• Published 23rd Sep 2014
  • 636 Views, 3 Comments

Ancient Adjustment - Jolttra



An important archeological dig awakens an ancient warrior from a more savage time. His enemy long vanquished, Twilight is tasked with preparing him for modern life.

  • ...
1
 3
 636

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Is it ready?”

“Yes, doctor. Are you sure this will work?”

“If I can get it in the vein then hopefully yes. I would like to run more tests first, but at this point I’ll try anything.”

“Are we that desperate?”

“When your patient refuses to eat, drink or sleep for twelve days, a Pony starts to get desperate. An IV may be the only way to keep him alive.”

“Alright. Everything’s set.”

The nurse handed an IV needle to the Doctor’s skillful hooves.

“Thank you. Here goes nothing.”

He pushed the needle into Parvula’s overturned arm. The Yael offered no resistance. He hadn’t moved an inch for nearly two weeks. After only moving a millimeter in…

*SNAP*

The needle broke with half of it still embedded into Parvula’s thick skin.

“Um,” said a surprised doctor. “Do we have any stronger needles?”

“Trouble with Our patient?”

Princess Luna appeared in the corner, hair flowing despite the lack of a breeze. How long she had been there was anypony’s guess.

“Princess Luna!” The doctor tried to hide his nervous tone. “What a pleasant surprise.”

He tucked the broken needle behind his back, hoping the Princess hadn’t noticed, while his nurse removed the other half still in his patient.

“What brings you into the dungeon, oh Princess of Night?”

“We just wished to inspect Our special guest. Has he improved since last We came?”

“Er, no. I’m afraid he still refuses to eat anything we give him. I tried to give him an IV in hopes that would sustain him, but…”

“No need to explain. We saw that little incident.”

The doctors faced flushed with embarrassment from his failure. How much had she seen?

“Tis not thy fault. Go rest, thou and thy assistant. Our night is nearly done and neither of ye have rested for a moment.”

“As much as I would appreciate some shut eye, I can’t just leave my patient like this. He hasn’t eaten or drank in just under two weeks. Anypony else would have died by now. I doubt he can keep this up more much longer.”

“Anypony else, thou say?” Luna raised an eyebrow. “Why, We went a thousand years without so much as a drop of water or scrap of food and We still live. Do thy think it possible our guest is an immortal like We and Our sister?”

“I thought about that. There is no way he is an immortal. See these scars?” the doctor pointed his hooves at a series of deep marks in the Yael’s shoulder. “Born immortals never scar. Any injuries will heal no matter how severe. He’s completely covered with them.”

Luna knew this to be true. As a young filly her older sister had an obsession with racing which lead her to build a number of hazardous, half made go-carts, boxcars and other dangerous vehicles that she would ride, and inevitably crash, down the steepest hills she could find. No matter how badly little Celestia was hurt, she always got better and was good as new. As if it never happened.

“Then could he have been granted immortality after sustaining those wounds?”

“No. Immortals don’t need to eat. I don’t know much about his biology but I can see the signs of malnourishment. If he doesn’t eat eventually, he will die.”

“… We see. Thank thee for thy service. Please, rest.”

Luna opened the shimmering door for the two to leave. Any other day the doctor would have protested, but he knew there was no more to do. He and his nurse left the room, leaving Luna alone with the prisoner. Luna gazed at the once bloodcurdling beast before her. The one who had frightened half of Saddle Arabia, petrified the guards and even terrified her own sister. He was a mess. Looking at him now, it was hard to believe all that was true. There was no fire in his eyes. Slumped onto the ground, wallowing in self-pity. He wasn’t even chained anymore. The “monster” hadn’t so much as moved and those who had missed the early attacks, like Luna herself, would see nothing more than a sad animal.

“Still have yet to leave thy solitude?” the Lunar Princess asked. “Be it thy wish to spend eternity in this room?”

There was no response. Parvula never responded.

“There are many who are worried about thy health. They would be much happier to see out of here.”

Still nothing. Trying to appeal to the creature’s empathy wasn’t working. Perhaps she should appeal to another sense.

“We hear though had taken a liking to Our sister.” Luna struck a pose that she had read in a magazine was seductive. ““There are many young mares who would enjoy the company of such a strong, large, handsome Pony as yourself.

No response. So it’s come to this.

“Or,” the Princess continues, walking towards the depressed beast while swinging her hips with each step, “perhaps thou would prefer some royal accompaniment? We are the Princess of Night and have much time for, entertainment.”

Luna gazed deep into those small, grey eyes. He didn’t look back. Just kept staring at everything and nothing, oblivious to the world. Luna’s tail and mane dropped and she lost her poise. He had completely ignored what may have been the single most embarrassing moment in her entire life. And if there was one thing the Princess of Night hated more than anything, even more than lag, it was being ignored. Blue magic radiated from her horn and lifted Parvula’s head to her level.

“Listen, wretched animal. We are trying to help thee. We don’t know why thou hath shown nothing but indifference despite Our best efforts. Few even know of thy existence, and of those, many want this room locked up here and for the key to be thrown into Tartarus. Is that what thou wishes? To die alone, knowing the entire world has forgotten thee?”

He didn’t even blink. Had it not been for the subtle motions of breathing, most would think he was already dead.

“Get up on thy hooves. Get up, We say! This is not an option.”

The ancient Alicorn was losing the last shreds of patience.

“We said GET UP!”

Luna’s Royal Equestrian voice echoed, bouncing off stone walls and back into her sensitive ears. Hooves met eardrums and Luna’s head met the ground, shielding her from her own outcry. GET UP repeated over and over, angry booming. After a few minutes of regretting this decision, Luna’s recurring moment of rage faded away.

“So that’s what We sounded like,” the dark blue Alicorn murmured to herself. “And We wondered why none wanted Our company.”

“What is your malfunction?”

After nearly two weeks, Parvula finally spoke. Head down, claws over ears and began rising up his irritation was obvious.

“My hearing is poor enough without you making me deaf,” he complained

“It struck thee out of thy lethargy, did it not?” Luna spat back, not used to being criticized. “So thou hath no right to whine.”

“Yes, you got me up.” His great bulk turned away. “Now leave me alone.”

“Ridiculous. Thou must leave this empty room.”

“And why should I do that?”

“Because...” She had to think for a moment. “Because thou shalt surely die if thou does not.”

“Sorry, but you will have to do better than that. At this point dying is not the lesser option.”

Parvula slumped down, not far from where he started. A few quiet moments passed.

“Would she want this?”

“Who?” the Yael grunted.

“Lilium.”

Parvula shot up, shock on his face.

“Would she want this? For you to give up. To die, alone, wallowing in self-pity.”

Parvula stared at the Night Alicorn, eyes wide in astonishment.

“Well?” Luna egged on. ”Is that what Lilium would want?”

The mere mention of her name was like a slap to the face.

“….No.” He sighed. “No she would not.”

“So thou wilt come with me and leave this place?”

“…Yes.”

A small smile formed on the Princess’s lovely face. It was a low blow bringing up this Lilium, whoever she may be, but it worked in her favor. Four immense clawed feet lifted Parvula off the ground.

“Alright. I will follow. But never speak of her again.”

Blue magic shined from Luna’s horn to open the magic door, but then she remembered something.

“We forgot.” Blue encompassed a platter of clover sandwiches left in the corner, untouched. “Eat.”

“What?” the annoyance had returned.

“It has been weeks.” She pushed the plate closer. “Eat.”

“…No.”

“That was not a request. Eat.”

Parvula bared his teeth. He was met with an angry glare.

“Eat, or We will shout again.”

They kept staring each other down, calling each other’s bluff. Luna took in a deep breath and pinched her lips in preparation for the Royal Equestrian Voice. Begrudgingly he swiped the platter from the air and bit into it, metal and all, like a giant cookie. Metal screeched as teeth tore tin. Parvula chewed, shoving the rest of the platter and sandwich bits into his maw. He then chugged water from a metal pitcher, then ate the pitcher.

“There. Done. Shall we leave now?”

“Uhm…” Luna said, her face stuck somewhere between disgust and confusion. “Thou was not meant to eat the platter.”

“Too bad. Can we go now or do you have something else to waste my time with?”

Light poured out from the sole exit. This was a matter the Princess would have to shelve for later. She stepped into light and into a long hallway, Parvula following. Princess Luna took lead walking out of the dungeon. Parvula swung his head every which way, absorbing everything he saw. From the stain glass windows shining with moon light, to the small intricate details etched in floor tiles, he studied every inch he passed. Black coated guards wearing dark blue spiked armor appeared at nearly every doorway. Every single one of them stared down the Yael as he passed as if trying to intimidate him. It was rather cute the way they pouted their chests and stood tall while covered in the stench of fear.

Neither spoke during the long trek through the Castle’s many corridors. The only noise was the gentle clopping of Luna’s steps. Despite his weight, Parvula’s giant clawed feet were quiet as a kitten's paws. Every few minutes Luna would peek over her shoulder, just to make sure the big lug hadn’t wandered off somewhere. Each time he was there still taking in the view. She tried not to keep looking, but it was hard not to. Paranoia would build up until Luna had no choice but to turn her head. Looking at him now he was more imposing. Large and broad with that long narrow cheek blade. Still far from the unstoppable beast the rumors described. Before long the two reached the western wing.

“Wait here,” Luna commanded. ”Thou must witness this.”

Down through a stone-framed window, a stone courtyard could be seen. Dark blue Lunar guards were still posted at strategic points. High in a watchtower attached to the west gate a golden Solar guard relieved a Lunar guard of his position. A change of the guards. Neither the Moon, Sun nor Stars could be seen in the sky. Morning was upon the kingdom.

“So,” Parvula said. “What exactly will I see?”

The Princess did not answer. She was watching intently as three Ponies stepped out from the castle’s doors. Two of them were guards still wearing their golden armor. The third, however, was different. He was just as tall and fit as the others and had a mane every bit as white. But instead of armor he wore a simple brown cloak with a large knapsack swung over his side. The estranged trio spoke for a while, too far away to hear. Parvula noted how this site troubled the blue beauty beside him. Hair flowing against the wind, glazed eyes followed as the cloaked pony left to the western gate. Little by little his figure disappeared into the purple horizon, until he was gone. While Luna mourned this loss and the two golden guards hung their heads in shame, Parvula just scratched his head in confusion.

“... What just happened?”

“He quit,” Luna murmured. “He quit the Solar Guards. The first Pony to resign from the position in over eight hundred years.”

“Eight hundred years?”

Luna nodded
.

“Wow, “ the Yael muttered. “How pathetic.”

“…What?” Luna went from grief-stricken to enraged in an instant. “Did thou not hear Us?”

“I hear you. And it is pathetic. Eight hundred years without a single resignation.”

“Thy calls Us a liar?!”

“I believe you. What do these guards do all day? Stand around and look pretty?”

“They are an integral part of Our nation’s security!”

“You did not answer my question.” He turned away from the window to watch her response. “What do they do?”

“They…”

Luna’s mouth was open but no words flowed. Besides standing around and “looking pretty” they didn’t do much. In the last few conflicts since her return to Equestria the Solar and Lunar Guards have barely lifted a hoof. And from what she has read from the history books, in the rare instances where trouble has arisen during her absence they have done nothing to help. All they do is stand around, look pretty and occasionally go on a show march.

“That is what I thought.” The Yael shook his head. “Why did he leave?”

His question was met with a glare.

“What?” Realization. “Me? He left because of me?”

Nodding confirmed his suspicion.

“So no one quits for over eight hundred years and the first one who does is because of me?” A small smirk etched into the side of Parvula’s jaw. “That is hilarious.”

“Thou finds this funny? The Royal Solar Guard is the most Elite organization in the land. Fewer than one hundred Ponies qualify for service each season. Those few who do have a lifetime of benefits. The honor brought to the service-colt’s family lasts generations. They can have any Mare they wish. None have ever given that up. None, until thou came to Our land.”

“The second this “Elite” Guard has something they need to fight. Something that would make them perform their duty, they leave. Jump off like rats on a sinking ship.”

Luna lowered her head. When he put like that, it did start to sound rather pathetic.

“You have an army for Summer times. They will prance around this way or that in their shiny armor to your heart’s content. But when things get rough and it’s time to get dirty, they will abandon you. Pray I am the foulest thing to ever walk this land. Because there are worse. Far worse.”

Clawed feet walked noiselessly away. Tail swinging behind, Parvula moved on, then curved his head back at the Princess.

“Was that all you wanted to show me? Or is there something more convincing?”

Her eyes narrowed.

“Follow.”

Quick, lowed clopping trailed each step as Luna rushed ahead to her second and final destination. Up and up through spiral stairs to a small room at the top of a massive tower. Eventually the pair reached a small room in the highest tower of the castle. Parvula had trouble squeezing through the small sliver of an entrance. Luna sat and pulled a porcelain tea set from a cupboard. With expert practice she prepared a brew of green tea using magic flame.

“Sit. We have a few minutes to wait.” Luna poured tea into two small porcelain cups and floated one to her guest. “Drink.”

Parvula clutched the cup in-between two of his claws. It was barely a sip for him. After pouring the green fragrant liquid into his maw, Parvula gently placed his cup on the ground and tried to hold back a grimace. There may not have been much tea but it was strong and to him tasted of grass. The Princess seemed to enjoy her drink so the Yael chose not to speak.

“How is thy drink?”

Until now.

“It is…good.“ He coughed uncomfortably. “Uh, may I ask? Why are you putting in so much effort? What do you stand to gain?”

“We shall say that We empathize with thy dilemma and nothing more. Everypony deserves a second chance.”

“Right. And what would you know about second chances?”

“Far more than thee.”

Luna poured a second cup of tea for herself and her guest. Parvula winced and placed the cup down, pretending to be saving it.

“I appreciate what you are trying to do. But I don’t belong here. You know it, I know it and everyone who has met me so far knows it. So let me go and-“

“Who is Lillium?”

“…I told you not to talk about her again.”

“And We chose to ignore that plea. Who is she? What does she mean to thee?”

“I will say nothing.”

“Then speak of others. For instance, this Forsaken thou spoke of. Who is this?”

“You… you do not know him?”

“Well, no. Should We?”

Parvula’s eyes widened and his ears perked.

“So, the war is over?”

“War?” Luna tilted her head. “There hasn’t been a war for ages. Long before even Our time. What war do you speak of?”

Parvula didn’t answer. He had lifted his head, closed his eyes and let out a loud deep sigh.

“It is finally over.” His eyes opened to the beautiful Goddess before him. “I guess we won, then.”

“We do not know of what thy speaks. Please, enlighten us.”

“Hold, please.” Watery orbs formed around his beady eyes. “Let me enjoy this moment.”

The Yael gripped his head, trying to hold it all back. Luna couldn’t tell if this was the purest form of joy, or abject sorrow. She let him be for a while. There was much more she wanted to ask about him and this war he spoke of. But there was no time left for questions.

“Our time is up. We have one last sight to show. Wilt thou be able to carry on?”

“Yes, yes.” Parvula rubbed his eyes to wipe away his tears. “I will be fine. Let us see.”

Luna assembled her tea set and placed it back into the cupboard. She then stepped to a large purple curtain. Using her magic she pulled it aside, opening a path to a large balcony.

“Where are we?” Parvula inquired.

“This is the observatory,” Luna replied. ”We use this room to watch the stars.”

“Stars?” Parvula asked. “What are stars?”

“They are… new. We created them to celebrate the liberation of this land over a millennia ago.”

“What do they look like?”

“Like shining jewels covering the sky, glimmering in a way no diamond could hope to compare. Giving dreams to the young and creating an aura of romance for all lovers in the land. That is Our gift to Equestria.”

“Wow.” For once the Yael was genuinely impressed. “The people here are fortunate. I can not even remember the last time I saw the moon, let alone something like that. They must be grateful.”

“Yes.” Luna paused. “Yes. Grateful indeed.”

Luna gave a small sigh and stood at the end, then gestured Parvula to follow. Ducking under the archway and to the outside. The view was breathtaking. Snow for as far as the eye could see covered everything in a blanket of white. Orange, red, purple, blue and every color in between danced across the sky as sunlight rose from the horizon. Ponies emerged from their homes to begin their days of work and play. Young colts and fillies rushed off to school wearing small packs full of books and papers. Carriages brought fresh fruit and vegetables to open markets ripe and ready for purchase. Even the city itself was magnificent. Stretching miles in every direction, the Yael had never seen a settlement so large or so gorgeously designed. From the tops of the castle’s towers to the humble homes, he soaked it all in. Jaw hanging open, eyes at their widest, Luna knew she had him.

“We cannot return thine old life,” Luna said, Parvula not looking at her. “But We can provide a new life. A fresh start. Equestria would be glad to adopt thee as its newest citizen.”

“Adopt?” Parvula said still not looking away. “After all I have seen. All I have done. I do not belong here. It is too good for the likes of me. Too innocent. Too pure. No one would accept me.”

“Do not be so sure of that. Our subjects value forgiveness. We are confident thou would be accepted.”

“How are you so sure?”

“We are, let Us leave it at that for the time being. Think on it. Would not any of thy lost kin have taking such an opportunity? This is a chance to live a life free of torments past. No War. No Forsaken. Thou can be free.”

“You do not know my torments. Do no know the War. You do not know Forsaken. And you do not know me. But you are right. I will never get my old life back. And maybe that is for the best.”

“So thou is ready to begin thy life anew?”

Parvula finally looks away to face the Princess, sunlight causing her flowing mane to glow like how he imagined stars do.

“Yes. I am ready. Just show me the way.”