• Published 19th Oct 2014
  • 1,637 Views, 16 Comments

Disharmony - Pyrus_uk



Equestria has been a land of harmony for too long. It's time to bring balance back to the world.

  • ...
9
 16
 1,637

First impressions

To say any life is perfect is far from the truth. To say my life is even decent is outright ridiculous. My name is Matt and I am the only human in Equestria. To many people, that would be something of a dream. But to me, it’s slowly turning into a nightmare.

I was taken from my own world without any warning. Fell asleep on Earth, woke up in Equestria. Yeah, I thought it was pretty crazy too. Especially when I met my first local. Land of multicoloured talking horses? I officially classified myself as insane. But no matter how many times I pinched myself or stamped on my own feet, I just wouldn’t wake up. It dawned on me that the situation I was in was very real. Unfortunately for me, things didn’t improve from there.

It wasn’t long before I was detained by the local guard. Turns out being of an unknown species will do that. I told them I wasn’t a criminal and to let me go but they were having none of it. I thought about trying to escape, but the sharp spears inches from my back snuffed away that idea. I was thrown into a cell, had a blanket thrown to me and told to stay quiet until the ‘Princess’ decided my fate.

I never thought I would ever feel so helpless. I had no control over anything that was happening. Everything about my life up until now could never have predicted this. No-one would ever think that their life would lead them into this mess. But there I was, sat in the corner of a jail cell with my knees up against my chest. I had no idea what to do.

I sat there for what I would guess to be a few hours before my cell door opened. Two guards came inside with their weapons pointing towards me. I figured that it was either time for me to meet this ‘Princess’ or they were going to run me through on the spot. Turns out it was the former.

They led me down a hallway and into a room. Inside, there was a desk with a stool next to it. They told me to sit down and not to move. As I did so, the two guards stood either side of the only entrance to the room and watched me like hawks. A few minutes later, the door opened.

And that’s where my story truly begins...


“Who are you?” I said quietly as I looked up at the large being in front of me. She had a feminine and regal look about her. Tall, majestic and flowing with authority. She had a white coat with a multicoloured mane which seemed to flow in a non-existent breeze. As soon as I saw the regalia she wore, I realized my previous question was quite stupid. This was the Princess.

“I should ask you the same question.” she said with a suspicious look. Her guards were standing ready.

“M-my name’s Matt.” I said back nervously.

“Well, Matt. I am Princess Celestia. I have a few questions for you, which you will answer without complication. Is that understood?” she said sternly. I was officially shitting myself now.

“First of all, what are you?” she said.

“Uhh...human?” I said nervously. I didn't mean to make it sound like a question, but I was too focused on the large horn protruding out of her head. It had a slight glow to it.

“And what are you doing in these lands? There are no records of you entering this kingdom with permission.” she said plainly. I didn’t like where this was going.

“I don’t know how I got here. I don’t really know where ‘here’ is.” I said, briefly drifting my gaze to the two guards who were still glaring at me. “Where am I? What are all of you?”

“As I said before, I will be asking the questions. You will answer.” she said with an emotionless tone.

I gulped as I rubbed my hands nervously.

She looked at me with suspicion. “I must inform you that lying to a member of the royal family is a criminal offence.” She paused to continue her glare at me. “Do you wish to amend your previous answer?”

“I-I’m not lying.” I said quietly, not sure if she’d truly believe me. “I don’t know how I got here. I've never seen anything like this before.”

Silence washed over the room as she continued to eye me with suspicion before her expression slowly relaxed, closing her eyes. “Very well.” she said with the same emotionless tone. “You are in the kingdom of Equestria. I rule over this land alongside my sister. These lands are inhabited by ponies, who are our subjects.” She opened her eyes to look at me. “If what you say is true, then my next question holds even more importance.”

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was definitely not in my own world anymore. I held my breath as she paused, before she finally asked her question.

“Do you intend to do harm to Equestria or our subjects?”

My eyes widened at that question. Her horn glowed slightly brighter as she fixated her gaze upon me. The two guards behind her tilted their spears slightly towards me.

“N-no!” I said quickly.

She kept her gaze fixed on me as her horn continued to glow. I wondered if she was expecting me to continue, but what else could I say? I had no idea what had happened to me and I had no idea what I was going to do.

The glowing in her horn died out before she let out a sigh. “Well, I'm going to hold you to that.” She turned to the door as her guards moved around the desk to stand behind me. “Follow me, Matt. We have much to discuss.”


We left the detention centre and moved to what appeared to be a town hall. On the way, ponies watched me nervously. Many of them ushered their kids back inside their homes as we made our way past. Something told me that if the princess wasn’t present, the town would be in pure panic.

We made our way into a small meeting room as Celestia’s guards took a position outside the room. We both sat down at opposites ends of the table.

“Let me explain my plan from here.” Celestia began. “You claim to not be from this world, so you need to be accustomed to it.”

This surprised me. “Wait, what about going home?” I asked suddenly.

She raised an eyebrow at my outburst. “You don’t know how you got here, correct?” I nodded before she continued. “Well, I’m afraid I don’t know either. I can’t send you back where you came from, even if it is possible. I haven’t the capability.”

“There has to be a way!” I said in a panicked state. “I got here somehow, I must be able to get back!”

“That’s enough.” she said plainly as she raised her hoof. “I already told you, there is no way to send you back. The best course of action to take is to smooth this already volatile situation.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. My mouth hung open as I stared at her from across the table. Could she really not know how this happened? Not even a clue or a guess? What’s worse is that she sounds like she’s not even willing to look into it.

“I know of a place where you may stay. I know of some ponies there who will take care of you.” Celestia said.

What choice did I have? I figured that maybe I would find a way back home, but I knew that my options with Celestia were now limited. I was in no position to start demanding things. It would probably just get me locked up anyway.

“I guess that’s the only thing to do.” I said weakly before my eyes drifted down to the desk.

“I’ll have you escorted to the town. It’s half a day’s journey by carriage.” she said before a guard came in and stood beside me.

“Follow me.” she said plainly.

I stood up and began following him out of the room. Before the door closed, I chanced one last look at the Princess. She held an emotionless look upon her face. The door closed and I continued following the guard down the hallway.


Celestia sighed as the doors closed. “This is not the most opportune moment for this.” she said before looking over to the darkened corner of the room. “Wouldn’t you agree?”

“What are you planning to do? He didn’t seem to know what was happening.” A voice said from the darkened corner. A grey stallion slowly walked out of the shadows. He had a white mane and appeared quite aged.

“I don’t believe him for a second.” Celestia replied, returning her gaze to the doors the human just left through.

“Do you think this ‘human’ has something to do with ‘him’?” the stallion asked.

Celestia felt her jaw clench slightly. “Too early to tell.”

“Well this ‘human’ certainly does appear to be similar to the drones which roam the badlands. Perhaps this is a new breed he’s developed.” the stallion said plainly.

“Yes, I did notice.”

The stallion gave her a confused look. “Then why did you send him away? If what we suspect is true, then that must be what ‘he’ wants.”

“This can cut both ways.” she replied. “This human may hold valuable intel about our enemy.”

“But if that’s the case then the human is our enemy!” the stallion replied quickly.

“Locking him up won’t get us what we need. Besides, I trust the ponies I’m sending him to.” she said calmly.

“The elements?” the stallion asked.

Celestia nodded. “Send word to the intel division about this development. We must start planning. I’m counting on you, Arch Mage.”

“So” the Arch Mage said as he walked fully into the light. “Another chapter is about to be added to the history books.”


Twilight sat at her desk, engrossed in a new book. A steaming hot cup of coffee sat beside her. Muffled sounds of furniture being moved could be heard from upstairs as Spike continued his chores. The sounds stopped shortly before the upstairs bedroom door opened, revealing a small and rather dusty dragon.

*BUUURP*

Twilight put a bookmark on the page she was currently reading when she heard the familiar sound. Closing her book, she looked over to her Dragon assistant as he jumped off the last step. After making his way across the room to her desk, Spike handed her the letter he just brought into existence with his dragon fire.

“Thank you, Spike.” Twilight said, receiving a small nod from the small Dragon.

Opening the letter, she began to read:

‘My dearest Twilight,

An apology for the short notice, but something very important has occurred. We recently apprehended an unknown being in our lands. After some light interrogation, we established that this being is intelligent but does not claim to know how he arrived in our kingdom. At this time, we have no evidence that supports this claim, nor any that indicates his origin to one of our bordering nations. We have our suspicions that he may have come from the badlands (due to his striking resemblance to those that inhabit those lands). However, until we can verify his origin, I am sending him to you. I would like you to find out as much as you can about him. As far as Equestria is concerned, this is a discovery of a new species. I appreciate that this is a considerable risk, but I truly believe that you are perfect for this task. Your methodical and calculating mind, mixed with the support of your friends should see to your success.

However, if anything should happen, you will have the full support of the royal guard at your disposal. I highly doubt it will get to that, though. You also have the elements, should you need them.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you feel the need to.

Kindest regards,

Princess Celestia’

Twilight’s mouth hung open. She re-read the letter to make sure she truly understood what it said. Spike looked up at her with a concerned expression.

“Is everything alright, Twilight?” he asked.

Twilight set the letter down on her desk before standing up. “Spike, I need you to prepare the spare bedroom.” She said as she made her way to the front door.

“What’s going on?” he asked in a worried tone.

Twilight stopped at the door and looked back to Spike.

“We’re going to have a visitor.”