• Published 16th Aug 2014
  • 27,494 Views, 1,870 Comments

And Then There Were 10...Er...67 - Grey Ghost



A man winds up in Equestria with a working Omnitrix. Hilarity and craziness follow.

  • ...
147
 1,870
 27,494

PreviousChapters Next
Frozen Heritage

“So... we’ve been to two realms already, not counting this one: Nidavellir, where we met the dwarves, and Midgard, or Earth,” Jason said as the small group trekked through the snow and wind.

“So... that leaves what?” Twilight asked, pulling her scarf tighter around her. For this little expedition, the map had led them up into the frozen north, the glowing dome of the Crystal Empire visible off in the distance.

“That leaves six: Muspelheim (the realm of fire), Jotunheim (rock and ice giants), Alfheim (elves), Vanaheim (some gods), Niflheim (the realm of ice), and Svartalfheim (dark elves.)” Jason explained, taking a look around, “Today, we’re going to Jotunheim, where my people used to live.”

“We’re going to your homeworld?” Twilight asked, her eyes widening in excitement.

“This is my homeworld now, Twilight, though Midgard was more my homeworld than Jotunheim was,” he sighed, putting the map away. “We most likely won’t find anything, all the other Jotun are dead.”

“Oh yeah...” she said, looking away.

“Hey it’s no sweat Twi, not like I knew any of them,” Jason said with a chuckle. “You ready, Dash?” he asked, looking back toward their companions. Dash was wearing as much insulation as possible without hindering her movement. Behind her were Applejack and Pinkie Pie, both of whom fared much better in the cold, thanks to their hardy earth pony constitutions.

“Hay yeah! Lets do this!” Dash shouted, glowing and taking off as quickly as possible. She wrapped them all up in her contrail and quickly made her portal. “Here we go!” she shouted, diving through the portal, pulling them along with her. “Oh, come on!” she shouted once they came out the other side. “It’s cold here too!?”

“What part of ‘home of the ice giants’ did you not understand?” Jason asked as Dash landed, brushing himself off as her contrail faded away.

“Lotta trees,” Applejack observed, looking around. All around them were nothing but trees and snow.

“This realm is sorta just a winter forest,” Jason said looking around, “It’s weird... I feel like I’m home.”

“Perhaps your race had a special connection with their home?” Twilight asked, shivering ever so slightly, “It would explain how you’re feeling now.”

“It’s really peaceful, I kinda like it.” Pinkie smiled, watching a doe and her fawn in the distance.

“Well, we should try to find what’s left of Utgard, the Jotun stronghold. There might be something there that could be useful.” Jason said, looking at Dash, “Can you fly up and look for anything resembling a fortress or castle?”

“I’ll do anything if it’ll keep me warm.” Dash shot up into the air, soaring around. She grumbled to herself, cursing the cold that clawed at her body. She panned her vision around, trying to spot anything in the snowy forest. “Wait,” she called down to them, “I think I see something that way.” She pointed off into the distance, toward what looked like a mountain. Movement caught her eye and she turned, but there was nothing there. “Weird...” she mumbled to herself, descending to rejoin the others.

“Okay so, that way it is,” Jason said, starting to move in the direction Dash had pointed out. He looked around yet again, suddenly getting the feeling that he was being watched. “You guys feel that?” he asked, not bothering to look back at them.

“Yeah, like somepony’s watchin’ ya,” Applejack said, standing on alert. “Ya sure all them Jotun are dead Jay?” She didn’t want to imply that he was a liar, but something was watching them, just out of sight.

“Yeah AJ, I am.” Jason sighed, his eyes darting from tree to tree.

“It always feels like somepony’s watching me, and I have no privacy,” Pinkie said, trotting along rather slowly, “I wonder who’s watching me now? The IRS?”

“Pinkie, I’m not going to ask why you know the lyrics to an obscure 80’s song sung by a paranoid artist,” Jason responded, ever so slowly reaching for his sword.

“Song? What song?” Pinkie asked, looking at Jason quizzically.

Jason didn’t respond, running a hand down his face. “You all are going to drive me to drink, I swear.”

“But you already drink,” Pinkie quipped.

“Ugh! Just forget it!” Jason said, giving up on the conversation entirely. He froze, his eyes darting around. “Don’t move...” he warned, his eyes locking in between two trees. A moment later, a shrieking spirit horse erupted from the snow, charging at them. Jason drew his sword, slashing through the specter. It screeched in pain, fleeing back from whence it came.

“T-that was a windigo!” Twilight stuttered, looking around in a frenzy.

“What?! Those things still exist?!” Dash asked, her wings flaring out in surprise.

“What the hell is a windigo?” Jason asked, confusion written all over his face.

“Malevolent spirits that drove us ponies out of our original homeland. They fed off the negative emotions the three tribes generated from their fighting and nearly froze us into extinction.” Twilight recited, looking off toward nothing as she reread the passage in her mind.

“How’d they beat them?” Jason asked, looking back at the purple mare.

“Well, Private Pansy, Clover the Clever, and Smart Cookie realized the power of friendship and the positive emotions drove the spirits off.”

“Why does that not surprise me?” Jason asked with a sigh. “Well, at least we know Laevateinn hurts spirits,” he commented, looking at the sword with a smirk.

“Violence doesn’t solve most problems, Jason,” Twilight reminded, though the ponies were now grouped closer together.

“Hey we’re all friends! Those meanie windy guys won’t be able to hurt us!” Pinkie exclaimed, pulling her friends into a hug.

“Yeah... we should really find Utgard before Dash freezes.” Jason started to move again, the ponies right on his heels.

“Um... maybe we should hurry up?” Applejack suggested, looking behind them. Several dozen more windigos had appeared, watching them rather creepily from in between the trees.

“Okay... on my mark... go!” Jason shouted, firing off a Flare behind them. On that cue, the ponies bolted, making their way toward the distant fortress. “See ya fuckers!” he shouted, giving them a two finger salute while hauling ass after the others. The spirits howled in anger, quickly flying after the intruders, herding them toward the fortress like their master had ordered.


`
Jason threw the doors open with a thud, the ponies rushing past him into the fortress. He spun around, pushing them shut just in time to lock the windigos out.

“Welp, that was mighty close,” Applejack sighed, wiping some cold sweat off her brow. “Almost lost mah hat.”

“As if, AJ, you’re about as likely to lose that hat as you are your own tail or something.” Dash laughed, shaking the snow out of her coat like a dog. “At least this place is warm,” she said, trotting up to the roaring fire, sighing in relief as it warmed her bones.

“I think the most pressing issue is, who started that fire?” Twilight trotted over to it, looking into the flames. “If nopony is here besides us and the windigos, who started the fire?

“Maybe it lit itself?” Pinkie suggested, moving over to it as well. “It knew we’d be coming and lit itself so we’d be warm!” She gave a smile, and Jason just hoped she wouldn’t try to give the fire a hug or something.

“Ah much as ah uh... want ta believe that Pinkie, ah think somepony’s been living here,” Applejack said, joining the others near the fire. Jason just shook his head, ponies were still herd animals after all.

“Might as well get warm,” Jason said, sitting with the group. Though the cold didn’t really affect him, it was still nice to be warm. “So... we should probably look for whoever started the fire.”

“Later,” Dash said, holding her talons out toward the flames. She pulled them back after a moment , hugging herself. She sighed in contentment as the warm metal chased the chill out of her bones.

“Be careful Dash, we didn’t heat test those,” Twilight commented, watching the talons closely.

“You worry too much Twi,” Jason said, shaking his head. He pulled out some jerky, taking a bite out of it. “Hiring Gilda was a great choice.”

“Hey, pass me some,” Dash said reached out, her talon open expectantly.

“Fine, but that’s all you're getting,” Jason said, tossing her a few strips. She caught them, greedily starting to scarf them down.

“Ugh,” Applejack said, making a face, “How can ya eat that stuff?”

“We found that using her powers burns more calories than you’d think,” Twilight answered, looking a little green. “So, since ponies can eat some meat, we decided that jerky would be the easiest way to help her refuel since it’s easy to carry and calorie-dense.”

“And it tastes really good!” Dash said with a smirk, noisily chewing on said jerky to mess with AJ, who was starting to look queasy.

“Daaash, stop doing that before AJ hurls,” Jason said, flicking Dash’s ear. She frowned at him, finishing up her meal and wiping her muzzle off with a talon

“It has been eons since another living soul has visited Jotunheim,” a booming voice called from behind them. They all spun around, looking at the massive door that they had failed to notice on the other side of the room. Standing there, towering a good three stories over them, was a human-like creature with red eyes, wearing clothes made from various animal skins. He looked extremely old, and clutched his side in pain.

“Who the hay are you?” Dash asked, flying up to his face, trying not to let his size get to her.

“Small one, I am Utgard-Loki, ruler of this fortress, last of the Jotun, or so I thought.” He gazed down at Jason, who tensed up under the older Jotun’s scrutiny. “Tell me young one, from whose line where you sired?”

“Loki’s,” Jason replied, his grip tightening around his sword.

“Ha! I knew that snake’s line would survive Ragnarok,” Utgard-Loki laughed, though soon it turned into a pained cough. “I am glad to have seen one of my kin, I fear I am not much longer for this world.”

“Oh my, is there anything we can do to help?” Twilight asked, craning her neck up to look at him.

“Nay, my time has finally come, though I would not die like this,” he reached over his shoulder, pulling a large battle axe off his back. “Face me, son of Loki, let us battle unto death, so that I may die with honor.”

“We’re not going to–” she started before Jason stepped forward, sword in hand.

“I accept your challenge, Utgard-Loki. I shall give you the death you seek.” Jason looked up at him, eyes full of determination.

“Good, let us go outside, the fortress is a poor place for a battle.” Utgard-Loki lumbered past them, walking out into the snow. Jason followed after him, the harsh wind causing his hair to go wild.

“Jason! Ya don’t have to do this!” Applejack shouted, only for some windigos to block the ponies’ path.

“The souls of our kin, too restless to stay in the afterlife,” Utgard-Loki said, getting into a ready stance. “Do not interfere, equines. This is between us Jotun.” He heaved his axe high into the air before bringing it down at Jason. He rolled out of the way, firing off a Flare at the much taller Jotun. Utgard-Loki grunted as the blast caught him in the chest, staggering him somewhat. “I see you have been trained in the art of sorcery.”

“Self-taught, actually,” Jason said, moving forward, slashing at his legs. Utgard-Loki raised one of his thick, tree trunk-like legs into the air before bringing it down hard, knocking Jason off his feet.

“You have much to learn, including, it seems to me, how to be a Jotun.” Utgard-Loki drew in a deep breath, letting it out as a massive gust of wind. It sent Jason tumbling into a tree, his sword flying out of his hands. Utgard-Loki lifted the axe again, bringing it down on Jason, tearing the tree asunder.

“Jason!” Applejack shouted, sharing a horrified look with the others. Dash moved to help, only to be blocked by several windigos.

Under the ax’s blade, Jason grunted, having caught it with his bare hands. His eyes were glowing red and he was barely keeping it from cutting him in half, even with his berserker rage.

“That the best you got?” Hughes’ voice echoed through his head, “You can do better than that, Jason.”

“Hughes?” Jason asked through gritted teeth, “You're the last person I’d expect encouragement from.”

“What?” he scoffed, “Did you expect Hodgepodge to do it? He’s too busy selecting fight music.” He paused to gather his thoughts. “Now listen here, we may not be the best Jotun around but dammit we’re a fraction of his age and he’s a mortally wounded geriatric that’ll most likely drop dead from this. So are you going to let grandpa here cut us in half or are you going to give him the death he craves?”

Jason snarled, starting to lift the axe blade up. “Ain’t no way an old man is killing me!” he shouted, now at his full height. He tossed the axe blade up, causing Utgard-Loki to stagger backward. Jason quickly ripped one of the tree halves out of the ground, chucking it at the old man. It caught him in the stomach, forcing him to drop to one knee.

“Feisty one you are,” Utgard-Loki groaned as he got back to his feet, his wound bleeding freely now. He started to spin around, launching the massive battle axe at Jason. With an impressive amount of timing, he caught the axe’s handle and with a quick spin, hurled it back at the giant. Utgard-Loki moved to catch it, though his reflexes had been dulled with age and the ax’s head buried itself in his stomach. He fell to his side, causing a minor tremor, and coughed up blood.

Jason panted for a moment before approaching the dying giant. “I hope that was the death you were lookin’ for.”

“Aye...” Utgard-Loki said with a chuckle. “I wish it had been longer, though that is something neither of us could change. I will say... I am proud to know you carry on our blood. As the acting ruler of Jotunheim, I name you as my successor, and thus impart upon you the title of ‘Lord of Winter’.”

“Really? That easily?” Jason asked, looking rather unsure.

“We share the same blood and you have claimed my life, it is your right.” Utgard-Loki let out another wheezing cough. “Ah... Hel hath come to take me at last... farewell Jason. May the blood on your blade never dry and may your enemies always quake in your presence.” With that, the ancient giant took one last shuddering breath, letting it out before going still.

“Aye, and may Hel grant you a peaceful rest,” Jason said, watching the giant’s motionless corpse in silence for a few moments.

“Jason...” Twilight said, trotting over to him, the windigos no longer blocking the ponies’ path. “Was that really necessary?” She looked at the corpse, her eyes starting to tear up.

“Yeah, it was. He wanted to die fighting, Twilight, not like a feeble old man,” Jason said, sighing a little. Pinkie trotted up to him, carrying his sword in her mouth. “Thanks, Pinkie.” He took it from her and placed it back into storage.

“Um... what do we do about them?” Dash asked, pointing at the windigos. The spirits were looking at him expectantly, as if waiting for him to speak.

“I rule Jotunheim now, which means I rule them.” Jason looked at the windigos, nodding his head, and raised his voice. “I want you all to rest and be ready. One day I will need your strength and we shall show the realms that the Jotun are still a force to be reckoned with.” The spirits seemed to take heed of his commands, slowly fading away into the blizzard.

“Jay umm... ya look... different,” Applejack said with a frown. “Like, really different.”

“What do you mean?” Jason asked, raising his eyebrow.

“Look at your hands, sugarcube.”

Jason blinked, looking down at them. His eyes widened, staring at the claws that now tipped each of his fingers.

“It um... appears that your eyes are pure red now and that you have fangs,” Twilight said, looking concerned, “Are you okay? Is this normal for Jotun?”

“Yeah, I’m okay Twilight, I just look like a Jotun now,” Jason said, running his hand through his hair. This wasn’t going to go over well with the ponies back home.

“Can we go home now? I need to throw a party,” Pinkie said, looking at the corpse with a frown, her mane deflating a bit.

“Yeah we can Pinkie, I think we could all use a party.” Jason nodded to Dash, who quickly made a new portal. He turned to Utgard-Loki, nodding his head. “I’ll be back, and when I return, I’ll see to giving you a proper burial.” He gave a quick salute as Dash wrapped them up in her contrail and pulled the group through the rift, leaving only the howling wind to fill the silence of the empty realm.

PreviousChapters Next