• Published 30th Sep 2014
  • 17,509 Views, 1,209 Comments

Just Roll With It - sunnypack



Ever had your Dad marry a mythical creature? Ever just wanted a normal life? If this is you and you're not me, then this is exactly what we don't want, right?

  • ...
86
 1,209
 17,509

10 - Devices

Chapter 10: Devices

I woke up to find Discord curled up asleep on my chest. No wonder it is getting so difficult to breathe. I carefully repositioned him so that was next to me, instead of on top of me. Discord muttered something incomprehensible and curled up tighter. I couldn’t help myself, I broke out into a smile. Cute little one.

I had almost exited the castle into the dark night when thankfully, a unicorn (well even if they were called something different here I’d still call them unicorns) came by and handed me a small gem on a stick that glowed when I held it. With such a neat and useful magical device, I was able to make it back home without tripping and falling somewhere along the way because I wasn’t smart enough to bring a torch.

Tempora had also let the staff know that I would also be able to stay at the castle but I was worried about Discord. I knew wouldn’t leave him alone that night, not on the first night of his, hopefully permanent, stay.

I listened to his breathing for a while and then glanced at my watch.

8:38 PM

Oh that’s right my watch doesn’t give me the right time anymore. I thought groggily. I’d have to get that checked out soon. I always looked at my watch, though not always for the time.

I looked outside. It was still dark. It occurred to me that I hadn’t helped in the wedding preparations.

Tempora had been particularly pleased when I got along with her foals, perhaps I’m already helping them since Celestia doesn’t like the castle staff all that much. I pondered, my mouth quirked in thought.

Discord sneezed himself awake.

“A-Achoo!” He yipped, startling himself awake with the force of the sneeze. He almost fell off the bed before my surprised self could throw out a hand to gently nudge him back. I reached over to the bedside table and grabbed a couple of tissues and urged him to blow into them. After a moment’s hesitation, he did.

“Thanks," Discord mumbled, bleary eyes taking in the scene. He tried to stay more awake but I think my stroking was putting him back to sleep.

“‘Niiight," he slurred, shutting his eyes. “Always wanted… to say that.”

For the umpteenth time that I have seen Discord, I wondered where his parents were.

What kind of parent would leave their children in a forest to fend for themselves? I’ve heard of animal parents doing that but Discord is no animal and judging by Tempora’s knowledge, he has a species. What kind of sapient creature does that?

I sighed quietly, gently extricating myself from my bedcovers and tucking Discord back in. I hadn’t got much sleep but I needed to prepare some sort of breakfast for Discord. I knew I couldn’t trust my Dad, he could burn orange juice. I headed downstairs.

Hmm, the basement door was open which meant my Dad wasn’t doing his experiments. What the heck was he doing anyway? I hadn’t seen him for a while now. Ugh, I’m too used to his eccentricity by now.

I bustled around the kitchen, throwing together a simple spiced tomato soup with toast. Judging by Discord’s teeth and fangs he could be an omnivore like us, however I would err on the side of caution and ask Discord later if he had any special dietary requirements.

The stove appeared to operate similar to the electrical stove and there didn’t seem to be any major changes other than the fact it produced a blue flame instead of heating an electrical coil. I shrugged as I hummed to myself, throwing the ingredients into the pot and stirring occasionally. Not long after, the pleasant aroma of tomato soup filled the kitchen and I brought the heat down to a simmer.

I sat down at the kitchen table, idly fingering the old newspaper and debating whether or not I should give it a read or get up and make myself coffee. Just as I was about to get up a flash lit up the room, startling me.

“Arggh my eyes, Tempora do you have to do that every single time you visit?!” I yelled out, rubbing my eyes in futility to rid them of spots.

“Ehehe, I’m not Queen Tempora," a masculine voice replied. I froze, waiting for my vision to come back to me.

“Well I’ll be," I started slowly. “Teleporting unicorns. I’d only seen Tempora teleport around but I guess it makes sense that all of you ponies could too.”

“Though it would probably cause me permanent blindness," I muttered quietly so that the new visitor couldn’t hear.

“Oh pegasi and earth ponies won’t be able to teleport, only unicorns and alicorns may do so and they must be majorly advanced in the art of magic, well at least unicorns advanced but perhaps not for alicorns… hmm I think I may delve into that later, I wonder if Queen Tempora would give me leave to study her…” The grey unicorn muttered to himself.

I took the opportunity to study him closely. His flank was covered by a deep navy blue cloak studded with stars and crescent moons that gave him the appearance of a poorly dressed wizard. I sniggered under my breath. The cloak was alright but the bells were just crazy.

“Are you laughing at my bells?” The unicorn says suddenly and I stop laughing, choking down on the mirth.

“No, just at the combination of the bells and your cloak," I reply, leaning against the kitchen table.

“Ha ha, you’re a funny guy, I think I like you. Name’s Star Swirl. What about you?”

I raise an eyebrow.

“Harmony, but I think you already know that.”

Star Swirl nodded.

“Never go out into the field without doing your research," Star Swirl comments as he nods thoughtfully.

“Queen Tempora has really outdone herself, especially without King Spatium’s support. Hmm non-mirror stabilised travel, clever, clever. I would need some time and preparations but it can be done. Very good.”

I turn back to mind the tomato soup as Star Swirl ponders about thoughts and conundrums that I had barely an inkling of an understanding of.

I turn off the flame and check on the toaster. I slap my forehead. Oh right, no electricity.

I placed the bread in the oven instead. Perhaps that could work instead? I positioned them as close as I could to the flames in the oven.

I found Star Swirl playing with the toaster. I rolled my eyes.

“Curious contraption," he muttered, turning the toaster left and right.

“It’s a toaster," I comment mildly. “You’re lucky the wires aren’t live or you might get a nasty shock.”

“Live?” Star Swirl perked up. “Marvellous! More things to learn! What do you mean by live?”

“I meant that there isn’t any electricity flowing in the wires, uhm it might be hard to explain. You do know about electricity, right? My Dad mentioned something about that.”

Star Swirl nodded slowly.

“Yes a curious new phenomenon with very interesting applications.” He waved a hoof dismissively. “Ultimately just for novelty purposes only.”

“Are you saying that you found a way to extract a use for it?” He asks me curiously, tilting his head to the side.

I smile.

“Yes, the discovery of electricity and it’s many uses has lead to the invention of much technology on our world," I explain, taking the toaster back out of his hooves and placing it gently back on the kitchen counter beside the stove.

“Interesting," Star Swirl murmurs, looking around my house. “At first, I thought that this abode was similar to wealthy pony’s lodging, if only for the size differences of course, but I find that I am mistaken in my assumption. There is evidence of very precise machining and other fine craftsponyship all around me. Absolutely stunning. Wondrous.”

I chuckle lightly at that.

“You’re starting to sound a little like my father," I comment off-hand, checking on the toast. I pulled them onto a plate. I measure out some instant coffee.

“Ever had coffee?” I ask him.

Star Swirl’s eyes lit up.

“Cough-fee? I don’t know what that is but I’d be delighted to!”

I set the kettle on the stove and sit down at the table.

“Would you like a seat?” I offered, gesturing to a chair.

Star Swirl nods gratefully.

“Thank you, Harmony," he says as he clambers a little awkwardly onto the chair. It’s vaguely amusing to see his legs dangle awkwardly out as he shifts position but I try not to say anything.

“With your permission I want to perform an experiment," Star Swirl says as we wait for the kettle to boil.

“Hmm, I’m inclined to say okay but it really depends on the experiment. Plus, past experiences with experiments with my Dad has never been the best," I reply, rubbing a hand on my chin. The sound of the kettle boiling leads me to pour out the water into two mugs and I pass one to Star Swirl, after adding a little milk from the fridge, which appears to still be cool via some sort of mechanism. I didn’t think about it too much, the fridge hadn’t needed power for a long time now, after that incident with the frost experiment. I shuddered. I really didn’t want to think about it.

“It’s quite simple, I just want to test your aptitude in magic," Star Swirl continued sipping the coffee. His face screwed up with the taste and I chuckled. He placed the mug to the side.

“It has… an interesting flavour. What was I saying? Ah yes, the experiment will be simple, there will be no harm to you and it won’t take more than an hour, what do you say?”

I downed my coffee as I pondered what to do. Hmm, it didn’t seem too bad.

“Alright," I said slowly, placing my mug into the kitchen sink. “I’ll do it, what time would you like me to arrive and where would you like me to go?”

“If you don’t mind, I’d prefer for you to arrive at around 3 o’clock in the afternoon, in my tower at the castle. Just ask for directions and they’ll lead you there," Star Swirl responded, getting up from his chair. I mirrored his action.

“Okay, that seems fine, see you later then.” I held out my hand. Star Swirl looked at it carefully but then shook it slowly.

“Indeed," he parted and lit the room with a great flash of light again that blinded me once again.

“I hate teleporters," I muttered, rubbing my eyes again.

Author's Note:

Yawn I'm a little bit lazy but I did manage to write out another chapter.

For me university will be starting again soon so there will be, unfortunately, less opportunity for me to update this story. As well as the fact that I have commitments to others.

Next Chapter: The previous chapter's Next Chapter statement was false. Tempora discovers the wonders of video gaming and the Internet! Now the kingdom is suffering as she racks up Internet fame. Meanwhile Luna finds out about peanut butter and jelly. Instant love.

As always, my awe-inspiring and non-mangled readers, thanks for reading!