• Published 5th Aug 2014
  • 933 Views, 6 Comments

Tiger Stripes - sunnypack



Luna zealously keeps a tiger plushie as she dozes through the day. Celestia gazes with exasperation but good humour. How did Luna come across the cute little doll? What's this game they've been playing for over 1000 years?

  • ...
2
 6
 933

4 - Year 4-5: Games We Play

Celestia lay on a bed of hay as she pondered she could do to help her fellow ponies. The ponies constantly looked up to Luna as she tirelessly protected her subjects from the creatures of the night and Celestia had admired her little sister’s quick proficiency in dealing with threats to their kingdom. The fruits of her labour had become obvious as the years wore on and Equestria’s borders had sprung up, now clearly defined and expanded far beyond what they had been originally.

Celestia had once again felt the extent of her uselessness. Though she held power equal to her sister, her sister had always been the better protector and her subjects adored the strong figure Luna represented. Petitions were always sent to the night court, for extra protection for a farm, or an escort for a noble or insight into a magical disturbance caused by antagonistic mages.

There were a number of royal duties for Celestia, of course, but they had been relatively mundane, merely signing documents on small civic works and other very petty wants of the citizens. Any document that bore heavy news had to be co-signed by Luna and it brought a level of frustration from Celestia that she was not recognised as an equal even as she was the elder.

Her discontent though, had not fed envy as it did before, but fed her thirst for knowledge of her own half of the kingdom where day and peace ruled. She found an increasing appreciation of diplomacy when she settled tribal arguments or delegated to other kingdoms where the touchy griffons and dragons had little appreciation with Luna’s overly aggressive attitude.

Slowly but surely, she shone with pride as she transformed the day court into a bustling centre of administration. Luna had visited on occasion and found that she too were pleased with the progression of their ponies from issues in culture, education and magical exploration where these schools had been set up by none other than Celestia herself.

Luna worked as hard as her sister and formed the two guards, her night guards were one of the fiercest in the world and Celestia’s day guard were the brightest and the proudest. Soon an era of prosperity shone on Equestria and both peace and harmony reigned throughout the kingdom of Equestria. Celestia grew steadily more confident until she had the grace and poise expected as an equal of Luna.

Celestia saw a shift in her workload as more and more ponies visited the day court and less and less ponies visited the night court. Celestia felt Luna getting more and more restless as time wore on but outwardly she showed happiness that her ponies were enjoying the peace. Her sister had been upset when her guard downsized but she had nodded with complicity understanding the need for the funds to be allocated into healthcare instead.

Just as Celestia had trusted Luna with the protection of her ponies, so did Luna with Celestia administration of her ponies. Luna rarely if ever intervened or attended day court but neither did Celestia in her night court. Luna started to feel the tugs of loneliness on her heart and she could now fully comprehend exactly what her sister had felt. Still, she felt her heart was weaker and every now and again jealousy would rear its ugly head and strike when she least expected it.

She decided she would handle it before it got any worse.

Celestia rose from her throne in the day court when she saw her sister approaching.

“Ah, Luna I have not been expecting you, you hardly attend my day court!” she yapped happily as she wrapped her sister in a hug.

Luna shook her head at her sister’s still unusual speech. She smiled as she withdrew but threw something at her sister.

“We have been lonely and bored of late, dear Tia, so we have made a game,” she replied gesturing at the object floating in Celestia’s aura.

Celestia looked at the plushie in puzzlement, bewildered by her sister’s proposition.

“It is exquisitely crafted as I can see but what is the game you suggest?” she queried, turning the doll upside down and around.

“Oh the doll is simply an item we have bought for mine pleasure but it is the goal of this game,” Luna explained.

“The game is simple. We shall compete for the doll using any means that we think thou shall necessitate. Thou shalt try thine hardest to hide, trap or otherwise keep thine doll for the day and the night. If thou winnest, we shall doth yield to thee for a summer cycle and thou shalt keep thine doll for that duration. However, if thou shalt lose thy doll, thou shalt doth yield to we for the summer cycle.”

Celestia grinned, liking the rules.

“Okay I will pl–”, she began but was interrupted by Luna grabbing the doll unceremoniously with her mouth after flash teleporting from her spot.

“Thou art too slow dear Tia, you must act faster to best thy Princess of the Night,” she teased but threw the doll back anyway.

“But thou Princess is thou sister first and will let thou keep thy doll for a day but will be fair game by thine evening,” she drawled arrogantly before exiting the grand archway.

Celestia had a dark expression plastered on her face.

But inside she was filled with joy.

Author's Note:

Another short chapter but I delivered our plushie one chapter ahead of schedule, whoopie. I say this because I have to apologise in advance, my course work kept me from publishing this earlier.

Next chapter: Luna gets a (unwanted) haircut.

I haven't proofed this section yet so there are bound to be mistakes but I will fix them as I see them or you call them.

Oh and here are where the emotional chapters will stop and the fun stuff comes back (at least for a while).

Until then, as always, thanks for reading!