• Published 10th Dec 2014
  • 5,940 Views, 52 Comments

Home Sweet Home: A Candy-Mare Tale - Knackerman



The Candy Mare comes home for the Holidays. What will it mean for the fledgling nation of Equestria? Read on to find out!

  • ...
6
 52
 5,940

Intermission

So far it seemed that the performance was well received. Luna and Celestia certainly seemed to have been absorbed by the story, their uncomfortable expressions melting away as the tale had unfurled. Starswirl was glad of the break as it gave him a chance to see how others in the crowded hall were reacting. It was clear the play was already something of a hit with the rest of the crowd, as there were many excited whispers shared about what had been seen in hushed tones while a few other ponies attended to more urgent matters such as visiting the garderobe. That seemed to be where Smart Cookie and Chancellor Puddinghead had wandered off to, or perhaps to purchase some festive concessions from the vendors out in the street. Princess Platinum was taking the chance to chat with Princess Luna. Though the two had something of a shaky first meeting, they had since become fast friends. The royal unicorn had even gone so far as to fill the Castle of the Pony Sisters with many beautiful tapestries of exquisite quality. Starswirl had to admit he had not expected the alicorn sisters and the mildly spoiled unicorn to get along so well, but he was relieved to see that they were still getting along just fine.

Commander Hurricane still sat as straight as ever, either unable or stubbornly refusing to relax, but there had been a certain wistfulness to his eyes as he had watched the play. Starswirl was almost certain he had seen the beginnings of a tear, before they were quickly hidden by concealing feathers and an agitated sigh. It hurt Starswirl to see his friend like this, but he knew better than to try and talk to him now. It was better to let the pegasus deal with his grief in his own way, rather than to force his own advice on him like some old fool, no matter how much he wanted to do just that. On the other hoof, there was the matter of his apprentice. Clover the Clever had sulked all throughout the performance, one of the few in the audience that did not laugh at the well told jokes, or even so much as gasp at the more harrowing twists and turns. It was true she had lived through the events this performance pantomimed, but that was not enough to account for her sullen nature. No, Starswirl knew exactly what it was that occupied his star pupils mind.

"Is the play not to your liking Clover? I thought the simulated windigos you crafted were rather impressive," Starswirl hazarded, a brave sally that was met with a blank stare. "The spell work must have been most intricate to shape simple ice shards into such convincing shapes," he finished lamely.

"Not really," replied the unicorn. The dark circles around her eyes told a troubled tale about just how much sleep she hadn't been getting lately. "Crafting convincing simulacra is easy when the particles are small enough." She smiled bitterly, "Though even the short amount of work spent on this parlor trick seems like a heinous waste of our time and talents. As is this entire play. Do I really need to stay here Starswirl? I think there are far more important things we could be doing at the moment and I'm sure you agree."

"We've been over this Clover," said Starswirl, not unkindly. "A break could do us both some good. Even if you refuse to rest your body, you should at least rest your mind. I find at times when I'm stumped it some times helps to step back from the problem and allow my mind to consider other matters, or perhaps to consider nothing at all. Sometimes the answer to a dilemma will occur out of the blue, if you just clear your mind. Obsessing like this isn't healthy."

"Obsessing? You think I'm obsessing!?" cried Clover the Clever. "We've been working for weeks, side by side and still we're no closer to a solution! Why wouldn't I be obsessed when the lives of everypony in Equestria may be on the line!?"

"Lower your voice my apprentice," rebuked the elder unicorn harshly, a flash of magic suffusing his eyes, uncharacteristically stern. Realizing that others were turning their heads towards the outburst, he mollified his tone, but continued in hushed words, "The crowd may be noisy, but there are still those who are near enough to overhear. Do you really want to risk causing a panic in this crowded theater? I meant no offense to you, you are as dedicated and true an apprentice as an old fool like myself could ever hope for, but you must realize that you're not behaving like yourself."

"Is that why you insisted I be here then?" She responded icily, "So you could tell me this in a crowded room where I wouldn't dare make a scene? I thought better of you."

"No Clover, I wanted you to be here so you could see what you once were. Yes I admit that this performance is mere frivolity, but it chronicles an important period not only in Equestria's history, but your own. I had hoped that seeing this would remind you of who you are, of the special things you had and still have, despite what you've lost." The warning that the play was about to resume went out over the audience. There was a mild rush of the crowd to resume their seats, though the bustle and excitement seemed the furthest thing from Clover the Clever and Starswirl the Bearded at this moment. "Your friends wouldn't want to see you this way, so absorbed in your work that you don't even have time to feel, to mourn. She most certainly wouldn't want to see you ignore your own well being for her sake."

Clover stared at the floor, her eyes hidden by her hood and the fringe of her mane. Even so, Starswirl thought he saw something glistening fall to the floor. "I know. I know okay? But there's nothing I can do for her now. I have to think of everypony else. We have to think of everypony else. I don't have time to selfishly fall apart, and it's wrong of you to suggest that I should. Everypony deals with these things in their own way. I know I might just be distracting myself right now, but you have no right to tell me not to. I will grieve when this threat has been put to an end. In the meantime, if you have anymore sage advice, I suggest you start with Commander Hurricane. Unless you want a witch hunt on your hooves, that is."

The old unicorn was taken aback by that, "What ever do you mean?"

"I forget sometimes, for all your wisdom, you're just as bad as I am when it comes to some things," said Clover with something approaching a smirk. "You've had your head buried in that journal even more than I have, haven't you? How could anypony expect you to notice that the construction of Cloudsdale has been completely stalled? The pegasi are busy with other matters these days Starswirl, there's only a skeleton crew tending to Equestria's weather. And this cold?" she said, turning puffy eyes up towards her teacher, "It's not entirely their doing, I'm afraid."

Starswirl had no time to consider the ramifications of what his apprentice had said before the lights were lowered and the play resumed. He couldn't help but stare hard at Commander Hurricane as the curtains were drawn back and the actors took the stage. It was true that his friend had been hurt, perhaps worse than anypony else by what had happened, but surely he wouldn't abandon his duty to pursue some personal vendetta? That was nothing like the loyal and dutiful pegasus he had known. However, as the actress who played the role of Private Pansy took the stage, a look came over the Commander's face that Starswirl had never seen before. It was there in a flash and gone in an instant, but it was unmistakable. It was a look less of wistfulness and more of intense regret. And perhaps more than a little longing.