• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 508 Views, 8 Comments

Wave and Dolce's Excellent Adventure - CategoricalGrant



Wave Function stumbles upon a financial windfall, and uses it to take his friend Dolce Tempo on a trip around the World.

  • ...
 8
 508

Manehattan

“All aboard!”

The unbelievably frilly train was stopped in front of Ponyville Station. Two ponies, flanked by large suitcases, stood before the open doors, both apprehensive to take the first steps on their 'world tour' before fully appreciating the gravity of their first steps, the very steps that would mark the beginning of a life changing, memorable journey that would help shape their very values and attitudes for decades to come.

Then they trotted on the train, went to their 1st class cabin and put their crap in the luggage area.

Taking a seat next to each other instead of across the cabin, the ponies visibly relaxed, the larger placing his back hooves on the cabin's table and the smaller stretching her wings.

“I don't know why they make these things out of magically strengthened gingerbread and icing. I don't know how they get these trains up to code,” Wave Function pondered aloud.

Dolce Tempo just shrugged and popped a stick of bubblegum in her mouth. Silence reigned for the better part of a minute.

Then, the train jerked and started moving such that Dolce Tempo and Wave Function were facing opposite the direction of movement.

Retrograde, Wave Function thought.

Backward, thought Dolce Tempo and the rest of the normal ponies on the train.

After about 10 seconds of staring out the window, Wave Function spoke again. “So.”

Dolce Tempo turned to him, raising an eyebrow. “So.”

“We have a three hour train ride. What do you want to do?”

“What do you want to do?”

“I brought cards,” Wave Function said with a hopeful grin.

“Something else.”

Wave Function's ears flattened against his head. “Well, I mean, we could talk.”

“I had to do so much stuff to get ready in almost no time. I'm tired.”

“...Or nap.” Wave Function sighed. I guess I can just read Foreign Affairs while she sleeps. Could be useful.

Dolce Tempo closed her eyes, her breathing soon slowing and becoming regular. Meanwhile, Wave Function had opened his magazine and began to peruse the articles on the nations they were headed to in the next month. Some time later, he noticed something peculiar in an article about Saddle Arabia. He was about to continue reading, when the train began a turn prior to a bridge crossing a large gorge. The turn caused his slumbering companion to slide across the seat, leaving her head resting comfortably on Wave Function's chest.

...On top of his magazine.

Well, that's mildly aggravating. Might as well just sleep now too.
Wave Function slipped his right front hoof around Dolce Tempo. She stirred slightly. Then he closed his eyes.


The train screeched to a halt, sending Dolce Tempo stomach-first into the side of the table, and catapulting Wave Function head first into the floor, his back hooves still on the table.

“Ahhh! Ow.” They both cried.

At that time, a pre-recorded voice came over the train's intercom, prompting Wave Function to wonder, despite the damage his brain had just experienced, how gingerbread conducted electricity. “Welcome to Fillydelphia. All ponies headed to Baltimare, please transfer here. The next stop will be Manehattan's Grand Central Terminal. Thank you for choosing CelesTrack.”

Dolce Tempo rubbed her side. “I've never been to Baltimare.”

“I have. Trust me, you're not missing anything. Never go there. I like it when my friends stay alive,” Wave Function replied, righting himself and massaging his aching forehead.

The two sat back down and the train began moving again. The train clicked as it glided across the rails, and the two ponies sat back in the cabin's seats. They looked out the window, and, over the course of about ten minutes, watched the urban jungle of Fillydelphia fade away and be replaced with a shallow green valley and far off, the Eastern Sea. The sun was beginning to fall behind the horizon, sending magnificent beams of color across the sky and water.

“I'm sorry I didn't play cards with you.”

Wave Function turned to Dolce Tempo, raising an eyebrow and allowing a small smile to play across his muzzle as his friend kept her eyes trained outside the window and continued to speak, “I was tired. This whole trip...It's overwhelming. For it to happen so fast...I-In a good way, of course...”

The big stallion nuzzled his friend. “It's okay, Dolce. When I'm tired, I get that way. Worse, even. In fact, when you rolled onto my chest, on top of my magazine,” he motioned to the crumpled up tabloid on the floor, “I got annoyed, instead of taking it in stride.”

Dolce Tempo blushed. “...I slept on you?”

Wave Function chuckled. “Oh, I guess that's right. You were asleep when the train took a sharp turn. Sent you right into me.”

Dolce Tempo looked away in embarassment.

“Why are you embarrassed? Not the first time we've snuggled.”

“Well, y-yeah, but, it's different.”

The scenery outside took a sharp change in theme, as the sea gave way to suburbs and industrial ports. Within 15 minutes, Dolce Tempo and Wave Function were out of the train with their bags and inside Grand Central Terminal. They slowly observed their surroundings, both noting how crowded the station was.

“Wonder why Manehattan's so crowded?”, Wave Function wondered allowed.

“Well, Hinnie in the Hills is playing. Also, I think there's some big fashion show this week, or something,” replied Dolce Tempo, satisfying the stallion's curiosity, but also placing a note of worry in his head, that she may have figured out his plan. He floated their bags out of the terminal, with the intention of leading them to their hotel. On the outside stairs to the station, he accidentally bumped one of the bags into a passing businesspony.

“Excuse me,” Wave Function nonchalantly said.

“Watch where you're going, Bub!”, replied the older, rough looking stallion.

Wave Function narrowed his eyes and took a half step toward the businesspony. “Hey, Dolce, look! Our first jerk! Take a picture!”, he declared, never once moving his gaze from the stallion in a crumpled suit. The two sneered at each other and parted, the latter mumbling improper language under his breath as he trotted into the station.

“East Coast ponies,” Wave Function spat, “bet they can't even spell the word 'polite'.”

“My Dad is from Manehattan,” Dolce Tempo replied coolly.

“Yes, Dolce, I've heard the story.”

“And he was such a rebel in his youth that-”

“At the age of 12 he hitchhiked across Equestria to go to a 'Celestia Hatchet' concert. I've heard.”

The two continued to trot along as Dolce Tempo began her retort, “Well, at least my Dad doesn't hate you.”

“Look, Dolce, I've explained already, the parents just don't really...understand how you function. The things that you do, I know they're always done with the best of intentions; they just haven't seen that yet. I'll never stop being your friend, no matter what they say. You're more important than them to me.”

Dolce looked up and smiled warmly at her friend. What a sweet thing to say...

Then Wave Function's face took a sinister look as a mischevious smile came upon his lips, “BUT, that all being said, my Dad's still better, being a Midwest pony with an understanding of common decency and all.”

And, there's the Wavius I know, Dolce Tempo thought, rolling her eyes.

It was a good evening for a stroll. The city was slightly warm and breezy, and the two ponies laughed and pointed out buildings as they headed toward the waterfront.

They soon arrived at the Intercontinental Manehattan. Dolce was in awe of the hotel, and especially her whirlpool and balcony-equipped suite, but was shocked when Wave Function apologized for the accommodation and promised that compared to the rest of the trip, this was “Schlupping it.”

When Dolce had settled in, Wave Function entered her room. “Okay, so our boat leaves tomorrow at 8. I'll be waking you up at 6:30 for breakfast.”

“A boat!?”, Dolce Tempo inquired, “Where are we going?”

“That's a surprise, silly,” Wave Function replied, booping her nose with a hoof. Dolce Tempo growled.

“But right now, get some nice clothes on. We're headed out.”

“Where?”

“It's a surprise.”

“Please tell me!” Dolce Tempo managed to successfully pull off a pair of puppy dog eyes.

Wave Function sighed and slowly inhaled before he choked out his answer, albeit with closed eyes. “Fine. We're going...ugh...to see Hinnie in the Hills.”

All was silent for a few seconds before Wave Function managed to garner up the courage to crack open one eye. All he saw was Dolce's mouth open before letting out possibly the loudest fan girl squeal of all time.”

Yeah, Wave Function thought, tonight's not gonna be a whole lot of fun.

Author's Note:

Next chapter will be longer. How will the musical go? Where are they headed that they need to take a boat? Ooooooooh, secrets, secrets!