• Published 12th Sep 2014
  • 486 Views, 11 Comments

Blackened Night - ZeirMakavar



Raging Knight is Princess Luna's personal guard. During a routine Diplomat's visit, things go anything but routine.

  • ...
 11
 486

4: Ambrosia

Chapter 4
Ambrosia

"But, you aren't a Unicorn. You're a Pegasus, and wouldn't be effected by Ambrosia, right?" The caravan leader asked, looking at him nervously.

"No, even a small trace of Ambrosia is deadly to both Earth Ponies, and Pegasi alike." Raging said, sighing a bit softly. "It's entirely possible that they used just above the lethal amount to ensure who ever ate the contaminated food, would die."

"Hm... I'll have to look over all of our food then." The caravan leader said, shaking his head. "As well, test to see if any other ponies have Ambrosia in their systems. If either is true, then we'll dump the whole wagon, and head into a town for more food."

"That'll delay our voyage for another couple of days." Raging said, sighing. "But, every precaution is needed."

The scholar mare sighed a bit softly as she sat down in the tavern of the small town they found themselves in, smiling a bit softly as she drank some Apple Cider, one of the few drinks she actually enjoyed. At the time, she was waiting a bit away from the other members of the caravan, for the Caravan leader and Draken Claw to return, so they can announce by when they will be leaving. "You never said your name." Raging Night said, looking over her still with suspicion. At the time, her hood was down, so her red mane was finally in view. "I can't keep calling you 'scholar mare' now can I?"

"No, you're right..." She mumbled a bit, taking a sip from her mug. "I haven't told you my name yet, because you still don't trust me."

"How can I?" Raging said, a soft smile on his face. "Every day that passes, you seem more and more suspicious. After all, the same day you joined up with us, we were attacked by what I think was an assassin. As well, the Ambrosia."

"I'm a scholar under Celestia, I don't need Ambrosia. After all, you need a permit, and a prescription to get Ambrosia." The mare said, smiling a bit back at him, as she shrugged. "So, by that alone..."

"Legally."

"Excuse me?"

"You need those to get Ambrosia legally. By the amount that we found in the food, I doubt they went through legal channels to get their hoofs on it."

"So, you're implying Somepony is doing extremely illegal things to prevent you from doing your mission?" She asked, a slightly shocked look on her face.

"Indeed I am." Raging said, nodding slowly. "Now then, please answer my question."

"Of course," The mare responded, chuckling slightly. "I'm Suns... Sunny Meadow." She answered, shaking her head a bit as she spoke.

"Well then, it's a pleasure to formally meet you then Miss Sunny Meadow." Raging said, raising an eyebrow a bit.


Raging Night sighed a bit as he tapped his hoof onto the table a bit slightly, shaking his head softly. "What is taking them so long..." He mumbled a bit, as he looked around slightly. He glanced over at Sunny Meadow, who had just received the food she had ordered a few minutes ago. "They should have been back hours ago.

"Ah, don't worry." Sunny said, smiling a bit as she began eating her sandwich, "They're probably off getting more supplies for the caravan." She said, laughing a bit.

"Let us pray that is all they are doing." Raging replied, shaking his head softly as he spoke. "After that Ambrosia scare earlier, I fear the assassin may try and get more creative."

"Oh?" Sunny said, in an almost inquisitive tone. "And what makes you so sure that they'll try and kill you? I mean, I know you said you were delivering some artifact back to the Griffon lands, but will they not try and continue to take the Artifact? Why kill you? And besides, how is it that they knew you'd be in this particular caravan?"

"I know not how to answer those questions Miss Meadow, but I still have that suspicion." Raging said, almost avoiding her questions. "I worry about what Princess Luna refused to say about the Artifact, and if what little she did tell me of it, ponies would kill to get their hands on it."

"Is it really that dangerous?" Sunny asked, blinking a bit. "If it is, then why send a guard? Why not bring it back themselves?"

"Again, there are things about this that the both Princesses refused to tell even me, and it is those things that worry me." Raging said, his thoughts returning to that strange mare from a few days ago. She wasn't in the group of in the caravan, and so she was the one pony who was most suspicious at the time. As well, she had called herself a teacher, which only confused Raging even more.

"There is a lot in this world of hours we don't understand." Sunny said, smiling softly at Raging. "Even us unicorns don't know even half of what The Princesses know, even less when talking of Duke Sombra or Lord Discord."