• Published 4th Oct 2014
  • 417 Views, 6 Comments

priceless - Derec mc coy



When Rainbow Dash heared of a competition in Dodge Junction, she definatly wants to compete But it’s a competition for duos. She decided to go with Applejack. But the longer she’s in the competition, the more she doubt about the reason sh

  • ...
10
 6
 417

first round, first feelings

“Good mornin’” Applejack said. She was standing in the tiny kitchen and preparing some breakfast.



Rainbow Dash stood a bit dazed in the doorway, and looked at her friend with sleepy eyes. “You’re up already?”



Applejack placed two bowls on the table and giggled a bit. “Already? Ah slept longer than Ah usually do on the farm.”



Rainbow Dash took a seat, and immediately dug in. “That’s cool and weird at the same time you know that?” she said with her mouth filled with oats.



“Dash, Ah would appreciate it if you eat with your mouth closed.” Applejack said a bit annoyed. She still didn’t heard a ‘thank you’ or a ‘good morning.’



“Sorry” Dash said, again with her mouth stuffed.



After they finished breakfast, they heard a hard knock on the door. “That would probably be Roban.” Applejack said.



“Now?” Rainbow Dash asked. “I wanted to do some warm-ups before the competition.” And she stretched her wings.



Roban came in and smiled brightly. “No time for that miss Dash. Time to go to the arena.”



“Fine.” Dash sighed.



Roban smile again, and walked outside the kitchen. “You follow me?”



The two mares brought their dishes to the sink, and followed Roban outside. “So, where is this arena exactly?” Rainbow Dash asked, a bit curious.



“Not far from here.” Roban opened the door which leaded to the old stairway. “It’s a five minute walk or so.”



The three ponies left the building, and walked over the dirt road.



“If you don’t mind” Rainbow Dash started. “then I’ll make some practice rounds.” And without waiting for an answer, she took off and left the two earth ponies behind.



“What was that?” Roban asked.



“Don’t mind her.” Applejack said. “She’s just a bit stressed out, because she really wants to win this competition.”



“And may I be so curios to ask you why?” Roban asked while they walked around the corner.



“Of course. Ah guess.” Applejack answered. “See, Rainbow Dash always wanted to join the wonderbolts one day. She already took an entry exam, but she can’t afford to go to college. It’s all too expensive.”



“So she needs the prize money to finance the college.” Roban said.



“Exactly.”



“And what about you?” Roban asked.



“Ah can use some money to fix our barn.” Applejack responded.



They both turned around the corner. “there it is.” Roban said.



In front of them stood a humongous building. It had the shape of a giant circle, with walls, as big as two apple trees. The wooden walls were decorated with tiny statues and ribbons. The colourful lights shone brightly on the crystal peaks on top, and spread a beautiful prisma of colours.



“wow.” Applejack said astonished.



“Big isn’t it?” Roban said.



Rainbow Dash fell out of the sky. “Is this the arena?”



Roban guided the two mares inside, and brought them to a small room. Rainbow Dash flew immediately to a tiny window, which gave her a view from the inside of the arena.



“Applejack?” Rainbow Dash started. “You’re not going to belief this.



Applejack stepped next to Rainbow Dash and tried to get a view too. “This is insane.”



In the inside, there was an open field, surrounded by tribunes. And it seemed like every single seat was taken. On the field, there were little hill, and as far as they could see, also a gap. Which could be a sort of a valley. On the edge of the field, there were wooden planks, and other building material. Probably for the next challenges.



“Seems like all of Equestria is gonna sit here.” Applejack said.



“You would think so.” Roban said. “You two, wait here. I’m going to check out the other competitors, and when everypony is here, we can start. Just wait here, until somepony brings you to the stage.”



Rainbow Dash turned back to the window. “I don’t see a stage.”



Roban smiled. “That’s because the stage is above us.” And he walked outside.



Rainbow Dash turned to the astonished Applejack. “Can you believe it? We’re here. In the biggest competition EVER.”



Applejack nodded slowly. “Ah’ve got to admit. This is big.”



All of a sudden, a new mare stepped in she was pale white, with short aqua manes. She levitated some paperwork with her magic. “Rainbow Dash and Applejack?” she asked.



“That’s us.” Applejack said.



“Please follow me. It’s time to start.” The unicorn said.



“Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!” Rainbow Dash could barely hold her excitement. “Finally…”



After they walked a bit, the mare stopped at a door. She opened it, and revealed a stairway. “Go upstairs, and wait for your names. When you hear your names, go through the doors, and stand with the other duos on the stage.” The unicorn said.



“Got it.” Rainbow Dash said.



“Okay.” Applejack nodded.



The unicorn walked away, and left the two mares alone.



“Seems like this is it.” Applejack said.



“No turning back.” Rainbow Dash smiled.



The two friends walked upstairs. The higher they got, the stronger the voices from outside were. When they were on top, they could fully understand the voice. “Cloud Kicker and Thunder Rush.” The voice said.



Rainbow Dash listened carefully now. “Cloud Kicker and Thunder Rush?” She asked herself.



“You know these two ponies?” Applejack asked.



“Yeah, we were in the same class back in flight camp.” Rainbow Dash said. “they’re pretty cool, but not as good as me.” And she smiled confidently.



Applejack rolled with her eyes. “Of course they weren’t.”



“Applejack and Rainbow Dash” they heard.



“That’s us.” Applejack



Rainbow Dash opened the door. A ray of bright sunlight hit their eyes, and blinded them for a moment. When their eyes were accustomed the light, they found their self on a huge stage with five more duos. The two walked over the other competitors, and waited for what happened next. They looked at the huge crowd in front of them.



Rainbow Dash looked behind her and saw Filthy Rich, together with Twilight and the sheriff, on a special tribune, right behind them.



Filthy rich walked to the megaphone and tried to calm down the crowd.



“Please… May I have your attention…Thank you” He yelled through the giant wooden megaphone. “In front of me, you see twelve brave and sportive ponies. They will all compete against each other. In this, particular field in front of them. They will compete… for the prize, of a lifetime.”



With that, He made the audience cheer again.



“But…” He continued. “What do they have to do? I’ll leave that to Princess Twilight.”



Twilight stood up, and walked to the megaphone. “Our competitors must prove their mental, and physical strength during this whole game. And we will test every single term of that. One, by one. The first test, is a race. Our Competitors must prove that they are the fastest, and also the best team player. Because the time of the slowest one, counts. The last duo who arrives, will not compete in the next test. But, to make this more difficult, we have filled this path with little obstacles. Like low hanging branches, spiky rocks, and stiff climbs. So our competitors have to watch their hoofs.”



Rainbow Dash and Applejack observed the path. Their rout was around the field. Close to the tribunes, but far enough for the crowd to watch the running.



“And remember, no wings, or magic are allowed. Play fair, and be careful. Cheating will be punished.” Twilight ended.



Filthy Rich walked back to the megaphone. “May I ask the competitors to go to the starting line. We’ll give the start signal in several minutes.”



Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked at each other. “This is going to be easy. It’s like Running of Leaves all over again.”



“But we ended last, remember?” Applejack said while they trotted to the start line.



“But we were competing against each other. Remember? Now, we’re going to beat all those ponies, and get to the next round.” Rainbow Dash smiled.



Rainbow Dash and Applejack got to the start, and stretched their bodies, before they had to start. Next to them stood a few ponies who they saw earlier in Cloudsdale, Appleloosa, and Manehatten. But they couldn’t remember all the names.



“Get ready.” Filthy yelled through the megaphone.



Rainbow and Applejack, and all the other duos set themselves ready to go.



“Set…”



Applejack looked at Rainbow Dash for the last time, and focused back to road ahead.



Rainbow Dash licked her dry lips and watched the path.



“GO!”



All the competitors flew out of their starting positions. Rainbow Dash led ahead, followed by Cloud Kicker and Applejack.



“Come on Applejack!” Rainbow yelled. “Get your flank in gear!”



“I’m on it.” Applejack yelled back. “But you don’t have to yell.”



Rainbow Dash jumped over some spiky rocks. “I don’t see you next to me.” She yelled.



“I know!” Applejack jumped over the rocks as well. She was overtaken by Thunder Rush.



Rainbow Dash looked behind. “For Celestia’s sake.” She yelled. “I thought you could keep up with me.”



“I know!” Applejack yelled. “Just calm down a bit.” She yelled back.



“Calm down? And trot behind to have a tea party? This isn’t a joke Applejack.”



“Well, You’re not helping me.” Applejack snapped back.



Rainbow Dash climbed up the hill, without decreasing speed. “What do you expect? That I carry you to the finish?”



Applejack bit on her teeth. “Some cheering would do.”



“Fine.” Rainbow Dash was on top, and ran downward. “Good job Applejack. Now, three ponies overtook you.”



“DASH!” Applejack yelled. “Stop yelling at me like that!”



Rainbow Dash turned her head and looked at Applejack. “If you’d run faster, then I don’t need to jell!”



“Watch out!” Applejack warned. But it was too late. Rainbow Dash ran straight into a tree, and slammed her head into a branch.



“Oh no.” Applejack mumbled. Rainbow Dash laid unconscious on the dirt road. She doubted for no second, and lifted Rainbow Dash on her back. “Ah have to do EVERTHIN’ by myself.”



Applejack continued the race with her unaware friend on her back. In front of her, she saw two ponies going down by those branches.



Applejack had some experience to run in forests, since she lived on an apple orchard. She got out the close flora as fourth, and ran the last piece with all the power she had left. Running with a friend on your back isn’t that easy. Luckily for her, the finish was near.



“Al…most…” Applejack panted. She jumped the last metre and laid on her belly. She made it as the seventh pony to cross the finish line. “Thank Celestia…” She turned around and saw three more ponies running behind her.







“My head.” Rainbow Dash mumbled. she woke up in the room of her hotel. “What happened?” she asked. She laid on her bed.



“You ran into a tree, and fainted.” Applejack said.



“I.. I fainted?” Rainbow Dash yelled. “Does that mean… we lost?” Rainbow asked afraid.



“Nope. Ah carried you on My back, and we made it as the fourth duo.” Applejack answered. “So, we’re still in.”



“You carried me? How…” Rainbow Dash stood amazed.



“Could Ah do this?” Applejack trotted a bit closer. “You’re not the only fast pony around here.” She smiled.



Rainbow Dash needed some time to progress this. “So… you are telling me that you beat every team on your own, with me unconscious on you’re back?”



“As I said. Not every team. Just two of them” Applejack smiled even brighter.



“That is just awesome and insane. You proved… This… How… Thank you… Why did you do this?” Rainbow Dash said excited. “You know how awesome that is? It’s…”



Applejack placed her hoof on Rainbow’s mouth and looked deep in her eyes. “Can you please shut it. This was important for you, right? And Ah promised you to help you win this. Right? So all I did was keeping a promise.” She removed her hoof .



Rainbow Dash nodded.



Applejack turned around and started to trot away. To her room “You’d better sleep. You were away for a pretty long time.” she stated. “And you will need the sleep for tomorrow.” And she left the room. “Good night.”



Rainbow Dash nodded again. “Good night” She felt a bit warm in her chest and sighed with a smile. She fell down on her bed and grabbed her blanket. “She IS awesome…”