• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 1,126 Views, 38 Comments

The Untold Story of the Equestrian Civil War - mint20



War. Something that the peace loving land of Equestria hasn't had to deal with for over a thousand years. But now, a new threat shows it ugly face. And it comes from within...

  • ...
1
 38
 1,126

Chapter 1: DIVISION

Chapter 1: DIVISION
The Untold Story of the Equestrian Civil War

“Let’s go, Spike!” Princess Twilight yelled. “We’re going to miss the train!”

“Coming!” came the answering shout. The purple dragon stumbled down the stairs. “It doesn’t help,” he grumbled, “that your new castle is so dang big!”

At this, Twilight smiled, somewhat uneasily. “Yeah, it is, isn’t it?” she said. “I still can’t believe that this is my castle, now. It’s a little overwhelming.”

“Now, let’s go! We have things to do, ponies to meet! The train to Canterlot leaves in less than five minutes! Move, Spike!”

The dragon and the pony charged out of the crystal castle and ran to the train station. They made it without incident, and boarded the train with fifteen seconds to spare. They settled into the standard priced car, with Princess Twilight ignoring the uncomfortable looks of awe that the average citizens gave her. As a Princess, she had near unlimited access to the royal treasury, and could easily afforded to upgrade to first class, or even rent her own private car for the trip. She refused, however, instead opting to not allow her newfound political power and economic wealth to interfere with her personal life. She chose to stay loyal to the principles of Equestria, the ones that allowed the three tribes to come together all those years ago, under a single banner.

The trip passed with few events of note. Soon, the screeching of brakes was heard, and the train shuddered to a halt just outside the city of Canterlot. The pristine capital of the most peaceful nation on the planet shined brightly, with the white marble making it almost impossible to look directly at in the bright noon light. It seemed as if the glorious capital, founded over a thousand years ago after the destruction of the Lunar Rebellion, had stood forever, and was untouched by the very idea of war. Thanks to clever diplomacy and the threat of the Elements of Harmony, not to mention the fact that Celestia could shroud any aggressive nation in night forever, and refuse to allow their crops to grow, Equestria had avoided any real instance of war for a thousand years.

“Princess!” came the call from a pony that Twilight didn’t know, but, based off of the tone of her voice, clearly adored her. This, of course, drew attention to the fact that Princess Twilight was walking amongst the citizens, and soon, she was surrounded by a group of adoring fans of the Princess, before she had time to fully realize what was going on.

“Princess, can I have your autograph?”

“Princess, I would be honored to have you at my dinner party!”

She even thought she heard a stallion yell, “Princess, will you marry me?!?” but couldn’t identify the source.

Thankfully, she was saved by the Royal Guard, who extracted her from the mob and escorted her to the center of the city, where the keep of Canterlot Castle, and the seat of Equestria’s government was found. One of the most well-protected spots in the entire nation, huge war machines stood on the rampants, in the off-chance anypony dared to try the might of one of the greatest superpowers in the world. The last time they were used was during the Battle for Canterlot, during the short-lived Changeling Insurrection. Before that, never. War was a foreign concept to the world, with Equestria keeping the peace.

When Princess Twilight and her friends were forced to give up the Elements of Harmony, ripples were sent throughout the stage of world politics. Suddenly, Equestria was no longer the nation that could easily end any wars. Sure, the Princesses could still shroud parts of the land in night and starve out a nation, but that was a tricky business that could end disastrously. The two Royal Sisters had called a meeting of the Princesses of Equestria to address the fouling politics between the Changelings and Equestria, among other things.

As she entered the castle, she heard elevated voices. Shocked, Twilight realized that the voices in question belonged to Princess Celestia and Luna.

“...and I’m telling you, dear Tia, that the ponies will never stand for this! They will revolt!”

“Nonsense! This isn’t a thousand years, ago, Luna. The ponies of Equestria would never revolt. They adore us. The militaristic times of Equestria have ended. War isn’t even on their minds. Revolution would be the last thing to happen to this country.”

“Celestia-”

“Luna, if I may,” interjected a third voice, one the Twilight recognized as belonging to Cadance. “Luna is right, Celestia. Think of what you are proposing! You want to station troops in every settlement of Equestria! I can guarantee that nopony of Equestria will like this. What else will happen? You have to pay and feed these troops, don’t you? Raised taxes? A crop levy? Nopony will take that lying down. On top of that, a good portion will think that this is some excuse to start to take some of their rights. Conspiracy theories will start flying. Trust me, all of this will happen.”

“Times are changing, Cadance, Luna. Things must be sacrificed for security. Surely, they will see my wisdom.”

Twilight cleared her throat as she watched this argument, causing the ponies gathered around the table to start. They recovered quickly, and turned to smile at the young Princess. Twilight thought that Luna and Celestia’s smiles looked rather forced, plastered on as if to convince themselves nothing was wrong.

“Am I interrupting?” Twilight asked, acutely aware of the incredibly tense situation that she had walked in on, but also aware that, as a Princess, she had both the right and the obligation to know what was going on with her comrades.

“Not at all, Twilight,” said Celestia smoothly, before either Cadance or Luna could say anything. “Now that Princess Twilight is here, I move to open this council. All in favor?”

All of the present Princesses raised a hoof.

“Now, first order of business…”

The meeting in session, Twilight paid rapt attention to everything said. Not that it was all that interesting, in all honesty. There was some discussion about a slight increase in the value of the bit, the neighboring buffalo tribes, and there was a lengthy report on the affairs of the Crystal Empire presented by Princess Cadance.

As she finally ended her long winded speech, the Princesses nodded and Celestia said, “Thank you, Princess Cadance, for the update in the affairs of Equestria’s closest ally.”

“Now, we turn to the final matter of business: the Changelings, and other foreign threats.”

There was a slight increase in tension around the room.

Either not noticing or not caring. Princess Celestia continued, “We have received multiple reports of increased military activity from all known Changeling hives, not just the one that Chrysalis ruled. As of now, our intelligence network is attempted to determine the reason for this increased militarization, but we do not currently know.”

Twilight felt a cold shiver down her spine, but the Princess wasn’t done. “In addition, the Diamond Dogs living belowground have also become more and more aggressive. In the past two months alone, I have received eight separate reports of ponynapping throughout the entire land of Equestria.”

“Clearly something must be done. Ever since we lost the Elements, every foreign power seems to be inclined to challenge us.”

“You have always had, and will always possess, the backing of the Crystal Empire in these affairs,” said Princess Cadance.

“I know,” replied Celestia, smiling at the pink Alicorn. “However, I fear that that might not be enough. I think,” here she looked around the table, with an air of finality, “it is time to put the past behind us and look to the future. In the past, the Elements. working in concert with both my sister’s might and mine combined was always enough to ward off potential attackers. Unfortunately, the Elements are no longer with us. Instead, they are locked away in the Tree of Harmony. This has provoked every major power with a thimble’s worth of troops to attack us. In light of these disturbing times, I propose this timetable,” here she raised a sheet of paper, covered in figures, “for the building of armies and production of arms throughout Equestria.”

There was stunned silence for a long moment. Quietly, Twilight grabbed the timetable and studied it for a moments, running figures through her head. “Princess Celestia,” she asked after analyzing the document, “where is all this money going to come from? I estimate that this proposal would cost at least twelve and a half billion bits to put into play. I mean, look at this! ‘Construction of eight military forts along the Badland border. Tripling of the Equestrian Navy. Commissioning of ten new Armies of the Equestria...One hundred thousand swords, two thousand ballista, one thousand five hundred catapults. Eight million arrows, two hundred thousand bows!... All of the above to be completed by January 1st, 1006 CYP.’” Here, she looked up at her former mentor, shocked. “That’s less than nine months from now! How in the wide, wide realm of Equestria are we going to fund all this?!?”

Princess Celestia inclined her head briefly, and said. “I planned to increase the national income tax by eighteen percent. In addition, there is ten billion bits inside the national treasury that we can use.”

“You mean the five billion bits that I, not three days ago, earmarked to improve public education, and the other five, which I earmarked for medical research?” Princess Luna asked coldly.

Celestia nodded.

“Increase the tax rate by eighteen percent? Nopony will like that,” Twilight said, shuddering at the look she could already see forming on Applejack’s face. “Isn't there some other way?”

“Not that I can see,” responded Celestia.

“Well, I must object!” said Princess Luna, rather loudly. “I promised the citizens of Equestria that those funds would be used for the public good, not to make the tools of war. I cannot go back on my word.”

“I am inclined to agree with Princess Luna, Celestia,” said Princess Cadance. “May I also add that the proposition to station large amounts troops in every settlement of Equestria, even those far away from any border, is a disturbing one, at best?”

“May I remind you, Princess Cadance,” said Celestia, the tiniest of hints of irritation in her voice, “that as the ruler of the Crystal Empire, under the terms of the Equestrian-Crystalline Alliance, you are allowed to sit and listen to the counsel of Equestria. However, you are not allowed to vote or make decisions for me.”

“Yes, I am aware,” replied Cadance, with a small hint of anger that matched Celestia’s. “However, I am allowed to make recommendations to the rulers of Equestria.”

“Very well,” Princess Celestia said. “Now, Princess Twilight.”

Twilight paused for a long moment. I don’t know. On one hoof, Equestria has to do something, or we may be overrun by an enemy. On the other, though...this cost would be astronomical, and I don’t think I’m comfortable with a few hundred combat-ready ponies being stationed in Ponyville full-time, especially since Ponyville is so far away from any border…

Knowing the weight of her next few words, Twilight shifted uncomfortably before opening her mouth. Wishing that she was anywhere but there, she said slowly, “Princess...Princess Luna is right. We cannot, in good faith, force the ponies of Equestria to accept these increased taxes and security. At least, we should put it to a vote.” Her bit said, she blinked a few times, just now becoming aware of the heat in her cheeks.

Celestia blinked a few times, as if she was just struck over the head with a heavy object, several times. She seemed shocked that Twilight would openly disagree with her.

“Well,” Celestia said. “I’m shocked. I thought for sure that my proposition had some logic to it.”

“It does,” replied Twilight. “The cost is too high, though.” The other Princesses nodded their agreement.

Suddenly, Celestia had a flash of anger. Suppressing it, she said, with barely controlled sarcasm, “Well, since you run the Royal Council now, I suppose I will figure out a new proposition.”

“Princess Celestia,” Twilight said, sounding confused, “nopony ‘runs’ the Royal Council. It’s a group collaboration.”

Celestia snorted, then said, “Well, is there any more business for this council to hear?”

Nopony spoke.

“No? Then I move to close the council. All in favor?”

Everypony raised a hoof.

“Very well. This council is closed.”