• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 994 Views, 99 Comments

The Scion of Harmony - Thornwing



After everything she has accomplished, Twilight is set to face the greatest test of her life. Without her friends to help her - will she pass, or will she fail?

  • ...
3
 99
 994

Prologue

“The time has come. We cannot delay any longer. Are you certain she is the one?”

“I have never been more certain of anything in my entire life, Master.”

“We cannot afford another failure. This one is much younger than the last. How will she be able to overcome the Trials?”

“As I recall, the previous candidate did not fail your test, Sire. She merely declined to complete it due to, shall we say, mitigating circumstances.”

“I remember—be that as it may, my mantle cannot pass to one so incomplete. The Scion must overcome the Trials or suffer the consequences. It is the way of things.”

“I understand completely, perhaps more than anypony could. This time will be different. She may be young, but she has proven herself worthy of making the attempt. I daresay, she has been nothing short of marvelous through all prior challenges.”

“Was the last candidate any less? Your assurances are but hollow echoes of the past.”

“In all my days, I have never seen another quite like her. She comes by her talents naturally and draws strength from those around her. I have no doubt the Trials will seem like foal’s play to her.”

“Insolent whelp! The Trials of the Master are not a game to be trifled with! The powers of the Ancient Ones hang in the balance. She must be ready for the greatest challenge she has ever faced. There is no room for failure—not this time.”

“Calm yourself, Great One. I promise she will be ready. It will be my personal task to make it so.”

“See that you do. The future of magic depends on it.”

“Of course, your Majesty. I will see to the preparations immediately—and… speaking of magic, could I borrow some for the road?”

Author's Note:

Just two pals having a good ol' conversation. What do you think it means? Take a guess in the comments below.