• Published 23rd Sep 2014
  • 398 Views, 6 Comments

Grounded for Life - Supremechief



They say the impossible is called that because that's what it is, inconceivable, unreachable, illogical, and unattainable. Steelbolt intends to challenge that statement as he embarks on a quest to achieve a birthright that fate cruelly denied hi

  • ...
0
 6
 398

Chapter 8: The Bat Family

Grounded for Life
By: Supremechief

Chapter 8: The Bat Family

***

Steelbolt knees feel like they are about to give in. This Bat Stallion may as well say that he was going to kill him with that menacing stare and whisper. What a fool he was. Just when he thought he was starting to make a friend who showed an act of random kindness for him he ends up dead. Although he knows that he would be missed, when you live with an horror loving older sibling it’s not hard to get some inspirations on how to disappear off the face of Cloudsdale for good.

Midna’s father raises his head back to an upright position as he makes his way back to his chair in front of the fire. Once he was seated he noticed the Steelbolt and Midna had not moved from their spots at the doorway to the room. “Midna, have you forgotten your manners? You know its rude to have a conversation while standing in doorways.” The stallion lectured the filly. Seeing the two of them still not leaving their spot the stallion resorted to a more direct invitation. “Am I wrong to believe that the two of you had walked some distance? Come, bring you friend over and take a seat.”

Midna rose to attention, “No father, you are not wrong. Come along Steelbolt lets take a seat.”

As Midna began to lead the way to the couch in the room that was adjacent to her father’s chair, Steelbolt almost fell on his face as legs had suddenly felt drained, as if he was walking much longer than he thought he did. After regaining his balance, he quickly followed Midna to the couch taking a seat that would place Midna between him and her father.

Midna’s father stared intently at Steelbolt who at the meantime was just staring down at his hooves for a few seconds before shifting his gaze towards his daughter.

“Midna…” he started to get her attention.

“Yes Father?” she replied.

“It would appear that your guest is a bit nervous.”

‘I can guess why.’ She thought to herself as she glanced over at Steelbolt.

“Why don’t you prepare a pot of tea and some snacks? I’m sure a gesture of hospitality would make him feel more welcome.”

Midna hesitated for a few seconds. While her father had the right mind of making Steelbolt more welcome, she did not think that spending time alone with her father was going to help with that. However, just a single look into his golden eye from behind his mask was enough to convey that it was not a request, it was an order. One that she should not challenge.

As he saw Midna leaving the room Steelbolt could not help but feel more dread. Even though he was only looking at his own hooves he could not help but feel Midna’s father staring at him with his single eye behind his helmet. It was not even for a few seconds after Midna had left the room completely that small beads of sweat began to form on his forehead and he had almost jumped through the roof when he heard a sudden click coming from the bat stallion’s direction.

He quickly turned his head to face the stallion out of reflex to the sudden sound and saw that the stallion had his hoofs to his head as he was removing his helmet. Once the helmet was off his head Steelbolt saw that his coat was a dull grey, a snow white mane that was tied back and an eye patch that covered his left eye that also failed to hide a large scar that passed over the hidden eye.

Once the stallion placed the helmet on his chair’s armrest he looked over to Steelbolt who immediately turn back to look at his hooves. Then Minda’s father studied the colt for about a few seconds before he began his interrogation.

“Correct me if I am wrong, but should it be far past your bedtime colt?” Minda’s father said while giving Steelbolt and intensive stare.

“Y-yes sir.” Steelbolt repied hesitantly. Even though he still avoided looking directly at the bat stallion, he could literally feel his stare as if he was slowly drilling a hole into his soul.

“Then why are you out of bed? You do realise that it is only by chance you came across my own daughter of all other possible ponies in this part of Cloudsdale.”

Steelbolt was about to retell the event that led up to how he became a guest at this house then the stallion interrupted him. “Before you tell me about you late night adventure, I want you to tell it to my face. I do not like foals who show little respect for adults.”

Steelbolt hesitantly turned his head and faced the stallion. Eventhough the look the stallion was giving him was intimidateing, Steelbolt was unable to look away. His mouth began to dry and his intire body began to shake in fear. He was not sure how but this stallion had an aura around him that could literly suck the life out of anyone.

“I suggest you start talking, before I make you. And so you know…” the stallion trailed off before he leaned forward and whispered. “I have ways to make you talk.”

Snapping to attension Steelbolt began to recall the recent event that led to the current situation. There was a stale silence between the two as the stallion’s eye scaned Steelbolts form as if he was a living lie dectector. Shortly afterwards the stallion leanded back into his chair and did something Steelbolt did not expect. The bat pony smiled and gave a small chuckle. “There, was that so hard?”

The surpise in change of character was almost too much for Steelbolt. Here he was with perhaps to most scary pony he ever encountered and after being almost threatened with torture the stallion was talking to him as if he was already family.

Steelbolt’s train of thought was interrupted however by the arrival of an acquainted voice. “Now that you are finished with your fun and games father, how about we all talk like a normal group instead of pretending you are on a mission somewhere else.”

Steelbolt looked towards Midna and found her to be air borne as she carried a large tray of assorted sliced fruit consisting of pineapples, kiwis, bananas and strawberries along with a teapot and a few cups as well.

The stallion smiled as Midna placed the tray onto the coffee table. “Very well Midna, why don’t you properly introduce your friend since he had not once bothered to introduce himself while you were elsewhere.” He said as Midna poured the tea into the cups.

“His name is Steelbolt father.” Midna said as she gave Steelbolt and her father their respective tea. “And Steelbolt, this is my father Black Mane.” She said as she took her seat beside Steelbolt away from her father.

‘Black Mane?’ Steelbolt thought to himself and took a second look at Black. ‘Either bat ponies are colour blind or he is much older than he looks.’

As Steelbolt was about to take a sip of his tea, he almost spat it back out when he saw Midna and her father use the thumbs of their wings to pick up their choice of fruit, a banana for Midna and a kiwi for Black. What happened next almost caused Steelbolt to cause his jaw to drop wide open. They were nibbling on their fruits with a chibi like expression. How can a couple of ponies from an intimidating race act so cute?

‘Maybe these fruits are just that good.’ Steelbolt thought to himself as he took a piece of strawberry into is hooves. After tossing it into his mouth he began to chew. ‘Hmm, well this strawberry is sure sweet but I still don’t get what the fuss in about with Midna and her father.’

“Ah, there is nothing like fresh juicy fruit.” Black said as he took a sip from his own tea once he and Midna finished their own snacks. He turned his attention towards Steelbolt. “In case my daughter had neglected to mention Steelbolt, we bat ponies are born with fangs thus cannot process food as large range of a diet as other ponies. Not sure what other ponies think, but to us fruits are considered a delicacy of the highest grade. Hence the reason we sometimes act like pet dogs trying to eat peanut butter.”

Deciding not to think about it anymore Steelbolt continued to sample to fruit and enjoy his tea. He was mid way through his sip when Black gave him another surprise. “So how is Paragrim? Still training wannabes and enjoying the peaceful life?”

Steelbolt coughed as he partially choked on his tea. “How, *cough* *cough* do you know my dad?” He wheezed.

Black took his turn to drink his own drink before answering. “Your father and I did some joint missions together back when we were a starting to make names for ourselves. I was there when he met your mother Nightingale while she was treating my eye.” He said bringing his hoof to his eyepatch. “I still do not know how but as soon I was discharge from the hospital a week later, those two were acting like they were already married.”

Steelbolt thought about what Black said and wondered if either his mother or father would validate the story if he asked them how they met.

“By the way Mr. Mane, how did you figure out who my dad was?” Steelbolt asked with curiosity.

The response he got was unexpected. Black looked at him with a raising of his eyebrow before giving an answer. “If you saw yourself in a mirror it should be apparent on how I knew. Other than having a brighter coat you are a splitting image of your father.”

Steelbolt blushed a bit in embarrassment as he mentally scolded himself for asking a question with an obvious answer.

The three of them continued their light conversation for a bit longer until Black took a look at a clock sitting on top of the mantle. “Hmm. Midna, I believe it is time for you say farewell to your friend.”

“Why father?” Midna asked.

“Dawn will be upon us. And I should ensure that this colt is returned home.” He looked over at Steelbolt who looked like he was about to say something. “And do not worry Steelbolt. I have been keeping contact with your father so I am aware where your live.” He said as the left his chair with his helmet in hand.

Steelbolt followed Black’s lead as they headed for the front door. Unknown to Steelbolt, Midna was following them intending to join them on the return flight. Her father on the other though, “Midna, go to sleep.” He said as he was about to open the door.

Before Midna could argue her father interrupted her, “I can fly faster with just me and your friend. Also young lady, you may be old enough to take care of yourself but still do not understand the state of this world. Now return to your room.”

No longer having the will to argue, Midna left Steelbolt and her father as she made her way back to her own room. Once she was out of site Black led Steelbolt outside where he allowed the young colt to climb onto his back as he placed his dual coloured helmet back on. “Hang on tight, keep your head down and close your eyes. I will be going faster than what perhaps your father was from what he told me about the two of you.”

Not willing to ask questions Steelbolt held on as tightly as he could on Black metallic neck collar. Black stretched out his leathery wings and crouched down like a cat preparing to pounce on its prey. Then without warning Black took off at a speed that nearly caused Steelbolt to lose his grip on Black’s neck in surprise. As Black leveled out Steelbolt tried to get a look at his surroundings but when ever he tried to open his eyes the force of passing air caused his eyes to hurt and even more so should he move his face from what ever little draft Black’s head was providing as he raced through the sky.

Steelbolt was not aware on how long the trip was but he did guess that they were close to his home when he felt a sense of weightlessness from Black beginning his descent. As the whistle of wind began to die down Steelbolt opened his eyes and saw they were nearing his home. And not only that but the night sky also seems to becoming brighter as Luna’s moon began its own descent behind the horizon.

Once Black had arrived to Steelbolt’s open bedroom window, Steelbolt slowly, though a bit painfully as his muscled became stiff from his tight hold during the flight, climbed off Black’s back and into his bedroom through the window.

“And do not worry about your pet, colt.” Black said hovering outside the window causing Steelbolt to turn to face him with a confused look. “If you trained your pet with enough care it will come home before long. After all there is little danger out there for a full grown hawk.”

Steelbolt thought about it and decided to accept it as he went over to his bed. As he pulled the covers on himself he thought he heard black say something before he disappeared, “Do not worry. You will meet us again.”

With a sudden fatigue washing over him as the affects of an all-nighter caught up to him. As sleep began to take over Steelbolt’s last thought was that there was still incriminating evidence that he was out in the middle of the night that he forgot to cover up.

***

Just as the moon disappeared and the sun began to reveal itself on the horizon, Black Mane had just arrived at his home. As he took a look at his sleeping daughter in her bed he gave a small smile under his helmet as he pulled the blankets that had fallen off her form with his wings before head off to his own room. When he arrives he saw that he had another visitor.

“Considering the events that transpired this night I should have expected you to make an appearance.” Black said towards the unknown figure who stood concealed in the shadows next to an open window.

The figure turned showing it was equine in shape though the exact species was uncertain. What was certain was that the figure’s eyes appeared to be in a constant state of a frown. And in those eyes was an unnatural dual ring iris of a golden yellow in the inner ring next to the pupil and a sunset orange in the outer ring.

“Is this how you always greet an old mentor now Black?” the figure replied with a slight Spanish accent.

“Only the ones who show up uninvited.” Black replied coldly. “I would also like to know why you arranged my earlier meeting.”

“What made you think it was my doing?” the stranger said as he pulled out a mane ribbon out from the shadow and tossing it onto the cloud floor. “Anyway I wanted your opinion on something. I’m sure you felt it too over a few months ago. I have reason to believe he may be ‘him’.”

“And you wanted me to verify that.” Black said giving the figure a distrustful look with his remaining eye. “After all,” he said as he looked towards a small picture on the room. In it were four bat ponies, three stallions and one mare. One Stallion looked like a younger Black Mane though his mane colour was indeed black at the time. Another stallion had a crimson coloured mane with a sadistic yet cheerful look on his face. The third stallion had a white and gold mane though he had a near feral look in his eye. Lastly the mare was similar to Midna in appearance, if her hair was in a loose bun, with a compassionate smile. “the four of us suffered greatly to create a substitute for ‘him’ and the ‘other three’ with me the only one other than her who was able to keep living a somewhat normal life.”

Silence took over the two ponies until Black continued. “As for my opinion regarding your ‘suspect’ I have my doubts.”

The figure pondered at the answer he was given. “Very well. I suppose we cannot be certain unless another outburst occurs. Therefore, I will continue to play the role I have assigned myself and continue to observe him. And if he not the one then it should still provide an adequate base of operation until I found the real source of ‘his’ presence. After all, only 'we' know what truly happened a thousand years ago and beyond. You and your comrades who still remain only knew because we told you.”

The figure then began to shrink until his eye became small yellow dots in the shadows. A flutter of wings was heard as a hawk jumped up to the window. The bird gave one last look at Black before flying off into the morning sky.

Black walked up to the window and closed it followed by pulling the blinds down to block out the growing sunlight. As he walked away from the spot after removing his helmet, his eye fell towards the mane ribbon laying on the floor. His expression shifted into a face or concern as picked of the strip of silk as he made his way back to Midna’s room. Placing the ribbon on her nightstand he gently placed his right hoof on her mane and gently combed it away from her sleeping face.

Feeling satisfied in seeing his daughter slumbering face he made his way out of her room with his final thought on his meeting with the stranger. ‘You have my word Midna. I am not going to let you become a part of ‘their’ war like we were.’

***

Steelbolt was having a pleasant sleep when he heard his mother yell from out of his window. “What happened to my gladioli?!”

Feeling a sense of dread, Steelbolt’s first thought of the morning was, “That’s what I forgot to hide.”

Author's Note:

For an unknown amount of time this story will officially be on hiatus as I may devote my time to other personal projects and other personal matter. Hope this chapter is satisfactory and interest you on the alternate universe I am attempting to create.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment