fear, but nothing to hope for.

"Same as he was yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that."

The nurse sighed one long, depressive sigh. She looked down at the poor soul. He was attached to various wires and tubes that kept him breathing. Around his bed was a multitude of beautiful, fragrant flowers, gifts from the countless lives he saved.

Twilight sniffed a little bit to hold back her tears. Ever since the battle against the aliens ended, she hadn't been the same Twilight Sparkle everypony knew and loved. She was much more reclusive, reluctant to leave her library for any reason besides her daily visits to the hospital. Her mane was constantly disheveled, and her complexion was always that of sadness. Of course, her friends loyally stood by her every day. If it weren't for their kindness, generosity, and a certain pony's joyous parties, Twilight would have lost it a long time ago.

"When do you think he's going to wake up?"

Twilight asked this question every time she visited. Nurse Hearts' answer was always the same.

"It's impossible to say. He's in a coma, Ms. Sparkle, he has been for the past three weeks. He may wake up tomorrow, in a year, or never. Nopony knows for certain."

The nurse already knew what Twilight's next question was before she said it.

"And no, we can't forcefully wake him. That will cause irreversible damage on his neurological systems."

Twilight gently placed her hoof on the creature, hoping by this act of kindness the soldier would spring back to life. He did not. All she felt was the cold hardness of his metal armor, the shell of his former being.

The nurse looked directly at Twilight's eyes. They glistened with tears. The nurse tried to hold her tongue, but her words came out before she could stop them.

"Why do you constantly beat yourself up over this? It's not healthy, Ms. Sparkle." The nurse placed a hoof over her mouth to stop herself.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to intrude." Twilight waved the comment away with her hoof reassuringly at the embarrassed nurse. She cleared her throat, then paused as she waited for the right thing to say. Her voice was cold and wavering when she finally spoke.

"That's alright, Nurse Hearts. Its just...he's like family to me now. Princess Celestia saved him, gave up her life for his. I don't want her sacrifice to be in vain."

The nurse produced a sad smile sympathetically. The entire kingdom had been crushed by the lost of Princess Celestia, especially her sister. Princess Luna was forced to hold the same responsibilities her sister had while she was banished to the moon.

"I wouldn't be too quick to say that she's gone, Ms. Sparkle. Don't give up hope just yet."

Twilight nodded slowly and returned the same sad smile "Maybe. If only."

Twilight gestured to the sleeping human. He seemed content, as if he had finally found peace.

"If he just woke up, we would be safe from any future alien invaders. You've heard what ponies have been saying. If the aliens come back, he could be our only hope. "

A single tear from Twilight's eyes fell onto the soldier's gray armor. It slid down his side and dropped to the floor with a little splash. After this, no words were spoken for a long time. Only the rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor dispelled the silence. Both the nurse and Twilight simply looked at the human, their thoughts dancing to memories of those fateful days when he saved them.

Some time later, Twilight broke the silence with the sound of her magic. She levitated a single pristine white orchid out of her saddle pack and placed it gently on the table next to Noble Six. After this, she cleared her throat and spoke to nurse.

"I'll be going now, Ms. Hearts. Thank you for everything. Please don't give up on him."
"I won't, Ms. Sparkle. I promise. And if you ever need anything, you know where to drop by."

Twilight smiled, turned, and trotted slowly towards the door, taking one last look at the fallen warrior. Sighing greatly to herself, she pushed open the heavy hospital door, and left the soldier behind her for another day.

A few minutes later, Twilight exited the grand hospital. The bright sunlight wrapped her in a pleasant warmth. A chilly breeze wafted through the countryside. Around her were the standard sights you'd see in Ponyville, besides for the three hundred or so Royal Guards dotting the town. Canterlot, the main headquarters of the Royal Guard, was under reconstruction after being decimated in the alien attack. Most of the guard was stationed at Ponyville to protect Princess Twilight and Noble Six in the case that the outsiders should return.

On the center pavilion outside the hospital, Shining Armor stood with a large group of other guards discussing things Twilight couldn't quite hear. Their armor and weapons glistened brightly in the mid morning sun. All of them, especially Shining Armor, seemed very anxious, even alarmed. Twilight slowly crept towards, comically darting in and out of bushes as she approached the gaggle. Once very close, she removed a bush from the pavilion and used it to disguise herself...as a bush. To Captain Armor and his troops, it looked like a large bush with eyes was creeping up on them. They were all too busy to take any formal notice of the stealthy bush.

Once inside listening distance, Twilight heard what was making the troops so anxious.

"You're absolutely sure, lieutenant?" Shining Armor asked, his voice near trembling. The lieutenant nodded his head once and spoke warily.

"100 percent, Captain. The planetary alarms are going off like crazy. Something, or should I say somethings, have broken into our atmosphere."

Shining stroked his chin in nervousness. "The alien ships' trajectory?"

The lieutenant tapped his magical horn once with his hoof. "If my magic serves me right, directly towards us."

Shining Armor's anxiousness disappeared from his face as his resolve hardened. Twilight's internal alarms went off in her head. Shining could be dangerous and rash when he grew overly transfixed on a plan.

"Then assemble all our unicorns, quickly, Don't panic the civilians, this could be a false alarm."

Shining Armor looked at the lieutenant with an icy stare. The lieutenant remembered the time he called for a code red when he thought his magic detected huge ships. They weren't. The poor birds never had a chance.

"Not this time sir. I almost guarantee it." The lieutenant mentally slapped himself when he realized that those were his exact words the last false alarm. The other guards snickered to themselves. Shining slammed his hoof on the ground.

"Focus! This could be for real. Go, be back here in two minutes."

The troops composed themselves and saluted.

"Sir yes sir!" They fanned out in search of all the unicorn guards they could find. Twilight replayed the events in her mind. She wondered what could be entering the atmosphere, if anything. Was it those terrible aliens? Or was it something else?

Twilight snapped out of her thoughts when Shining addressed her directly.

"This bush seems mighty suspicious..." He said in a playful tone, He levitated the bush away from Twilight to reveal a jokingly stunned Twilight. On her face was an expression Shining hadn't seen in a long time. A smile.

"You caught me. Do I get arrested now or something?"

Shining looked at his sister somberly. He remembered the days when they were happy. Those old days when their troubles were few and far between. They weren't that long ago. But they were gone.

"Haven't seen that expression on you in a long time, Twilight. You should wear it more often."

"I should. But times haven't been good lately. You know that, perhaps more than anyone.

Shining nodded in agreement. He spoke to his sister in a more serious tone. "Don't worry about this situation. It's probably a false alarm again, for the second trillionth time."

From behind them, a deep, masculine voice addressed Shining Armor.

"Sir, all enlisted unicorns present and accounted for." Shining and Twilight turned to face the lieutenant. Twilight's eyes opened wide when she saw the huge group of unicorn guards assembled in perfect formation. In the short amount of time since Shining's command, the lieutenant assembled 200 troops, who now stood with their hooves held high in salute and their military expressions set in stone. Twilight often forgot the vast amounts of discipline and perfection the Royal Guard performed on a daily basis. Shining cleared his throat and addressed the formation in his loud, military voice.

"As most of you have already guessed, this is probably a false alarm. Nonetheless, remain on high alert until I give the clear. Am I understood?"

"Sir yes si-"
"What are those!"

Twilight's outburst cut the formation from every finishing it's statement. All of them looked surprised at Twilight. Her expression was clearly stunned terror. Every pony eye followed Twilight's outstretched hoof to the objects she was pointing at in the sky. Every single jaw dropped open as they witnessed the spectacle before them. Descending from out of the clouds were not one, not three, but five gigantic alien vessels. They flew at unbelievable speeds towards Ponyville. The air around them trembled with the vibrations the ships' engines created. To Shining Armor, the aliens' intentions were clear. In a nearly panicked tone, Shining called out to his troops.

"Form up, fire offensive beams on my command!" The entire formation turned swiftly to face the oncoming ships. Every one of the guards fired up their magical horns with intense power, prepared to release destructive magic on the alien invaders.

Twilight sensed something inside her. A niggling feeling in her gut. Something about this wasn't right. Then she realized what was wrong. The ships in the sky didn't look at all like the alien vessel that besieged the planet. Twilight had figured for a long time that Noble Six's species might find him eventually. What if those ships were his rescue?

Twilight sprinted in front of the formation. She called out the troops as loud as she could.

"Wait! Take a good look at those ships. Do they look anything like the ship that attacked us?"

The soldiers considered the vessels more carefully. They saw the difference clearly.

A million thoughts coursed through Shining's brain all at once. Should he take the risk of annihilation and let the ships approach? Or should he order his troops to fire upon the vessels before they grew to close? His options were limited. He let his emotions get the better of his mind.

"Fire now! Don't let them get close!" The troops focused their magic at the ships. Twilight couldn't let them do this without reason. Not when this could be the very salvation she had been asking for.

"As your princess, I order you to hold your fire!" Twilight had played the power card. The troops held their fire. They were faced with a decision. They could either disobey their princess and fire, facing the repercussions in the future, or they could disobey their commander and hold their fire, facing the repercussions in the future. Soldiers don't like lose-lose scenarios.

"Fire!"
Don't fire!"
"Do it now!"
"Don't do it!"

Soldiers are not used to hearing contradicting commands. Usually, the only commands were, "Fire!" and "Charge!". This was obviously not the case.

Shining knew there was only one way he could get his troops to make up their minds. In a reckless action to get control over his men, and to get them to do as he commanded, he shot the first magic bolt at the fleet of cruisers. The soldiers saw this as a viable reason to do the same. In half a second, every one of the 200 troops fired their magic at the cluster of ships in a continuing stream. Twilight ducked for cover to avoid getting blasted to pieces. The magical streams of energy had disastrous effects on the unshielded, unprepared UNSC warships. Fires erupted from horrendous cracks made in the ships' hulls. In less than a minute, every ship had been terribly damaged.

"There goes your precious fleet, alien scum! What are you gonna to do about it?!" Shining Armor screamed maniacally at the alien ships. Twilight cringed. If there was something a sane pony never, ever did, it was to tempt fate.

One the largest of the ships, a large oblong cylinder of metal turned to face the pony defenders. Shining Armor's victorious expression vanished instantly. With an ear splitting crack, the MAC cannon launched 50 tons of accelerated particles towards Ponyville.

Twilight knew there was only one way to save the residents of the unsuspecting town. Summoning every single ounce of her magical power, she formed a huge, flaming purple ring around as much of town that she could manage. Using the last of her magic, she completed the spell. Every single pony inside the flaming purple ring teleported safely away from the town just as the MAC round slammed into the ground like a meteorite.


"Casualty report!" Captain Marcus called out to his lieutenant. The bridge, along the rest of his vessel, was in shambles. Sparks flew from dashboards in frantic flurries. Electrical wires hung down from the ceiling like flaming vines from a broken tree. Most of his men were scrambled along the floor, knocked around like potatoes as the ship lurched with every explosion.

"Weapon systems are down sir, so are long range communications! Life support operating at 20 percent capacity!"

Marcus growled to himself. How could he let this happen? He should have seen the ambush coming. A Covenant presence doesn't just disappear from a planet.

"Get me patched in with the Hammer." Marcus called out to his lieutenant. After some button pressing, the captain of the Hammer appeared on the main monitor. The situation of his bridge was the same, if not worse, than the Valkyrie's.

"That was a pleasant surprise," The young captain said sarcastically.

"What just hit us?" Marcus asked the captain, coughing on the smoke that wafted through the bridge.

"No clue, captain. From the video feed, it looks like hundreds of random rainbow beams just slammed into us from a nearby village. If it weren't for the MAC round, we'd be done for."

Marcus nodded. "Any other news?"

"Yes actually, thanks for asking. We found your little heroic Spartan, alive, in the settlement. He's on route to your ship by Pelican now,"

Marcus fell slowly back into his captains chair. They found him. After years of searching, he was finally here.

"Anyway, I have my own troubles to look into. See ya, pops."

"Don't call me that!" Marcus replied to his son, thoroughly annoyed. The monitor screen died, and Marcus was left with his own thoughts. Noble Six was alive, and he just rescued him from Covenant clutches.

"Sir, the Spartan is aboard." The ship's AI said to the captain.

"Bring him in."