• Published 16th Dec 2014
  • 484 Views, 1 Comments

Show Within a Show - Windy Writer



Equestria has always seemed a little too good to be true, even for a fictional world. Something could be lying deeper, where we can't see it.

  • ...
1
 1
 484

Fireworks

“♪Let the rainbow remind you, that together we will alwa~ays shine♫!” Twilight’s voice rang through the castle as the photo was snapped of her and her friends.

“Cut! That’s a wrap. Good show, everybody,” somepony called from out of the scene, “I’ll send it to post and we’ll be done for another couple of months. For now, I hope you all have a good vacation.”

The present company all sighed with happiness. The cast in that scene waved to each other, all going their separate ways. In particular, Twilight, walked over to the one whom had called the end, whom seemed to be in an ever-present argument with a furious draconequus.

“So, you’re telling me that the little dragon gets a raise because he humiliated himself in front of millions, but I don’t get one despite having just fed the minds of thousands of fanfiction writers with the bouquet I handed Soliana!?” the aforementioned yelled at his producer.

“Sorry, Drac, things just don’t work like that,” the minty-green mare sighed, “‘Sides, Spike’s got to support himself somehow; he’s only a kid.”

“He’s nineteen, Film,” Drac deadpanned.

Film scoffed, “And I suppose you need it more for something else?”

“Hmm,” the chimera rubbed his chin, “Does caring for one’s ninety-thousand year-old mother count!?” Drac yelled at her. Film blinked.

“I’ll think about it,” she turned, seeing her star coming up, “Ah, Sparkler, it’s good to see you. How are the wings?” she laughed.

Sparkler rolled her eyes, taking the wings off with her magic, “Still itchy, Film Strip. I’m just here for my pay.”

Film coughed, her laugh being forced to stop, “Erm, yes,” she shuffled around in her suitcase for a moment, pulling out a check, “Here you go.”

“Thank you,” she smiled, seeing the string of zeroes. She passed by Drac, whom glared vigorously at her.

“Yeah, suck up to sparkle-butt, you cheat,” he muttered.


The mare, content that she need not enter the studio again any time soon, stepped out of the building, starting her trot home. She pulled out a small music-device, listening to the first song on the list. Truthfully, Sparkler did not like her pseudo-personality of Twilight Sparkle. The thought of someone such as that did not sit well with her, but she dealt with the part while she acted; a mere side-job while her family business of pyrotechnics would be in it’s down season. It’s not to say she hated the show she helped make, more that she could never understand why so many people took the show so seriously.

I guess it’s an escape,’ she thought, ‘I would want one with the way the country has been running lately.’ A thought passed over the fandom of the whole thing. Two whole worlds partook in it. The first was her own, adoring it as a wishful glance at how the world should be run. The other, a neighboring dimension, where the planet in question was run by a bipedal colony of primates. The two worlds mingled in interest about what the next episode would be like, trading fanfictions and headcanons, making music and art, and just chatting in common interest about it. However, her world never quite let the mirrored one know they were the true proprietors of the fantasy tale; instead letting them believe it was their precious ‘Lauren Faust’ that had made it.

Truthfully, it was the fandom that Sparkler found worthwhile. She adored the fans she had, especially all the little fillies. She delved into the fandom world later on, finding it had it’s shining highs; like the music flowing through her ears currently, and it’s disgusting lows; such as the thousands of porn-fics that involved her and other parties, usually her female co-workers. Still, she loved every last one to bits. She remembered seeing a human talk show that had a sixteen-year-old human boy go on air to give his thoughts and perspective on the phenomenon.

Something tapping on her leg snapped her from her thoughts. She stopped and looked back to see as small earth pony filly, probably no older than six, holding what seemed to be a greeting card and a pen. The hopeful look in the filly’s eyes just melted her heart. The filly mumbled something that was muffled by the card and pen. Sparkler levitated the objects out of the filly’s mouth. “What was that?”

The filly shuffled her hooves, shyly looking at her, “C-could I get an autograph for my big brother? He’s a huge fan and he’s in the hospital right now. Mommy said he’s fighting a bad disease and that we should make him feel happy since he might lose and have to go away.”

Sparkler’s smile faded. She looked down at the card, opening it up. It showed a crude drawing of a tannish-orange colt with a messy charcoal mane smiling next to a crudely drawn variant of the lilac-colored filly in front of her, also smiling. The words ‘GET WELL SOON’ were written hastily above the picture, and below was the signature of the filly, Aurora, and whom she assumed were the foal’s parents. She gave a sad smile, writing her stage name and true name underneath the parent’s. She handed the filly back the card and pen, watching her run along after muttering out a ‘thank you.’ Sparkler sighed, getting back on her path towards home.

I never wanted to be the main character,’ she thought, ‘I thought I was just going to get a nice side-part to make a few quick bits, maybe a minor role to Soliana’s lead role, but here comes the thought that a pyromaniac would make a good main character.’ She sighed again. ‘At least Firework made friends because of my show about it.’


“I’m home!” Sparkler yelled into her home. She immediately felt warmth rush over her as, besides for her brisk travel home, she had spent the last few hours in a hyper-air-conditioned building that frowned upon sweat on it’s star’s features. She waited a few moments, taking off her saddlebags and taking a quick glance into the living room, finding it empty. She raised an eyebrow. ‘That’s odd. Usually that colt would be yelling his flank off at his headset.’ She took another step outside, checking the nearby shed, not finding a trace of life. “Okay, now he’s got me curious.”

Walking back inside, she cantered upstairs to use the bathroom quickly before going down the hall. She stood in front of the door she traditionally referred to as ‘Fire Zone’ much to her family’s constant groaning. She opened the door, hoping to find whom she was looking for.

“Firework. are you in he-” She made a double take, noticing another pony in there with him. A pegasus filly about his age, currently perched on top of her son. The two females stared awkwardly at each other before the aforementioned colt spoke up, obviously anxious about his mother’s reaction to the situation.

“Yeah, mom?”

Sparkler stared incredulously for a few more moments, before muttering out, “Finish up and meet me downstairs. Both of you.”

She closed the door and walked back downstairs. She managed to catch a young stallion walking in just as she entered the kitchen. Said stallion walked over and nuzzled her quickly before pouring himself some coffee. “How was the last day, honey?” he asked, floating over the newspaper from the table.

“It was fine. I got to watch a pretty humourous fight between Drac and Film today. Ran into a filly on the way home that wanted my autograph for her dying brother,” she said casually.

“Oh,” he looked over the paper with a crestfallen expression, “Poor thing.”

“She seemed pretty oblivious. I’m sure she’ll understand once her parents tell the truth,” she told him calmly, putting a pot of water on the stove.

“Anything else?” he arched an eyebrow, “No crazy fanboys. No spontaneous crying from Dream Chaser?”

Sparkler smirked. “Well, it seems that Firework has a fangirl now.” Her husband scoffed, acknowledging the living room void of colts screaming profanities. “She’s currently upstairs trying to set off his fireworks.”

“That’s nice,” he said. A few seconds passed before he jolted upright. “Wait, what!?” He stood straight up and bolted for the stairs. He was almost there before a solid wall of magenta appeared in front of him, causing him to stop instantly. He slid down the ethereal surface, rubbing his nose when he hit the floor. Looking back at his wife, he seemed very confused and upset.

Dropping the barrier, Sparkler spoke up, “Now, Blaze, there’s no reason to get all hyped up. He is reaching that age already.” Blaze looked between the lavender mare and the beige stairs. He sighed.

“I suppose you’re right. Was he at least wearing a condom?” he asked with a hint of hope.

“From what I saw, I’m going to go with no,” Sparkler shook her head. Blaze’s shoulders slumped, and he sighed. Sparkler walked over and nuzzled him. “Would embarrassing him in front of his girlfriend make you feel better?”

“Totally,” he smiled.

Author's Note:

:twilightblush: I really don't know what spawned this. However, this does start the revival of my writing life. Keep tuned.